GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I intend to check this case out (but not for a while, I am already massively scattered between this trial and the Olympics!).
Could someone give me a small synopsis of what exactly Becky Holt did when she had Jason Young on the stand? It sounds like she really blew it badly...wondering why she still has important cases.

TIA!

I will if nobody else has after I take another pain pill. It the was Jason Young trial-1st one. She was horrible but it was the first time ANYBODY had heard his story because he was silent for something like 7 years.....so she was ill prepared. But even I could have done better. Give me a few minutes to get my head feeling better.....or perhaps somebody else can give you more details in the meantime.

:stormingmad: My gut says she will just get Accessory.
I hope my gut is WAY OFF:cursing:

I will if nobody else has after I take another pain pill. It the was Jason Young trial-1st one. She was horrible but it was the first time ANYBODY had heard his story because he was silent for something like 7 years.....so she was ill prepared. But even I could have done better. Give me a few minutes to get my head feeling better.....or perhaps somebody else can give you more details in the meantime.

:tyou: NC.

No rush, I will be here for the duration :seeya:

Take care of your back and feel better :)

I intend to check this case out (but not for a while, I am already massively scattered between this trial and the Olympics!).
Could someone give me a small synopsis of what exactly Becky Holt did when she had Jason Young on the stand? It sounds like she really blew it badly...wondering why she still has important cases.

TIA!

Here have a look for yourself..

Defense direct: http://www.wral.com/specialreports/michelleyoung/video/9764909/

Defense direct: http://www.wral.com/specialreports/michelleyoung/video/9764919/

Defense direct: http://www.wral.com/specialreports/michelleyoung/video/9765920/

States cross, redirect, recross: http://www.wral.com/specialreports/michelleyoung/video/9766817/

Thankfully it was a hung jury, retrial he didn't take the stand but his testimony from the 1st trial was played for the 2nd jury.

:gthanks: Tiger.
I have bookmarked to check out when I can squeeze it in.
Gonna go decompress in a few, watch some SOCHI Hockey :)

Here have a look for yourself..

Defense direct: http://www.wral.com/specialreports/michelleyoung/video/9764909/

Defense direct: http://www.wral.com/specialreports/michelleyoung/video/9764919/

Defense direct: http://www.wral.com/specialreports/michelleyoung/video/9765920/

States cross, redirect, recross: http://www.wral.com/specialreports/michelleyoung/video/9766817/

Thankfully it was a hung jury, retrial he didn't take the stand but his testimony from the 1st trial was played for the 2nd jury.

Well they didn't know that Jason Young was going to take the stand, but when he did and Becky then did the cross-examination, she only questioned him for 55 minutes, so while some of the questions were good ones, he, just like Amanda, was able to slime answers out as quickly as a question could be asked. The frustrating thing about watching that cross-examination of Jason Young was that so many good avenues for cross-examination were ignored or missed.

12:25 WRAL News
12:41
Amanda Lamb (WRAL)@alamb
twitter_bird.png

#AmandaHayes jurors go home for the day due to weather. 2 more witnesses to go and then closing arguments when court resumes. @WRAL

Source:

http://www.wral.com/fearful-amanda-hayes-wanted-to-leave-husband-she-says/13383405/
WRAL - Raleigh, NC - 2/12/14 -- "Live" update box within linked article

TIA!

It's not really what she did, but what she didn't do. I think the prosecution was completely caught off guard when he took the stand, and they did not seem to have any questions for him. Becky went off the top of her head and did the best she could under the circumstances, but it was short and appeared like a sparring match between the two. Ultimately, Jason Young had the upper hand and that trial resulted in a hung jury.

In the re-trial, his testimony was used against him, and it resulted in a conviction, but now we have an appeal and a new trial.

:stormingmad: My gut says she will just get Accessory.
I hope my gut is WAY OFF:cursing:

If the rebuttal witness is to impeach the defendant's testimony, then it could result in a murder conviction. I would like to see closing arguments draw a clear connection between:

• the incident that resulted in Laura's death, when Amanda was present,
  • Amanda's decision to take the children out while Grant hid the body in the bathroom,
  • clear explanation that when Sha had the children, Grant and Amanda were cutting up the body,
  • quick change of plans from packing and moving to visiting Texas
  • description of Amanda fearing for her life and then planning a life with Grant

Well they didn't know that Jason Young was going to take the stand, but when he did and Becky then did the cross-examination, she only questioned him for 55 minutes, so while some of the questions were good ones, he, just like Amanda, was able to slime answers out as quickly as a question could be asked. The frustrating thing about watching that cross-examination of Jason Young was that so many good avenues for cross-examination were ignored or missed.

I'm not familiar with that trial, but the same thing happened in this case today. Justice for Laura was not achieved IMO. Hope the jury finds it for her and her family.

I'm not familiar with that trial, but the same thing happened in this case today. Justice for Laura was not achieved IMO. Hope the jury finds it for her and her family.

Justice is provided by the jury in their decision. There can be a great cross-exam and the jury can still decide something different.

In Amanda's case there were so many lies she told, and I think the jury would have to have been asleep at the wheel to miss at least some of them. Also, by letting Amanda get some of the upper hand, it shows she is no shrinking violet, and if she could handle herself on the witness stand then why is it she couldn't handle herself with her short little husband?

The judge is trying to help the prosecution along by suggesting that the entire 6 hours should be allowed.

I know,I am hoping this won't be an appeal issue (defense saying judge was trying to help prosecution)??

OMG Juror received flowers for Vday AT the courthouse.

What the heyho?!?!

ETA- GRRRR, turning off cameras when Judge is going to question juror about them.

What? But it's not even val. Day yet?

I know,I am hoping this won't be an appeal issue (defense saying judge was trying to help prosecution)??

No, that was my opinion. The prosecution said that they want to present specific segments from 6 hours of interrogation to demonstrate Grant's state of mind after the murder. They want to draw a conclusion that his psychological state was deteriorating and that is evidenced 10 days later.

The judge asked the prosecution if they would like to ask to have the entire 6 hours shown so that the crazy comments are in context. It seemed like the prosecution was confused by this. Although they had a chance to make a counter request, it sounded like they were expecting that the request would be denied. They've had a few days to consider this request and prepare a response. If I understood correctly, in the end, the prosecution agreed that the defence could present just that content that supports the defence arguments. I think that's a mistake, as crazy comments in context is better than just crazy comments.

Justice is provided by the jury in their decision. There can be a great cross-exam and the jury can still decide something different.

In Amanda's case there were so many lies she told, and I think the jury would have to have been asleep at the wheel to miss at least some of them. Also, by letting Amanda get some of the upper hand, it shows she is no shrinking violet, and if she could handle herself on the witness stand then why is it she couldn't handle herself with her short little husband?

I agree, just feeling disappointed. I do respect the PT and all LE's hard work.

12:25 WRAL News
12:41
Amanda Lamb (WRAL)@alamb
twitter_bird.png

#AmandaHayes jurors go home for the day due to weather. 2 more witnesses to go and then closing arguments when court resumes. @WRAL

Source:

http://www.wral.com/fearful-amanda-hayes-wanted-to-leave-husband-she-says/13383405/
WRAL - Raleigh, NC - 2/12/14 -- "Live" update box within linked article

They should have released them sooner. People already abandoning cars at Penny Rd/Lake Wheeler in southern Raleigh. Cars unable to climb hills on Creedmoor in NW Raleigh.

I agree with Boz, if GH's demeanour is relevant then so too is AH's demeanour. If she was in so much fear for her life it would show during her interview. She should be overwhelmed & more than likely have panic attacks & she would see the detectives as her rescuers. I have a feeling what we saw on the stand is the demeanour she had during her interviews. I'm astounded that most comments from readers on WRAL regarding her testimony believe she is telling the truth & that she'll be found not guilty.

Omg. That is scary. What is the world coming to?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member