Legal Questions for Our VERIFIED Lawyers #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if the SA can now renew it's motion for a gag order.

I am wondering if the defense will now attempt to ask for re-consideration of all their prior denied motions based on the belief that the rulings were biased? Will JS's rulings stand or will Judge Perry make new ones? My head is so spinning with this case!

I have a question about the defense not having to reveal penalty phase witnesses and testimony ...

If this involves Cindy, George and Lee and KC's upbringing, could it be that the defense is also trying to prevent the letters at trial as evidence? The letters that describe molestation and jealousy and anger towards them? Also, testimony as to how KC changed when she found her new group of friends ?

Also, previous motions trying to prevent witnesses from testifying to prior bad acts or hearsay, could these types of things also be what the defense is trying to prevent at trial? In other words character type testimony?

Just one more ... If the Anthonys will be called during the penalty phase, does this also restrict answering statements during trial that may be questions that will also be answered during the penalty phase ?

This has been bugging me for a while ... is there any legal way to stop the defense from notifying the media and sending them copies of motions BEFORE they are even filed with the clerk?
I think it's rich that Jose keeps complaining about leaks (Sunshine Law Discovery Filings) when someone from his office obviously leaks (for real) their motions in full to the press! And so much for wanting to keep their defense strategy a secret ? I guess only that only applies to what they want it to apply to?

I apologize if this has already been addressed.

I am wondering if the defense will now attempt to ask for re-consideration of all their prior denied motions based on the belief that the rulings were biased? Will JS's rulings stand or will Judge Perry make new ones? My head is so spinning with this case!

I would like to know also ... would the defense be able to just go back to Oct '09 or could they go back to any unfavorable decisions Judge Strickland made?

This has been bugging me for a while ... is there any legal way to stop the defense from notifying the media and sending them copies of motions BEFORE they are even filed with the clerk?
I think it's rich that Jose keeps complaining about leaks (Sunshine Law Discovery Filings) when someone from his office obviously leaks (for real) their motions in full to the press! And so much for wanting to keep their defense strategy a secret ? I guess only that only applies to what they want it to apply to?

good question

I'm wondering if the SA can now renew it's motion for a gag order.

I would like to know also ... would the defense be able to just go back to Oct '09 or could they go back to any unfavorable decisions Judge Strickland made?

I may have missed your (or someone else's) quick summary on the resubmission of denied motions.

If CM tweaks them and resubmits, will this new Judge "deeply" consider these motions? In other words, will JS's ruling generally stand?

Thanks in advance

My reading of the "reconsideration" rule is that only the party that alleged boas (here, the defense) is entitled to reconsideration of prior rulings. I believe the defense could ask to reconsider things all the way back to the start of the case, because their theory was that JS was ALWAYS biased, and that his biased was REVEALED through his communications with MD--not that the communications with MD CAUSED his bias. Of course, the State could ask for reconsideration of something too, but unless there's been a change in the facts, I don't think they'll get it.

I don't know anything about Judge Perry (maybe RH does) but I personally wouldn't expect JP to "deeply" reconsider any previous motions, even if they are "tweaked." The decisions made to date have been pretty good ones IMO.

Not sure if this is a legal question, but didn't see the regular question thread.

I read that Judge Perry is not a proponent of cameras in the courtroom. Can someone please reassure me that we will still get to see this trial on live feed?

Nope. ;) But, again, I'd be interested in RH's take on JP.

I read on another thread that judge Perry was on the grand jury for CA. Would that be grounds to dismiss him from this case? I thought grand jury was private info.

Well, he wasn't "on" the grand jury; he was presiding over the grand jury proceedings. The g.j. proceedings are confidential, but not confidential from the judge. :)

Since the defense team cannot honestly have thought the JS was biased, what was their actual strategy here? Were they hoping this would cause a delay? Or open an avenue for appeal later on? Would seem to me that the devil you know is better than the one you don't, so I just don't get this at all.

This is a tough one--my personal guess is that they hoped the motion would be denied (i.e., JS would stay on as judge) and then they would have a great appeal issue. And they figured if the motion was granted, they could go to the media and crow about winning a big, important motion and try to make it look like JS was corrupt.

But JS took the wind right out of those sails. :woohoo:

Inmate Anthony is charged with:

FIRST DEGREE MURDER
AGGRAVATED CHILD ABUSE
AGGRAVATED MANSLAUGHTER OF A CHILD
FALSE INFO TO LEO RE MISSING PERSON OR FELONY

My question:

If Inmate Anthony decides to plead guilty but to aggravated manslaughter of a child, will this be accepted by the State/Judge?

Is this something they can plead guilty to and would it remove her from a DP sentence??

TIA!

I can't say what the State or the Judge would or would not accept as a plea deal. If I were the SA, though, I would be very interested if her defense team suggested such a plea.

I have a question about the defense not having to reveal penalty phase witnesses and testimony ...

If this involves Cindy, George and Lee and KC's upbringing, could it be that the defense is also trying to prevent the letters at trial as evidence? The letters that describe molestation and jealousy and anger towards them? Also, testimony as to how KC changed when she found her new group of friends ?

Also, previous motions trying to prevent witnesses from testifying to prior bad acts or hearsay, could these types of things also be what the defense is trying to prevent at trial? In other words character type testimony?

Just one more ... If the Anthonys will be called during the penalty phase, does this also restrict answering statements during trial that may be questions that will also be answered during the penalty phase ?

Nothing will be excluded at trial merely on the grounds that it will also be evidence in the penalty phase. If the defense wants to prevent the letters from being evidence at trial (and I'm not sure they do), they will file a motion requesting exactly that.

I'm not sure I understand your question about the previous motions regarding bad acts or hearsay. Those motions specify exactly what evidence the defense wants to get excluded. They are not trying to use those motions to secretly attempt to exclude some other evidence; if they want something excluded, they will say so.

There's nothing wrong with the defense giving motions to the media before they're filed, although I'm sure the Bar would frown upon the practice if it turned out that what they were giving the media differed materially from what they actually ended up filing. (By "materially," I mean that no one cares if the document given to the media is not fully signed, etc.) I don't consider it a "leak" to provide an advance copy of something that would be public record within a few hours anyway.

In regards to this motion Defendant's Motion for Protective Order re Penalty Phase:

http://www.cfnews13.com/uploadedFil...r with Respect to Penalty Phase Discovery.pdf

Isn't it too early to file this motion? Or is the defense just trying to buy time before having to disclose their witnesses?

I can't believe they put this in their motion:

page 10 - Due to the exposure of this case, the risk of prejudice to Miss Anthony from disclosure of mitigation witnesses is high. Any witness listed to testify on Miss Anthony's behalf will likely become the focus of intense public scrutiny. Two potential witnesses have already attempted suicide after becoming involved in this case.

Since Judge Belvin Perry is in effect the Manager of the District's funds- can he force KC to be represented by a Public Defender or does the court just have to pay what Baez et al charge?

I would be interested in hearing lawyers' opinions on the death penalty motions.

I would like to know this- if some young guy is arrested tonight and charged with Murder, has no money but does not want a Public Defender representing him, can he hire Baez et al and have the State pay their bill? KC was actually indigent when she hired him- she had no job and no assets. Why is she being given preferential treatment?

I would like to know this- if some young guy is arrested tonight and charged with Murder, has no money but does not want a Public Defender representing him, can he hire Baez et al and have the State pay their bill? KC was actually indigent when she hired him- she had no job and no assets. Why is she being given preferential treatment?

I don't think she gets his fees paid by the State--I think it's just costs (experts, court reporter fees, etc .)

I would be interested in hearing lawyers' opinions on the death penalty motions.

They are being filed to preserve issues for appeal, not in the expectation that they will actually be granted.

In a DP case, you file absolutely everything and just hope yours is the 1 case in which a higher court suddenly says, "You know what? This DP statute really IS unconstitutional." A long shot, but if you didn't raise it with the trial judge, you don't get to bring it up on appeal.

Is there any reason the prosecution would remove the Death Penalty from the table at this time (barring Casey not being the killer?)

In regards to this motion Defendant's Motion for Protective Order re Penalty Phase:

http://www.cfnews13.com/uploadedFil...r with Respect to Penalty Phase Discovery.pdf

Isn't it too early to file this motion? Or is the defense just trying to buy time before having to disclose their witnesses?

I can't believe they put this in their motion:

page 10 - Due to the exposure of this case, the risk of prejudice to Miss Anthony from disclosure of mitigation witnesses is high. Any witness listed to testify on Miss Anthony's behalf will likely become the focus of intense public scrutiny. Two potential witnesses have already attempted suicide after becoming involved in this case.

I'm still waiting for a non-broken link on that one lol. :)

I don't know what the deadline is for them to disclose witnesses, so I don't know if this motion is being filed particularly early. But AL's students might not be there after May to help out, so they need to get things done before then! ;)

Is there any reason the prosecution would remove the Death Penalty from the table at this time (barring Casey not being the killer?)

If Casey isn't the killer, I suppose they'd drop the whole murder charge, not just the death penalty. ;)

You never know what could change, especially in this case. I don't think they would drop the DP without something changing, though.

Does anyone know if Judge Perry allows cameras in his courtroom during hearings and/or trials?
Will he continue to require KC to attend hearings?

I'm still waiting for a non-broken link on that one lol. :)

I don't know what the deadline is for them to disclose witnesses, so I don't know if this motion is being filed particularly early. But AL's students might not be there after May to help out, so they need to get things done before then! ;)

AZLawyer - I can't find a working link, so I attached the file. Thanks for your help :angel:.

Attachments

• Defendant's Motion for Protective Order with Respect to Penalty Phase Discovery.pdf
    295.9 KB · Views: 55
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member