NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey what's up, I just got onto this sleuth thing. Anyway, I posted the FB info about the cleaning crews and such. The daughter I spoke with did not give any details about which cleaning crews or crew was there. I worried that she might have been exaggerating, but she seemed sincere and wanted to help. The reason she saw the activity at the house at night (not cleaning crews, they were during the day) is because she had some type of health issue where she couldn't fall alseep at night. She did not indicate if this activity continued after Steve's disappearance. One of my buddies hopped the fence of 2250 (left side) because we saw a big black plastic container. He looked in and found nothing except some random stuff and an electrical extension cord. However there were two shovels (and other stuff I can't remember) next to the container. This house was for rent at the time and I called the lady who was in charge of showing it (phone # on sign). She had heard nothing about Steven. This was in April. She said she would have to get permission from the owners to have anyone (police) search the place. After these bold moves I decided to just shut up and feel like I've done my part without messing up the investigation. Anyway I hope this helps.

Hey what's up, I just got onto this sleuth thing. Anyway, I posted the FB info about the cleaning crews and such. The daughter I spoke with did not give any details about which cleaning crews or crew was there. I worried that she might have been exaggerating, but she seemed sincere and wanted to help. The reason she saw the activity at the house at night (not cleaning crews, they were during the day) is because she had some type of health issue where she couldn't fall alseep at night. She did not indicate if this activity continued after Steve's disappearance. One of my buddies hopped the fence of 2250 (left side) because we saw a big black plastic container. He looked in and found nothing except some random stuff and an electrical extension cord. However there were two shovels (and other stuff I can't remember) next to the container. This house was for rent at the time and I called the lady who was in charge of showing it (phone # on sign). She had heard nothing about Steven. This was in April. She said she would have to get permission from the owners to have anyone (police) search the place. After these bold moves I decided to just shut up and feel like I've done my part without messing up the investigation. Anyway I hope this helps.

Thanks for that info and map, Ruby, Don't know who is saying that about coming and going late at night, cleaning, etc., but house at that address is clearly owned and being lived in by elderly couple in news for last three years, as recently as 11 days ago, in midst of lawsuit against VA for medical malpractice with trial in January next year. A very, very sad situation. My heart goes out to them.

rd

Welcome EDunham. We were talking about this house last night. Could the address be wrong, by any chance?

EDunham, wowza, welcome to Websleuths!

Can we get a clarification of the address of the house in question?

I'm getting really sick of hearing about people who live, or work, in SCA and haven't heard about Steven. I thought these houses were "canvassed" and "everyone" was checked out. What a joke! This isn't an area that is a block away or a mile away; this is on the very street where Steven disappeared. This is ground zero, there is no excuse.

Thank you for joining us EDunham and thanks for your efforts in SCA.

Why are there no pings on Steven's cell phone between 8:19 am and 9:02 pm on Saturday? Did he fall off the map for 12 hours that day?

I also have a hard time understanding why TH was calling Steven on Sunday. Shouldn't he have known that Steven is typically occupied with church and church duties that day? Whose boss calls them on Sunday?

Can someone tell me why Whitney Ranch was never searched? Or was the thinking that Steven never made it to Whitney Ranch but his phone did? Or was Whitney Ranch info too vague and no one ever went any further with this?

Also I'm going to throw out my limited knowledge on mapping phone pings learned from the Casey Anthony school of investigation. IIRC, you make a circle of a diameter that the towers covers. The areas that overlap are supposedly most likely ground zero. If this was already done or I'm way off base feel free to ignore my post. lol.

Guys - based on our research, I don't believe 2250 is the house in question. It's not a rental and the owners discussed earlier do still live there. Now, 2260 is another story....

Why are there no pings on Steven's cell phone between 8:19 am and 9:02 pm on Saturday? Did he fall off the map for 12 hours that day?

I also have a hard time understanding why TH was calling Steven on Sunday. Shouldn't he have known that Steven is typically occupied with church and church duties that day? Whose boss calls them on Sunday?

Sounds like TH had a reason to be concerned and frantic about not having contact with Steven. Why was he?

Maybe TH knowingly hooked Steven up with a job that wasn't on the up and up. And when he couldn't contact Steven he knew that wasn't a good sign.

Guys - based on our research, I don't believe 2250 is the house in question. It's not a rental and the owners discussed earlier do still live there. Now, 2260 is another story....

Two vehicles are visible on that property. That could suggest parking around that house tends to be limited, hence the need for Steven to park in the cul-de-sac.

Also, when I google my own address, the map says the picture is from 2008 (Not the date at the bottom, but the watermark date on the map itself). The map of Evening Lights says it's from 2010, suggesting it's recent or at least up to date. But that could be debatable.

Exactly!

Can someone tell me why Whitney Ranch was never searched? Or was the thinking that Steven never made it to Whitney Ranch but his phone did? Or was Whitney Ranch info too vague and no one ever went any further with this?

Also I'm going to throw out my limited knowledge on mapping phone pings learned from the Casey Anthony school of investigation. IIRC, you make a circle of a diameter that the towers covers. The areas that overlap are supposedly most likely ground zero. If this was already done or I'm way off base feel free to ignore my post. lol.

Here are the cell pings, on a map.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...6.62655,-114.422607&spn=1.362209,2.246704&z=9

He owns a quite a business...especially promo and pr work. That and the rest would require someone with media savvy. His business and his home is within the area of Whitney Ranch and the pings. His CFO's last name is Z. Plus he has his own plane at Henderson.
This could mean music or media business contacts out the ying yang for him.

Was just thinking this Z maybe related to JZ and within the spectrum of conversations they might have had. We know JZ had relatives in LV.....

I know I read somewhere that Steven worked as a "roadie". I think that's someone that helps set up musical equipment for a concert or show. Could this be the connection.

Steven answers an ad for help to set up some production in SCA, is taken to the Whitney area.

(please don't tell me it's someone that blacktops roads, I'll be so disappointed!)

thanks so much for the explanation, sw. That all makes sense now. Both LL and TH were trying to reach him multiple days starting Sunday so was not a memorable call on Sunday only to associate with SK disappearing that day.

I spent some time looking at ping map you and laytonian put together. Great work. With the caveat that I'm not super knowledgeable about how the cell phone / tower communications work, here are my thoughts on it.

My first thought is how close Steven was all morning Sunday to where he parked his car. Although we see different towers involved with the pings, they are in two groups; one general area where he parked his car and one general area up from there to the interstate at Whitney Ranch.

When cell towers overlap, they all recieve signals from the cell phone. I do not know all the logic involved in determining what tower will handle a call. I know timing of transmissions can be made and that this is used in one pseudo-GPS technique called triangulation, approximating location from time it takes to transmit a signal to multiple towers. But that isn't the point here.

Since the towers in the two areas are close to each other, it's not a given to me that he's moving, for example between the ower handling the first call taken before 8am and two hours later tower where second call taken. They are both within transmission distance of where he parked his car AFAIK. It is not a given to me that both calls would necessarily handled by same tower in an overlapping situation. If engineers say that is not the case, then strike this but my thought is that SK could have been where he was Sunday morning, indeed even late Saturday night after leaving his small apartment in St. George at 9:28pm. (Were the 9:02pm and 9:32pm calls identified?)

The same thing is true of the group of towers handling the 4:36pm and 7pm calls and then 7am next morning. Having said that, it's a bit of a hike but seems to be just about hiking speed to get from where his car was parked at noon to tower where ping is recorded at 4:36, then on northward to next tower where ping is recorded at 7pm, then up to interstate where ping is recorded at 7 in morning when voice mail is checked.

It looks for all the world like someone hiking out of Henderson and then maybe thumbing a ride on the interstate at a truck stop or something. Or done by someone to make it look that way.

I say hiking in the sense that it's a good walk, but Henderson is cited as one of the most walkable cities in the country according to Wikipedia. Of course that ends when you get to interstate and getting somewhere across the desert.

But although nicely headed north in terms of tower communications, they are relatively close together and could be handling calls at one location, a location that SK could still be at dead or alive to this day. Again, engineers may be able to tell us that communications among overlapping towers would not work that way, but if you have three towers able to hear the cell phone, I don't think they mediate to determine who is closest. I think one of them grabs it. And could be different ones different times. Hopefully a knowledgeable person will be able to clarify how that works (or I end up googling that question and get an answer which I haven't tried yet, just finished looking at map.)

I am most intrigued by SK being in general area of SCA all morning from early on. I have thought that where he was would be significant and wondered why no trace of him existed from 9:28pm previous evening. Driving around other nearby neighborhoods doing same thing he was doing when he walked away from his car at noon? Possible, I guess, if extremely puzzling and very difficult to see how no memorable encounter with anyone was made if out and about walking neighborhoods.

But as pointed out, he looks like he knew where he was going, where to park, and where he was heading, and while he may have scouted it out that morning, I would say he wasn't necessarily that far away all morning.

Also looking at ping map, it seems more probable to me what laytonian has suggested, that previous morning ping in Overton was also a trip to Vegas / Henderson, for same purpose. It would be a much shorter trip, maybe 9am to 3pm at most in Henderson, but could be where he made contact in person to come back next day at noon.

This is a classic dilemma, where strong arguments can be made that Steven hiked away from that car north to the interstate and sites unknown, or set up as a victim to disappear. Something may become known to tip the scale one way or the other, but right now it's a complete tossup.

rd

Excellent post rd.

I'm getting really sick of hearing about people who live, or work, in SCA and haven't heard about Steven. I thought these houses were "canvassed" and "everyone" was checked out. What a joke! This isn't an area that is a block away or a mile away; this is on the very street where Steven disappeared. This is ground zero, there is no excuse.

Thank you for joining us EDunham and thanks for your efforts in SCA.

The person referred to was showing the house in April. She is neither the owner nor the tenant so does anyone expect her to know what happened 4 or 5 months earlier?

Why are people suggesting Steven was in SCA to do something illegal either on his own or on behalf of his last known employer?

People who do illegal side jobs usually have plenty of cash - maybe not much money in the bank - but are usually not hurting for cash.

Steven by all accounts was as poor as a church mouse so if he was earning cash under the table, he was pretty bad at that too.

bbm

That is not good, especially if this isn't the correct home. Either way it is not appropriate. I just have to say if this were my home I would be ticked.

bbm

That is not good, especially if this isn't the correct home. Either way it is not appropriate. I just have to say if this were my home I would be ticked.

I could not agree more and that being the west, who knows what homeowners or neighbors might be armed.

I could never condone what was done, even if the intentions are all for the best.

The person referred to was showing the house in April. She is neither the owner nor the tenant so does anyone expect her to know what happened 4 or 5 months earlier?

Yes, that is exactly what I expect. Someone is MISSING. My point is that someones feet should be on the ground in that neighborhood, the PI or the Marshall or his daughter, spreading the word. For all we, or anyone else knows, Steven could have been killed in SCA. Whether you are living, working, or showing houses, it seems pretty relevant that someone fell off the planet on this street. As a renter, that would definitely be something of interest to me.

Yeah it has been 5 months; and if the residents of SCA can just go on with their lives, what does that say about us? Why should you or I care if they don't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr