Australia- Nine people stabbed including 9 month baby @ the Westfield Shopping Centre in Bondi Junction, suspect fatally shot, Sydney, 13 April 2024

It sounds as if there is a total of 14 victims.

Commissioner Karen Webb speaking about the #BondiJunction stabbing. Four women died in shopping centre, one died in hospital. One man died in the centre. Further eight in hospitals including a nine month old.

Well, different totals from the ABC and the Guardian. I'm surprised we're getting any clarity at all right now, to be honest, it's all so hectic.

RIP to all the victims of today’s horrendous attack. My thoughts go to all their families.

I pray that the casualties in hospital pull through.

Great job by the police officer she really is a hero and likely stopped more fatalities today

I’m in Australia too, not too far away from this shopping centre. Absolutely devastating and incomprehensible.
So thankful for Australia’s anti gun laws. The outcome would have likely been even worse had the perpetrator had a gun instead of a knife.
Someone on the previous page said we might not find out about the motive. I’m sure that we will. The Australian people will demand answers and the police force will give it to them and assure them that there is no further danger. It might also sadly end up being a political issue depending on the perpetrator’s cultural / religious background.
My thoughts are with all affected by this senseless act of violence.

Last edited:
just my personal opinion, if it turns out to be gender based violence given the preponderance of female victims, I'd personally love to see that classified as terrorism. It feels like terrorism against women in this country sometimes with our "one woman killed a week" stat JMO (vs one man a month)

It does sound like he might just be a criminal of the everyday type. He might just have been a coward going for 'easy' victims, which honestly, is still utterly disgusting. Targeting a baby? Even most hardened criminals won't go that far. I'm glad he's not stealing our oxygen anymore, regardless of motive or lack thereof and I won't say more.
Yes, I was wondering this too.

I did a bit of research on the perp and found the shirt he was wearing, I believe is an Australia Kangaroos football jersey (Rugby league).

RIP to all the victims. This tragedy is an abhorrent example of humanity.

Attachments

• IMG_0825.jpeg
    IMG_0825.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0824.jpeg
    IMG_0824.jpeg
    31.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if this perp turns out to have mental health issues & may have been let down by the health system in some way.......maybe why he is known to the police.

Just a gut feeling i have.....

I did a bit of research on the perp and found the shirt he was wearing, I believe is an Australia Kangaroos football jersey (Rugby league). I also noticed in the press conference, he is 40 years old and known to police but not suspected to have any links terrorism.

RIP to all the victims. This tragedy is an abhorrent example of humanity.

I guess the killer didn't care 'whose' shirt he wore when he went on a killing rampage. But I am guessing that the Australian Kangaroos care that it happened to be one of their shirts.
(He is apparently also wearing their matching league shorts .. as stated in this Link)

They are our national rugby team, aren't they? Competing at international events.

imo

@Eloise
I didn't see your post when I posted mine.
It seems we were both thinking the same thing.
Canada has a past with this type of attack as well if that's what this turns out to be.

1989's École Polytechnique Massacre which is often referred to now as an act of "Misogynist Terrorism" - the qualifier being that it has no "political motive", but certainly is conducted as an act against and to terrorize women.

I do believe the term is becoming more acceptable and recognized for use when the clear nexus for a mass attack is motivated by gender.

Yes, a friend's teenager was there, just walking in as it happened, she ran in the other direction and made it home. Therefore but the grace...

When I lived in Sydney that was our nearest big shopping centre.
Oh the poor thing, I sent my son a text, making sure he was okay. You don't ever want anyone to go through this scenario. I'm glad she made it home.

Some of the reporting I have seen has been quite questionable....

One of the major issues some hostages from the Siege inquest had was with the media & what they were broadcasting live. ( Monis was watching it all after he made the hostages download the apps to watch news channels, he was often one step ahead of the cops, he knew where they were ) & showing live hostages escaping , putting the other hostages in further danger ( Monis didn't know some had escaped ) & it was only for 2 of the most level headed young guys ( Jarrod & Joel ) who were able to talk their way out being shot saying the media lie etc

Tactical guys should not be identifiable, but here they are with their faces shown today......

Reporting hospitals where victims were taken, before family even knew etc. Taking photos of victims on stretchers etc

Seems they didn't learn ..........

This video in this link is disgusting IMO

A heroic mother who battled to save her nine-month-old baby’s life during the Westfield horror stabbing had died in hospital.

The sixth victim is the mother of the nine-month-old baby, with witnesses describing how the 38-year-old desperately battled to save her child despite her own injuries by stumbling towards other shoppers and handing the infant to them.
The baby is understood to have been stabbed in the stomach and underwent surgery on Saturday evening after shoppers used clothes to stem the bleeding.
I CANNOT believe this perp stabbed a little baby in the stomach!!! WHY?????

Some of the reporting I have seen has been quite questionable....

One of the major issues some hostages from the Siege inquest had was with the media & what they were broadcasting live. ( Monis was watching it all after he made the hostages download the apps to watch news channels, he was often one step ahead of the cops, he knew where they were ) & showing live hostages escaping , putting the other hostages in further danger ( Monis didn't know some had escaped ) & it was only for 2 of the most level headed young guys ( Jarrod & Joel ) who were able to talk their way out being shot saying the media lie etc

Tactical guys should not be identifiable, but here they are with their faces shown today......

Reporting hospitals where victims were taken, before family even knew etc. Taking photos of victims on stretchers etc

Seems they didn't learn ..........

This video in this link is disgusting IMO

Agreed. The media has been so gross through the whole thing. The only ones showing any restraint have been ABC and even then its borderline at times.

Just my opinion, purely speculating here, but I truely believe Australia has a very serious drug problem (and alot of it is very poorly manufactured) they aren't doing anything about.

Is it because we are just naturally a easier target than a 12 stone man?
Also seeing some footage, it’s clear there were quite a few people who didn’t know what was happening. There were people walking directly towards the perpetrator, getting within a metre before realising he had a knife!

I wonder if many of the female victims were with children? I think your focus would already be split between shopping and making sure your children are still with you and behaving, and once you realise something is going wrong nearby, you can’t just quickly remove yourself from the situation; you have to make sure your children are safe too.

Although it definitely might be that women were targeted, I think it is, at the moment, a toss-up. There also may be a few contributing factors that explain why (thus far) more women were killed and seemingly more women were injured without it being that they were necessarily targeted.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haor.org
Back