CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered at Home, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #23

I feel your pain. I have 2 friends who were in senior management positions with Apotex. They dealt with BS daily, for many years. One of them has never been contacted by LE.
I hope if your friend had information of value to add, they would have reached out to police? And not simply waited… indefinitely.

IMO many hundreds of people knew the Shermans. Including many senior staff at Apotex, members of Boards, friends, acquaintances, advisors, family, neighbours and on and on.

I am not an expert in policing by any means, but I do not reasonably expect the police to have reached out to everyone who knew the Shermans— even all friends. That seems like a wasteful exercise leading mainly to speculation. I would presume that if someone felt they had information of value and wished to share it, they would reach out to the police or Crimestoppers. It is possible they also reached out to the Private Investigator tip line. If that was the case, I would have hoped that, since then, they would have provided the information to the police as well.

I am not saying the police haven’t messed this up. It is possible that they have. But it is also possible that they have not. I don’t think anyone can really know. I will be interested to see what happens when and if the overseas records come in.

All MOO.

This brings up a question—don’t the affidavits seem to focus on who might be around Barry, opposed to looking equally close at those around Honey?

(Just going on a general impression. I haven’t looked at the affidavits with that in mind).

This brings up a question—don’t the affidavits seem to focus on who might be around Barry, opposed to looking equally close at those around Honey?

(Just going on a general impression. I haven’t looked at the affidavits with that in mind).
BS is so wealthy it is almost easy to forget that HS was also in a position to potentially be targeted for financial reasons too, speculation, imo. fwiw.
ANN BROCKLEHURST
JUN 10, 2023
''Devine also refers to “an unresolved civil suit that was brought against both Honey and Bernard SHERMAN and Apotex,” but I could not find this case in the Ontario courts online database. She further writes, “Counsel for Apotex and Honey Sherman’s estate trustee have both provided the names of law firms that may have communicated with Honey Sherman by e‐mail.” This is curious given that Honey Sherman is now said not to have had a will and, according to the Ministry of Attorney General of Ontario, most estates take between 6 to 8 weeks to be issued a Certificate of Appointment of Estate Trustee.''
''“Denise [the personal trainer] said that Honey would sometimes ask Barry to bring home large amounts of cash, around $5000 to $10000.” [p. 31, Yim 2018/02/08]
Honey did not spend that much money and it was Mary who spent a lot of money at U.S. Saks and Barry was never to see those bills. [p. 32, Yim 2018/02/08]''

Der geizige Narzisst - UMGANG mit NARZISSTEN
(The stingy narcissist)

Soo very interesting!
Unfortunately, I can't link the translation for you. Because of the copyright I can't post the content (and it's ALL worth it).
When you open the article, you may have the opportunity to click right and translate into another language. (I can do it and can translate into English.)

-.-.-
When I found the article, I was actually searching for something like "Do rich people cheat more than non-rich people?"

I think police in real life are so different than police on crime shows. Years ago I was at a client's house twice a day and between the 2 visits, someone got into her house through a sliding glass door that had a defective lock. I was the only person in her house that day and the cops never contacted me. It's obviously not a murder but I waited for them to call and nothing happened.

Der geizige Narzisst - UMGANG mit NARZISSTEN
(The stingy narcissist)

Soo very interesting!
Unfortunately, I can't link the translation for you. Because of the copyright I can't post the content (and it's ALL worth it).
When you open the article, you may have the opportunity to click right and translate into another language. (I can do it and can translate into English.)

-.-.-
When I found the article, I was actually searching for something like "Do rich people cheat more than non-rich people?"
That was an interesting article, the only one that i have read that addresses narcissists and the handling of resources.
o/t, Reminded of a narcissist i once worked for, when it came time to pay us (cash in those days), he would put out his hand with the money and when you reached for it, he would grip it harder so you would have to pull at it to get paid.

I was thinking that the pool room was the farthest away from the front door and somehow that factor made it desirable. Like did the killer want people to frantically search through the house looking for them and then at the very last go down to the pool room find them and be horrified?

Sometimes, there is a big lull behind the scenes before something surprisingly big comes up.
I do not believe the Sherman crime, meets the definition of a cold case. I think some investigative work is still going on. Definitely the TPS should be trying to identify the Night Walker.

Recently a number of cases in the area have been thrown out by Judges because of procedural errors on the part of the prosecution. There is no statute of limitations on murder, so time in reality, is on the TPS's side.

It is frustrating for us forum members that nothing is appearing to be happening. Even KD has nothing to report it seems.

So we wait.

So still nothing. Is this now officially a cold case, not to be touched for fear of annoying very important people?

Just because the newspapers aren’t running a front page story every day doesn’t mean that it’s a cold case. A cold case is one where there is no investigation going on, the detectives have moved on to new cases, and the case file and evidence is sitting on a shelf in a storage room.

Kevin Donovan hasn't said a word since his last article in December, I think. He was/is our only hope. I hope he still goes to court every 6 months but it seems this case is cold.
I searched with Proquest - he doesn't seem to have published anything in the Toronto Star for months, except the occasional Sherman update (and one story about vehicle thefts in Oct).

Of course, newspapers aren't what they used to be, as far as paying for investigative journalism. I think there must be some arrangement where one party can still call themselves a journalist in order to demand transparency from the court (rather than just a true crime author), and the other party only has to pay a small retainer or something.

JMO

I searched with Proquest - he doesn't seem to have published anything in the Toronto Star for months, except the occasional Sherman update (and one story about vehicle thefts in Oct).

Of course, newspapers aren't what they used to be, as far as paying for investigative journalism. I think there must be some arrangement where one party can still call themselves a journalist in order to demand transparency from the court (rather than just a true crime author), and the other party only has to pay a small retainer or something.

JMO
KD is the Star’s chief investigative reporter. MOO - I’m sure he is a full employee. We have no idea what he is doing behind the scenes on this or any matter. Just like we have no idea what TPS is doing.

I agree with the comment above- if TPS continues to have a full-time investigator on the case working on investigative leads, it isn’t a “cold case file”. This definition came up on the Houston police website:

“A case becomes “Cold” when all probative investigative leads available to the primary investigators are exhausted and the case remains open and unsolved after a period of three years.”

(Emphasis added). Here the latter applies but not the former— as far as we know there are still investigative leads.

Just noting, fwiw, that despite the thread title, i do not think that this is a cold case. imo.
A little surprised that KD's book about the Shermans is not mentioned in this release..
May 27, 2024 11:45 AM
''11:45 Guest Speaker Kevin Donovan
Toronto Star Chief Investigative Reporter''
''As the Star’s editor of investigations for many years, Donovan led many award-winning projects for the paper. He is the author of several books, including “Secret Life: The Jian Ghomeshi Investigation” and the “Dead Times” (a fiction novel). ''

KD is the Star’s chief investigative reporter. MOO - I’m sure he is a full employee. We have no idea what he is doing behind the scenes on this or any matter. Just like we have no idea what TPS is doing.

I agree with the comment above- if TPS continues to have a full-time investigator on the case working on investigative leads, it isn’t a “cold case file”. This definition came up on the Houston police website:

“A case becomes “Cold” when all probative investigative leads available to the primary investigators are exhausted and the case remains open and unsolved after a period of three years.”

(Emphasis added). Here the latter applies but not the former— as far as we know there are still investigative leads.

I remember Robyn Doolittle took a leave of absence when she wrote the book about Rob Ford. Maybe KD is doing the same.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat
Back