CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - # 1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting blog post on June 1 (which was Bob’s 82nd birthday) from a man who lived across from Bob in Placentia for several years and was his friend. He last spoke to Bob on July 19, 2009. That was the day before he left California to move to Virginia. He gives interesting insight. He says he was never contacted by LE about Bob or his state of mind.

More at link: http://paulkestes.blogspot.com/2010/06/today-would-have-been-bob-harrods.html

Also, it appears from court records that in June, the 2 daughters were appointed trustees and conservators of the estate.
https://ocapps.occourts.org/ProbPubv2/Home.do

Interesting blog post on June 1 (which was Bob’s 82nd birthday) from a man who lived across from Bob in Placentia for several years and was his friend. He last spoke to Bob on July 19, 2009. That was the day before he left California to move to Virginia. He gives interesting insight. He says he was never contacted by LE about Bob or his state of mind.

More at link: http://paulkestes.blogspot.com/2010/06/today-would-have-been-bob-harrods.html

Also, it appears from court records that in June, the 2 daughters were appointed trustees and conservators of the estate.

"I was one of his closest friends and I was never contacted by the police about him or his state of mind. The only people who talked to me were a private investigator, a reporter from the L.A. Times, and an attorney for Fontelle.

Almost a year later no one knows what happened. Sometimes I think Fontelle and I are the only ones who still care. The police have been useless. To call them the Keystone Cops would be a step up for them. His three daughters are completely shut up about the whole thing. I contacted them about putting a facebook site together for him. They never returned my messages."

http://paulkestes.blogspot.com/

Snipped~

Thank you Cloudajo

I guess a missing elderly man does not matter much to some people. At least Bob has a few people that still care about him and want to find out what happened to him.

So sad......

Thank you for posting this. I had not seen it at all.
He does have a unique perspective as someone who knew Robert Harrod and also talked with him shortly before he went missing.

I would hope that the private investigator told LE about this person.
??
I will email the blogger's post to LE, just to be on the safe side.

I think of Robert Harrod often. Last year he was 81 yrs old and he was the same age as my dad when he passed. (dad was hale and hearty until the last six weeks)
I have been over every scenario I can think of.... and I still cannot
understand what could have happened to him.

I do believe that he is no longer with us. Otherwise, in some way, at some time, he would have been found.

What a wonderful idea, but the page is locked up tight... :-(

It was a good idea, but I'm not surprised the pages weren't updated. August was a busy month for posting on the other forum and filings on the probate cases. Priorities.

I sent an email to LA Times and OC Register reporters asking them to do a follow up story as Bob has been missing for almost 1 year. If anyone wants to do the same, it might help.

Thank you for posting this. I had not seen it at all.
He does have a unique perspective as someone who knew Robert Harrod and also talked with him shortly before he went missing.

I would hope that the private investigator told LE about this person.
??
I will email the blogger's post to LE, just to be on the safe side.

I think of Robert Harrod often. Last year he was 81 yrs old and he was the same age as my dad when he passed. (dad was hale and hearty until the last six weeks)
I have been over every scenario I can think of.... and I still cannot
understand what could have happened to him.

I do believe that he is no longer with us. Otherwise, in some way, at some time, he would have been found.

He doesn't seem to point fingers at anyone, I wonder if he has any suspicions.

I had to double check and make sure I was on the discussion forum. I am :)

Does anyone know who the last person to see Bob was? (I think I have an idea of who it might be, just want confirmation).

I looked at the general address of 500 Carnation Placentia CA and I don't see any route that Bob could have walked that would have taken him to an area that we wouldn't be able to find him. Not a direct route JMHO.

Roberts Charley Project page.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/harrod_robert.html

I have not read the entire thread.... did a search but didn't find anything.
Where there ever any official - organized searches for Bob?

Perplexing case.

There were no official searches for Bob.
There were no scent dogs used.
There were flyers handed out in the neighborhood.
I think neighbors were questioned, but nothing came of it.

I had to double check and make sure I was on the discussion forum. I am :)

Does anyone know who the last person to see Bob was? (I think I have an idea of who it might be, just want confirmation).

I looked at the general address of 500 Carnation Placentia CA and I don't see any route that Bob could have walked that would have taken him to an area that we wouldn't be able to find him. Not a direct route JMHO.

The last person to see Bob was his son in law.
Son in law had been at the home that day helped Bob do small repairs around the house prior to Fontelle's return from MO.
Son in law left to pick up some repair items.
When he returned, Bob was not there, only the housekeeper, waiting ont he front steps.

Bob's house is right in the middle of suburbia tract homes.
There is a small park a few blocks over, that kind of thing, but mostly houses.
At first, I though he could have had a stroke and lay somewhere unseen, but in all this time, he would have been found by now.
Also, family said his knees were bad and he did not walk too far from the house.

Dreamweaver thank you! I'm going back to read all of the 17 pages of this thread. :)

When I opened the thread I had no clue there were 17 of them. Sorry.

Was it determined who may have seen Bob prior to his SIL seeing him. With trying to do a quick read of the thread I wonder if perhaps Bob was overwhelmed as suggested and possibly called a cab or someone to pick him up?

I too will try and read the full thread.

I'm still on page 11. Why not the SonIL that was at the house?

I see the arguments about why the all three of the daughters might not have been involved. I do see and understand the argument against all three having been involved. Makes no sense all three would be implicated at the same time. Doesn't pass the sniff test---and LE would have been all over that yes?

The only theory ruled out so far is on AMW site.

So we know a stranger didn't bring foul play to Bob. Which one of the ones he knows did? Logically, the last person to have been with a victim.

Sorry to be such a Simpleton here.

When two people are in a house alone. One person leaves that house--(IIRC from reading in the first 11 pages there is a time descrepancy) goes to shop (could have been real shopping yes I know, or could it have been alibi time?).

Comes back to the house and the other person is gone....never to be seen again. That person is elderly and has bad knees---car still there---

Just a brief outline. Not an argument of any sorts.

Did the SonIL know how the trust worked? Did he know the intricate workings of the trust? More importantly did he need money? Did he ask and get turned down? Just curious. Means nothing if he did.

As for LE not naming him a POI or Suspect, it takes a lot of circumstantial evidence to convict a person. Much more than them being the last person with someone that has not been seen since. JMHO.

Was it determined who may have seen Bob prior to his SIL seeing him. With trying to do a quick read of the thread I wonder if perhaps Bob was overwhelmed as suggested and possibly called a cab or someone to pick him up?

I too will try and read the full thread.

Hiya Cubby. IIRC one of Bob's neighbors saw him in the morning the day he went missing. No one after that - other than SIL.

This is a very odd case in that LE has been so quiet and seemingly inactive - almost from the beginning. Kind of leads me to believe they have something in mind, but I can't figure out what's taking them so long to act on it.

There are so many odd aspects to this case that you don't normally see. Family dynamics are complicated. There are definitely supporters of Bob's family and supporters of Bob's wife. And never the two sides shall meet!

Besides the SIL the last people to see Mr. Harrod were his three daughters who went over to the house the night before.

They got in an arguement with their father.

There was a call to the house the morning Mr. Harrod went missing. This is the last time Mr. Harrod is confirmed to be alive.

Hiya Cubby. IIRC one of Bob's neighbors saw him in the morning the day he went missing. No one after that - other than SIL.

This is a very odd case in that LE has been so quiet and seemingly inactive - almost from the beginning. Kind of leads me to believe they have something in mind, but I can't figure out what's taking them so long to act on it.

There are so many odd aspects to this case that you don't normally see. Family dynamics are complicated. There are definitely supporters of Bob's family and supporters of Bob's wife. And never the two sides shall meet!

If what was posted earlier that his and his first wifes assets were in trust and not 'touchable' by any future spouses of either I don't know how the new bride could be involved.

JMO- I still have not read the full thread. Perhaps this was answered but skimming through I couldn't find it. What was Bob's routine? Most seniors in my area have semi predictible daily routines. The community was in an area his neighbors lived close by. What occured after the evening disagreement and between the time SIL went to the store? Did any neighbors see Bob that morning?

Right now I am on the fence Bob sent SIL off on an errand and walked away making plans to do so.... or the trip to the store was part of an alibi plan.

Hmmm...... just thinking outloud.

If what was posted earlier that his and his first wifes assets were in trust and not 'touchable' by any future spouses of either I don't know how the new bride could be involved.

JMO- I still have not read the full thread. Perhaps this was answered but skimming through I couldn't find it. What was Bob's routine? Most seniors in my area have semi predictible daily routines. The community was in an area his neighbors lived close by. What occured after the evening disagreement and between the time SIL went to the store? Did any neighbors see Bob that morning?

Right now I am on the fence Bob sent SIL off on an errand and walked away making plans to do so.... or the trip to the store was part of an alibi plan.

Hmmm...... just thinking outloud.

Technically, you're right. However, Fontelle moved into Bob's home and remains there today. So, she has gained a free home in sunny California.

I understand why the daughters and SIL are suspected by some. They have made some rather negative comments about their father since he went missing and they were forthcoming about their relationship with him since their mother passed away being less than perfect. Doesn't mean they murdered him. If you think about it, his being missing isn't doing them any good, financially speaking.

Then there is the barber lady who was getting money from Bob prior to his going missing. Significant sums of money, it seems. LE says she has been cleared. And honestly, she doesn't appear to have had anything to gain from Bob's death, unless she believed he had left her something in his will. I don't believe we know whether he did or not.

Bob had a lot of money. For some reason, he felt comfortable giving plenty of it away to his much younger, married barber friend. But he refused to give his daughters copies of their mother's will.

Money makes people do terrible things. More than one player in this story
had a reason for wanting Bob dead. Hopefully, LE is figuring out which acted on that desire.

Of these three possibilities, only one party has actually benefitted from Bob going missing. That is the fact I cannot overlook.

I have no problem saying that IMO the SIL is the one that is responsible for Mr. Harrods disappearence.

The three daughters charged over to their father's house the night before to discuss finances. It got "heated." The next day Mr. Harrod disappears.

The family does not search for him, instead the three daughters begin to post disrespectful things about their father on a forum. They trash their father, the barber woman and finally Fontelle.

The information about the barber woman comes from those three women. I don't put much stock in what they have to say. I believe much of what they posted is misinformation.

I wonder if the daughters and SIL were ever polygraphed.

I have no problem saying that IMO the SIL is the one that is responsible for Mr. Harrods disappearence.

The three daughters charged over to their father's house the night before to discuss finances. It got "heated." The next day Mr. Harrod disappears.

The family does not search for him, instead the three daughters begin to post disrespectful things about their father on a forum. They trash their father, the barber woman and finally Fontelle.

The information about the barber woman comes from those three women. I don't put much stock in what they have to say. I believe much of what they posted is misinformation.

I wonder if the daughters and SIL were ever polygraphed.

I respect your position, Angelo. I really do. And I can totally see how one would arrive at the conclusion to which you have come. It is the most logical conclusion.

However, I think it's unfair to say the daughters "charged" over there the night before. Their MOTHER left a will to which their father would not give them access for months. I would have had a problem with that, had my Mommy left a will.

I'm pretty sure the $$$ given to the barber woman was documented and I can't really take issue with the daughters questioning that. That woman is much younger than Bob and it doesn't seem they were engaged in a sexual relationship. Don't you really have to wonder HOW she got that money out of him? What was he paying her for? Friendship? My friends don't charge me anything!

And why WOULDN'T they question Fontelle's motives? Fontelle, who, after a whirlwind "romance," is now living quite comfortably in their family home, rent, mortgage and husband free. Wasn't she living in a trailer on the property of one of her kids in MO? Honestly, I can't think of a single boyfriend I had at the age of 15 I would even recognize - let alone marry - now!

I have to say, I don't much care for my own father. He doesn't have any money nor was he still married to my Mom when she passed. I have no financial nor emotional stake whatsoever, but I just don't like my dad because he's really not a great guy. That doesn't mean I'm going to murder him or ask my husband to murder him! IMO, the daughters have been honest about Bob and his general disposition. Very often with missing persons cases, we don't see that and it can be a deterrent. The daughters have been honest. Don't you think they would have tried to hide their true relationship with and feelings about their father if they were responsible for his going missing?

The bottom line is, the people who would have benefitted financially from Bob's death are in complete limbo as long as he is "missing." Except for Fontelle, who is living quite comfortably in his home, amongst the possessions of Bob and his deceased wife.

This case is complicated and there is more than one possible suspect. That's all I'm saying.

IMO.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member