SC - Mica Miller, 30 yr old Found Deceased - Pastors Wife's Death Being Investigated, May 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip: quoted post was removed> I hope investigators are VERY serious and thorough in not only looking into Mica's untimely and tragic death but also in all the other circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:

Myrtle Beach pastor John Paul Miller, 44, stunned his congregation at Solid Rock at Market Common Church in South Carolina when, after a service in which
he had
laughed and appeared entirely at ease, he announced that his wife had died and that her death was 'self-induced.'

He then told worshippers that he would be taking 'a little break' and to leave the church without discussing what he had just told them.
Bolding mine.

First bolded : Just a little strange, as one would think he'd call in for a temp. pastor to fill in for a while.
Funeral arrangements, grieving, and suicide/self-harm is so sudden and unexpected -- for the surviving spouse -- it would put some people into a fugue mode, where they needed outside assistance to cope with everything, imo.

Second bolded : So, he didn't want them to even offer condolences, ask if he needed meals brought over, etc. ?
Omo.

Last edited:
***Correct spelling of her name is Mica*** - I have reported this.

The sheriff's office confirmed Mika Miller died last weekend at Lumber River State Park in the Orrum community of Robeson County, NC. Her death is now being investigated. She was the wife of a Myrtle Beach pastor, John Paul Miller.

"McLean added officers are in the process of gathering information from people in South Carolina and North Carolina as part of their investigation into how Miller died."

Obituary: Obituary for Mica Acacia Miller | Burroughs Funeral Home & Cremation Services

Facebook: Mica Miller
I’m guessing her husband wrote this obituary…

It's not very common for women to commit suicide using violent methods like guns.

Different Methods of Suicide Used by Men and Women
A controlled study of 302 individuals who had made a “medically serious suicide attempt” found that there were an equal number of men and women. However, “twice as many women used non-violent methods” suggesting that the biggest difference in suicide mortality between men and women is the method of choice, not suicidal intent.

Statistical evidence also strongly supports this difference in method. In 2022, the NIMH reported the most common suicide methods:

Women: Firearm (33.0%), suffocation (29.1%), and poisoning (28.6%)
Men: Firearm (57.9%) followed by suffocation (26.7%)
Men are twice as likely as women to attempt suidice using a firearm, which may account for the fact that 77% of people who die by suicide on their first attempt are male.

Another study titled, “Method choice, intent, and gender in completed suicide,” found that women were more likely to use methods such as “drug overdose and carbon monoxide poisoning,” while “men tend to use firearms and hanging” to attempt suicide.

That is very unsettling..... very very odd in my opinion
I feel terrible for the members of his Church. They have two services every Sunday, it's not a small congregation.

I'm not sure he is responsible for Mica's death, in that he physically had a role. But from what is being presented by her family and those who knew her best, he at a minimum contributed - JMO. No one gets in front of a public group and spotlights the personal struggles of their wife in the way he did, let alone in Church. It was surreal to watch. The real kicker was telling them all to stand, then leave and not to discuss it in the building. I wonder if they were confused?

Was Mica still living in Mrytle Beach? Also I'm still curious about the divorce filings I mentioned yesterday. Mica filed for divorce in October 2023, the case was dimissed in February 2024. Within a month, John-Paul Miller filed for separate support and maintenance, seeking financial support, then that filing was also dismissed in March. In April, Mica Miller also filed for separate support and maintenance, a hearing scheduled for June 5. What were the support filings about?

Person Number

Name \ Organization

Case Number

Case Description

Court

Location \ County

Role

Case Category

Case Filing Date

Disposition Date
@6419967Miller, Mica Acadia2023DR2602243Mica Acadia Miller vs. John-Paul MillerFamily CourtHorryPlaintiff110 - Divorce08-Oct-202312-Feb-2024
@6460851Miller, Mica Acacia2024DR2600419John-Paul Miller vs. Mica Acacia MillerFamily CourtHorryDefendant130 - Separate Support and Maintenance22-Feb-202411-Mar-2024
@6479031Miller, Mica A2024DR2600860Mica A Miller vs. John-Paul MillerFamily CourtHorryPlaintiff130 - Separate Support and Maintenance15-Apr-2024

Last edited:

But on April 15, just 12 days before she was found dead, Mica filed once more and, according to friends, also sought a no contact order against her husband.

Is a 'no contact order' the same as a restraining order ?
Sounds like their marriage had been in serious trouble for a while.
Omo.

Divorce in most churches esp. if the spouse is a pastor is a big no-no.
Also the most dangerous time in a relationship is to serve the other w/divorce papers ... or to say that you're leaving !
Omo.
JPM was divorced from his first wife, the Mother of his five children - obviously divorce is not great. But it's not a career breaker for all Pastor's. It does happen and they are not automatically asked to step down.

JPM was divorced from his first wife, the Mother of his five children - obviously divorce is not great. But it's not a career breaker for all Pastor's. It does happen and they are not automatically asked to step down.
One may not be, two, I think probably should be. JMO

Separation vs. Divorce​

In South Carolina, a legal separation is technically called a “Decree of Separate Maintenance” or “Order of Separation and Maintenance.” Legal Separation in SC occurs when the spouses live in two separate locations. It does not qualify as a separation if each spouse is living in the same house but in different bedrooms.

Legal separation in SC

An order of separate maintenance and support is different than a divorce. The order can still provide support payments, determine custody and visitation, and divide the marital property. However, the parties are still married. They cannot marry anyone else, and if one of the spouses passes away, the estate will be divided according to the inheritance laws that apply to married spouses.

While File for Separate Support and Maintenance Instead of Divorce?​

An “Order of Separate Maintenance and Support” is also different than being separated. Under South Carolina Divorce Law, the only way parties can obtain a no-fault divorce is to live separately for one year. Spouses do not need an order to live separately, but the order can help parties protect themselves financially and resolve custody and visitation disputes during the separation period. It’s also important to note that the parties do not have to divorce after receiving an Order of Separate Maintenance and Support. The parties can choose to remain separated. The Order of Separate Maintenance and Support will end if the parties divorce, a spouse cohabits with someone else, or if one of the spouses passes away. It can also be modified if there is a substantial change in circumstances.

How to Obtain an Order of Separate Maintenance and Support in South Carolina​

After filing a Complaint about Divorce and a Summons with the clerk of the Family Court, a spouse can apply for an Order of Separate Maintenance and Support. Once it is filed, the other spouse has 30 days to respond and raise any defense to the legal separation. The parties may request a Separate Support and Maintenance Hearing to determine each party’s rights and obligations during the one-year separation. A Family Court Judge when then hear the arguments and decide the issues or review an agreement if the parties have reached one.

Wait, she was only 14 when she met him ?
Is it possible some 'grooming' occurred ?
Imo.

Was Mica alone in that park where she was found ?
Or was someone with her ?
Omo.
<modsnip: not victim friendly>
I have a co-worker who is local to this story. Lots of people are upset about Mica's death and just don't believe it was suicide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Justice for Mica!
The accounts of abuse, then 2x attempting divorce plus additional no contact order? That’s called an escalation, and dire situation. Yes, he had been hurting her, and no, he was not going to let her leave.
Jmo

Why would she drive all the way to Lumberton to commit suicide, though? I live in Myrtle Beach, and there are plenty of wooded areas around here. If she wanted some place a bit more remote, she could’ve just driven a few miles down the road to Longs or Galivants Ferry.

But the one thing Robeson County does have? An INCREDIBLY HIGH crime rate. If someone wanted to harm Mica and leave her in an area inundated with homicide cases… a place where LE might not dig too deeply into an “apparent” suicide, Robeson County might have been their best option. Just sayin.

Why would she drive all the way to Lumberton to commit suicide, though? I live in Myrtle Beach, and there are plenty of wooded areas around here. If she wanted some place a bit more remote, she could’ve just driven a few miles down the road to Longs or Galivants Ferry.

But the one thing Robeson County does have? An INCREDIBLY HIGH crime rate. If someone wanted to harm Mica and leave her in an area inundated with homicide cases… a place where LE might not dig too deeply into an “apparent” suicide, Robeson County might have been their best option. Just sayin.
Winna winna, chicken dinna....that is EXACTLY what I said to someone earlier this evening. I make sure never to have to stop in Robeson County whenever I happen to be passing through on I-95. JMO

Guess I could've worded that differently ?
:oops:
Maybe, but the inherent truth of your observation still stands tall- divorce is a "no no" for pastors.

As @Knox stated, "Divorces dont break the career of all pastors and they are not automatically asked to step down".

Though pastors can survive divorce career wise, Knox also states in a discreet way that divorce and a career as a pastor dont mix well (references to "all" and "automatically"). Pastor dismissals can occur for both stated reasons and also for the vague "unstated reasons" ie- "The board wants to take another direction- now."

JPM might be operating without a board. Rather, he could be running the church as pastor and founder. That would eliminate "The board just wants to take another direction...." type good bye following his divorce from the mother of his five children (the more established the marriage is, the bigger the "no no" for a pastor).

But... the divorce still could have led to a decline in membership. As @SteveP noted, a second divorce- and a messy one at that, could cost the career of even an independent pastor as it could lead to an unsustainable decline in membership.

Facing the potential "two strikes and you are out- here comes a very fast pitch" can lead to desperate action in some.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member