LA LA - Shane Fell, 36, Marrero, 9 June 2011 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From reading the report I gathered that the incident is two fold that the state troopers are concerned with the actual motor vehicle accident and that local police have a file on SF as a missing person.

Is the file still open or have they closed the case?

Given that no insurance card was found......was the vehicle insured??

Given that it was a ''roll-over'' the insurance card ((maybe normally tucked in the visor or glovebox or console)) could have easily been lost.

I imagine that LE becomes pretty hardened by the number of people who flee accident scenes because of impairment, lack of insurance or driving while suspended etc. It's hard on the family to hear that for sure.

yes the video was shot east of the wreck site about 1/2 mile away......

From reading the report I gathered that the incident is two fold that the state troopers are concerned with the actual motor vehicle accident and that local police have a file on SF as a missing person.

Is the file still open or have they closed the case?

Given that no insurance card was found......was the vehicle insured??

Given that it was a ''roll-over'' the insurance card ((maybe normally tucked in the visor or glovebox or console)) could have easily been lost.

I imagine that LE becomes pretty hardened by the number of people who flee accident scenes because of impairment, lack of insurance or driving while suspended etc. It's hard on the family to hear that for sure.

BBM. I think you are absolutely correct. I will tell you that this is what haunts me about the entire deal. I think Shane knew he was in trouble, and I think he knew he had to face it. There is nothing to indicate that he would flee police. His brother was on the way. When you have family support like that, who runs when your brother is on his way? Not this guy. I ain't the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I can promise you that much.

Something else happened. The police, although anesthesized because of what they usually see, are wrong in this case.

That is the wrong address.......He live with in three miles of wreck site......

Which direction was Shane's house from the scene?

East on River Rd. towards Marrero Rd?
Or West on River Rd. towards the F. Christiana Warehouse?

Likely LSP was more concerned about DUI/Leaving scene than doing a full accident investigation as would happen in a fatal wreck.

I can't tell you how fast a "maroon" car becomes a "red" car with only a 3 character box available on the accident report to write the car color.

Likewise he(LSP) probably saw a hole in the driver's side windshield and with no witness or driver, checked the no seat belt usage box.
It is easy to determine if seat belt was used, unless the speed was very low.

Kenny, what property had the camera that videoed the 11 cars? A property West of the scene?
We was never told how many camera's had footage...we was also told they had 100 hours of told tape from all camera's..but i do know some footage was EAST OF WRECK SITE

wreck site-1 (1).jpg
This is my first time at uploading a pic....
This pic show the wreck site facing east and at the bottom you can see Shane's tire tracks...The car came to rest just east of those yellow railroad rails that are concreted in the ground to keep all the cars from ripping out the fence

Hmmm.. that seems to contradict later in the report where it says:

Investigation revealed vehicle #1 was traveling on LA 541 eastbound west of Marrero Road when it began to go off road to the right

Somebody early in this thread did a really good map that showed the spot he was at in relation to the bar and his house. From that map, it appeared he was off in the middle of nowhere, and should not have needed to be there to get from the bar to his home.

Under "Direction before Crash" they have him headed West.

TIRE TRACKS.JPG
The red arrows points to tire tracks...The dark spot in dirt is were right front tire started digging in the mud...The bottom arrows show Shane left tire tracks Shane drove over the top of ditch then turn left to get out the ditch..right front tire dug in the mud and the car rolled...You can see by the pic there was very little water in ditch....

More food for thought,

Could LE have REALLY mishandled this from the beginning, where Shane was there, waiting for Brett, and for whatever reason he was told to move away from the scene by a less experienced cop, who may not have followed by-the-book procedures? Perhaps, in that process, something bad happened to Shane that LE personnel saw. However, because they want to "protect their own." they acted real secretly about it, because someone on the scene may have not handled LE protocol the right way?

A confused, injured, disoriented, and possibly intoxicated Shane takes the wrong advice from LE and that resulted in tragedy. LE thinks, "Let's treat this as a DUI to cover our own "you know whats."

Maybe I am totally wrong here. But you look at the circumstances of LE in some areas of Louisiana, where proper protocol was not followed. Take Hurricane Katrina for example. Sometimes its easier to engage in a political cover up rather than find out what really happened.

Now, there are wonderful people in LE as well. In that area, anywhere and everywhere. But there's always that phrase of "one bad apple, spoils the bunch." And considering how much of the evidence from the accident scene does not jive well with the police report, people have to ask. Why is there secrecy? Why haven't LE been more helpful in this case? What if anything are they hiding? Why?

Satch

View attachment 44240
The red arrows points to tire tracks...The dark spot in dirt is were right front tire started digging in the mud...The bottom arrows show Shane left tire tracks Shane drove over the top of ditch then turn left to get out the ditch..right front tire dug in the mud and the car rolled...You can see by the pic there was very little water in ditch....
Kenny, do you think he could have been traveling west and did a 180 in the road? Say he originally turned west instead of east onto River Rd. from Barataria by mistake. When he saw the overhead pipe, he realized he was headed in the wrong direction, so he tried to turn around to head back east. Is that plausible?

Kenny, do you think he could have been traveling west and did a 180 in the road? Say he originally turned west instead of east onto River Rd. from Barataria by mistake. When he saw the overhead pipe, he realized he was headed in the wrong direction, so he tried to turn around to head back east. Is that plausible?

Yes we do think that...but the crazy thing is they have traffic camera's in that area but ...WE WAS TOLD..none had shane's plate recorded...and they have a guard shack about 200 yards from wreck site and they didn't see anybody turn around....Then that pipe yard was work 24 hours and they did see any body turn around....Then pipe yard people was the one's who see the PT CRUISER STOP and turn by Shane but the police SAY...they couldn't find those people to talk too.......YA RIGHT

Yes we do think that...but the crazy thing is they have traffic camera's in that area but ...WE WAS TOLD..none had shane's plate recorded...and they have a guard shack about 200 yards from wreck site and they didn't see anybody turn around....Then that pipe yard was work 24 hours and they did see any body turn around....Then pipe yard people was the one's who see the PT CRUISER STOP and turn by Shane but the police SAY...they couldn't find those people to talk too.......YA RIGHT
I didn't realize there were witnesses at the pipe yard. Now why wouldn't those people in the PT Cruiser come forward? If they live anywhere in the area they know about Shane!

ETA: I guess the point is that even if the PT Cruiser people did talk to JPSO, your family might not have been informed.

I will be honest, when I first read about this case, I thought the family was just deluded in their hope that the signs and billboards would help somehow. But I totally understand it now - they were trying to reach those people who were witnesses. But three years later, the silence is deafening.

I didn't realize there were witnesses at the pipe yard. Now why wouldn't those people in the PT Cruiser come forward? If they live anywhere in the area they know about Shane!

ETA: I guess the point is that even if the PT Cruiser people did talk to JPSO, your family might not have been informed.

I knew I'd seen a reference to a PT Cruiser before:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - LA LA - Shane Fell, 36, Marrero, 9 June 2011

I just watched a youtube video Brett made. He says that after watching video, there was approximately 11 cars, including a maroon PT Cruiser.

Question,

In the event sequence coding, why is it said a jackknife was used? I would presume to get into the car. But it seems that Shane was treated by LE more like a DUI criminal than a missing person.

Satch

The code is actually DD which is "Ditch", not D which is "jackknife" (as in a jackknifed trailer)

The LADPS report is so noticeably silent in the narrative wrt "Witness Names, Addresses, Phone Numbers, Etc"

Would it be of benefit to put flyers on the cars of the employees at the pipe plant asking for any information re the accident. I know that the family has offered a reward....just wondering if that would help.

begs the question ---- did not the traffic camera catch pt cruiser plate?:tantrum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bella257