TX TX - Caleb Harris, 21, Texas A&M University student, Corpus Christi, 4 Mar 2024 #2

Exactly. They paid for everything. Opinion: I assume the $20 is for play which is fair if your parents are paying for 100% of everything. I could easily see him getting bait to go fishing with it, or buying something fishing related since thats his hobby.
(wonders to self why I didn't have parents like this :p:p:p )
but all of the money is coming from one joint account so is he having to ask his parents about every purchase he wants to make to see if that is something they're willing to pay for or if it's coming out of his "play money"?
I know if my parents were paying for everything for me they would not agree to paying $15 to get two lunchables and a redbull delievered to me, they'd tell me to get my lazy butt up and go get it myself. Now if I was paying for it myself, different story.
I don't know if I'd say his parents were too controlling, but I think it's possibly he felt micromanaged.

There is no way I would know how many pairs of shoes my college student owned, or if any were missing.
Caleb's father said they found Caleb's Birkenstock sandals in his car, and other shoes in his apartment. Also the snapchat he sent to his sister late that night showed he wasn't wearing shoes outside. So they said it is "likely" that Caleb was barefoot, and he noted that this wasn't 100% certain, of course.

So based on the snapchat photo to his sister, and the sandals that Caleb usually wore, etc., the family were making this assumption.

but all of the money is coming from one joint account so is he having to ask his parents about every purchase he wants to make to see if that is something they're willing to pay for or if it's coming out of his "play money"?
I know if my parents were paying for everything for me they would not agree to paying $15 to get two lunchables and a redbull delievered to me, they'd tell me to get my lazy butt up and go get it myself. Now if I was paying for it myself, different story.
I don't know if I'd say his parents were too controlling, but I think it's possibly he felt micromanaged.

His father was fine with the order of the lunchables, Red Bull, and apple pie. His father said that this was a normal food order for Caleb, as he would prepare for his fishing expedition the next day and have some food with him while out on his kayak. The parents were obviously very generous even when Caleb would order these food items from convenience stores. Doesn't sound controlling or micromanaging to me. I'm guessing the parents had their own idea of what a monthly budget would look like and if Caleb didn't go much over that then they were okay with his purchases. I doubt he needed to ask for permission to make any purchases and if they were big ticket items he would give them a heads up on why he needed it. Sounds reasonable to me.

His father was fine with the order of the lunchables, Red Bull, and apple pie. His father said that this was a normal food order for Caleb, as he would prepare for his fishing expedition the next day and have some food with him while out on his kayak. The parents were obviously very generous even when Caleb would order these food items from convenience stores. Doesn't sound controlling or micromanaging to me. I'm guessing the parents had their own idea of what a monthly budget would look like and if Caleb didn't go much over that then they were okay with his purchases. I doubt he needed to ask for permission to make any purchases and if they were big ticket items he would give them a heads up on why he needed it. Sounds reasonable to me.
I’m having a hard time thinking his parents were so generous while also limiting him at 20$/wk play money.
We aren’t talking about some complicated lunch for the next day that he ordered.
He was slotted to go to school late morning the next day.
You can’t stop by the gas station on your way home from class to pick up two plastic containers and a can? Instead we are spending 15$ min in fees on an under 10$ purchase?
That’s just silly.
Somehow, I don’t think a parent that caps you at 20 bucks per week play money, would be ok with paying more in fees than what the food is worth. Or paying in fees on ONE purchase close to what the allowance is.
Unless, of course, they own stock w UberEats.

Maybe his family were happy to pay for everything via card payments from the joint bank account and they allowed him to draw out $20 in cash a week to spend as he liked, with no accountability about how it was spent,so not enough for drugs or alcohol in any significant amounts.

Exactly. I wonder that more parents don't give (or hide in certain clothing) some other tracking devices. However, I'll bet CH wasn't wearing anything on that evening/morning that he wore often enough to make it feasible for an air tag.

Consent issues, for one. College students are adults and, unlike an adult with dementia, they have the legal competency to decide whether they want to be tracked. Some parents will condition payment of a cell phone or car insurance on Life360 or FindMy always being turned on - but, again, that raises all kinds of ethical issues.

Air Tags will alert people close by if the Air Tag is “following” them. My kids are tagged and I get frequent reminders that “John’s Air Tag” has been following me. (This is the ideal scenario - the notification isn’t fool-proof). Notifications aside, there isn’t a way to effectively hide an Air Tag as it chirps when there are connection issues and there’s no way to disable the sounds.

CH is of legal age that if he (theorectically) were to have a secret (nefarious or not) income, he could have that money in a separate account.

More commonly these days, young people will exchange monies via apps like CashApp, Venmo, etc. So he could very well have money that no one is aware of.

MOO MOO

Exactly. I wonder that more parents don't give (or hide in certain clothing) some other tracking devices. However, I'll bet CH wasn't wearing anything on that evening/morning that he wore often enough to make it feasible for an air tag.
You wouldn't need an AirTag, just set up a family account on an iPhone and have them opt in to location sharing.

This has previously come up with the cases of Syd West and Yohanes Kidane. Yohanes's sister saw that Yohanes was at the Golden Gate Bridge and were therefore able to quickly focus resources on that area.

For Syd, it was explained that since she was living on the West Coast and her parents and sister were on the East Coast, that they wanted to make sure they knew where she was, and she was okay with that.

None of that works when the phone dies or gets turned off though.

Last edited:
I was an instacart shopper for a year in a college town. I promise that Caleb's lunchable order delivery using a parent linked card is totally normal. College kids will pay to have a single candy bar delivered late at night, or one canned energy drink. A lot of them don't work but you see them eating out and at bars all the time. It actually has made me jealous that I didn't get to go off to college and have everything paid for. It also makes me feel bad that I can't afford to give my son in college that lifestyle. He has to work and get student loans. Anyway after living in a college town for ten years I can say nothing is abnormal about Caleb's situation or his parents providing for him so that he can focus on school and enjoy his college years. I don't see it as controlling, I see it more as being very fortunate.

I believe the Nancy Grace interview she was saying he only is allotted $20 a week in spending money. (There has been so many interviews. I may be getting this wrong). The father also said they share an account. I don’t think he worked.i got the impression the parents pay for everything .
It seems as if Ubering his food order was a typical/routine thing for him. This would cost a lot more than $20 a week.

I was an instacart shopper for a year in a college town. I promise that Caleb's lunchable order delivery using a parent linked card is totally normal. College kids will pay to have a single candy bar delivered late at night, or one canned energy drink. A lot of them don't work but you see them eating out and at bars all the time. It actually has made me jealous that I didn't get to go off to college and have everything paid for. It also makes me feel bad that I can't afford to give my son in college that lifestyle. He has to work and get student loans. Anyway after living in a college town for ten years I can say nothing is abnormal about Caleb's situation or his parents providing for him so that he can focus on school and enjoy his college years. I don't see it as controlling, I see it more as being very fortunate.
I absolutely believe that they would have one candy bar delivered! But I shudder to think of the delivery charge. What would it be, roughly? $10?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexandercombes
Back