Landfill Searches

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assuming sloppy reporting on that suit case. It's like he was blindly trying to explain to the viewers what a diaper bag looked like...and obviously it doesn't look like a suitcase. I bet that reporter have never seen the photos of the bag in the hotel room photos. MOO.

Perhaps LE is just looking for anything that a small body could fit into thus mentioning a suitcase.

Also, I wonder if they are looking for anything from that hotel's trash that may have come from EJ's room to give them a clue as to her movements such as receipts....I hope so.

Also, I wonder if they are looking for anything from that hotel's trash that may have come from EJ's room to give them a clue as to her movements such as receipts....I hope so.

It would make sense that they'd be looking for this as well; however, I have to imagine that when dealing with tons of garbage, that truly is a needle in a haystack.

Maybe pizza boxes would not be so hard to find.

The news coverage says that cadaver dogs have been brought in, and that they are trained to tell the difference between animal and human remains.

Praying that those amazing dogs noses don't find anything!

I hope they find evidence that Gabriel is alive (empty diaper bag). And if he is alive, J.J. Armes will find him and EJ and TS will be convicted and set to prison. That might make other people think twice about these illegal adoptions.

Officers search tons of garbage at landfill for missing boy
Web Posted: 02/19/2010 10:10 CST

Authorities have rummaged through more than 100 tons of debris in their search for a missing Arizona baby at an East Side landfill.

The second phase in the search for 9-month-old Gabriel Johnson started Thursday when 35 officers with the San Antonio Police Department, the U.S. Marshals Service and the FBI began looking through piles of trash for anything of “evidentiary value,” officials said. The officers are also getting help from six cadaver dogs.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/84825262.html

Officers search tons of garbage at landfill for missing boy
Web Posted: 02/19/2010 10:10 CST

Authorities have rummaged through more than 100 tons of debris in their search for a missing Arizona baby at an East Side landfill.

The second phase in the search for 9-month-old Gabriel Johnson started Thursday when 35 officers with the San Antonio Police Department, the U.S. Marshals Service and the FBI began looking through piles of trash for anything of “evidentiary value,” officials said. The officers are also getting help from six cadaver dogs.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/84825262.html

Well, one hundred tons down...only fourty five thousand tons to go.

Come on EJ, you've had your fun, freaking talk already.

What a horrible horrible task.....

I do think that this is what Elizabeth did tho...she said she did it and I think she did

From Nancy Grace....I bolded the key words that Elizabeth sent to Logan>>
if the garbage don`t come first."

GRACE: With us tonight, a very special guest, and we are taking your calls live. With us, the chief of the San Antonio Police Department, Chief Bill McManus. Chief, we now know more of the details of what 23-year-old Elizabeth Johnson said to the biological father, the bio father.

Chief, the details that she gave the father are much, much more chilling than, I smothered the baby, I hid him in the diaper bag and I threw him in the trash. It says, "You can spend the rest of your pathetic life wondering about" baby Gabriel. "I`m already boarding a plane out of the country. When I`m safe, I`ll e-mail you the exact location of dead Gabriel`s little blue body, if the garbage don`t come first."

You know, Chief, you`re probably a lot more diplomatic than me, but she can rot in hell for this e-mail alone, to say dead Gabriel`s "little blue body"! Is that the correct wording, Chief, of the text message she sent the baby`s father?

MCMANUS: Well, I`ll tell you, Nancy, I don`t want to get into the details of the investigation, whether you have them correct or not. But I will tell you that the communication that transpired back and forth -- or back to the father, was pretty tragic.

GRACE: Oh! And of course, Chief, as we all know in law enforcement, it only gets in the way. It impedes the investigation. Now, chief, a lot of people want to know what took you so long to start the dig because you had this evidence back in December. I know you`ve got an explanation, including how long it took to get the dig together. Please explain to the viewers.

MCMANUS: We continue to follow up on leads on the missing person investigation. The -- securing the landfill -- by securing the landfill, nothing was going in there, nothing was going out of there. So you know, time was really not that critical in terms of having to search the landfill. Nothing was going to be lost.

http://archives.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1002/09/ng.01.html

What a horrible horrible task.....

I do think that this is what Elizabeth did tho...she said she did it and I think she did

(respectfully snipped)

This woman was apparently thoughtful enough to send her cell phone on a wild goose chase down toward Victoria. Even if she killed Gabriel (and I feel very confident that she didn't), I don't believe she would have used a dumpster near the hotel.

I think the best they will be able to do at this landfill is rule out Gabriel's presence. But that needs to be done. Maybe they will also find a clue to lead them in another direction.

This woman was apparently thoughtful enough to send her cell phone on a wild goose chase down toward Victoria. Even if she killed Gabriel (and I feel very confident that she didn't), I don't believe she would have used a dumpster near the hotel.

I think the best they will be able to do at this landfill is rule out Gabriel's presence. But that needs to be done. Maybe they will also find a clue to lead them in another direction.

I don't think they normally do all this landfill searching unless they have reasonable belief that they will find what they are looking for. Look at all the missing people in this country....if they did a landfill search for each one, LE would be doing nothing but sifting through garbage.

They do them when they have reason to do them...and IMHO her statement about "garbage" is one of those reasons

I don't think they normally do all this landfill searching unless they have reasonable belief that they will find what they are looking for. Look at all the missing people in this country....if they did a landfill search for each one, LE would be doing nothing but sifting through garbage.

They do them when they have reason to do them...and IMHO her statement about "garbage" is one of those reasons

I agree, Logical. Landfill searches are extremely expensive, extremely dangerous to both the people and the dogs, extremely labor intensive, and have a low success rate. They don't do them unless they have strong reason.

I also agree that her statements to Logan in regards to the dumpster and to the garbage are among their reasons for the search.

It's very sad.

I still have hope though that Elizabeth maintained enough control of herself not to harm Gabe. Her goal wasn't to harm Gabe, but to hurt Logan, and she could hurt him severely by giving Gabe away or selling him. Not a good thing by any means, but it would mean Gabe is alive and out there and can potentially be found and returned to his daddy where he belongs.

I still have hope. I still look for Gabe, alive, every single day. There is no alternative.

Of course they have a "reasonable belief" that Gabriel could be there, but I don't think it's much more than that.

IMO, they would not be searching this landfill if (a) they hadn't hit dead ends in more promising directions and run out of leads, (b) they weren't feeling public pressure to search and (c) local donors hadn't volunteered to pick up the tab. Unfortunately, it is just too easy to hide a young child. Gabriel being in this particular landfill is their theory of last resort, and LE has to do *something*:

"A landfill search is expensive, laborious and often fruitless, experts say. They note that without confirmation that the boy is dead and evidence to support the theory that the child is in the dump, the likelihood of finding the body is slim.

'Sometimes unfortunately, you end up having to do things because you have a public out there expecting you to,' said Paul Laska, who once oversaw a landfill search for a child in Florida....

In a 1993 Florida case, when forensic expert Paul Laska worked crime scenes for the Martin County Sheriff's Office, police spent a month searching for a 10-year-old missing girl.

Authorities suspected a convicted child molester... who told the Sheriff's Office he was collecting cans with the girl when she fell and hit her head. He said he panicked, throwing the body in a dumpster.

Police and landfill owners at the time tracked the trash from that dumpster to an area the size of two football fields and spent the entire month of December searching, said Laska, who is now a partner in a forensics consulting business in Florida.

Her body was never found, and charges against [the suspect] did not hold up.

Though police never believed his story that she died accidentally and he dumped her body, authorities had an "obligation" to search the landfill, Laska said.

(BBM)
http://www.azcentral.com/community/...ice-search-landfill-for-baby-gabriel0211.html

If Gabriel is in the Tessman Road landfill, I for one will be truly surprised.

Web Posted: 02/23/2010 1:01 CST
Search for missing Arizona infant postponed

A wintry mix of snow, sleet and rain caused the San Antonio Police Department to postpone the search for a missing Arizona infant in an East Side landfill Tuesday.

“They resumed the search this morning, but have since stopped due to inclement weather,” said spokeswoman Sandy Gutierrez.

If weather allows, authorities plan to continue to search the Tessman Road Landfill Wednesday for 9-month-old Gabriel Johnson, she said.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Search_for_missing_Arizona_infant_postponed.html

OK, I guess I'm confused. I thought that the garbage was taken to an empty warehouse to be searched through. So I can't understand why weather would be holding off the search at this point. Was I misinformed?

So far no news = good news.

BBM, I've said this before and I completely agree with you.

OK, I guess I'm confused. I thought that the garbage was taken to an empty warehouse to be searched through. So I can't understand why weather would be holding off the search at this point. Was I misinformed?

So far no news = good news.

I was wondering this, too. Did they only postpone further digging at the actual landfill, or has this portion of the search (in the warehouse) been postponed as well?

I was wondering this, too. Did they only postpone further digging at the actual landfill, or has this portion of the search (in the warehouse) been postponed as well?

Maybe Phase 1 is just to dig down to the area they are looking for and Phase 2 is actually removing it???
But the media reports make it sound like that garbage has already been removed and is being searched through with dogs and all.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Maybe Phase 1 is just to dig down to the area they are looking for and Phase 2 is actually removing it???
But the media reports make it sound like that garbage has already been removed and is being searched through with dogs and all.

Maybe I'm missing something.

I too was under the impression that phase 1 was digging to the point of interest, and phase 2 involved the cadaver and searchers on foot, sifting through the layer of interest, in the landfill.

I don't think this has been posted previously. It's from another case (Cookie Jacobson), but it shows footage of a landfill search, and contains some description of the process and results of that particular search. (They did not find the person but they do mention finding letters and other evidence).

For informational purposes:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCBCPSDVdDA[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members