Australia- Nine people stabbed including 9 month baby @ the Westfield Shopping Centre in Bondi Junction, suspect fatally shot, Sydney, 13 April 2024

A heroic mother who battled to save her nine-month-old baby’s life during the Westfield horror stabbing had died in hospital.

The sixth victim is the mother of the nine-month-old baby, with witnesses describing how the 38-year-old desperately battled to save her child despite her own injuries by stumbling towards other shoppers and handing the infant to them.
The baby is understood to have been stabbed in the stomach and underwent surgery on Saturday evening after shoppers used clothes to stem the bleeding.

MEDIA ADVISORY: Critical incident declared after man shot by police - Bondi Junction​

Saturday, 13 April 2024 07:36:35 PM

EDITOR’S NOTE: The number of people deceased has increased to seven total, including the offender.

NSWPF Commissioner Karen Webb will address the media after six people were fatally stabbed and a man was shot by police in Sydney’s Eastern Suburbs earlier today.
About 3.30pm (Saturday 13 April 2024), emergency services were called to Westfield in Bondi Junction, following reports multiple people had been stabbed.
An officer attached to Eastern Suburbs Police Area Command attended and was allegedly confronted by a man with a knife.
The man allegedly lunged at the officer, before he was fatally shot.
The officer conducted CPR until the arrival of NSW Ambulance paramedics, who worked on the man; however, he could not be revived.
It has been confirmed the man fatally stabbed six people in the centre before he was shot.
The centre remains closed, and a crime scene has been established.
A critical incident team comprised of State Crime Command’s Homicide Squad and the Central Metropolitan Region will now investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident.
The investigation will also be subject to an independent review.
WHEN: 8.30pm TODAY, (Saturday 13 April 2024)
WHERE: Outside Waverley Police Station, Bronte Road, Waverley

WHO: NSWPF Commissioner Karen Webb

The mum has died. :( :( :(

38 years old, and died shortly after arriving at St Vincents Hospital.
Her baby is a little girl. She remains in serious condition at Sydney Childrens Hospital.

A man and woman, in their 50s, are in critical condition at St Vincents Hospital.
Two other females are said to be in stable condition.

I hope the baby pulls though but just imagine growing up without your mum because of one man’s evil acts.

Heartbreaking for all the families involved a lovely Saturday afternoon turned into carnage.

4 females deceased in shopping centre
1 male deceased in shopping centre
Plus the mum has now died
Plus the killer.

At this point in time, police believe ....... offender is a 40 year old man. Cannot speculate on his identification yet. Confident there is no further risk. Known to law enforcement. No terrorist ideation. Too early to speculate.

The police officer is doing well, considering the circumstances. Her family is okay. She will be formally interviewed tomorrow.

(Comm Karen Webb speaking now.)

Anyone else here in Oz trying hard not to break down in tears? I've got a frog in my throat, glasses are misting up. My kids both work at another Westfield's
Yeah, I'm kind of a wreck. Like I said, I have connections to Bondi, I worked at a centre which is now a Westfield. I'm watching figure skating on the SBS app and trying to distract myself enough not to burst into tears.

Such senseless deaths :(
Of innocent people
just enjoying themselves,
doing shopping,
meeting friends...

Mind boggles :(

Condolences to Families.

Last edited:
Anyone else here in Oz trying hard not to break down in tears? I've got a frog in my throat, glasses are misting up. My kids both work at another Westfield's
Yes, a friend's teenager was there, just walking in as it happened, she ran in the other direction and made it home. Therefore but the grace...

When I lived in Sydney that was our nearest big shopping centre.

Early impression doesn't suggest terrorism motive.
just my personal opinion, if it turns out to be gender based violence given the preponderance of female victims, I'd personally love to see that classified as terrorism. It feels like terrorism against women in this country sometimes with our "one woman killed a week" stat JMO (vs one man a month)

It does sound like he might just be a criminal of the everyday type. He might just have been a coward going for 'easy' victims, which honestly, is still utterly disgusting. Targeting a baby? Even most hardened criminals won't go that far. I'm glad he's not stealing our oxygen anymore, regardless of motive or lack thereof and I won't say more.

I hope the baby pulls though but just imagine growing up without your mum because of one man’s evil acts.

Heartbreaking for all the families involved a lovely Saturday afternoon turned into carnage.
Mom is a hero in this too by all accounts; she fought to get her child to others for help and safety and away from this killer.

I wonder if most of his targets were female ?
If you look up the thread a bit, south Aussie broke down the victims by gender.

Note that these are only the victims who have died - we have no idea how many sustained injuries which were not fatal, and we know from video footage that some men were seen actively engaging the perpetrator.

Last edited:

According to this, eleven taken to hospital, including the mother who died. Five went to St Vincent's including the mother, the rest to various other hospitals. The baby is at Sydney Children's.

It sounds as if there is a total of 14 victims.

(ETA: Which, I think, is different from what ABC has stated in the link above)

Commissioner Karen Webb speaking about the #BondiJunction stabbing. Four women died in shopping centre, one died in hospital. One man died in the centre. Further eight in hospitals including a nine month old.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissingPersonsMatter
Back