TX TX - Houston, Peach St, BlkFem 20-35, 475UFTX, 4-Inch Afro, space b/w top front incisors, Aug'81

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Anymore on this? Im curious....

Nothing since the message Melanie sent me 8 days ago. Melanie seems to be pretty good about keeping me updated if there are any developments.

But I'll give them a month or so, and call them again. I have a list of all my submissions (I currently have 11 that are unresolved), and I try to call for updates from time to time.

I called back Linda Mason of the Iowa Missing Persons Clearinghouse to see if anything had been done regarding this case.

She said that she contacted the Cedar Rapids PD, and they don't have dentals, and they don't have a family contact.

I asked if this means that they are at a dead-end, and she said yes. I asked if there was anything that I could do to get this process moving again. I commented that since this involves a person with the name Wilson, it would be like a needle in a haystack trying to trace down family members. She said that she knew of nothing that I could do on my side.

It appears to me like they have no intention or interest in pursuing this any further.

I will send an e-mail directly to the Cedar Rapids PD, but I suspect that all I will get is a yawn.

Maybe I should cc: the local press with my letter to LE.

The information on Wilson refers several times to her boyfriend. Also, she was divorced 3 years before, so court records should reflect her ex-husband's name. Either the boyfriend or ex-husband should be able to help locate family members.

I sent this message to the Cedar Rapids PD, and copied the Mayor of Cedar Rapids and the KCRG newsroom.

On April 12, 1981, Naomi Wilson, a 32 year-old African-American woman from Cedar Rapids, Iowa was reported missing (See Details in link below)

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/wilson_naomi.html

Less than four months later, on August 7, 1981, an unidentified female African American homicide victim was found in Houston TX. Her physical appearance very strongly resembles Ms. Wilson, and her physical descriptors (i.e., approx age, height, weight, eye color, etc.) were all reasonably close to those of Ms. Wilson (See Details Below).

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/mpch/UnidentifiedDetails.asp?id=U0408003

Nearly 29 years later, Ms Wilson remains missing, and the decedent remains unidentified.

On February 8, 2010, I contacted Melanie Schramm of the Texas Department of Public Safety to ask that she look into this possible match. Ms. Schramm contacted Linda Mason of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation - Missing Person Information Clearinghouse / ICAC. On Feb 24, Ms. Mason replied back to Ms. Schramm that after checking Ms. Wilson’s case file, she was unable to locate any identifiers (i.e., Dentals, Fingerprints, or DNA Profile) for Ms. Wilson. Ms. Schramm replied back, asking if it was possible to contact Ms. Wilson’s family for DNA reference samples. She received no reply.

On March 15, I contacted Ms. Schramm for an update, and she suggested that I contact Ms. Mason directly. I contacted Ms. Mason, and learned that she had contacted the Cedar Rapids Police department and they had told her that they have no contact information for any of Ms. Wilson’s family members, but that she will send a follow-up request.

Today, I made a follow-up call to Ms. Mason. She informed me that Cedar Rapids PD was unable to make contact with Ms. Wilson’s family. I asked if she intended to pursue the matter any further, and she replied that there was nothing else that she could do.
Meanwhile, Ms. Wilson’s family and that of the decedent (if they are not one-in-the-same) have gone nearly 29 years wondering what happened to a loved one.

It seems to me that there must be other avenues that can be pursued to resolve this very compelling possible match between Missing Persons and Unidentified Decedent cases. I am sending this message to you, asking that you not let this matter go unresolved .

Thank you for your consideration

I have been checking back periodically but have been so busy lately working 50 plus hours a week plus classes so I really appreciate you staying with this Carl. You might want to try also sending it to KGAN (another local tv station) and the Cedar Rapids Gazette. I have noticed occasional stories about cold cases in the local media so I think you have a really good chance of getting coverage of this. Thanks for your hard work Carl, I really hope we can get this resolved and maybe provide some closure for the family.

There is a remarkable resemblance but I was under the impression that Alcala had been incarcerated in 1980 and that he hasn't been out since? I may be wrong but the timeline on the Unidentified thread for him indicates this to be the case.

I found some new information that may help us. http://iowacoldcases.org/blog/page/2/ has more information including the name of the boyfriend. Not sure where they got this information but it seems to suggest that someone is still actively looking for her.

Thanks, ruefulQ for the link.

I sent an e-mail to Nancy Bowers (the author of that blog) to see if she might have any info from doing that article that would lead to Naomi's biological family.

ETA: I also located someone on Facebook who might have a connection to Colbert "Billy" Beets. I sent this person a PM requsting any info on how to contact Naomi's biological family.

Found the boyfriend she was dating back then on People Search, looks like he still might live in Cedar Rapids, Colbert Beets is a very different name, it says his age 70. It's the only Colbert Beets that came up across the US. Maybe he's listed in the phone book and knows where a relative of hers is? Surely the PD's could as him, if he's still around.

Found the boyfriend she was dating back then on People Search, looks like he still might live in Cedar Rapids, Colbert Beets is a very different name, it says his age 70. It's the only Colbert Beets that came up across the US. Maybe he's listed in the phone book and knows where a relative of hers is? Surely the PD's could as him, if he's still around.

I did find a telephone number for Colbert Beets, but I think that the Facebook PM approach is a preferable first approach. It is less invasive if they don't wish to be involved.

I didn't mean for you to call him, Carl, I don't understand why the PD can't call him? If we can find the guy, then so can they, unless of course he's since deceased.

I just received a reply from Nancy Bowers:

Carl, Thanks for being in touch about Naomi Pollard Wilson. You are doing very important work and I applaud your efforts with the Cedar Rapids Police on Naomi's behalf.

Yes, the victim and Naomi are remarkably similar. It's startling! And the vital stats are right on target.

Here's what I know:

Naomi Pollard was born August 20, 1948 in Birmingham, Alabama. I do not know her parents' names.

She had four brothers. John Pollard and Lorenzo Pollard came to CR at the time of her disappearance--they were living in Atlanta at the time. The other two brothers--whose names I do not have--were dead when Naomi disappeared, one died in 1958 and the other in 1972.

Naomi married Bennie Wilson and there were no children. After their divorce, Bennie Wilson remarried and moved to California, where he was when she disappeared.

Naomi's boyfriend--and the last person to see her--was Colbert "Billy" Beets and he is still listed in the Cedar Rapids phone book. He might know more details about her family [REDACTED by CarlK90245]. His information is:
[REDACTED by CarlK90245]

I'm still trying to build a family tree for Naomi (as I do with all the victims I write about), using Ancestry.com and Family Tree Maker. So far, it's been minimally successful because of the lack of information on her parents, brothers, etc.

I'll keep trying. Hope this will help.

Thanks and all best,

Nancy Bowers, Co-Administrator
iowacoldcases.org

ETA: I located a Lorenzo Pollard in an Ancestry.com genealogy forum associated with the name Pollard. An e-mail address was included with his message, so I sent an e-mail message to that address. It was returned undeliverable.

Something else I was thinking was that perhaps the minister of the Church she attended may know of her family or friends. Sounds like she attended every Sunday. It does not mention the Church's name in the Charley Project, but it does say that Beets regularly attended also. Again, since Mr. Beets was the last one to see Naomi alive, you'd think the CRPD would have this info.

Again, since Mr. Beets was the last one to see Naomi alive, you'd think the CRPD would have this info.

I just get the impression that the CRPD is not that interested, or have "better" things to do with their time. If they really wanted to locate one of her brothers, I am sure that they could.

Yes, you probably already checked but People Search, does bring up a Lorenzo Pollard with add/phone available. And he lived in both Birmingham Alabama and Atlanta GA so it's probably him. So if the info is out there, then they could contact him. Maybe send that info to the Houston LE?

Yes, you probably already checked but People Search, does bring up a Lorenzo Pollard with add/phone available. And he lived in both Birmingham Alabama and Atlanta GA so it's probably him. So if the info is out there, then they could contact him. Maybe send that info to the Houston LE?

Good Idea, Billylee.

I think that the Texas DPS is much more on the ball than the Iowa MPIC is.

And no, I had not seen that yet. It is probably him.

He also has a relative named John (although so do a lot of people, including myself).

ETA: I plopped the 2 bucks to get his address and phone number, and then contacted Melanie Schramm and provided her with the info. She said that she will forward it to Birmingham Alabama LE and maybe they can contact him.

ETA2: I tried calling the phone number provided by People Search. It "cannot be completed as dialed". Hopefully, the address is good, or I just wasted 2 bucks!

It's been so many years, darn it. I couldn't find the brother, John, so maybe they're all passed away, who knows? I still think the church might be another route, but other than contacting the CRPD, I'd have no idea how to figure out which church it was they attended. Where did the author of that article find all her information, about he brothers, and where she'd worked, etc.?

It's been so many years, darn it. I couldn't find the brother, John, so maybe they're all passed away, who knows? I still think the church might be another route, but other than contacting the CRPD, I'd have no idea how to figure out which church it was they attended. Where did the author of that article find all her information, about he brothers, and where she'd worked, etc.?

It looks like she has been fairly active in researching Naomi's case as well. She is trying to set up a genealogy tree for Naomi's family in Ancestry.com

It's been so many years, darn it. I couldn't find the brother, John, so maybe they're all passed away, who knows?

I just spent another 2 bucks and got two Birmingham addresses, two phone numbers, and a Washington DC address for John. Hopefully, one of them is good. WTH, I spend more than that for a bran muffin and an ice tea each morning.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tametn
Back