Travis Alexander and Jodi Arias - What do you believe?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to share what I just found in my junior high yearbook....

juniorjodi.jpg

She really hasn't changed very much over the years.

I wonder what her lawyers have said to her to get her to stop the interviewing. My personal opinion is that if she is convicted, it should be life without chance of parole, and not the DP, I think it would be a better punishment, given she's been vocal about how she'd prefer the dp.

Hi, Nobodyzgirl, I think that you're right about the optimal sentence. As for how her lawyers persuaded her to refrain from media statements, I wouldn't be surprised if they threatened that, like her previous lawyer, they would walk. Jodi would not welcome the prospect of sitting in prison limbo with endless postponements.

According to the latest minutes, it looks like the trail is postponed till August 2010? UGH!

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/112009/m3975165.pdf

Hi, RIP~Travis, nice to see your moniker, even if it brings bad news.

Actually I can sympathize with the reasoning of the judge. Jodi's lawyers are obviously still struggling with the evidence and they have to account for some incriminating evidence that would make many prosecuting attorneys drool.

It occurs to me too that they might be hoping that they can use that extra time to convince Jodi to agree to some kind of plea bargain. The more grasp they have of the evidence, the more convincing their arguments.

The Trial is now set for August 16, 2010 and the case management conference has been changed to January 12, 2010. UGGG February was so close, and August is so far away! LOL

IT IS ORDERED setting Trial on August 16, 2010 at 11:00 a.m. in this division.

IT IS FURTHER ORDERED vacating the Capital Case Management Conference set on
December 11, 2009 and resetting same to January 12, 2010 at 8:30 a.m. in this division.

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/122009/m3992508.pdf

ugh. say it ain't so.

Guess we're all gonna go into hibernation for about 8 months...

ugh. say it ain't so.

Guess we're all gonna go into hibernation for about 8 months...

Hopefully we'll get some information in January, after the Capital Case Management Conference and be able to discuss that.

I wonder if the trial is actually going to start August 16, or if that is the date that they set the date for trial - the wording is a little confusing (and I actually work in a law firm, granted it's not in the United States).

A rudimentary internet search on Kirk Nurmi, Jodi's lead attorney, indicates that he's a competent public defender, although my cursory hunt didn't produce any previous homicide cases. In other cases, he's been attentive to issues of pre-trial publicity and legal precedents. I would imagine that he will ask for a change of venue in this case, but as far as I can remember, that hasn't happened yet.

Jodi could do worse, but Mr. Nurmi has his work cut out for him.

Think of this as me "thinking" out loud:

I don’t think that any of us are drawn to this case because we think of it as a whodunit. Most of us concluded that Jodi Arias killed Travis Alexander not long after we first read about the arrest or saw TV coverage about the murder.

Why then are we interested in the case? I think that it stems from our curiosity about why one young, self-assured, attractive young woman would kill a lover or ex-lover she certainly admired. The short answer, obviously, is jealousy, but that is somehow unsatisfactory.

Most of us generally think of relationships as essentially monogamous with clear on-and-off switches. Jodi and Travis, however, were involved or ensnared in something far more complicated. Moreover, both of them were locked in their identities.

Travis was not just engaging and fun to be with; as a motivational speaker and a self-made entrepreneurial success, he was professionally charismatic. Being single (and apparently chaste) at a relatively late age for a devout Mormon was an appealing part of his public persona: His last blog entry, posted just weeks before his murder, focused on his extended bachelorhood and, characteristically, turned into a mini-sermon on self improvement. (It also included a link to a YouTube video in which a seemingly bashful, self-effacing Travis speaks at length about his unattached state, much to the delight of the crowd.) His final entry also contains a statement that simultaneously sums up his predicament and seems to predict his fate:

“Not to ask some one on a date because I planned on marrying them, but to date someone to look for the possibility of marriage with them. This type of dating to me is like a very long job interview and can be exponentially more mentally taxing. Desperately trying to find out if my date has an axe murderer penned up inside of her and knowing she is wondering the same thing about me. That’s usually when I think myself into a panic and start acting weird in consequence to trying so hard to act normal.”

Of course, the alternative to "job interview" dating is to quietly play the field, which is apparently what Travis did. He assured friends that we would not marry Jodi, voicing complaints (probably quite truthfully) about her extreme behavior. But these assurances and their “break-up” of the year before didn’t end the relationship; it just took it underground or sometimes, more literally, on the road. (Their 1000 Places to See Before You Die excursions took them beyond disapproving eyes.) The CBS feature included this telling note: “Police confirm they have thousands of e-mails, text messages and records of cell phone calls between Travis and Jodi right up until the day of the murder.” In May, just a month before he was cut down, Travis was still savoring his playmate: “I wonder how much you raise the hotness level of Yerka all by yourself,” he writes, “factoring in its per capita hot stats before you came, I am sure it has raised exponentially.”

Jodi also had issues. Despite her efforts to transition into a new religion and a new career, she was still a sexually liberated outsider who soon lost whatever acceptance she had among Travis’ Mormon friends and probably was still prospering more as a sexy California bartender than as an upward bound Prepaid Legal newbie. Her quite natural public displays of affection would not please Travis’ friends, many of whom were Mormon business associates. In addition, Jodi was intensely jealous and decisively intrusive, long-held traits if we believe this website posting:

“by JadeLeighWalker May 27, 2009 12:28 PM EDT. I wouldn't say I know Jodi, but I have met her several times, in the summer of 97' I was able to witness her "handy work" first hand. She had a prior relationship with a man I was visiting in Yreka, CA. While I was on my way up to see him she broke into his home and cut the telephone wires, and there were a few times during my visit that she would peep through the windows and watch us in the house. When she was properly introduced to me she seemed so nice that you totally forgot all the bizarre things she was doing. And what struck me was, she made no attempt to hide what she was doing...either that or she just wasn't very good at snooping.”

Travis and Jodi were deluding both themselves and each other: Their relationship was neither an honest boyfriend-girlfriend pairing nor an honest "friends with benefit" arrangement. They were occupying some unstable middle ground that would eventually give way.

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/012010/m4047279.pdf

SUPERIOR COURT OF ARIZONA
MARICOPA COUNTY CR2008-031021-001 DT 01/12/2010
CAPITAL CASE MANAGEMENT CONFERENCE
9:01 a.m. This is the time set for Capital Case Management Conference.
State's Attorney: Juan Martinez
Defendant's Attorney: Kirk Nurmi (1​
st chair)
Defendant: Not Present
Court Reporter: Scott Kindle
Defendant’s presence is waived for this proceeding.
Second chair counsel’s presence is waived for this proceeding.
The Court notes that Defense counsel did not file an Affidavit waiving Defendant’s
presence. Therefore,
IT IS ORDERED directing Defense counsel to file an Affidavit if Defendant intends on waiving her appearance at any future court proceeding(s).

Docket Code 028
Form R000D Page 2

The Court has received the Case Management Plan filed on 01/08/2010.
Discussion is held.
Detective Michael Melendez is sworn and testifies.
Defendant’s Exhibit 1 is marked for identification and on the Court’s own motion,
received in evidence.
The witness is excused.
Based on the testimony presented,
IT IS ORDERED denying Defendant’s Renewed Request for Discovery Relating to anyand all Forensic Examinations Conducted upon any and Electronic Media.

The Court has received and considered Defendant’s Motion to Strike State’s Death Notice Since Death by Lethal Injection will Result in Cruel and Unusual Punishment and the State’s Response.Counsel advise the Court that no further argument is needed.

IT IS ORDERED denying Defendant’s Motion to Strike State’s Death Notice Since Death by Lethal Injection will Result in Cruel and Unusual Punishment.

The Court has received and considered Defendant’s Motion to Exclude Fingerprint Evidence and the State’s Response.
Counsel advise the Court that no further argument is needed.
IT IS ORDERED denying Defendant’s Motion to Exclude Fingerprint Evidence.

Discussion is held re: Defendant’s Request for Hearing; Admissibility of Interviews
Conducted by “48 Hours” and Defendant’s Request for Out-of-State Summons Pursuant to A.R.S. § 13-4093. Based on the discussions held,
IT IS ORDERED setting Evidentiary Hearing on March 12, 2010...

A few comments: First, it is odd that Jodi did not accept the opportunity to leave her narrow prison confines to attend the hearing. Perhaps it's nervousness about the death penalty issue that is keeping her away. (A slightly latter hearing, by the way, postponed that decision.) Second, the defense's predictable loss on the fingerprint evidence issue bodes very badly for her case. If the 48 Hours interview is let in and one imagines that it will be, Ms. Arias' goose is cooked.

A few comments: First, it is odd that Jodi did not accept the opportunity to leave her narrow prison confines to attend the hearing. Perhaps it's nervousness about the death penalty issue that is keeping her away. (A slightly latter hearing, by the way, postponed that decision.) Second, the defense's predictable loss on the fingerprint evidence issue bodes very badly for her case. If the 48 Hours interview is let in and one imagines that it will be, Ms. Arias' goose is cooked.[/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]

snipped by me

I wonder if she decided not to show up for the hearing, or if her lawyers advised that she should remain behind. They seem to have to have done a good case of shutting her down speaking to the media, then again, maybe the media hasn't been trying to contact her because her story is "old news" until the trial starts.

Her lawyers seemed to have forgotten to file the affidavit waiving her appearance, which you would think would be standard knowledge and something you would do without second thought, doesn't look good for defense counsel to forget something so basic that is stipulated in the rules, in my opinion.

I did find it amusing that they were trying to get away from the death penalty by saying it was cruel and unusual punishment. Travis lost his life, and from the sounds of it, in a very painful manner, so I don't see how "lethal" injection is actually considered cruel, if she does get it, she won't even feel a thing.

snipped by me

I wonder if she decided not to show up for the hearing, or if her lawyers advised that she should remain behind. They seem to have to have done a good case of shutting her down speaking to the media, then again, maybe the media hasn't been trying to contact her because her story is "old news" until the trial starts.

Her lawyers seemed to have forgotten to file the affidavit waiving her appearance, which you would think would be standard knowledge and something you would do without second thought, doesn't look good for defense counsel to forget something so basic that is stipulated in the rules, in my opinion.

I did find it amusing that they were trying to get away from the death penalty by saying it was cruel and unusual punishment. Travis lost his life, and from the sounds of it, in a very painful manner, so I don't see how "lethal" injection is actually considered cruel, if she does get it, she won't even feel a thing.

Hi, Nobodyzgirl; thanks; as usual, really interesting comments.

I think that you're right that her lawyers have effectively protected her since she torpedoed herself with those interviews. I'm sure that journalists and interviewers would love to get Ms. Arias in front of cameras or audio recorders again: Every time she's spoken, she's provided hot new material.

And I agree that filing the paperwork is a pretty standard procedure. My thought is that the absence of paperwork might indicate that it was a last minute decision. Because it's a private hearing, I suspect that it was Jodi's choice, not their's. Many defendants feel like that they're just tiny pawns in a legal system that they don't really understand: This might be Jodi's little act of protest about the process. Or perhaps, she's still claiming that she prefers execution to life in imprisonment, so she's boycotting that appeal.

From what we know, the attack on Travis was terrifying and painful and his death was not quick. What a terrible waste of such a good human being.

Some lethal injections have been botched, opening the door to objections on those grounds. In my unprofessional view, the defense is just setting the groundwork for a post-conviction appeal that they almost certainly would lose. (It's unlikely, but it might even be that they are using these maneuvers to convince Jodi that they have tried everything to get the death penalty off the table and that it's time for her to thing about a plea bargain. Competent lawyers, I think, would realize that the case against her is very, very strong.)

What in the world are they trying to do now? Move the trial to another county?
As if Travis's murder wasn't crazy enough now all of this for the trial. Seems like Jodi's defense atty is getting desperate.

CR2008-031021-001 DT 01/21/2010
Docket Code 023 Form R000A Page 1
CLERK OF THE COURT
SPECIAL MASTER RUTH V. MCGREGOR K. Schermerhorn
Deputy
STATE OF ARIZONA JUAN M MARTINEZ
v.
JODI ANN ARIAS (001) KIRK NURMI
VICTORIA ELISABETH WASHINGTON
BOB JAMES - CRIMINAL COURT
ADMINISTRATOR
VICTIM SERVICES DIV-CA-CCC
HON. WALLACE R. HOGGATT
COCHISE COUNTY SUPERIOR COURT
P.O. DRAWER CG
BISBEE AZ 85603
RULING
These matters were assigned to the Special Master for consideration pursuant to Arizona
Supreme Court AO 2009-124.
Defense counsel in these matters have filed motions to disqualify the Maricopa County
Attorney’s Office from prosecuting criminal matters filed in the Superior Court of Arizona for
Maricopa County.
Having considered the documents filed,
IT IS ORDERED assigning defense motion to the Honorable Wallace R. Hoggatt, Judge
of the Arizona Superior Court for Cochise County.

What in the world are they trying to do now? Move the trial to another county?
As if Travis's murder wasn't crazy enough now all of this for the trial. Seems like Jodi's defense atty is getting desperate.

CR2008-031021-001 DT 01/21/2010
Docket Code 023 Form R000A Page 1
CLERK OF THE COURT
SPECIAL MASTER RUTH V. MCGREGOR K. Schermerhorn
Deputy
STATE OF ARIZONA JUAN M MARTINEZ
v.
JODI ANN ARIAS (001) KIRK NURMI
VICTORIA ELISABETH WASHINGTON
BOB JAMES - CRIMINAL COURT
ADMINISTRATOR
VICTIM SERVICES DIV-CA-CCC
HON. WALLACE R. HOGGATT
COCHISE COUNTY SUPERIOR COURT
P.O. DRAWER CG
BISBEE AZ 85603
RULING
These matters were assigned to the Special Master for consideration pursuant to Arizona
Supreme Court AO 2009-124.
Defense counsel in these matters have filed motions to disqualify the Maricopa County
Attorney’s Office from prosecuting criminal matters filed in the Superior Court of Arizona for
Maricopa County.
Having considered the documents filed,
IT IS ORDERED assigning defense motion to the Honorable Wallace R. Hoggatt, Judge
of the Arizona Superior Court for Cochise County.

Hi, RIP~Travis. Thanks for putting this up. I think that desperation is the right call: I read it as part of their late game attempt to gain what little advantage they can. A change of venue might help them a little, but at this late date, it's not going to happen. Again, I think that they're in a sense conceding defeat and setting themselves up for post-conviction appeals. But I am not a lawyer.

Hi Chanler, long time no speak :)

Question for you. I have a rough idea of the role a Special Master plays in a death penalty case, but can you outline it for me?

Hi Chanler, long time no speak :)

Question for you. I have a rough idea of the role a Special Master plays in a death penalty case, but can you outline it for me?

Hi, Knox, it's always good to see your posts.

Apparently Special Master McGregor is a retired judge who is working nearly full-time:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/opinions/articles/2009/12/30/20091230wed1-30.html

From what I can gather, the Special Master is ruling only on the question of whether death by legal injection is a cruel and unusual punishment. I think that the defense lawyers maintain that in previous cases, the current judge has already made a decisive negative stand on that question.

McGregor seems to be a good choice to contemplate this question. She seems to be well-respected and a few years ago, she set up a task force to address the state's unusually muddled backlog of death row cases:

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1311688591.html

In any case, I think that the central question won't be resolved to Jodi's lawyers' satisfaction in an Arizona court. As recently as 1999, Arizona courts ruled that death by lethal injection is legal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lethal_injection#cite_note-20

Thus the defense likely will have to bump it up to a higher court; but I honestly doubt that they will get the answer they're hoping for.

Hope this helps. It was fun researching.

Thank you Chanler, off to read your links!
Disappointed to learn the trial has been postponed until August!!!!

I've been so caught up in another case in WS that happened in Canada this week that I haven't had a chance to check out this forum. I did find this in the court minutes so I thought I would post it. Thanks Chanler for posting the other links.

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/022010/m4077166.pdf

Like Knox, I'm disappointed to learn that the trial has been postponed until August.

I've been so caught up in another case in WS that happened in Canada this week that I haven't had a chance to check out this forum. I did find this in the court minutes so I thought I would post it. Thanks Chanler for posting the other links.

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/022010/m4077166.pdf

Like Knox, I'm disappointed to learn that the trial has been postponed until August.

Thanks, Nobodyzgirl! Apparently, there is a hearing tomorrow about the defense motion to have the Maricopa County Attorney office disqualified from the case. The grounds for that motion aren't stated, but I doubt that Arias' lawyer will get their way. This is a major crime that has already incurred considerable time and expense and from what I can detect, the D.A. office has made far fewer mistakes than Jodi herself.

Thanks, Nobodyzgirl! Apparently, there is a hearing tomorrow about the defense motion to have the Maricopa County Attorney office disqualified from the case. The grounds for that motion aren't stated, but I doubt that Arias' lawyer will get their way. This is a major crime that has already incurred considerable time and expense and from what I can detect, the D.A. office has made far fewer mistakes than Jodi herself.

I just checked the website and they denied Jodi's request for everything. I think they are finally getting as disgusted as we on about all of the postponements. :thumb:

But this request was also listed in the case history as of 2-24-2010.

NOTE: TO REQUEST FOR GREATER SPECIFICITY AS TO THE ALTERNATIVE CHARGE OF FELONY MURDER

They better not let her pled to a lesser charge and not go to trial, that would be so unfair to Travis. :furious:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anyclimate3010