Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
4.28pm: The incident at the Fukushima No 1 nuclear plant is less serious than both the Three Mile Island accident in 1979 and the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear disaster, according to Japan's nuclear safety agency.

An official at the agency said it has given the incident a rating of 4 on the International Nuclear and Radiological Event Scale (INES), which equates to an accident with local consequences. Three Mile Island was rated 5 while Chernobyl received the highest rating of 7, he added.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/12/japan-earthquake-tsunami-aftermath-live

http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/RS_Battle_to_stabilise_earthquake_reactors_1203111.html

"To protect the public from potential health effects of radioactive isotopes of iodine that could potentially be released, authorities are preparing to distribute tablets of non-radioactive potassium-iodide. This is quickly taken up by the body and its presence prevents the take-up of iodine should people be exposed to it."

My grandmother had some of those from many many years ago. I loved her with all my heart but thought she was kinda crazy she had been trained to set up decontamination tents etc.. had all kinds of government issued manuals etc I threw all that away when she passed..... Kinda wish I hung onto it all.......

Peeples-who is just sorta kinda having a freak out now...

The injection of seawater into the building started at 8.20pm and this is planned to be followed by addition of boric acid, which is used to inhibit nuclear reactions. However, Tepco reported at 10.15pm that a new tsunami warning has caused this to be suspended temporarily.

i just read TMI was a 3 :waitasec:

i can't link...it is reuters live wire :(

According to the Wiki INES entry:

INES Level 5: Accident with wider consequences
---
Impact on Radiological Barriers and Control
* Severe damage to reactor core.
* Release of large quantities of radioactive material within an installation with a high probability of significant public exposure. This could arise from a major criticality accident or fire.
Example: Three Mile Island accident (United States), 28 March 1979. A combination of design and operator errors caused a gradual loss of coolant, leading to a partial meltdown. Radioactive gases were released into the atmosphere.

Considering I live near San Onofre in earthquake territory this is all pretty disturbing.

Considering I live near San Onofre in earthquake territory this is all pretty disturbing.

Heck, I live all the way on the other side of the country, not near a coast at all, and people here are disturbed. Like buying all the bottled water, and stocking up on their pet supplies disturbed.

I just saw on CNN banner that the "makeshift effort" of seawater cooling will take two days.

wiki has some good updated info this morning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_I_Nuclear_Power_Plant#References
this is from plant1

an announcement of TEPCO indicated that the gamma ray radiation recorded on the main gate was increased from 69 nanogray/hour (nGy/h) (4:00 local time, 12 March) to 866nGy/h 40 minutes later and reached the peak of 385.5μSv/h at 10:30am local time.[36]

:shocked2:866 ngy/h ??
Researching Chernobyl the max I could find that it reached was 250 ngy/h.

I found this in regards to Chernobyl
http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...1225be0ab7310f852f22cd7c6bce78b5&searchtype=a

The hazard ratio (HR) per 100 nanoGray/hour (nGy/h) was significantly increased for total malignancies and for several sites; however, contrary to expectations, an obvious and anticipated linear exposure–response relationship could not be identified. With the lowest exposure category (0–60 nGy/h) as reference, a statistically significantly increased HR for total malignancies was seen in all exposure categories, except in the highest category 96–366 nGy/h. For breast cancer, thyroid cancer and leukaemia an obvious exposure–response could not be seen.

http://e.nikkei.com/e/fr/tnks/Nni20110312D12JFF03.htm

TOKYO (Nikkei)--The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency (NISA) said Saturday afternoon the explosion at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant could only have been caused by a meltdown of the reactor core. The same day, Tokyo Electric Power Co. (9501), which runs the plant, began to flood the damaged reactor with seawater to cool it down, resorting to measures that could rust the reactor and force the utility to scrap it. Cesium and iodine, by-products of nuclear fission, were detected around the plant, which would make the explosion the worst accident in the roughly 50-year history of Japanese nuclear power generation. An explosion was heard near the plant's No. 1 reactor about 3:30 p.m. and plumes of white smoke went up 10 minutes later. The ceiling of the building housing the reactor collapsed, according to information obtained by Fukushima prefectural authorities.At a news conference Saturday night, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano discounted the possibility of a significant leak of radioactive material from the accident. "The walls of the building containing the reactor were destroyed, meaning that the metal container encasing the reactor did not explode," Edano said.The amount of radiation detected inside the plant after 4:00 p.m. slightly exceeded the dose people can safely receive in a year, according to information obtained by the Fukushima prefectural government.The No. 1 reactor shut down automatically soon after a massive earthquake hit the area Friday, but its emergency core cooling system failed to cool the reactor's core sufficiently.

Heck, I live all the way on the other side of the country, not near a coast at all, and people here are disturbed. Like buying all the bottled water, and stocking up on their pet supplies disturbed.

I haven't filled up the bathtubs or sealed the doors and windows..... yet ... ;)

I just do not believe the officials in Japan are being honest with us or their own residents of their country... I get they are worried about panic.... but they can't leave their people to be sitting ducks either...

I haven't filled up the bathtubs or sealed the doors and windows..... yet ... ;)

I might stock up on fish, fearing that prices will jump ridiculously if there is contamination of the ocean, but that's about it. We are far enough away, and radiation is heavy...I doubt it will reach the US at all.

I cant fathom being an official there and having to say "hey people you have lost your homes from the earthquake/tsunami and now you have been exposed to massive levels of rad and it was large enough for some of you get cancer/radiation posioning or miscarriages from it" I can see why they dont want to spread panic in the situation. It's happened and it's a lesson just like history has told that these reactors are dangerous.

I think they are doing what they can to contain the problem at this point. Yes, it will effect their aquafer/underground water and the fish and animals. It is catastrophic in itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo