WA WA - Cristina Ase, 61, Vancouver, 26 Mar 2024

I don’t know if the homeless camp is still in this location, but this article of 2021 is about a homeless man living in a who tragically died when his travel trailer caught fire. He kept it parked at the northern edge of Glenwood Park:

“Portland Fire & Rescue crews arrived at Southeast 88th Avenue and Southeast Claybourne Street just after 3:30 a.m. and found Roberts’ home on fire among a cluster of other vehicles and tents on the northern edge of Glenwood Park, spokesperson Lt. Laurent Picard told The Oregonian/OregonLive.”

Homeless man dies in fire, Oregonlive.com

If the encampment is still there, could Cristina have been helping the homeless there? But if so, what happened? If she’d gone there on those other dates, yet showed up at work just a little late, what could have happened this last time?
What I can't figure out is why she would go there with such little notice and seemingly without letting her husband know. Maybe he would have worried about her and not wanted her to go to a homeless camp alone so she didn't tell him, but that seems like the kind of activity you would plan ahead for, not decide to do on the spur of the moment. So why not tell work the day before that you'll be late the next day, rather than texting in on your way that morning?

Lots of things can go down in a homeless camp, but I can't think of a single one that would end with any of the denizens of that camp anonymously driving your car back home to your apartment and wiping it down with cleaning supplies.

Lots of things can go down in a homeless camp, but I can't think of a single one that would end with any of the denizens of that camp anonymously driving your car back home to your apartment and wiping it down with cleaning supplies.

(SBM) Exactly! Regardless of what she was doing at the park or nearby houses, the fact that her car turned up cleaned and back at home really throws a wrench in a scenario in which she was just helping people and it went bad.

I am curious why one bit of information I read, has not been discussed at all.
There was one article about a vigil being held, and that "most of her family is on Argentina".

Are there any possible immigration related issues she could have been covering up??

She had worked at the Center for a long time, and had mentored many people there.
This tells me that she has real confidence in her job, and possibly independence on her movements.
@AislingGray18 ...I hope you can continually chime in regarding the local environment.....could she have been protecting / helping someone in trouble in this part of town??

ps @AislingGray18 ...wonder how YOU pronounce YOUR name. My son's SO is Aisling...and she is Ash-LEEN.
The pronunciation is Az-leen, very similar. I was once gifted the opportunity to pick my god daughter's middle names, and this was what I chose. I have used it as a screen name for many years.

As for the part of town she went to...there is no reason for her to go to Portland to sell or obtain drugs, because it would be available within walking distance. Literally, just walk up to one of the zombie RV's on the back side of 7th street by Kaiser and you would be high. Portland is literally only 10 minutes away.

We have an epidemic of homeless, crime, meth and fetty addictions, and when covid hit, the homeless camps and criminals started to spread out, moving more and more east. Seven years ago her neighborhood here in Vancouver did not have the level of crime it has currently, that was when I moved. I used to live in the complex directly next to hers.
They need to reach out to the Al Angelo company, they own the complex, as well as a ton of other commercial and residential units in the area, some have to have video footage if that car actually left the parking lot

We don't know that it did, only that her phone did.

Honestly, it looks more and more like it is a DV situation, but I don't know that her spouse is the offender. But with the amount of women we lost to DV, I really hope VPD is on this. And I hope yesterday's officer involved shooting death doesn't over shadow her case. (They saved a lot of lives yesterday)

What I can't figure out is why she would go there with such little notice and seemingly without letting her husband know. Maybe he would have worried about her and not wanted her to go to a homeless camp alone so she didn't tell him, but that seems like the kind of activity you would plan ahead for, not decide to do on the spur of the moment. So why not tell work the day before that you'll be late the next day, rather than texting in on your way that morning?

As a local, this is what we are all saying. No one who is going to attack her and take her car is going to return it, let alone clean it then return it. It has to be someone she knows, in Vancouver. Not Portland.
And yes there are still camps and RV's with addicts all over the area she was at, it is all over PDX as a whole, mostly Multnomah County
But the area she pinged at , we locals refer to as Felony Flats. She was in a rough area.

Last edited:
Being a nurse, maybe she was helping /was forced to help someone in need of medical attention but couldn’t go for some reason.
Wondering if she has any children. Maybe one with a drug or gambling problem, who has caused friction between her and her husband, so she kept it from him. This could have brought her in contact with some very bad people, if she was secretly trying to extricate her offspring from some sort of danger. Could be the "kid" brought the car home after cleaning it. Was the car in the driveway that same morning, or did it show up later?

Wondering if she has any children. Maybe one with a drug or gambling problem, who has caused friction between her and her husband, so she kept it from him. This could have brought her in contact with some very bad people, if she was secretly trying to extricate her offspring from some sort of danger. Could be the "kid" brought the car home after cleaning it. Was the car in the driveway that same morning, or did it show up later?
I just asked one of her personal friends online if she has any children or family in the area, waiting to hear back - I won't link it cause it is a FB group but it is public for her if you type her name into the search bar

Hey all, I got word locally, that no, Cristina has no children of her own, and all her family is in Argentina. She only has her spouse and friends stateside.

I am trying to find out if her spouse has adult children. But I believe if he had kids in that area, something would have been said by now.

I'm sorry, I am new here. I have been following this story since the beginning. I wondered how the spouse did not know she did not show up until that night. Did they go all day without speaking to each other? It struck me as odd, but partners have their own routines and behavior. Also, nurses have access to controlled substances. I hope this was not drug related in some way.
Welcome to WebSleuths! @vilma262
I'm a retired RN. Working in the medical field, there were days that I just couldn't break away to call my husband. I worked 12 hour shifts.
I'm not sure if this would have been the case for Cristina but it's possible there were days she was too busy to call.
Okay, what the heck??

• "Ase's cellphone shows she left her home in Vancouver at 6:34 a.m. on March 26" - so that's an hour later than originally reported
  • "the phone shows Ase took the Southeast Foster Road exit and drove a few blocks through residential neighborhoods before spending more than three hours in a neighborhood north of Glenwood Park"
  • "The police report also shows that Ase misled her husband and her employer on at least three other recent occasions"
  • "The report shares another new detail -- Ase's car was found back at her home in Vancouver, and there was residue of a cleaning product used on some surfaces of the interior."
Please ignore this post if it's already been discussed.
I'm new to this particular case, but I can't help but wonder if there is any chance she may have had early onset dementia?

As there has been quite a lot of discussion regarding the encampments in the areas surround the park and where the cellphone signal dropped, this interactive map has been created by Portland to show all of the reported encampments in the city. There are indications of several notices recently posted and 1 recently cleaned up camp in the north side of Glenwood Park.

Last edited:
Welcome to WebSleuths! @vilma262
I'm a retired RN. Working in the medical field, there were days that I just couldn't break away to call my husband. I worked 12 hour shifts.
I'm not sure if this would have been the case for Cristina but it's possible there were days she was too busy to call.

I'm new to this particular case, but I can't help but wonder if there is any chance she may have had early onset dementia?
The circumstances of this case are so bizarre, I don't think anything is off the table, including the possibility of dementia.

(SBM) Exactly! Regardless of what she was doing at the park or nearby houses, the fact that her car turned up cleaned and back at home really throws a wrench in a scenario in which she was just helping people and it went bad.
I'm curious if her co-workers know if her husband ever drove her to and from work?

As there has been quite a lot of discussion regarding the encampments in the areas surround the park and where the cellphone signal dropped, this interactive map has been created by Portland to show all of the reported encampments in the city. There are indications of several notices recently posted and 1 recently cleaned up camp in the north side of Glenwood Park.

Thanks for sharing that. I don't think people who are not in Oregon and Washington can understand the depth of how many camps there are. And that doesn't take into consideration trap houses as well.

I know some truly horrific things have happened in PDX camps. My stepkids mom was pregnant a couple years ago and left her house and went to the camps so she could use opiates with no one finding out she was pregnant. She was about 7 months...and then she just wasn't pregnant any more. The baby did not make it, I can only hope it was a still birth, because she will not talk about it or admit she was pregnant, but I have photos of her in the camps, she was heavily pregnant.
terrible things happen in those camps

Repeated bouts of evenly-spaced dementia seem a bit of a stretch.
Fair enough, but we don't really know if she had done anything else that was unusual or out of character recently. We only know about the previous visits to this location because they were relevant to the investigation so they were listed in the search warrant.

That said, I don't really think she had dementia. I just don't know what she was doing.

Using information from MSM I put together this Google Maps, starting at intersection by their apartment, using the Foster exit, stopping at Glenwood park and then turning off the cellphone a few blocks away. These are all approximate general locations.

She probably did not drive that route. She more than likely went west on 7th st to Chkalov. Most of us avoid Mill Plain and take the back way to the freeways. It's just faster to stay in Cascade Park until you hit Chkalov and Ellsworth or Chkalov and Mill plain. It avoids a bottle neck we have at the free way entrance

That free way has a bad camp right there behind the Off Ramp Bar. I drew the route in red that she would have more than likely taken. Only a few blocks of difference, but if they are looking for video footage, they will check both routes

1713223627405.png

She probably did not drive that route. She more than likely went west on 7th st to Chkalov. Most of us avoid Mill Plain and take the back way to the freeways. It's just faster to stay in Cascade Park until you hit Chkalov and Ellsworth or Chkalov and Mill plain. It avoids a bottle neck we have at the free way entrance

That free way has a bad camp right there behind the Off Ramp Bar. I drew the route in red that she would have more than likely taken. Only a few blocks of difference, but if they are looking for video footage, they will check both routes

View attachment 497403
Good info! Thank you ! This could also give more opportunity for the car to be captured on residential doorbell cams. I don’t think we know (?) but I am curious if the car was returned and parked south or north of the apartment complex. North appears to have commercial shopping and a hotel where south would be residential, less busy. I wonder which would be more desirable for someone looking to slip away unnoticed?

Repeated bouts of evenly-spaced dementia seem a bit of a stretch.
Fair enough, but I feel it's good to discuss all possibilities.
She is at an age when dementia could certainly begin. (I will add that seeing the info about the car upthread has made me feel that dementia most likely isnt the issue here.) JMO

snipped

I have been wondering that.

Years ago a friend of my grandfather's repeatedly wandered away from the nursing home they were both in. She would walk about a mile down the road trying to find her Nonnie's house, sometimes knocking on random people's doors. Her Nonnie's house was like 500 miles away in a different state, but she was sure it had to be on that street.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ceishen637
Back