GUILTY NY - Garnett Spears, 5, dies of salt poisoning, Chestnut Ridge, 23 Jan 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
On phone so can't snip, but this article has the text of the jury instruction for depraved indifference.
I don't believe she necessarily intended to kill him, but to me she totally fulfills the part about torture!

I don't think she wanted to kill him either. Although that may have been more merciful than what she had been putting him through. I think that she meant to keep him sick and went too far and he died.

:tyou: Hoosgirl!!!!

From your link:

(snip)

"A person has a depraved indifference to human life when that person has an utter disregard for the value of human life – a willingness to act, not because he or she means to cause grievous harm to the person who is killed but because he or she simply does not care whether or not grievous harm will result," according to New York's penal law resources used by judges to instruct juries. "In other words, a person who is depravedly indifferent is not just willing to take a grossly unreasonable risk to human life – that person does not care how the risk turns out. Depraved indifference to human life reflects a wicked, evil or inhuman state of mind as manifested by brutal, heinous and despicable acts."
It adds, "A person acts with a depraved indifference to human life when, having a conscious objective not to kill but to harm, he or she engages in torture or a brutal, prolonged and ultimately fatal course of conduct against a particularly vulnerable victim."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:tyou: Hoosgirl!!!!

From your link:

(snip)

"A person has a depraved indifference to human life when that person has an utter disregard for the value of human life – a willingness to act, not because he or she means to cause grievous harm to the person who is killed but because he or she simply does not care whether or not grievous harm will result," according to New York's penal law resources used by judges to instruct juries. "In other words, a person who is depravedly indifferent is not just willing to take a grossly unreasonable risk to human life – that person does not care how the risk turns out. Depraved indifference to human life reflects a wicked, evil or inhuman state of mind as manifested by brutal, heinous and despicable acts."
It adds, "A person acts with a depraved indifference to human life when, having a conscious objective not to kill but to harm, he or she engages in torture or a brutal, prolonged and ultimately fatal course of conduct against a particularly vulnerable victim."

rbbm

IMHO, that's it right there, folks. That is what should do it for the jury.

Guilty! 2nd Degree!

Lee Higgins ‏@LeeHiggins 1m1 minute ago
Spears is guilty

Lee Higgins @LeeHiggins · 1m 1 minute ago
Spears is guilty
0 replies 0 retweets 1 favorite

Thank you Jury!
:tears:

Oh, thank you Jury, for doing the right thing for Garnett-Paul Spears, who should still be alive today.

Excellent!

Rest in Peace, little Garnett. Many people are thinking of you today.

Im glad to hear she was convicted. So what are the sentencing guidelines here?!

Lee Higgins ‏@LeeHiggins 21m21 minutes ago
April 8 sentencing

Minimum 15 to 25 max. Hopefully she will be beyond childbearing age when she gets out!

I spent the whole weekend reading the thread. Ashamed to say that after first hearing about the case, I didn't follow it. There wasn't even much coverage on NYC news...though it was mentioned last night- waiting for the verdict. What a horrible crime!
Rest, sweet Garnett. Justice is yours.
oxoxox

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm