WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first read that, I took it to mean she was at the door, peering inside. What time does the market close, btw? Is it possible they close at 10 and the doors were locked 5 minutes early?

Yes, I too had picture her peering into the glass door. Yes, they may have closed up early. Wonder if it could be found, what their hours were, was that a Saturday night? the 13th?

I just called them lol. They close at 9pm on Saturdays.

"Mealy said surveillence video also recorded Smiley and her son on the northwest side of Olympia peering into the windows of the Gull Harbor Market at 9:55 p.m., which was closed. "

Mealy said surveillence video also recorded Smiley and her son on the northwest side of Olympia peering into the windows of the Gull Harbor Market at 9:55 p.m., which was closed. "
http://abcnews.go.com/US/shantina-smileys-disappearance-stumps-cops/story?id=10116896&page=2

Yes, she must have been leaning over as she drove, perhaps squinting toward the store on the video clip, for him to say that.

I don't think as she drove. The article you posted at the top of this page says Mealy said she stopped the car. So stopped, leaned over, peered in the windows. Your second article in that post, as well as the article in my post following yours, and other articles I didn't link in since we already had them saying the same thing, state specifically that they didn't get out of the van. I'll be happy to link those other articles too if anyone wants them. Just holler.

My next question would be if she noticed a car in the lot, lights on in the store (maybe a manager doing late paperwork for the week or something like that?). Doesn't make sense she'd "peer" into an empty, obviously closed store unless she saw someone or thought someone might be inside.

My next question would be if she noticed a car in the lot, lights on in the store (maybe a manager doing late paperwork for the week or something like that?). Doesn't make sense she'd "peer" into an empty, obviously closed store unless she saw someone or thought someone might be inside.
Yes, good thought---sometimes if someone is closing up, doing the count, they have a light on, it may have made her wonder if it were in fact still open.....

Or was actually peering at the phone, or was peering in to see if maybe someone was in there, particularly if they leave some little light on at night after they close.

When all is said and done, though, why did she not simply get on the interstate, and either proceed to stepfamily's at Castlerock, or give up and go back home to Silverdale? Did they ever say if her van was found very low on gas?

Yes, good thought---sometimes if someone is closing up, doing the count, they have a light on, it may have made her wonder if it were in fact still open.....

I knew a woman who once owned a convenience store type place, actually more of a little neighborhood grocery I guess. She was frequently there after hours preparing orders and going over the books and receipts, etc. Alone, I might add, which often worried me :(

There could have been someone there doing paperwork, wrapping up the business for the week, or whatever. It was only a month before tax day, too; maybe working on something connected to that.

When all is said and done, though, why did she not simply get on the interstate, and either proceed to stepfamily's at Castlerock, or give up and go back home to Silverdale? Did they ever say if her van was found very low on gas?

Good question. After driving an hour or so from Silverdale, then driving for four hours around Olympia, how much gas could she have had left in the van? I don't recall any reports that the videos that surfaced showed her getting gas anywhere?

Good question. After driving an hour or so from Silverdale, then driving for four hours around Olympia, how much gas could she have had left in the van? I don't recall any reports that the videos that surfaced showed her getting gas anywhere?
Right, could it be that she had wasted all of her gas. (she told family it was over a 2 hour trip, plus lost for 4) and could not find an open station in that area?

Mealy said surveillance video also recorded Smiley and her son on the northwest side of Olympia peering into the windows of the Gull Harbor Market at 9:55 p.m., which was closed.

Smiley and her son keep driving, but away from the freeway. At 10 p.m. Smiley knocked on the door of a private residence where an elderly couple invited her and her son in and allowed Smiley to use the phone.

"The elderly couple gives the kid a piece of pizza, and Smiley calls her grandfather and says that these people are going to give her directions and that she got lost, but will be on her way," said Mealy.

The directions the couple gave Smiley to get back to the freeway are "not at all complicated," according to Mealy, who said the freeway is very well lit and would have been hard to miss.

Instead of taking the couple's directions, Mealy goes the opposite direction, again being recorded on the surveillance camera of the closed market.

What doesn't make sense above is where Mealy says "Smiley and her son kept driving, but away from the freeway" - this was after the first stop at the GHM. If she kept driving "away" from the freeway, she would not have ended up at the Williams house. To get to the Williams house after she left the GHM, she would be heading toward the freeway.

Right, could it be that she had wasted all of her gas. (she told family it was over a 2 hour trip, plus lost for 4) and could not find an open station in that area?

How many of the places where she is known to have stopped have pumps? Seems I remember someone saying earlier on that the Safeway did...

How many of the places where she is known to have stopped have pumps? Seems I remember someone saying earlier on that the Safeway did...

I just watched surveillance today of her being at a place with gas pumps. Let me see if I can find it again.

It looks like the GHM is a gas station (Shell Gas, according to what I can see at Google Maps - street view), so maybe she was needing to fill up at that time, besides needing directions?

I don't recall seeing any reports that indicate she bought gas in the Olympia area. So assuming she filled the car at the start of the trip (which would explain why LE said she left town at 5pm), she had to have been running low by the time she ended up on the beach. It was a cold, damp night. With little gas in the van, she couldn't have run the heat for long. Maybe it ran out, and she decided to gather their stuff and walk for help, heading in the direction of where the items were found later that same day. That doesn't tell us how or why she ended up on that beach in the first place, but it may explain why they left the van.

I found a couple. Don't think these are the same place. Note the time on the 2nd one. 21:55 -- that would be 9:55 and I don't think that is right. Did anyone else notice this?

Thanks. That's the one where she ran up on the curb a bit, isn't it? (my computer won't play this for some reason)

I don't recall seeing any reports that indicate she bought gas in the Olympia area. So assuming she filled the car at the start of the trip (which would explain why LE said she left town at 5pm), she had to have been running low by the time she ended up on the beach. It was a cold, damp night. With little gas in the van, she couldn't have run the heat for long. Maybe it ran out, and she decided to gather their stuff and walk for help, heading in the direction of where the items were found later that same day. That doesn't tell us how or why she ended up on that beach in the first place, but it may explain why they left the van.

I don't know how many gallons of gas her tank would hold or how many miles per gallon she gets in that van - although I'm sure we could find out an approximate # - but let's just say she has a 15 gallon tank and gets 20 mpg - she would be able to go 300 miles. Silverdale to Oly is about 65 miles. She did a lot of other driving around, but do you think that much? But then again, who knows if she filled it up before she left or filled it up half way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper