CA CA - Bell, WhtMale 1401UMCA, 15-25, in L.A. riverbed @ Patata trestle, Sep'79

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi Carl,

My name is Rhonda Callison and I might be able to clear a few things up for you. Your B. Callison photo is my husband Bob (Robert Callison, Jr.). I assure you he is alive and well. He was a freshman at Bell High in 1976. The reason you do not see him in other yearbooks is he left school to work full time. In 1979 Bob was in the Army. He is not registered on Facebook. I am, only because I follow my son in Afghanistan through the site. We do live in Hamilton, Missouri.

You were on the right track though. Bob is the brother of Charlene, Valerie and Tim Callison. All mentioned on this forum. I am sorry Cherri was not a little more clear. She did not quite understand your message and did not realize you were talking about her brother. I hope this helps you regarding this case. Good luck with identification of your John Doe.

Sincerely,

Rhonda Callison

Thanks, Rhonda

That's the unambiguous info that I was looking for.

Is there any way a body could get to this location from the ocean? Because he looks a heck of a lot like Michael Causley: http://dojapp.doj.ca.gov/missing/detail.asp?FCN=2329726500377

And the age and other stats match as well. Causley went missing after a boating accident in May 1979.

(p.s. I know you worked from the postmortem photo, but the jaw in the colored version looks a lot squarer than in the postmortem. Is that just optical illusion?)

Is there any way a body could get to this location from the ocean?

No way - Bell is about 15 miles upstream from the Ocean. Also, the LA River is not as much of a river as it is a concrete flood control channel a few hundred yards wide with a small narrow channel that runs down the middle. Water rarely overruns the narrow channel into the broader portion of the "riverbed", except for during heavy rainstorms (which are rare in Los Angeles).

As I envision it, he was probably found in a dry portion of the riverbed.

No way - Bell is about 15 miles upstream from the Ocean. Also, the LA River is not as much of a river as it is a concrete flood control channel a few hundred yards wide with a small narrow channel that runs down the middle. Water rarely overruns the narrow channel into the broader portion of the "riverbed", except for during heavy rainstorms (which are rare in Los Angeles).

As I envision it, he was probably found in a dry portion of the riverbed.

Thanks. That's the kind of thing you just can't tell from a map.

I think Causley's chin is too pointy anyway.

(p.s. I know you worked from the postmortem photo, but the jaw in the colored version looks a lot squarer than in the postmortem. Is that just optical illusion?)

When I raised his chin to show him without the slacked jaw, I deliberately took a little off of his chin to compensate. A person's chin looks longer and pointier when the teeth are apart.

BTW, to see a good example of the difference, take a look at the Charley page for Anjanette Piotrowski - In the picture on the right (with jaw slacked), her chin looks larger and pointier than the other two with her teeth together.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/piotrowski_anjanette.html

Ah, thank you! Yes, I see what you mean.

Long time lurker, first time poster... Hello everyone!

One thing I noticed after checking out Google maps for the location of the Patata st. trestle bridge (I grew up in the area and wasn't familiar with it) is that technically I believe this would be in Cudahy city limits not Bell. Although, Cudahy residents do attend Bell High School.

This locations borders an area that his heavily commercial/industrial. It's possible the UID was an employee there as opposed to a student.

Also, on the local student angle-- the area where he was found also borders another city, Bell Gardens, that has it's own high school, and both South Gate High School and Huntington Park High School are also less than 4 miles from here.

Long time lurker, first time poster... Hello everyone!

One thing I noticed after checking out Google maps for the location of the Patata st. trestle bridge (I grew up in the area and wasn't familiar with it) is that technically I believe this would be in Cudahy city limits not Bell. Although, Cudahy residents do attend Bell High School.

This locations borders an area that his heavily commercial/industrial. It's possible the UID was an employee there as opposed to a student.

Also, on the local student angle-- the area where he was found also borders another city, Bell Gardens, that has it's own high school, and both South Gate High School and Huntington Park High School are also less than 4 miles from here.

Welcome to WS, unmused.

Bell Gardens HS doesn't have any yearbooks in Classmates, and South Gate HS doesn't have any from 75-79 (they do have the 74 book). Downey HS also has only the 74 book and nothing from 75-79.

I already looked through Huntington Park HS 1977 yearbook to no avail. I also looked through Norwalk HS 1978.

When I found JD Kyle in the Long Beach books, I was actually looking for this guy.

http://doenetwork.org/cases/1392umca.html
2707337200045078242S200x200Q85.jpg

WARNING - POSTMORTEM PHOTO AT LINK
http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums...em Photos/2571959680045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

ETA: I found the 76 Warren HS (in Downey) Book. I'll start looking through that one.

ETA: I found the 76 Warren HS (in Downey) Book. I'll start looking through that one.

A couple of double-takes, but nothing in the 76 Warren HS book.

ETA: and nothing in the Schurr (Montebello) 1978 book either.

Does anyone suppose that four years after ... ?

From today's Charley updates:
Larry Dean Williams
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/williams_larry_dean.html

williams_larry_dean.jpg
4fd4af23-b988-4ab8-95af-f66f176bf2f8.jpg

Here's the postmortem:
*** WARNING - POSTMORTEM PHOTO AT LINK ***
http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums...em Photos/2571959680045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

* Same high wide forehead
* Same broad bridge of the nose.
* According to Charley Project, LDW has a "Scar on his head". But you can't see it in the photo. Maybe the scarring occurred after the photo was taken. If so, the UID has a scar on his left temple.
* Bell is a stone's throw from Long Beach - right up the 710 freeway.
* Disappeared possibly while hitchhiking. Could this have been a Shaun Hornbeck scenario?

Larry Dean Williams

williams_larry_dean.jpg

Here's the postmortem:

* According to Charley Project, LDW has a "Scar on his head". But you can't see it in the photo. Maybe the scarring occurred after the photo was taken. If so, the UID has a scar on his left temple.
* Disappeared possibly while hitchhiking. Could this have been a Shaun Hornbeck scenario?

There is a strong resemblance, to be sure. That appears to be a school photo of LDW, so a visible scar might have been airbrushed out. But his ears stick out and the UID's don't.

But his ears stick out and the UID's don't.

You can't see the UID's right ear, as his head is lying on a sheet (or pillow). And his left ear is hidden in the shadows.

There is a difference in their chins, but I did a little googling and found that the mandible undergoes a massive growth spurt in boys starting around age 14 or 15, so it should be expected that he will have a much larger chin at 19 than he did at 15.

You can't see the UID's right ear, as his head is lying on a sheet (or pillow). And his left ear is hidden in the shadows.

There is a difference in their chins, but I did a little googling and found that the mandible undergoes a massive growth spurt in boys starting around age 14 or 15, so it should be expected that he will have a much larger chin at 19 than he did at 15.

I think if his left ear stuck out as far as Williams', it would have been visible in the photo. But I don't think that's enough to make a rule-out on by itself. I agree, the difference in the chins seems to be within the range that would be accounted for by growth.

I think it's close enough to call in. I don't see anything obvious to rule it out.

I called Daniel Machian of the LA County Coroner to find out if the case file indicated any chipped teeth or scars on the abdomen of the decedent.

He said that he didn't see anything in the case file, but he asked me to send it in anyway, and he would take a closer look.

So Larry Dean Williams is now submitted as a possible match to "Bell Boy".

Obviously not to your standards.

Thanks for looking into it, and that's obviously encouraging!! Hopefully, I'll hear back from Valorie Callison with clarification of whether B. Callison's whereabouts have been accounted for since 1979. If I don't hear from Valorie within a day or two, I will send out a few more private messages to the other Callisons on her Facebook "Friends" list.

The only reason why the postmortem photo is available here is because Doe Network asked me to do the recon. I saved the photo on my computer, and since then, Los Angeles County has removed all of their postmortem photos from their website as a result of a law that was passed. I'm not sure why the law was passed, but its probably because the blood and guts websites that display photos of the deceased for ghoulish amusement had links to the LA County Coroner site.

Yesterday morning, I posted all of the LA County PM photos that I had to Porchlight USA's Postmortem Photos section. So at least you will have the PM photos to go with the recons that I did. For most others, the PM photos are nowhere to be found unless someone else saved them.

ETA: I also sent a Facebook message to Cherrie Callison.

I wondered about why the photos were no longer available -- I wanted to compare a unidentified decedent to a missing person recently and was unable to. I had no idea about the other sort of website (that really creeps me out).

Larry Dean Williams

williams_larry_dean.jpg

Here's the side-by-side with the postmortem:

I was talking to Daniel Machian today on a separate issue, but reminded him that I never received a reply on this possible match. He asked me to re-send the e-mail and he'd look into it.

He replied back a few hours later as follows:

Unfortunately due to the lack of the information ( dental records for MP Larry Williams and no
DNA specimen available for DNA typing for case 1979-11760) this case cannot be
completely ruled out or matched at this time.

The discrepancies that exist are the scars. MP Larry Williams has a hernia scar and scar to his head.

Per the autopsy report for case 1979-11760, the decedent did not have any scars, and there is no indication in the dental chart that the decedent had a chipped front tooth.

I also asked the mod to replace my facial recon images in this thread with my most recent version.

I was wondering if this UID could have been a waiter. Some restaurants in Southern California wear Hawaiian shirts as part of their uniform (I know Panama Joe's in Long Beach used to (they changed ownership a while ago and I haven't been there since then, so I don't know if they still do), Islands does, and a few others). I'm not sure if a waiter didn't show up for work back in the late 1970s if the management would report him as a missing person to police or just assume that he didn't want to work for them anymore and let him go.

What was the cause of death?

It was never stated, but I have a strong suspicion that he was a Randy Kraft or William Bonin victim.

Bell is right in the vicinity of where Bonin picked up several of his victims.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back