Found Deceased SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
i just looked at the pics of l.q at the house at mb. also same location as the attic pics(you can tell by the house) the odd thing to me is in the group pics there is noone wearing a red shirt and white shorts. the person going in the attic has on red shirt and white shorts but was not in any other pics that i saw. am i wrong on that one? maybe someone in their underwear? or white shorts? cant tell
---------------
I'm beginning to think after reading posts regarding the attic photo that it has nothing to do with MB. I had originally read a post that referred to this photo being of B at MB. I was hoping that LE had checked out the attic photo with B's "friends" who may have taken the photo. I'm thinking now that it is a dead end.

This is the first I have read about this. I alwasy thought it was the boyfriend who became concerned and called mother, but it appears one of the her "friends" called him first.

"She went with two other girls, and one of the girls called Brittanee's boyfriend John Grieco, 19, in Rochester to tell him they couldn't find her. Grieco called Brittanee's mom

-----------
Who were the two other girls?

This is one of those 'cartoon' maps of the Sea Mist resort. It's a huge property, actually taking up four whole blocks. I really think that is probably a tunnel that allows the guests from the oceanfront properties to go to the big water park on the opposite side of OB without having to cross traffic. There aren't any lights there at the intersections that would stop traffic, so this would just be more safe, especially for the kids that would be darting through traffic to get to the water park. There's a big parking garage back behind the water park too.

http://www.myrtlebeachseamist.com/!images/pdfs/SeaMist_propertymap.pdf

That particular spot looks like it would be in front of the Driftwood tower, about where it is written 'sauna/steam room'.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/may/09/off_road_search81711/

Brittanee's father, John Kahyaoglu, of Tampa, Fla., said he and Brittanee had reunited just 18 months ago. "It was love at first sight," he said. "Now she's gone again. It breaks my heart." He said Brittanee planned to visit him in Florida this summer.

Kahyaoglu said Brittanee made the trip with two girls and three guys, all from Rochester. She left behind her clothes, makeup and luggage at the Myrtle Beach hotel where she and her friends were staying when she disappeared. Brittanee was described by family as a good student, socially active and a soccer player.

"She never wandered off. She had people with her constantly," said Carol Wagner, her grandmother. "It's not like her to meet someone and go with them."

More at the link.

Kinda weird comment from Dad. Love at first sight?

Also I was aware of the two girls and one boy who are the other 2 boys who traveled with them? I thought PB and company where not traveling with Brittanee.

...I really think that is probably a tunnel that allows the guests from the oceanfront properties to go to the big water park on the opposite side of OB without having to cross traffic.

I think you nailed this one :)
I just looked up a bunch of reviews of the Sea Mist and they all talk about the tunnel running under Ocean Blvd!
Good call

Still a creepy little tunnel at 8pm, I am sure... but at least we know it's probably well traveled, likely monitored and fairly short.

I think you nailed this one :)
I just looked up a bunch of reviews of the Sea Mist and they all talk about the tunnel running under Ocean Blvd!
Good call

Still a creepy little tunnel at 8pm, I am sure... but at least we know it's probably well traveled, likely monitored and fairly short.

Yeah, I thought at first they would probably lock it when the park closed, but then when I noticed the parking garage, I said no, maybe not. Maybe under there, there is a separate entrance to the water park from the parking garage and they only lock the entrance into the park. I would imagine with guests going out in the evening for dinner and coming back to park, they would leave it open for them.

As big as this place is, I would imagine they have security cameras down there and probably security guards that patrol it at least every hour for a security check. Which leads to my next question, with a property this expansive, would they not have cameras trained on the entrances to parking lots etc, and did none catch her at 12th walking?

Seems in this case one question gets answered but just leds to more.

found this article about the cell tower ping down in Georgetown.
Cell phone technology used in search for missing teen
http://www.carolinalive.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=295450

snip:
"It's not a very specific area, it's a very vague area. Those cell phone towers can go for miles and pick up a signal so we have a general area to start searching at least."

Every signal that a cell phone sends to a tower has a time stamp attached to it.

By calculating the amount of time in milliseconds that it takes for the signal to get from the cell phone to the tower, the phone company can calculate how close the cell phone is to the tower.

Keep in mind, the cell phone is sending a signal to many towers at the same time, and HTC engineer Ryan Graham says, for tracking purposes, the more towers the phone can communicate with, the better.

"Depending on how far away it is from tower A to tower B, it will triangulate that position of that phone, depending on how many sites. Obviously, the more sites it can communicate with, the better or tighter that triangulation can come," said Graham.

Unfortunately, there aren't many cell phone towers in remote, rural areas like the Santee River where police searched for Brittanee Drexel.

That means the searchers have a much bigger area to work with.

"It can be anywhere from right near the cell site, within a half a mile to 5,6,7 miles away, radius around the cell site," said Graham.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/may/09/off_road_search81711/

Brittanee's father, John Kahyaoglu, of Tampa, Fla., said he and Brittanee had reunited just 18 months ago. "It was love at first sight," he said. "Now she's gone again. It breaks my heart." He said Brittanee planned to visit him in Florida this summer.

Kahyaoglu said Brittanee made the trip with two girls and three guys, all from Rochester. She left behind her clothes, makeup and luggage at the Myrtle Beach hotel where she and her friends were staying when she disappeared. Brittanee was described by family as a good student, socially active and a soccer player.

"She never wandered off. She had people with her constantly," said Carol Wagner, her grandmother. "It's not like her to meet someone and go with them."

More at the link.

Kinda weird comment from Dad. Love at first sight?

Also I was aware of the two girls and one boy who are the other 2 boys who traveled with them? I thought PB and company where not traveling with Brittanee.

I really don't see anything weird about her bio dad's comment. I might have said the same thing if I had been estranged from my child for a long time. Sometimes parents say things that sound weird ONLY because of their child being missing/murdered/in trouble, etc.

Yeah, I thought at first they would probably lock it when the park closed, but then when I noticed the parking garage, I said no, maybe not. Maybe under there, there is a separate entrance to the water park from the parking garage and they only lock the entrance into the park. I would imagine with guests going out in the evening for dinner and coming back to park, they would leave it open for them.

As big as this place is, I would imagine they have security cameras down there and probably security guards that patrol it at least every hour for a security check. Which leads to my next question, with a property this expansive, would they not have cameras trained on the entrances to parking lots etc, and did none catch her at 12th walking?

Seems in this case one question gets answered but just leds to more.

I used to vacation with my family at Sea Mist every summer for many years, though the last time I was there was ~15 years ago. Yes, this is a pedestrian tunnel to make it easy for visitors to cross Ocean. The tunnel was always open, it was never locked -- we used it at ALL hours of the day and night. There is much more on the west side of Ocean then just the water park. There is (was) a miniature golf course, condos/villas and a little deli place/convenience store right where the pedestrian tunnel comes out on the west side of Ocean.

Sea Mist definitely has a lot of security, though I don't know about cameras.

If they used infrared cameras from the helicopters in their search yesterday and didn't recover anything, I would gather they will start from scratch, possibly a new lead taking them elsewhere? I like the sleuthing on this area with the tunnel. B is a small petite girl that could easily have been grabbed and put into a vehicle in the parking area. With all the traffic there, hopefully someone remembered something. This case feels like the Britney case out of Reno, and it took months to find her.

MOO

What I understood from one of the local broadcasts either Friday or Saturday was that Thornhill Farm would be used as the staging area for the search. I am pretty sure from the video yesterday, all the family was at that location as well as law enforcement and search groups. They used it as more of a gathering area for everyone to branch out from.

http://www.scnow.com/scp/news/local...arch_for_missing_ny_teen_after_11_days/49289/ (video at link)

They have mentioned Seven Mile Road a lot and I think thats where the search concentrated yesterday. Providing map to give perspective. If you pull up a little you will see the North and South Santee Rivers there. Previously they had used the Pole Yard Landing just off 17 at N. Santee as the staging area.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...277,-79.412355&spn=0.014945,0.038452&t=h&z=15

You can see from this satellite view the woods there are very dense. I don't know if they used infrared on the fly overs. I would think if she is there, anywhere in FMNF, she wouldn't be too far off one of the little roads but that's still an awful lot of ground to cover.

Also, and I hate to keep beating what may be a dead horse, but I can't shake off that initial report of the phone pinging traveling 'from Williamsburg Co. back into Georgetown Co., towards the coast' that we heard in the first couple of days. I'm still not convinced they shouldnt check up there in that area if that report was accurate.

Sorry if I missed this...has it been confirmed that she actually started walking along Ocean? If not, it is just as likely that she started walking up on the beach.

Also, and I hate to keep beating what may be a dead horse, but I can't shake off that initial report of the phone pinging traveling 'from Williamsburg Co. back into Georgetown Co., towards the coast' that we heard in the first couple of days. I'm still not convinced they shouldnt check up there in that area if that report was accurate.

I agree with you, that has me stumped also. Personally, I think she got into a car with someone she thought she knew and they were going to take her to her hotel, but keep driving. They took her to the little river or calabash area near the NC border. Her body was left there and then the perp drove back to Charleston going through williamsburg county and then when he hit the georgetown area, her phone rang. He realized she left her phone in his car so he tosses it out the car around the time the 1st ping in georgetown was. He proceeded back to Charleston and her phone stayed in georgetown and pinged one more time early sunday morning before it died.

Sorry if I missed this...has it been confirmed that she actually started walking along Ocean? If not, it is just as likely that she started walking up on the beach.

The hotel video shows her leaving the hotel via the ocean blvd entrace. I suppose she could have walked around the hotel and gone down to the beach, but she was heading back to return some shorts so I would think she would take the fastest route back along the street.

I agree with you, that has me stumped also. Personally, I think she got into a car with someone she thought she knew and they were going to take her to her hotel, but keep driving. They took her to the little river or calabash area near the NC border. Her body was left there and then the perp drove back to Charleston going through williamsburg county and then when he hit the georgetown area, her phone rang. He realized she left her phone in his car so he tosses it out the car around the time the 1st ping in georgetown was. He proceeded back to Charleston and her phone stayed in georgetown and pinged one more time early sunday morning before it died.

I can agree with everything here except the Little River/Calabash reference. Her phone pinged in Surfside and I know they didnt give a time on that, or at least I haven't been able to find it, but I would think if they went north in the direction of LR/C, her phone would have pinged somewhere along the way up and back down before it hit the Surfside tower. That's about 20-30 miles north of the area she was in.

I do agree, I get the feeling the phone was tossed out. But there was about 2 hours time in there that we haven't heard of her phone pinging, except that vague reference to W'burg Co - a very rural area - plenty of time for someone to head inland, do whatever they were going to do and leave her - and then head towards the coast.

Either she is with her phone or not. I do understand LE concentrating in the area of the pings first and foremost, that would be the most likely scenario. Find her phone first, where they know it was, and they may very well find her. But if they find her phone and not her, then they have a whole other situation on their hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow