Casey files for-Indigency; Defense reveals how much it's been paid!

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From a purely objective standpoint......if JB keeps up these antics.......I think he'll be quite disappointed in his book revenue. I think people would pay far more to see him featured in a dunking booth on the Vegas Strip for 3 months.

JB has every right to earn this and thensome-from a celebrity/wealthy client!!

Doctors (in non-emergency situations) and lawyers should not assume large risk with clients that have no worth or safety net-Otherwise it's called volunteering and pro bono. Almost every other industry would run a credit check in these situations, but no credit check necessary for Ms. Thang...hells bells, she was writing other people's checks and stealing from her grandmther, SHE HAD NO MONEY!

The problem, I think, is that he depended on media to pay the bills...That was another foolish waste of the court's time. He knew she could not pay for this case, but he was lookin out for #1. Even if he were to write a book and sell a cool mil, he can't fund KC's case personally. Once again, JB trying to game the system and finding himself upside down.

I agree. But I don't think JB is the only one behind the mask here. Bet there are some big media people who promoted this case just because they could make a story that would sell, big time. Let's hope Orlando finds out where the path leads, exposes them so the good citizens of this country can say no more, this can't happen again. KC thinks she is Alice in Wonderland. Time to wake up Alice. If the gag order had been placed when it was requested this might be all over by now. She's out of money and clearly out of people to throw under the bus. Who has the courage to tell her? Me thinks JB better practice ducking. JMO

I agree. But I don't think JB is the only one behind the mask here. Bet there are some big media people who promoted this case just because they could make a story that would sell, big time. Let's hope Orlando finds out where the path leads, exposes them so the good citizens of this country can say no more, this can't happen again. KC thinks she is Alice in Wonderland. Time to wake up Alice. If the gag order had been placed when it was requested this might be all over by now. She's out of money and clearly out of people to throw under the bus. Who has the courage to tell her? Me thinks JB better practice ducking. JMO

I'd look in Atlanta, personally.

Whew! Lots of reading and catching up - I have many thoughts. Foremost, this defense (client included) seem to continue to write checks they can't cash. ZERO accountability. JB's past record is riddled with non-payment of child support, bad checks and the like. KC obviously is of the belief that it is someone else's obligation to pay her way. (ie: stealing from parents, grandparents and besties) So why shouldn't the state of Florida pay her way on this? Her thinking...not mine. Neither of these two have any financial smarts whatsoever! JB is all about driving the fancy car - who cares that he can't pay for it - or to hell with putting food in his daughter's mouth - it's all about his persona. Same with KC: who needs a job? Mom & Dad will float me and Caylee has all her needs met.

I have no doubt there have been major expenses for her defense, although it seems to not have produced much. You have court costs and the PI (Mort - if he's even getting paid as Dom never did) and the office light bill...not to mention a huge fuel bill coming from Kissimmee so frequently, cost of the Fraud trial etc. But I am more curious if these items are part of the unexplained $88-138,000 (the difference between the ABC $200-250,000 and the known AL and JB payments). I know JB has to eat and pay his child support, but he sure paid himself off the top and first didn't he? I guess what I'm trying to figure out is the breakdown of costs and where it came from.

So, if she is deemed indigent from JS, will they have to finally fork over the sealed records of how they are getting paid? I thought I heard that at one time? Wouldn't they have disclose a full accounting to date of their expenses? That ought to be juicy. Hope the IRS looks at it too!

Not sure it was ever verified as to how much KC actually received for the pictures. Maybe the figure $225,000 was what KC was asking and they may have only gotten half that amount. Should be interesting to find out. JMO

Oh I'm sure, but how much of that expense is related to the Casey Anthony case? I mean, are those billable hours that he was paid for or is that all for copies of documents and cd's of evidence or did he pay his lease and his electricity and his staff with it? How much ACTUALLY has been spent to DEFEND his client? I doubt it was over one hundred thousand dollars as he has not even had one single expert examine the evidence...where is the money Jose? Billable hours?:waitasec: Did you bill for the little meeting at the Ritz??? I wonder...
I wonder if he charged for babysitting Casey back in August 2008.

Ah, but yes, Muzikman is so much smarter than the average Baez, I mean bear. Muzikman knows he's loved by all here.

You have to wonder does defense get a discount for volume?

OMG, that is my new catchphrase! LOL Lampchop! I love it!

Still don't like her getting help from the state, but I guess as long as Baez and AL's pockets don't get lined, I can live with that. I just don't like the underhanded and deceitful way they went about this. Don't admit upfront she has no money, do almost nothing with her case even though you're getting bloody money to line your pockets until it dries up, and THEN say she's indigent on a Friday at 5.

And my sister is a Florida taxpayer now, and I don't like her money going to help Casey in any way.

Can these people not do one thing straightforward and honestly? I mean seriously...

From a purely objective standpoint......if JB keeps up these antics.......I think he'll be quite disappointed in his book revenue. I think people would pay far more to see him featured in a dunking booth on the Vegas Strip for 3 months.

ME ME ME! SO FIRST IN LINE TO SEE THAT! And do I get to dunk him? That would be even better! lol

OMG, that is my new catchphrase! LOL Lampchop! I love it!

Still don't like her getting help from the state, but I guess as long as Baez and AL's pockets don't get lined, I can live with that. I just don't like the underhanded and deceitful way they went about this. Don't admit upfront she has no money, do almost nothing with her case even though you're getting bloody money to line your pockets until it dries up, and THEN say she's indigent on a Friday at 5.

And my sister is a Florida taxpayer now, and I don't like her money going to help Casey in any way.

Can these people not do one thing straightforward and honestly? I mean seriously...

ME ME ME! SO FIRST IN LINE TO SEE THAT! And do I get to dunk him? That would be even better! lol

Stand back. I've got a crisp $50 bill, and I want my turn NOW.

This may be inappropriate, but my only response comes from The Big Lebowski: This isn't 'Nam, smokey, there are rules!

ABA Rules & state law say you cannot: take a contingency fee in a criminal case (can't make your fee depend on the outcome), acquire a proprietary interest in the litigation - including book or movie rights (and the comments specifically say "to avoid the attorney lawyering for the movie, not the client), you cannot loan your client money or give any money except you can advance reasonable litigation costs (NOT fees).

Where did JB think this money was going to come from? KC has had zero money from day 1 and clearly cannot afford the costs of a private defense attorney. Everyone is entitled to the right to counsel, but not to the counsel of his or her choice unless she can pay for it. Sad, but true.

I'm not sure how much the court can pay if she retains private counsel. Actual court filing fees (like per motion) are one thing, but what depositions to take is a question of strategy up to the lawyer. How much does the court have to put up with?

UGH, also, very doubtful the court would allow substitution of counsel at this point- how much longer are we going to put off this circus? /endrant.

Little trivia for you Floridians about your neighboring state Georgia.

Yes, that was a very convoluted way of saying that the GA Supreme Court heard oral argument in the case of Jamie Ryan Weis, who’s sat in pre-trial confinement for 4 years awaiting a death penalty trial. For the first two years of his confinement, he didn’t even have counsel. The reason? GA has no money. Not for him and not for the 70 or so other capital defendants.

Not only “Georgia court rules”, but ABA standards as well require two lawyers on each capital case. Anything but is sure to result in a reversal. So why doesn’t Georgia have any money to pay for an adequate defense? I’m glad you asked:

The lawyers, Bob Citronberg and Tom West, asked for funds from the Georgia Public Defender Standards Council at a time when the case against courthouse killer Brian Nichols was almost single handedly bankrupting the state defender system. The state wound up paying $2.3 million of Nichols’ total $3.2 million defense tab.

That’s why. One of the most publicized death penalty cases in recent history, which ended without a death sentence.

http://apublicdefender.com/2009/11/15/title-bout-in-ga-death-penalty-vs-no-money/

Which all leads me to wonder if this latest request is not a last ditch effort on the part of Andrea Lyon to try to get the DP off the table.

We have all debated on the possibility of a plea agreement, but quite a few have pointed out that the state would have to offer one first.

So, Ladies and Gentlemen, is this AL's strategic move to SA to force them to offer up a plea of LWOP to avoid bankrupting the State of Florida public defender program? If THAT were to happen, AL could claim a victory in getting DP removed. (Psst...I don't think the mitigating thing is working out for them....)

Is SA willing to gamble over $2 million of taxpayer money without a guarantee of a guilty verdict......or will they play it safe and offer a plea deal?

Next move.....the State of Florida

What if I told you that the State Attorney (i.e. Lawson Lamar) will not even factor in whether the State is paying for Casey's defense.

What if I told you the cost of her defense will not come anywhere near $2 million (more like $100K).

Okay, nevermind, I am telling you that. Lawson Lamar has been the elected State Attorney for Orange and Osceola since 1980 something and he is unlikely to run again because he is reaching age limts in Florida. So he could care less what the State is ordered to pay for her defense.

Most importantly though, the State Attorney is not even a party to Casey's motion to be declared indigent (which she will be); rather the attorneys for the Justice Administration Commission will be the attorneys of record when the request for indigency will be argued. And while they will likely object, Judge Strickland will declare Casey indigent.

However, once she is declared infigent, JAC will only pay the costs if Casey's defense abides by JAC guidelines - which are less than extravegant. As a result he cannot use his priced experts that live out of state unles they are either (1) wiling to accept the JAC rate of pay (about $150 an hour) or (2) if there is no such exert in Florida that could handle an issue Baez needs an expert on - unlikely.

Regardless, in any instance where Baez tries to deviate from the JAC guidelines for pay, he will have to seek court permission to exceed JAC guidelines and the JAC attorneys will appear and object. The net result being much more transperancy regarding who is being paid and for what.

In any event, the most interesting thing will be to see whether Baez lists what he was paid for all of Casey's case. Reason being is the JAC rules require you to list all fees being paid for all of client's current cases. It does not require you to list what you were paid for past cases.

Thus I have a sneaking suspicion that Baez will noy divulge what Casey "paid" him for the Check Fraud case, because he technically no longer represents her on the case (under Florida rules of administration, an attorney ceases being attorney of record 30 days after criiminal case is disposed of).

Bottom line though for you all will be nothing but frustration. Because while this motion will raise a million questions about what Casey was paid or how shady Baez is, the bottom line is that Casey Anthony will be declared indigent - no matter how nasty that tastes.

p.s. Baez himself will receive no money from the state. Rather he has to submit invoices to JAC and they pay the vendors directly.

What if I told you that the State Attorney (i.e. Lawson Lamar) will not even factor in whether the State is paying for Casey's defense.

What if I told you the cost of her defense will not come anywhere near $2 million (more like $100K).

Okay, nevermind, I am telling you that. Lawson Lamar has been the elected State Attorney for Orange and Osceola since 1980 something and he is unlikely to run again because he is reaching age limts in Florida. So he could care less what the State is ordered to pay for her defense.

Most importantly though, the State Attorney is not even a party to Casey's motion to be declared indigent (which she will be); rather the attorneys for the Justice Administration Commission will be the attorneys of record when the request for indigency will be argued. And while they will likely object, Judge Strickland will declare Casey indigent.

However, once she is declared infigent, JAC will only pay the costs if Casey's defense abides by JAC guidelines - which are less that extravegant. As a result he cannot use his high priced experts that live out of state unles they are either (1) wiling to accept the JAC rate of pay (about $150 an hgour, which is peanuts for a guy like Dr. Lee - thus unlikely to take) or (2) if there is no such exert in Florida that could handle an issue.

Regardless, in any instance where Baez tries to deviate from the JAC guidelines for pay, he will have to seek court permission and the JAC attorneys will appear and object. The net result being much more transperancy regarding who is being paid and for what.

In any event, the most interesting thing will be to see whether Baez lists what he was paid for all of Casey's case. Reason being is the JAC rules require you to list all fees being paid for all of client's current cases. It does not require you to list what you were paid for past cases.

Thus I have a sneaking suspicion that Baez will noy divulge what Casey "paid" him for the Check Fraud case, because he technically no longer represents her on the case.

Bottom line though for you all will be nothing but frustration. Because while this motion will raise a million questions about what Casey was paid or how shady Baez is, the bottom line is that Casey Anthony will be declared indigent - no matter how nasty that tastes.

p.s. Baez himself will receive no money from the state. Rather he has to submit invoices to JAC and they pay the vendors directly.

BBM
And I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that he will attribute most of his fees billed thus far to her representation in the check fraud case. He'll argue that he tried to delay it until AFTER the murder trial. Now he can argue just how damaging that case could have been to her murder case. Andrea Lyon agreed to step in to assist citing the impact on the murder trial.

Little trivia for you Floridians about your neighboring state Georgia.

Yes, that was a very convoluted way of saying that the GA Supreme Court heard oral argument in the case of Jamie Ryan Weis, who’s sat in pre-trial confinement for 4 years awaiting a death penalty trial. For the first two years of his confinement, he didn’t even have counsel. The reason? GA has no money. Not for him and not for the 70 or so other capital defendants.

Not only “Georgia court rules”, but ABA standards as well require two lawyers on each capital case. Anything but is sure to result in a reversal. So why doesn’t Georgia have any money to pay for an adequate defense? I’m glad you asked:

The lawyers, Bob Citronberg and Tom West, asked for funds from the Georgia Public Defender Standards Council at a time when the case against courthouse killer Brian Nichols was almost single handedly bankrupting the state defender system. The state wound up paying $2.3 million of Nichols’ total $3.2 million defense tab.

That’s why. One of the most publicized death penalty cases in recent history, which ended without a death sentence.

http://apublicdefender.com/2009/11/15/title-bout-in-ga-death-penalty-vs-no-money/

Which all leads me to wonder if this latest request is not a last ditch effort on the part of Andrea Lyon to try to get the DP off the table.

We have all debated on the possibility of a plea agreement, but quite a few have pointed out that the state would have to offer one first.

So, Ladies and Gentlemen, is this AL's strategic move to SA to force them to offer up a plea of LWOP to avoid bankrupting the State of Florida public defender program? If THAT were to happen, AL could claim a victory in getting DP removed. (Psst...I don't think the mitigating thing is working out for them....)

Is SA willing to gamble over $2 million of taxpayer money without a guarantee of a guilty verdict......or will they play it safe and offer a plea deal?

Next move.....the State of Florida

I believe that both LDB and Ashton have sets of big brass ones, and the ability to back up their conclusions regarding Casey's guilt in this matter.

I believe that this has become personal for many of the SA and LE people involved in this case, and they have put forth super-human efforts. They want justice, too.

I believe Baez and his ego will not allow him to wave a white flag of any sort, however appropriate it may be that he does so at any given point. Relinquishing any modicum of control would be a personal embarrassment.

Barring the possibility that a higher-up/manager/DA would over-rule LDB and Ashton, I believe it's game on, damn the cost.

I trust Stan Strickland to monitor the costs billed by the defense, while allowing them reasonable financial support in their "investigation."

I have a reservation for a front-row seat on the 50-yard line. I hope the beer is cold and the nachos are hot.

I was also wrong once, in 1986. I may be having a relapse.

:cow:

Respectfully snipped and bolded by me...

RH, are you suggesting that we may never get solid answers to those "million questions about what Casey was paid or how shady Baez is" that were raised by this motion?

(And btw, so glad to see you back on WS!)

How can this even be possible?
I was always under the impression that if you were indigent, you got a public defender and the only way you could get a court appointed attorney is if there's a conflict.. like 2 co-defendants can't have a PD from the same office?

bill who?
His client.

Not sticking up for JB but I have worked in a law office and someone has to pay the bills and it is usually the client. KC is a client and has been his client since July 08 so it has been almost two years. Plus when JB was on GR's program and boat, or flying to NYC for Good Morning America he was not working for other clients. It seems like a lot but when you are trying to prove the impossible it takes money. They have no one else to blame so they have to invent a person of interest. Look at the money that may have been spent to find, track down and take statements from RK's former wives. What a waste of money because even JB admitted he did not think JK's statement would be considered? So, clearly KC has no rabbit and right now she has no hat. $90,000 for a case that will last 3 years....in reality it is not that much I would think for an attorney whether we think he is doing a good job or a bad one. Does anyone know how much he would have to pay per page for the documents he has received so far??? 13,000 copies??? JMO
I think the going rate is one dollar per page, but he has received much of the info on CD and I am NOT sure of that cost...Muzikman?:waitasec:

So thank to Mr. Hornsby, we know the following:

Casey WILL be declared indigent-period.
The expenses/costs incurred for her defense WILL be paid, but they WILL also be monitored and expected to remain within certain guidelines.
Out of state, high priced experts will NOT be approved unless there is NO expert IN state regarding their issue, which is unlikely.

Thanks Mr. Hornsby...

Also, that the entire defense case COSTS would be in reality approximately one hundred thousand dollars...

****JUST A DREAM****

SETTING: Courtroom after KC has been declared indigent.

JSS: We will appoint Public Defenders for Miss Anthony.
JB: Your Honor we will still be defending Miss Anthony.
JSS: Mr Baez, Mrs Lyon et al you may be excused.
JB: But, but, but errr huhhh errr...
JSS: Miss Anthony you will be escorted back to jail now. Your Public Defenders will meet you shortly. (while jb and al are having cows ).
CA: Lyon make him stop! ( booooohooooo ).
AL: I can't. You do see that I'm busy trying to get Baez up on his feet. He is having a flipping tantrum on the floor you stupid @*%$&.
CA: I don't care...This is about me. ME, ME, ME. ( as kc is being dragged ).

SETTING: KC is removed from courtroom.

JSS: Bailiff please remove Former Defense Council from this courtroom.

SETTING: Me in my livingroom with my eyes blurred with tears of laughter watching this part of the circus ending.

****JUST A DREAM****

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members