Atlantic City Eastbound Strangler 4 Women Found Dead behind Motel Egg Harbor Twp, Nov 2006

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/marsh_killings/story/7000398p-6860203c.html

Bodies of Egg Harbor Twp. victims to be released soon

By MADELAINE VITALE Staff Writer, (609) 272-7218
Published: Friday, December 8, 2006
MAYS LANDING — The bodies of four women found dead in a watery ditch behind dilapidated motels on the Black Horse Pike in Egg Harbor Township Nov. 20 will be released to family members within days, Atlantic County Prosecutor Jeffrey S. Blitz said Wednesday.
“There are two laboratories that are involved in testing these bodies,” Blitz said. “I am waiting for further information from the labs. Once the appropriate evidence is processed I anticipate the bodies will be released in a few days.”

He would not indicate what tests were being done on the bodies of Kim Raffo, 35, of Atlantic City, Tracy Ann Roberts, 23, of Atlantic City, Barbara V. Breidor, 42, of Ventnor, and 20-year-old Molly Jean Dilts, who came to Atlantic City just weeks before her death.

The women, known prostitutes, were found faces down, heads pointed to the east, in a marsh between Route 40 and the Atlantic City Expressway. They were clothed but their feet were bare. Their bodies were placed several feet apart in a line. The last to die, Dilts, died about a month before the grisly discovery.

All of the deaths are being investigated as homicides, although only Raffo's and Roberts' deaths were officially declared as such. Autopsies revealed Raffo was strangled and Roberts died from asphyxia.

I really hope these poor girls were dead before they got to the ditch.

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/story/7015011p-6874658c.html

TV crime program to feature slayings in West Atlantic City
By LYNDA COHEN Staff Writer, (609) 272-7257
Published: Wednesday, December 13, 2006
The story of four slain prostitutes dumped behind a string of seedy motels along the road into Atlantic City is so big, “America's Most Wanted” didn't have enough room for it last week.
The 10-minute segment was twice as long as the spot left for it, so the piece will air at 9 p.m. Saturday on Fox.

“One thing we wanted to do is humanize the victims,” producer Peter Gillespie said. “We went down on the streets and talked to a lot of the girls who work the streets down there. It shows how hard it is and how easily they can become victims.”

The slayings of Kim Raffo, Tracy Ann Roberts, Barbara V. Breidor and Molly Jean Dilts have garnered national attention, which piqued the interest of “America's Most Wanted.”

Gillespie started out trying to cover the story “the old-fashioned way” by just driving by the area. But when the cameras were spotted, the prostitutes turned away. So he stood on the corner of Tennessee Avenue and the working girls came, one by one.

He said he was not surprised that the women selling themselves do it for the drugs and not a pimp.
“There's no family or group of people who have never been touched by drug abuse,” Gillespie said.

What did surprise him was the money the women said they make. While they only charge about $10 to $20 per trick, they are making $500 to $1,000 per night, he said.

“To me it's more interesting, who are these johns? Who are these guys?” Gillespie said. “That's more mind-boggling.”

Atlantic County Prosecutor Jeffrey S. Blitz did not sit down for an interview with “America's Most Wanted” but did cooperate with the production

“Yes, we have been approached and we have been cooperative,” he said. “We are looking for information from the public, which is always helpful.”

No updates on the investigation have been made public. Blitz did say the bodies of the four women will be released by the end of the week.

“All that I could indicate is there are laboratory issues,” he said of the wait. “They asked that they hold the bodies until the laboratory work is completed.”

Hugh Auslander, Raffo's estranged husband, said Tuesday that he is anxiously awaiting the release of his wife's body and said he contacts the Prosecutor's Office frequently to find out when that will happen.

Once he gets word he will make travel arrangements, said Auslander, who lives in Florida.

Auslander said he was told that authorities want to release all of the bodies at once because they are still trying to confirm that it is a multiple homicide.

“It is pretty evident that it is all the same deal,” he said.

Auslander said once Raffo's body is released he will take care of all of the funeral arrangements.

“I am taking care of everything,” he said. “I am hoping that her body is not in really bad shape. I want an open casket so that they can see her for one last time.”

Auslander said he would like the funeral to be in northern New Jersey because there are many family members in the tri-state area.

Then he wants Raffo's body cremated so he can take her ashes back to Florida, where they lived together for a while, and have a service for friends and other family members there.

He then plans to spread her ashes out to sea.

“We had a lot of good times on the seas. For a while we lived on a houseboat,” Auslander said. “I really want her ashes to be scattered on the water.”

To e-mail Lynda Cohen at The Press:

LCohen@pressofac.com

To e-mail Madelaine Vitale at The Press:

MVitale@pressofac.com

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/story/7015003p-6874637c.html

ATLANTIC CITY — A city resident who believed investigators suspected him in the deaths of the four women found last month just beyond the city line is now in jail on minor charges.
Charles Ismail Coles, 40, has been at the Atlantic County jail since Saturday on charges of contempt of court and resisting arrest.

Coles knew Kim Raffo, the first identified victim. Two weeks ago he said investigators had questioned him numerous times since they found the four women's bodies Nov. 20 near the Black Horse Pike in Egg Harbor Township's West Atlantic City section.

City police pulled Coles over on a traffic stop Friday and let him go, police said. After researching his name and finding that he had warrants outstanding, one of them dating back to 2003, they went to the Ascot Motel to arrest him.

Coles had been living on the beach block of Tennessee Avenue until Dec. 5, according to building owner Joe Boccino. Boccino evicted him that day, and alleges that Coles had not paid rent since at least September and often had large groups of people in his apartment.

Coles had only checked into the Ascot on Friday, according to the hotel's records. About five or six police cars arrived there sometime between 7 and 9 p.m. to arrest Coles, said Rinku Patel, the motel clerk who worked that night.
The Atlantic County Prosecutor's Office declined to comment on Coles' arrest. Prosecutor Jeffrey S. Blitz has previously said he will not comment on potential suspects.

Coles did not return a phone message left for him at the jail Tuesday. He previously accused police of harassing him.

“‘What if somebody can identify you being in West Atlantic City that night?'” Coles had said members of Egg Harbor Township police asked him. “They are trying to make it like I killed these women.”

Fox news had an article speaking about the Atlantic City murders and the UK Ripper.

strach304 said:
That other ripper they had over there Robert Sudcliffe I think was his name, they scared him off when they got close not only did he move his area but also type of victim. One things for sure this ones been very busy. The girl with the dimples is really cute.
Close, but not quite. That was Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper, in case anyone wants to find out more about him. :-)

Sadly, ALOT more people will care when it's finally announced that A.C. has a serial killer. Meanwhile, I'm seeing more news coverage of the killer in the UK.

Sorry about my lead on the AMW coverage last week. The article cabinfever posted explains all.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,91182-bowden_p25700,00.html

America's Parallel Prostitute Murders
There are similiarities between the Suffolk killings and a recent spate of prostitute murders in Atlantic City, not least that the bodies were found in watery ditches outside the city. Sky's David Bowden reports.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,31200-murder_p25755,00.html

Weather Sky Sports On Sky News TV News In Pictures Radio

VideoSerial Killer Still On The Loose
More than 250 extra officers from 26 police forces are now assisting in the Suffolk murder hunt. But, after nearly two weeks since the first murder victim was discovered, there are still several crucial questions unanswered in this investigation.

this one is so sad.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/suffolkmurders

this is the latest link.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91182-13556745,00.html

Children Get Counselling
Updated: 13:53, Thursday December 14, 2006

Children as young as eight are getting special counselling from police following the murders of five women in Suffolk, writes Sky News Online correspondent Lisa Dowd.

Teachers at Murrayfield Community Primary School in Ipswich have been inundated with children asking about the killings.

Their school is a few miles from the crime scene at Nacton.

Headteacher Wendy James said: "It started yesterday. They came in worried about someone breaking into their houses and bedrooms, and walking home in the dark.

Horrible.....

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91182-1244079,00.html

'First Murder Is The Key'

Updated: 16:14, Friday December 15, 2006
Police need to establish exactly who was murdered first and what her personal relationships were if they are to catch the Suffolk serial killer, criminologist Prof David Wilson has told Sky News Online.

With no major breakthrough in the case so far, Prof Wilson said that very first murder could hold the key to the whole case.

"The murderer will be within this small circle of people she knew or who had a relationship with," Prof Wilson said.

"The key questions we need to ask is: Why has the killing started now? Who was the first victim and when was she killed?

"If you establish a timeline of the first murder victim, as opposed to when the body was discovered, police can target their intelligence towards that first case: Police can find out what her movements were, who her friends were and who her clients were."

Several new lines of investigation have reportedly emerged.

One of the women was asphyxiated and another died of "compression to the neck".

What is the difference between the 2?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6179955.stm

Possible links

Thursday's papers were full of suggestions for possible "breakthroughs" which could easily be red herrings.

These included:

A fat man in a BMW supposedly seen picking Anneli Alderton up last Thursday.
A suggestion the killer had contacted the victims by phone and may even have sent a text message from Anneli's phone after killing her.
The discovery of clothes in a river.
A possible link with the 1992 murder of Norwich prostitute Natalie Pearman.
A suggestion the killer might be a lorry driver, an immigrant worker or a member of the RAF or US Air Force.
The claim that the killer shaved all his victims.
The idea that the killer's "calling card" was to leave all his victims naked with the exception of jewellery.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6178793.stm

How the Dutch protect their prostitutes
By Patrick Jackson
BBC News

As the murder of prostitutes in Suffolk grips the UK, BBC News looks at some of the safety mechanisms being used in the Netherlands to protect local sex workers there from violence.

Campaigners for EU "street walkers" use a red umbrella as their symbol

This Sunday, campaigners in North America and Europe will be marking an End Violence Against Sex Workers Day with vigils, demonstrations and posters.

The murders in Suffolk "are another horrifying chapter in a long history of violence towards sex workers", says Petra Timmermans, a Netherlands-based campaigner for the human rights of prostitutes.

For Ms Timmermans, the coordinator of the International Committee on the Rights of Sex Workers in Europe (ICRSE), the vulnerability of prostitutes to violence is inextricably bound up in social attitudes.

She was kidnapped, tied and driven to an unknown location in fear, threatened with a straight razor and barely managed to talk her way out

Pedro
BBC News website reader from California

Prostitution in the Netherlands involving Dutch or other EU citizens is a legal occupation, and a recent report by the foreign ministry shows that most work in brothels or sex clubs.

They can openly advertise their services in newspapers and on the internet.

However, a small number of legal prostitutes still solicit on the streets, government statistics show.

In response, a number of cities have created official "street walking zones" which feature special car parks for prostitutes and their clients.

Condoms and coffee

These car parks have privacy screens - "a bit like stalls", says Ms Timmermans - between which prostitutes can conduct their business in their clients' cars.

PROSTITUTION IN EU STATES
Netherlands: prostitutes treated as self-employed persons; street prostitution in managed zones; brothels legal but subject to licensing
Germany: similar rights for prostitutes to those of the Dutch though prostitution subject to VAT; legal brothels and recognised red light zones
France: prostitution legal - soliciting and procuring are not
Sweden: prostitution legal but buying sex is not, so clients risk prosecution
UK: prostitution not officially illegal but soliciting, procuring and brothel-keeping are

Security cameras monitor the car parks and social services provide advice, medical information and condoms.

"You can talk to a social worker, you can get a shower, a cup of coffee, things like that," says the ICRSW's coordinator.

"I have never heard of anyone ever being hurt, or at least seriously hurt, in a zone."

According to the foreign ministry, "the introduction of these zones has significantly increased the safety of street walkers".

Government figures from 2004 showed that people driven into high-risk prostitution by drug addiction - a phenomenon common among EU prostitutes - made up only about 10% of all prostitutes in the Netherlands.

This is thanks to good drug outreach programmes, Ms Timmermans suggests.

And she adds that the attitude of the country's police - "they are great in general" - is also an important factor.

Preying on the 'worthless'

End Violence Against Sex Workers Day came about in 2003 in response to the Green River serial murders in the US, in which 48 women, most of them street-walking prostitutes, were murdered around Seattle over some 15 years.

"Violence is not part of the job description" - campaign slogan

The Suffolk murders will be in the minds of Sunday's protesters along with the trial of a Canadian man for the alleged murders of at least 26 sex workers in Vancouver.

Petra Timmermans believes that if our social attitude to prostitutes changed, there would be less risk of such crimes occurring.

"We decide that some people aren't worth our time and violent people know that," she says.

Prostitution is a reality, she argues, and in order to protect those women and men who engage in it, it should be given equal status to other occupations.

"We know, for instance, that there is exploitation in the textile industry but we don't scream 'Stop buying clothing' - we talk about labour rights and working conditions," Ms Timmermans says.

"We need to start talking in that way about prostitution."

Dutch prostitutes do still get hurt, she adds, but the Netherlands has made "many more women's lives safer and gone a long way in challenging many long-held biases that have let killers off the hook".

I went to Amsterdam for a day on a train with my father on some business trip about Ports and Waterways or something when I was 19 , it was an eye opener. When you get off the train and start to walk over the foot bridge thing go right it had a coffee house and a pot leaf painted on the sign. It was a shock. I remember pidgeon poop covered over every inch of bicycles outside the train station. It was also the first time I saw a homeless woman with a little baby. I was in shock. guys had crazy glue in their hair spiked up .
I guess they have one thing down if there is going to be drugs and prostitution , they better protect them.
I the red light district during the day. They had a door and A picture window with a woman inside sitting on a chair in undies. Swear!!!!!
At that point of my life I had only been to NY PA FLA CT MD IL
LOL my father flustered with the map. :laugh:

Was glad to get out of there and go to Rotterdam. It was very pretty until the sun went down and I split to the club by myself Downstairs and then ventured off to this huge club down on the corner(we were Staying at the Hilton) safe enough? you needed plastic chips to buy a drink , like poker chips. No money transactions at the bar. 8 different rooms with bands playing with see through safety glass sound proof. It was really cool and something I'll never forget . I do think Holland has been light years ahead of us. Maybe they are onto something here.
I just don't think people would go for the security camera angle. As if cameras arent everywhere already.
This is pretty insane AC killings,UK killings. So much money already wasted on investigating the deaths of these women when it could have gone to drug treatment . Thousands of hours of man power going into this the cost is crazy.
Sometimes things just never seem to make sense. I have never met anyone who stated while growing up ,I want to be a drug addict and a prostitute.These girls all had hopes and dreams and then life happened to them . Very sad.

You see at the end of the day this isn't who matters and who does'nt it's about doing what's right. Basic Humanity. An in America it's about One Nation under GOD AND "JUSTICE FOR ALL",

You can be sure of one thing,this guy isn't done.

http://articles.philly.com/2006-12-15/news/25398579_1_hotel-room-hotel-guest-shoes

An odd collection of shoes in an out-of-towner's rented Pacific Avenue hotel room may help investigators find the killer of four women whose barefoot bodies were found in a watery ditch last month. Or it could be another dead end...

He said he and others saw women's sneakers, high heels and sandals inside the closet of a hotel room rented by a man from Phoenix. Trivedi said the hotel guest checked in alone on Oct. 3 and stayed three weeks. The man paid his $627 hotel bill with a Commerce Bank debit card when he checked out on Oct. 23 and used an Arizona driver's license as identification... Trivedi said the man "talked like he was a minister, about God" but often "had women coming to his room." He also had male visitors, including a black man and a white man who drove a white van.

The tips provided by Michelle and Trivedi are among dozens police have received and investigated since the bodies were discovered on Nov. 20 behind a string of motels along Route 322 in the West Atlantic City section of Egg Harbor Township. Three of the women, Kim Raffo, 35, Tracy Ann Roberts, 23, and Barbara V. Breidor, 42, had criminal records for prostitution. Another victim, Molly Jean Dilts, 20, had been working the streets for a only few weeks before she disappeared.

http://www.ocobserver.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061218/NEWS01/612180311/1007

Prostitute deaths might spur motels' razing
Posted by the Ocean County Observer on 12/18/06
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
EGG HARBOR — Fifty years ago, the motels along the Black Horse Pike attracted families who went crabbing in the waters just outside Atlantic City, or enjoyed some time on the beach.

But over the years, the one-story cinder block structures declined — along with their clientele — to become magnets for drug addicts and prostitutes.

For the last 15 years, local officials have wanted to buy the motels, knock them down and replace them with something more palatable, like condos or offices.

And while those plans have remained stuck in park for years, the discovery behind the motels of the bodies of four prostitutes — at least two of whom had been murdered — could give new impetus to plans to raze the seedy strip.

"It's an embarrassment to the state and to the city of Atlantic City to have this here," said Mayor James "Sonny" McCullough. "This is the gateway to Atlantic City, and to have to drive past these things just looks awful and gives the wrong image."

Authorities are investigating whether a serial killer might be to blame for the deaths of the women, all of whom sold themselves on the streets of Atlantic City.

Police say they routinely make drug and prostitution arrests at the motels. Neighbors complain that prostitutes wander onto their streets and do their business in parked cars or on the beach in front of their homes.

One woman recalled seeing a naked man running down the middle of the highway, formally known as Route 40, chasing after a prostitute that had stolen his pants with his wallet inside.

"Nobody is delighted with this," said Vern Macon, a member of a neighborhood association that supports plans to raze the motels.

Money is holding up the process. The Casino Reinvestment Development Authority recently gave Egg Harbor Township a $3 million grant to start buying land along the road. But McCullough says the true cost of buying more than two dozen of the motels is between $15 to $20 million, not counting demolition and debris removal costs.

He wants the state to kick in more money in light of the discovery of the dead bodies and the negative publicity it is causing the region.

In May, the township agreed to borrow up to $15 million for the project — an action the casino authority insisted upon as a condition of the grant.

"It was agreed that they would bond if they needed more money," said Robert Corrales, a spokesman for the agency. "Nothing is stopping them from going forward."

McCullough says the township should not have to shoulder such a disproportionate share of the price. The motels already cost the township plenty in police overtime for drug and vice arrests, not to mention costs associated with evacuating motel residents from the low-lying strip when the area floods, as it often does, he said.

Suryakant Patel, owner of the Golden Key Motel, behind which some of the bodies were found face-down in a drainage ditch, says the motels are getting a bad rap. He denied that his motel, which advertises rooms for $15 a night, is being used for prostitution.

Patel said he'd love the city or state to buy him out "if they pay the right price." He had no figure in mind, but smiled as he pondered the possibilities.

"The casinos are buying up all kinds of land," he said. "It would be good."

It would also be good for people like Stephanie Cross, who rents a small bungalow across the street, and has had her trash can stolen three times in the past year.

She said prostitutes and drug dealers wander the highway "all the time, all day, all night, every day."

"One day, right in the afternoon, I was walking with my daughter and this lady was doing a trick right there in the car," she said. "Imagine that!"

McCullough, the mayor, said if the casino agency fronts the city more money, they could clear and sell the land to developers, then return money to the agency.

"It would be tremendous for the residents who live there," he said. "I'd like to see mid- to high-rise condos with parking on the first two to three floors, office space above that, and living space on top. It's a gorgeous view."

No Mr.Mayor James "Sonny" McCullough the embarrassing part is the way you talk about these women as if they aren't human beings. Why doesn't he worry bout his black eye later? Solve the case.

http://www.fbi.gov/dojpressrel/pressrel05/innocencelost.htm

ATLANTIC CITY, NEW JERSEY

In New Jersey, Matthew D. Thompkins, Demetrius Lemus, Noel Lopez, Melissa Ramlakhan, Emily Collins-Koslosky, Jacqueline Collins-Koslosky, Anna Argyroudis, and Kemyra Jemerson were indicted by a federal grand jury in Camden, New Jersey. The defendants are charged with conspiring to transport minors in furtherance of prostitution.

The underlying federal investigation into the prostitution enterprise allegedly led and organized by Matthew D. Thompkins began in January of 2004. The investigation allegedly revealed Thompkins has been a pimp for many years operating in cities including Atlantic City, New Jersey, the Bronx, New York, Boston, Massachusetts, Miami, Florida and Las Vegas, Nevada. It is also alleged that Thompkins has close relationships with other pimps including defendants Lemus and Lopez whom Thompkins mentors and who assist Thompkins in the operation of his prostitution enterprise. The indictment alleges that Thompkins has had both minor and adult females working for him as prostitutes. Most of Thompkins’ prostitutes assist in running the prostitution enterprise by recruiting new prostitutes, arranging and assisting travel of prostitutes including minors between major cities to engage in prostitution, and laundering the proceeds of their illegal activities.

Thompkins owns real estate either in his own name or of that of his co-conspirators including Melissa Ramlakhan, in the Bronx, New York, Yonkers, New York, and in Galloway Township, New Jersey. The indictment alleges these properties have been used to facilitate prostitution activities. Thompkins owns a variety of vehicles including a 2003 GMC Hummer H2, a 2003 Land Rover-Range Rover, a 2002 Cadillac Escalade, a 2003 Mercedes Benz SL500, a 2001 Mercedes Benz, a 2000 Mercedes Benz CL500, and a 1999 Lexus RX300. These vehicles allegedly have also been used to facilitate prostitution activities.

The investigation is being conducted by the FBI in cooperation with the Atlantic City Police Department, the New Jersey State Police, the Pleasantville Police Department, the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement, the U.S. Department of Labor, Office of Labor Racketeering, the Egg Harbor Township Police Department, and the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. Considerable assistance was also provided by the Office of Inspector General of the U.S. Postal Service.

The case is being prosecuted by Trial Attorney Sherri A. Stephan of the Department of Justice Criminal Division’s Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section and Assistant U.S. Attorney Jason Richardson of the District of New Jersey.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734
Back