NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.davisclipper.com/pages/f...iends-+strangers &id=5388187&instance=InsideS

I remembered some details of this article, but in googling Steven K, I noticed that this article is by Steven's dad.
'snipped'
by Rolf Koecher
Our world was turned upside down by a phone call Thursday evening, exactly two weeks ago.

This isn’t the type of column I ever expected to write because bad news happens to other people. And as journalists, we see ourselves as those who report on events but don’t really feel comfortable in the limelight ourselves.

Yet owing to reports published in at least two Utah newspapers last week, I feel the Clipper needs to acknowledge what has happened.

The phone call was to alert us that my 30-year-old son Steven’s car had been found abandoned in Henderson, Nev., — near Las Vegas — for four days.

Having started my journalism career as a police reporter in the Las Vegas area, I knew the implications. Especially after four days.

That touched off an odyssey I could have never imagined. That evening, we filed an official missing persons report, but not after doing battle with police agencies over jurisdiction.

And that set the tone for all that was to follow.
'...more at link...'

ot: article by Steven's father:
http://davisclipper.com/pages/full_...id=5195485&instance=home_news_secondary_story

the link led to another story but if you search articles for Koecher you can get the article.

I do not live in the Henderson area, so,
has Steven's info/pic appeared on the Anderson Dairy milk cartons yet?

We are lucky to have those videos. What I noticed about the first video was that Steven has a surprising lack of interest in his surroundings. Most people who are in a new environment will look around to orient themselves, but he does not do that at all. I agree that he did seem to slow down when he drove close to Evening Lights Avenue, but could that have been because he was approaching a side street ? What I conclude from these things is that he had been there before,and maybe more than once ; it all seemed very familiar to him. I read that there were several coats, and possibly blankets and pillows in the car, and I think that is why he parked away from his eventual destination. He did not want anyone to think he was sleeping in his car.
There is a very high rate of unemployment in the Vegas valley, and he would have had a tough time finding work with no local references. Just my opinion

One thing I want to clear up. In the timeline given by Naelge several posts back this info is given:

December 12 , 2009 Stopped for gas and snacks at Shell Oil in Mesquite, Nevada
December 12, 2009 JS saw Steven leave his apartment in St George at 10:30

Is that order correct? Doesnt make sense he would drive into nevada to fill up and then come home later at night. Makes more sense that the order is flipped and he left at 10:30 and filled up in Mequite around 11 to 11:30.

Opinions please.

I agree that it doesn't make sense, especially when Steve was confirmed in St. George on Dec. 12 by the K-Mart purchase. That's more reliable, IMO, than the neighbor's sighting.

Webb said he asked Koecher to attend a church meeting in his place that day at 11 a.m.

"He said he was in Las Vegas, but would go back [to St. George] if I needed him to," said Webb. "I was also in Vegas so decided to go back myself. I told him just to do whatever it was he had to do and I'd see him later. That's it. I wish I would have asked him to go back to St. George."

Webb, who did not know why Koecher was in the Las Vegas area, said his friend always told him if he was not planning to be at church. That Sunday, he never called.

"It's one thing that sticks out in my mind," said Webb.

---------------------

This phone call was on Sunday was it not? If Steven and Webb spoke on the phone, and they determined that Webb would return to St. George and not Steven... then wouldn't Webb know that Steven wasn't going to show up for church? Why would he say Steven never called if he'd already talked to him that day? What time is church?

Maybe I've missed something here.

This phone call was on Sunday was it not? If Steven and Webb spoke on the phone, and they determined that Webb would return to St. George and not Steven... then wouldn't Webb know that Steven wasn't going to show up for church? Why would he say Steven never called if he'd already talked to him that day? What time is church?

Maybe I've missed something here.

I could be wrong, but I took Webb's statement to mean that it was unusual for him to have found out Steve wouldn't be at church through Webb's phone call to Steve. That typically, Steve would have called him in advance to tell him such, but he didn't that day. I think.

Webb said he asked Koecher to attend a church meeting in his place that day at 11 a.m.

Does that mean that he asked him to cover at 11:00 am of that the meeting was at 11?

I can't wait to see the visual time line!

Its coming along. I might have even been done by now but I made a few goof ups along the way and am trying to clean it up so as to be easily understood.

Let me put out one thing Ive noticed. Id like some feedback on this.

I looked up the route info for St. George to Ruby valley. The 6.5 hour figure I posted before is inaccurate. One route is just over 10 hours going through SLC. The other is 200 miles shorter, but not on major highways and takes forty minutes longer. I think this is significant for a few reasons.

AnneMaries family said he arrived at 11:00am. That means if he had stayed in St. George the night before he would have had to leave at 1 in the morning. This leads me to believe he jumped off from SLC or another northern Utah location to visit that day and then returned to that spot where he spent the rest of the 8th and the 9th. The stop at Springerville for gas could have been on his trip back to St. George.

So what we think is two trips to norhtern Utah on the 8th and 10th could very well be one trip. Which leaves the big question. Who did he stay with on the night of the 7th, 8th, and 9th?

Also, the trip from SLC to Ruby Valley is 4.5 hours. A very significant investment of time and money to visit someone you havn't made plans with ahead of time.

Also, he drove 9 hours to visit AnneMarie but she wasn't home. Then he was in SLC but didn't visit her. Doesn't add up either.

Its coming along. I might have even been done by now but I made a few goof ups along the way and am trying to clean it up so as to be easily understood.

I looked up the route info for St. George to Ruby valley. The 6.5 hour figure I posted before is inaccurate. One route is just over 10 hours going through SLC. The other is 200 miles shorter, but not on major highways and takes forty minutes longer. I think this is significant for a few reasons.

AnneMaries family said he arrived at 11:00am. That means if he had stayed in St. George the night before he would have had to leave at 1 in the morning. This leads me to believe he jumped off from SLC or another northern Utah location to visit that day and then returned to that spot where he spent the rest of the 8th and the 9th. The stop at Springerville for gas could have been on his trip back to St. George.

So what we think is two trips to norhtern Utah on the 8th and 10th could very well be one trip. Which leaves the big question. Who did he stay with on the night of the 7th, 8th, and 9th?

Also, the trip from SLC to Ruby Valley is 4.5 hours. A very significant investment of time and money to visit someone you havn't made plans with ahead of time.

It is odd that he seemingly did not call ahead for that visit to Annemarie. The other objects in the car could show that he did sleep in the car during some of these trips.

These unexplained last minute visits could just have been his way of seeing some of these people for the last time, without coming out and saying it.

It is odd that he seemingly did not call ahead for that visit to Annemarie. The other objects in the car could show that he did sleep in the car during some of these trips.

To me its crazy to think he slept in his car in freezing weather for three days when he had family nearby. He didn't want family to know he was there for some reason.

If I was planning to sleep in my car for three days I'd take a lot more than a bunch of coats. Sleeping bag maybe. Changes of clothes. Not to say he didnt have those things on this trip because he didnt in Vegas.

Point is, his trip was unannounced, distant, secret.

Could his mention of Sacramento to AnneMarie's family be a cover to explain his passing through so far from home?

the link led to another story but if you search articles for Koecher you can get the article.

There's two links; the top one is the full story about Steven's disappearance; the bottom one is about our local school scammers who got off with a slap on the wrist....after stealing millions.

The Springville stop on the 10th, to me, is only a fueling stop coming back from Ruby Valley and wherever else he went on the 8th and 9th.

Unless we get definitive times, we really can't sequence anything. I've put the timeline together in webpage sequence, but it's not working. I get caught in the same things you do.

Ruby Valley is so far off the freeway, that the reasonable route from St George (or Vegas) is up US-93 (as I posted last evening). My mapping software, which prioritizes freeway routes, didn't use I-15.

It's also so far out of the way, that one would have to seriously aim for it -- even if he didn't start out with it as a destination. The fact that he dropped in, expecting to see Annemarie, is odd. In fact, troubling.

Who did he stay with? Likely no one. I think he slept in his car.

What would we do for a friend that called and said he needed help, don't tell anyone, go here, park there, and walk to this place. But why?
I wonder if the police have confirmed where Steven's ex roommate was on the day he dissapeared. Jordan Z. (ex roomy) moved in the night or when Steven was not home because Steven called my husband the next moring to ask us if we had been to the house, he was trying to figure out if our house had been broken into because some things were missing.

Jordan changed door knobs and kept his room locked so he couldn't see if Jordans room was emptied. But the garbage can, toaster, coffee maker and a whole bunch of cleaning items are the items I remember him telling my husband were missing. The TV was still there, so hubby told him his roomy had probably moved out and taken those things. This happened about the last week of Octover. My husband kept in contact with Jordan and told him he still owed the rent and we didn't want to take him to court but we could, and that he also stole things. Jordan told me husband that we had no proof that he stold anything and my husband told him Steven had called us the day after the moved out wondering if the house was broken into because things were missing. Steven was a witness that things were taken.

When we finally did get the door to Jordans room open there was evidence that Jordan had had drugs, pot, in his room. There was flakes and stuff all over the carpet which was not vacuumed and on a shelf in the room there was stuff out of a cigar and pot flakes like the tobacco was taken out and pot put in. The cops came over to check out Jordans room and did see that stuff there. Other than that the room was empty.

I keep wondering if Steven had found something out about Jordan's illegal activities. Jordan is pretty young, mid 20's I think but what if he was some kind of drug dealer or something.

I do not think Steven was involved in any kind of drug activity. I did not know him at all and only saw him probably twice, very breifly, the whole time he lived there but he seemed like a shy but nice and easy going guy.

Ditto. I have never participated or been involved on this site before. I can't shake this.

So he left at 10:30 the night before? Where did he stay? Surely he didn't sleep in his car......he could have left the morning of and still had plenty of time to make his 12:00 appt. hmmmmm

I dont think we know for a fact that he never returned to the apartment. We just know that that was the last time he was seen leaving the apartment. Remember, its late at night. He could have returned at midnight and left at 6:30 am, while most people were sleeping.
The neighbor saw him/his car come home stay for a very short amount of time and leave at 10:30 pm. It is possible he came back home again later that evening and left early the next morning without the neighbors noticing.

If he didn't he might have slept in his car, at a hostel, or with a friend. When my husband is on business trips he will plan to sleep in his car a few nights to save on the hotel expense.
You have it right. Steven's been known to sleep in his car if he's traveling alone. He did have a shaving kit in the car with him and... losts of coats. I don't know what to think about that.
I'm so sorry what your family is going through, we pray for you guys everyday!! We just can't imagine what happened or where Steve is. He had been our best renter and we hoped to have him living at our home for a long time. My heart breaks for your family and I worry about Steven everyday!

Has the family explored his Brazil (I think that is where I read he went on his mission) connections? I know his mission was years ago but my brother in law kept in touch with some of the families and people he taught in Mexico. If for some reason he did want to dissapear intentionally that is one place he would know how to get around in and might think no one would look for him there. Could what he have been carrying have been plane tickets and a travel itenary? How far is where he parked the car from the Henderson airport?
I know that theory doesn't really fit the clues either but if the mission president there could put the word out, it couldn't hurt right?

KC. Do you know what type of housekeeper Steven was? The landlord states that the room was tidied up but there was still a lot of stuff there. Is it odd for the room to have been tidied up. Could he have had company?

Would anyone know if things were missing, such as clothing, duffle bags, toiletries, etc? Also, what about birth certificates, passports, etc. I know that questions been asked a few times, but I haven't seen the answer.

Also, according to the landlord: "The last time the neighbors saw Steve was 10:30 pm Saturday night. John across the street said saw Steve & his car there for about 20 or 30 min and he was gone by 10:30 pm." Does that mean he gets to his house around 10:00pm runs in for 20 min (tidys up, grabs a bag of clothes, including dress clothes for next day) and runs out the door again? Sounds like he could have been in a hurry. But why?

The house is a three bedroom two bath home. We kept the master bedroom/bath for us to use and rented out the other two bedrooms. The master bedroom has it's own private entrance so when we did stay there we never ventured out into the rest of the house. While the guys kept it picked up they didn't keep the floors very clean and we have a baby. We were always visiting friends and family so if we were staying at the house it was mostly just for the night, then we were gone. Like I said I only ever saw Steven twice just in passing. Husband knew him better and saw him more than that because he travels a lot more for work and he took care of the renting the rooms and maintance on the house.

There were only two times I ever peeked into Stevens room. It was after he started trouble paying his rent and all I wanted to see was if his stuff was still there or if it was all gone. The first time I quickly peeked in was when we stayed overnight at the house on our way to visit family, in Nov. His stuff was still there but looked kind of messy, the bed was not made and I noticed there were piles of stuff on the floor. In kind of a neat messy way like maybe he was sorting his laundry. The center of the floor was still clear. Like I said I was only looking to make sure he hadn't bailed out on us so I was just glancing in to make sure his stuff was still there. I woul be hard pressed to actually say what was in the room besides his bed, desk, and dresser.

The second time I peeked into his room was just before he went missing. We stayed at the house overnight and I think it was the Monday of the 14th. We were on our way back to Orem and I again just wanted to make sure he hadn't up and moved out. This time his room looked cleaned up. The bed was made and the piles were gone/put away. Things looked neat and tidy but it still looked like everything was there and he was still living there.

I don't know it that means anything or not. I don't think it means anything to much beause on any given day my house is a mess one day and cleaner the next.

Im starting to get the vibe the trips to Vegas and the trips to the SLC area are related. They are all hush hush and in very rapid succession. Any chance he was doing work as a shuttle on the side? Perhaps he thought his family would disapprove because it could be potentially dangerous.

He was in a 55+ community. This demographic could potentially need a ride to and from locations. Did he go to pick someone up that day to shuttle them to Utah? If a client asked you to park in a culdesac when you came to pick them up, would you? Or maybe there were cars on that street and he couldn't park where he wanted to.

Just throwin out another possibility that sorta fits.
Interesting theory. If someone else had plans of doing something they didn't want others to know about or a trip then they might just hire a ride.

Sorry, one more thing. I know everyone has touched on this but it looked interesting again to me.

"He said he was in Las Vegas, but would go back [to St. George] if I needed him to," said Webb. "I was also in Vegas so decided to go back myself. I told him just to do whatever it was he had to do and I'd see him later. That's it. I wish I would have asked him to go back to St. George."

Webb, who did not know why Koecher was in the Las Vegas area, said his friend always told him if he was not planning to be at church. That Sunday, he never called.

"It's one thing that sticks out in my mind," said Webb.

Like it has been stated, it seems he is making points to cover that he is in contact with Steven often. They are probably EQ teachers and he wanted him to cover teaching that Sunday. Was he at church on the 10th since he was in Springville and if not, did Steven call that Sunday and tell Webb he would not be there? EQ teachers probably alternate Sundays and if the 13th was GW's day to teach, did Steven make it back from Ruby/Springville area to teach Sunday the 10th?

If he was giving someone a ride that was not firm he may not have know wether he would miss his meetings or not. If the job/interview/whatever fell through he could still make it home in time.

I don't know, none of it is logical! I too have thought what if he got randomly mugged and knocked on the head.

We are praying for you Steven, we are praying for your family. You are missed and loved by many.

I have to take care of my baby now, he is upset, but I will keep reading more later today. I pray that Steven is found safe and sound soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MairinAmaliah