Found Deceased Canada - Lachlan Cranswick, 41, Deep River near Ottawa ON, 18 Jan 2010 - #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110312/110312_nuclear_analysis/20110312/?hub=CP24Home
Canada's nuclear regulator, meanwhile, said it's confident Canadian reactors could withstand such an event.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission issued a statement saying the country's nuclear plants "are among the most robust designs in the world" in the world.

It says they have tools in place to prevent damage in the case of a quake.

A spokeswoman for Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd., the country's nuclear energy research program, said reactor sites in Canada are built on sturdy ground.

Robin Forbes said the sites have been "geologically screened to make sure that they are built in a location that is seismically stable."

It says they have tools in place to prevent damage in the case of a quake.

A spokeswoman for Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd., the country's nuclear energy research program, said reactor sites in Canada are built on sturdy ground.

Robin Forbes said the sites have been "geologically screened to make sure that they are built in a location that is seismically stable."

:violin::rolleyes:

Maybe wanna share with the good Canadian peeps just what those "tools" might consist of?

My heart goes out to the people of Japan, what a nightmare for them. Bad enough to have the quake and Tsunami, now the threar of exposure to radiation, they must be terrified! I'm terrified and I am nowhere near there!!! I'm wondering what they are likely to be doing with the seawater being poured on the reactors. Wouldn't this now be radioactive? Wish there was a guy around like Lachlan to explain all this to us. Maybe I will head for bluehaze and see what I can find.

My heart goes out to the people of Japan, what a nightmare for them. Bad enough to have the quake and Tsunami, now the threar of exposure to radiation, they must be terrified! I'm terrified and I am nowhere near there!!! I'm wondering what they are likely to be doing with the seawater being poured on the reactors. Wouldn't this now be radioactive?
Wish there was a guy around like Lachlan to explain all this to us. Maybe I will head for bluehaze and see what I can find.
:dunno: Lachlan's friend doesn't seem too concerned:

Latest : Nuclear blasts : CTV Montreal: Dominic Ryan, McGill physicist

VIDEO : http://watch.ctv.ca/news/#clip432750

:violin::rolleyes:

Maybe wanna share with the good Canadian peeps just what those "tools" might consist of?
IMO by 'tools' they could also mean 'monitoring stations', followed by 'evacuation', 'iodine tablets'? Also this:
"If you had a severe earthquake, the reactor would shut itself down in about two seconds," Gruetzner said. "And if you did have a situation where you didn't have the grid power ... you've got multiple backup systems in place. That includes a series of diesel generators and combustion turbine engines."

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2011/03/14/17614061.html

hi guys have just scanned the last couple of pages....I was interested in Lachlans disappearance way back and although I am not up to date on all the details, I really think his death was suspicious and he knew too much about something.

anyway just to go a bit off topic, a couple of months ago my hubby and I were watching a music show and it was about one off hits from the 60's 70's 80's that were really different. There was a song I really liked, something about sheep, anyhow I googled it and lo and behold it bought up a blog that was written by Lachlan, it was very interesting and to cut a long story short I had an immediate respect for him as a very smart and extremely interesting guy, it would have been great to have known him.

Also re the crisis in Japan, I am very concerned about it and think the japanese are being way too quiet about it. I keep asking my husband which way the wind is blowing and will it come down in the rain etc but he tells me not to worry. I personally think this is one thing we should worry about! they're worried about microwaves and mobile phones, let alone a huge amount being in our atmosphere..............or maybe I'm being silly.

hi guys have just scanned the last couple of pages....I was interested in Lachlans disappearance way back and although I am not up to date on all the details, I really think his death was suspicious and he knew too much about something.

anyway just to go a bit off topic, a couple of months ago my hubby and I were watching a music show and it was about one off hits from the 60's 70's 80's that were really different. There was a song I really liked, something about sheep, anyhow I googled it and lo and behold it bought up a blog that was written by Lachlan, it was very interesting and to cut a long story short I had an immediate respect for him as a very smart and extremely interesting guy, it would have been great to have known him.

Also re the crisis in Japan, I am very concerned about it and think the japanese are being way too quiet about it. I keep asking my husband which way the wind is blowing and will it come down in the rain etc but he tells me not to worry. I personally think this is one thing we should worry about! they're worried about microwaves and mobile phones, let alone a huge amount being in our atmosphere..............or maybe I'm being silly.

You aren't being silly at all! Let's hope they can get things under control quickly. I think this could be a serious worry for a large area if this gets to a total meltdown. I am worried about where all the contaminated sea water is going.

Do you happen to have a link to the blog Lachlan wrote? We love to read things written by him. And yes, he was a truly amazing guy and it would have been awesome to have known him!!

Revampz, you are not being silly. I am silly ;)

We all fell in love with Lachlan, and I don't think anyone here will ever forget him. Max is right ... we like to read or hear anything new about him, so we'd be interested in the blog you mentioned.

I've also wondered about the effect on the waters. Have read that the radiation dissipates in air, but not sure whether that holds true for water.

I'm in BC, getting a little nervous, having read so many conflicting reports. Was doing okay until I heard yesterday that Oregon and Washington state are monitoring for radiation levels. Being just to the north of those states, and as more incidents occur at the nuclear facilities in Japan, the greater chance the effects can be more widespread. I've got some emergency plans in place, with a view to getting a headstart in the event any serious situation arises here on the west coast.

It is so heart-wrenching to watch events unfolding in Japan. I don't know how much more those poor people can endure.

Pickering nuclear plant reports water leak
Risk to public is 'negligible' says Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
CBC News Posted: Mar 16, 2011 1:04 PM ET Last Updated: Mar 16, 2011 2:00 PM ET
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/03/16/pickering-nuclear-leak.html

Ontario Power Generation has notified Canada's federal nuclear regulator about the release of 73,000 litres of demineralized water into Lake Ontario at the Pickering A nuclear generating station. Canadian PressOntario Power Generation has notified Canada's federal nuclear regulator about the release of 73,000 litres of demineralized water into Lake Ontario at the Pickering A nuclear generating station.

The leak occurred at 11:30 p.m. ET on Monday at the plant located about 35 kilometres east of Toronto and was caused by a pump seal failure.

“The radiological risk to the environment and people's health is negligible,” Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission said in a statement.

The nuclear regulator and Environment Canada are monitoring the situation, the statement said.

Pickering nuclear plant reports water leak
Risk to public is 'negligible' says Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
CBC News Posted: Mar 16, 2011 1:04 PM ET Last Updated: Mar 16, 2011 2:00 PM ET
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/03/16/pickering-nuclear-leak.html

Ontario Power Generation has notified Canada's federal nuclear regulator about the release of 73,000 litres of demineralized water into Lake Ontario at the Pickering A nuclear generating station. Canadian PressOntario Power Generation has notified Canada's federal nuclear regulator about the release of 73,000 litres of demineralized water into Lake Ontario at the Pickering A nuclear generating station.

The leak occurred at 11:30 p.m. ET on Monday at the plant located about 35 kilometres east of Toronto and was caused by a pump seal failure.

“The radiological risk to the environment and people's health is negligible,” Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission said in a statement.

The nuclear regulator and Environment Canada are monitoring the situation, the statement said.

Sure it is.

That link I gave yesterday re the radiation levels has changed a bit. It is now:

www.radiationnetwork.com

I've been thinking about you SB, thinking that if they don't get this under control it may affect BC. I'm really not sure how far the wind can take the radiation, but I also wonder about the ocean. I'm sure a lot of radiation has already gone into the sea. Poor little fishies.

You aren't being silly at all! Let's hope they can get things under control quickly. I think this could be a serious worry for a large area if this gets to a total meltdown. I am worried about where all the contaminated sea water is going.

Do you happen to have a link to the blog Lachlan wrote? We love to read things written by him. And yes, he was a truly amazing guy and it would have been awesome to have known him!!
:no: not looking good, by the latest news, things don't appear to be under control

watch the videos as well
Japan has 48 hours to bring its rapidly escalating nuclear crisis under control before it faces a catastrophe "worse than Chernobyl", it was claimed on Wednesday night.

Nuclear safety officials in France said they were "pessimistic" about whether engineers could prevent a meltdown at the Fukushima power plant after a pool containing spent fuel rods overheated and boiled dry.
full article & videos : http://www.canada.com/news/Japan+just+hours+avoid+another+Chernobyl/4448316/story.html
As an aside: there was a very short and minor earthquake (4.3) in Quebec and Ontario.

for such a long article, I truly expected to see some mention of Lachlan :( .... all that talk about:
"it's such a small town" "tranquil community" “This is such a unique thing to happen in our municipality. When a big OPP truck comes in with its antennas up, you know something seriously wrong has happened."
and
Rick said their mother wasn’t able to come because she couldn’t get the time off from Atomic Energy of Canada Limited, where she worked as a process mechanical designer. (Rick works there, too, in research and development.)
I know this is :offtopic: but wanted to make sure I got it right: "Michelle's MIL was at work at AECL ... Michelle's husband (and their 2 children) went to visit his dad at PS, who in turn had gone to DR to "visit" his son's ex-wife (Michelle) ... he then went back to PS, where he surrendered to the OPP. "

Why would the FIL go visit her at her new place? The children were not with her, so it was not to visit his grandchildren neither :waitasec:

“I didn’t even know he went. I don’t know details. I’m still baffled by what’s going on,” he said. “As far as I know, he’s never talked to her since everything happened between her and I.”

Describing their relationship before the decision to separate, Cameron said his father and wife got along fine.

“He always tried to make her feel like she was part of the family,” Cameron said. “She tended to get along better with my parents than she did her own.”
Thompson said the lack of information prompted the small town’s rumour mill to kick into high gear. He said that when he drove by Tuesday night, a small crowd of people had gathered close by.
So much for a New Year's Resolution :
They made the decision to separate on New Year’s Day, he said.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Deep+River+police+investigate+first+homicide+town+history/4448392/story.html

such a senseless, terrible tragedy :( now those children will grow up without their Mom :( and knowing a family member is responsible for that.

:rose: RIP Michelle :rose:

Bret Stone's body was found approximately 6 km away from DR (in a straight line - a longer distance by back roads and trails), near the edge of Algonquin Park. AFAIK, no-one had seen him in the town and no-one in town recognized him. Is there any evidence that he was a) murdered and b) died in DR itself? I am not aware of any.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ms.green
Back