VA VA - Kelly Catalano, 40, Chesterfield, 15 Jan 2010 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have the police gotten the information back from Kelly's phone records? We need to know who was calling her. Very odd she disappeared on what would have been an anniversary. Also, conflicting info on exactly who broke the relationship off. She went to the trouble to change her locks after the break up? Was she scared? I've broken up with people but I didn't have to change my locks.

Are we really sure that Kelly changed the locks at her house?

Could her family have suggested that Kelly do so after the break-up and she said "yes I'm going to do this," and perhaps she just never got around to actually changing the locks? Or maybe said that to pacify her family?

If Kelly did actually change the locks - it's good "business" of her to do so but could also be telling that she was fearful or felt unsafe in some way.

Are we really sure that Kelly changed the locks at her house?

Could her family have suggested that Kelly do so after the break-up and she said "yes I'm going to do this," and perhaps she just never got around to actually changing the locks? Or maybe said that to pacify her family?

If Kelly did actually change the locks - it's good "business" of her to do so but could also be telling that she was fearful or felt unsafe in some way.
why would you change the locks on your house if you are just going to leave your doors unlocked when you leave? Again another conflicting story, family says she used the garage door opener, ConcernedInVa says she often left her doors unlocked from being in a hurry/coming home late.

Any answers you have would be great. Not trying to interrogate you but if you lived there and have known Kelly for so long, these might be best answered by you and they could clear up a lot of things that don't make much sense.

1) Kelly and I both had Lasik eye surgery several years ago, if glasses had been found (which I do not know if they have or have not), they would have most likely been safety glasses. They could be sunglasses, but she usually kept those in her car and she rarely wore them anyway. She did not label her goggles, but her gloves should have had her initials "KDC" written with a permanent marker. She was very specific about identifying what was hers. I don't know that glasses of any sort have been found, or what time it was when they were searching.

2) She kept her cell phone with her, usually in her shirt pocket, I think, but cannot be certain. The times I did see her at work, she was on her lunch break.

3) Her machine and work station are located right next to a door. The door towards the center of the building on the side of the building in the photograph where the employees parked their cars. I don't recall windows in the shop at all, but cannot be certain. There may have been windows higher up, but none near her work station.

4) It's a fabrication shop, some moments were louder than others, but Kelly always wore her hearing protectors, other employees probably should have been wearing theirs as well. I thought she left her phone on vibrate, but can't be certain.

5) I first heard the news of Kelly's disappearance at 5:30 or so, Friday afternoon. I received a voicemail from one of the detectives and called him back right away.

6) The neighbor who is feeding the cats was not at home. I left the bag of catfood at the front door of Kelly's house. The neighbor I spoke with was a different neighbor, the one from the newscast. I should not have been Kelly's emergency contact, but I believe the neighbor gave the police my name and contact information, but the company should have had it in their files as well.

7) When I stopped to visit the neighbor, another neighbor called because she thought I was Kelly. My neighbor informed her that it was me, not Kelly. The other neighbor said that Kelly and I walked alike. There were no patrol cars in the area, no cars out of place on the street.

8) The neighbor I spoke with is elderly, the front door is not visible from her house at all, but Kelly's back door is visible from certain parts of her house. She made no mention of anyone coming or going, aside from Kelly's family and the police.

9) The locks were definitely changed. Kelly gave me the original door knobs, deadbolts and keys. Kelly had changed the locks before I had removed all of my belongings from the house.

Hope that helps.

I may be a bit cynical these days and don't mean to offend anyone, just trying to understand this mystery! If I had been in a nasty break up with someone and hadn't had contact with the person since August and wasn't on good terms with the family I can't see myself getting so involved, sure I would be inquisitive but I think I would stay away from her house, why the concern now?

why would you change the locks on your house if you are just going to leave your doors unlocked when you leave? Again another conflicting story, family says she used the garage door opener, ConcernedInVa says she often left her doors unlocked from being in a hurry/coming home late.

In an earlier post ConcernedinVA also said that Kelly changed the locks BEFORE Concerned moved out her things out. Let me go see if I can find that post.

I may be a bit cynical these days and don't mean to offend anyone, just trying to understand this mystery! If I had been in a nasty break up with someone and hadn't had contact with the person since August and wasn't on good terms with the family I can't see myself getting so involved, sure I would be inquisitive but I think I would stay away from her house, why the concern now?

ugh - I should be involved, I shouldn't be involved, I'm too involved, I'm not involved enough....everyone has an opinion. It is a difficult situation for all involved. I thought I might have information that was helpful in finding Kelly. For the most part, the break-up was as amicable as a break-up could be. Prior to August 2009, I would occasionally care for the pets while Kelly was out of town. The separation was difficult for Kelly to handle. The way she handled me getting my things out of the house was not good, and we agreed to cut ties completely. She sent my mom an email that same day saying that she was sorry they could no longer be friends. (They had been going out ballroom dancing together on Friday nights, not every Friday, but often.)

concernedinVA,
I thank you for your honest and mature answers to questions. I know this can not be easy for you.

Why was Kelly afraid that her ex might try and come back into her house, having all the locks changed is unusual unless you are scared of that person!

Thanks to Concerned. I know if someone was a part of my life for a number of years and disappeared I would want to help in any way, no matter how it ended. Appreciate all you have said to help.

Because when I lived there, my car was the one in the garage. The point was that Kelly was usually in a hurry leaving for work in the morning. She would use the front door and many times left it unlocked.

After I left for good, she parked her car in the garage. Which to me would only indicate that if she had possibly forgotten to lock the doors, she probably wouldn't have even noticed because she would have been exiting through the door to the garage.

Why was Kelly afraid that her ex might try and come back into her house, having all the locks changed is unusual unless you are scared of that person!
I am confused. I have not heard that she was scared of her ex. To me it sounds like she was angry that her girlfriend broke up with her and changed all the locks before she even had her stuff out of the house.

Changing locks during a breakup/moving out... does not necessarily indicate fear imho.

Not to mention, LE have already contacted her ex and I am sure verified her whereabouts for that day.

jmhoo

So Kelly changed the locks but then allowed you to take care of her cats while she was away, I assume you had a key to the new locks?

concernedinva:
I am glad you are on WS to try and help Kelly; to share what you know of Kelly and her life which could lead to finding her.

In all missing persons cases, details are often misstated by the media, by interviews taken out of context.
It is like the game of telephone.

As for things like, did Kelly lock doors or not?:
Maybe she changed her routine after the breakup. Maybe she started using the garage door more often.
Maybe she was more cautious living alone.

And as for your being involved now by being on WS, bringing cat food to help out,
by contacting her family members:
I cannot speak for anyone else.
But if I had a former loved one go missing, I would do the same thing.
If family told me, thanks, but no thanks, I would still see if I could help, by talking with the police, contacting coworkers to see if there was anything I could do,
going on WS, writing emails or calling media outlets to get more coverage for Kelly.

IMO: It is a natural instinct of people to suspect a former girlfriend.
No one here knows you.
It would be the same if it were a former boy friend. The questions would be asked.
Have you seen her lately? Do you email her? Do you call her mom? Do you still have keys to the house? Are you involved with anyone else?
Your life becomes an open invitation to many theories and questions.

That isn't always nice. It isn't always okay.
But it is human nature.

That said, I hope you can continue helping by coming to WS and letting us know things
that may lead to finding Kelly.

all IMO.

So Kelly changed the locks but then allowed you to take care of her cats while she was away, I assume you had a key to the new locks?

no...I did not watch the pets after Kelly changed the locks. I can't be certain of the exact date, but Kelly changed the locks sometime around August 2009.

In an earlier post ConcernedinVA said that Kelly changed the locks BEFORE Concerned moved out her things out. Let me go see if I can find that post.

Found it. So, for clarification, the post about Kelly changing the locks before CIV moved out is #303.

In an earlier post ConcernedinVA said that Kelly changed the locks BEFORE Concerned moved out her things out. Let me go see if I can find that post.

Found it. So, for clarification, the post about Kelly changing the locks before CIV moved out is #303.

You've been busy! I re posted the info - #505

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members