Identified! IL - DuPage Co., Boy, 3-5, found in laundry bag, Oct'05 - Atzel Olmedo

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is heart wrenching...

I'm brand new at this, so I didn't know if anyone has ever considered this little guy as a match for Little Boy Blue. His name is Jose Daniel Castro.

http://www.missingkids.com/photographs/NCMC957396c1.jpg

JOSE DANIEL CASTRO

Last Contact on 05/23/2001 at age 1
in the West Part of the Southern Lower Peninsula
Case Type: Family Abduction
DOB: Jul 25, 2000 Sex: Male
Missing Date: Apr 23, 2002 Race: White/Hisp
Age Now: 7 Height: 3'0" (91 cm)
Missing City: GRAND RAPIDS Weight: 30 lbs (14 kg)
Missing State : MI Hair Color: Brown
Missing Country: United States Eye Color: Brown
Case Number: NCMC957396
Circumstances: The child may be in the company of his non-custodial father. They may have left the country and traveled to Mexico.

Looks like they may have at least a little something to go on to help in the search for this little angels parents.

Study shows unidentified dead boy spent short life in northern Illinois​

Authorities say they hope new scientific information may help them identify a young boy whose remains were buried earlier this year.

The unidentified little boy whose remains were found in 2005 inside a laundry bag dumped in a field on the outskirts of northwest Naperville spent most of his life in northern Illinois, authorities said Wednesday.

A study of oxygen isotopes in the boy's bones and teeth by a Canadian college professor who specializes in geochemistry determined the particular isotopes from the boy's skeleton matched samples taken from the tooth of a Naperville child.

The research further determined the boy's mother had lived in the south-central portion of Canada while pregnant with the boy -- likely Winnipeg, Sault Ste. Marie or the surrounding areas, said Henry P. Schwarcz, an emeritus professor at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, who performed the study.

"Most of your body is made up of oxygen, and that gets into your bones and teeth, and therefore you have some records of where that oxygen comes from," Schwarcz said.

Over the course of 40 years, scientists have created a map of North America based on particular types of oxygen isotopes, Schwarcz said. While the map can't pinpoint exact locations, it can narrow things down.

Using one of the boy's primary molars, Schwarcz was able to determine that the child's mother had lived in a particular area of Canada or even possibly the Upper Peninsula of Michigan while pregnant. Because the tooth was formed in utero, it carries the mother's information.

An analysis of the boy's bone determined he had spent most, if not all, of his life in northern Illinois. Schwarcz said bones collect oxygen isotopes that act as geographic markers throughout a person's life.

More at link http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=85576

A study of oxygen isotopes in the boy's bones and teeth by a Canadian college professor who specializes in geochemistry determined the particular isotopes from the boy's skeleton matched samples taken from the tooth of a Naperville child.

The research further determined the boy's mother had lived in the south-central portion of Canada while pregnant with the boy -- likely Winnipeg, Sault Ste. Marie or the surrounding areas, said Henry P. Schwarcz, an emeritus professor at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, who performed the study.

This is completely amazing!!! I wonder how common these types of tests are at this point.

That really is remarkable. I have never heard of this test before now. I hope it helps bring some new leads. I wonder if there are certain ethnic group from the area of Canada that they may be able to narrow down what he race is.

That really is remarkable. I have never heard of this test before now. I hope it helps bring some new leads. I wonder if there are certain ethnic group from the area of Canada that they may be able to narrow down what he race is.

Maybe Mik'maq or Maliseet?

Does anyone know how long this little boy was estimated to have been dead? I couldn't find that anywhere, and I've seen various descriptions of "partially" decomposed and "heavily" decomposed.

If anyone remembers reading about an estimate, please let me know.

Thanks,

Ladymemac

I found this posting (dated August 2, 2004):

ford peak ware five year old male with a buzz cutt brown hair thin front teeth discolored slightly hyper personality and hasa speech sluring slightly City: boise Email: rcarmen@corr.state.id.us Entry #2519 added on August 2, 2004
I found it in this website: http://www.cyberpages.com/minidb?program=children&year=2004&month=8

I sent the person an email asking if they were still in search of this little boy, and if so, do they have a photo of him. I'll get back to you after I get a response.

Mary

Walmart does still sell the brand, Faded Glory. I know they were looking at transactions during the time those clothes were sold in the area and they came up empty.

You're right, we don't know how long the child had been passed. When I think of him, I think of the artist's sketch, not a skeleton.

I feel stumped. Somebody out there knows something.

He was somewhat decomposed according to the other thread, not skeletonized. LE doesnt seem to be releasing a DOD estimate which is strange, and I didn't see a picture of the windbreaker he was found with?

bumping to get this above the thread merged into this one.

Since we mentioned this on the beloved doe thread, thought I would mention here too. The news show information etc. which helped ID Beloved doe has been sent to DuPage county via email.

Praying we learn your name too, and soon, little guy.

Since we mentioned this on the beloved doe thread, thought I would mention here too. The news show information etc. which helped ID Beloved doe has been sent to DuPage county via email.

Praying we learn your name too, and soon, little guy.

Keep us posted on what you hear about this Cubby. would love to follow this and see what happens. It was a true miracle for Beloved Doe, after 5 years, 1 month and 11 days !!!!!!

Keep us posted on what you hear about this Cubby. would love to follow this and see what happens. It was a true miracle for Beloved Doe, after 5 years, 1 month and 11 days !!!!!!

I will. I didn't expect and did not ask for an answer. I think the answer for the Dupage boy, like Beloved lies in getting his picture out to family. My concern is the Dupage boy is listed as possibly Hispanic, Asian or Native. IMO, he looks hispanic, and we don't have a Native community here in the area. ( I am in DuPage). DuPage, is always hush hush about everything and I am hoping and praying they try to pursue this avenue.

I will call either later this week or early next week and inquire again.

It appears DuPage had already been in contact with Houston when they contacted Lois Gibson, the forensic artist which works with Houston, to draw the sketch for Johnny Doe.

I noticed this when reading about the most recent news with the Tionda and Diamond Bradley case. Just happened to notice Dupage Johnny mentioned in the following article.

From article:

Gibson has been called on to assist authorities around the country, including DuPage County, where she drew a picture of a little boy found dead in 2005. He remains unidentified.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/927594,CST-NWS-bradley02.article

Hmmm.... I wonder if sending Lois an email, similiar to what was sent to DuPage would be worthwhile. (If I can find an email for her)

thanks for bumping this Anthrobones. DuPage is always really quiet on what is going on. Burkett, is running for office again, though he has lost quite a few times with most of IL being Democrat..... and Dupage has been republican since it's inception in the 1800's.

I doubt DuPage has forgotten this little boy, just nothing to report in the news yet.

I did send info to DuP' on how Houston solved the case for Beloved Doe. And I have found out that invision is aired on our local cable network Channel 4. I am hoping and praying DuPage takes Houstons lead and airs this little boy nationally. Though, I have no idea whether or not that program airs in Canada. which is where this boys mother is believed to be from.

Just a few days ago, I was talking about this boy to one of the owners of my sons daycare in Dupage.( we talk about the Cubs and WS stuff that I share) I was SHOCKED to hear he had never heard of this little boy. I had assumed ALL day care providers would have been notified.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mbennett90
Back