General Discussions #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jenifred said:
I think that the police are being tight lipped because they know who did it. I think that Janet's family is being tight lipped because LE has asked them to keep quiet in hopes that this will keep the perp relaxed and not hostile--giving them the sense that they've gotten away with murder. And I hope, above all, that LE hasn't made an arrest because they are waiting to find that one piece of evidence that will send the perp straight to jail. And I know, this has been said by every single member here too.
Or waiting on forensics, or comparing statements between countless "witnesses", etc. If he really played soccer that night, there would probably be quite a few statements that needed to be taken. And an article I saw earlier mentioned that they had questioned neighbors. So I imagine that without a "smoking gun", they need some time to piece everything together effectively.

JerseyGirl said:
WTVD Video Player from article at Eyewitness News 11.com: New Video Surfaces of Abaroas

From the video: "police insist this was not a random act and the public isn't in any danger."

**********************************************************************************************************
I posted this in the media links but I think it might be worth discussing.

This article/video update is dated June 3rd, and it states that police INSIST that it was not random. Was that a comment made by LE for the June 3rd update? If so, that means that a full 5 weeks after Janet's murder, police are not saying that they believe it was not random; they INSIST that it wasn't random. That statement being made on that date, IMO, is very significant. I believe that LE knows a lot, and that they have a clear direction in this case.

While it is frustrating for those of us sitting here talking and waiting, I do believe that LE is investigating this thoroughly, and are building a case. It was mentioned in the June 3rd update that police were remaining tight-lipped. What is it that's keeping them so tight-lipped? What makes this case different than others, (or are they tight-lipped like this in all similar cases)?

ETA: An article I read earlier mentioned that police aren't saying much because they do not want to hinder the investigation. Based on the above video, I actually believe them. I think that they know what they're doing but for some reason haven't been able to move any faster just yet.
..that is very interesting that 5 weeks later, LE is still saying the same thing they said right from the start...
...and based on the backlog situation at the raleigh crime lab, that they are waiting for those results, at which time we'll see an arrest...

JerseyGirl said:
Eyewitness News 11.com: Police Search for Murdered Mother's Killer

... Officers remained on the scene Wednesday, scanning the yard with metal detectors. Neighbors say Aboroa moved into the house with her child and husband just a few months ago. She had a 6-month old son who is now staying with family friends. Police did not know if the child was at home when his mother was killed.

Brewer is mourning the loss of a friend who had so much to live for.

"All she wanted was the baby, and she finally got it," she aid. "Now, she's not going to be around to raise it."
Good find JG. I hadn't seen that article either. I would have loved to have seen the video that went along with it.

Sorry for the delay in response. I've been out of town all day. My cousin knew them both well. He and his girlfriend at the time went out quite a bit with Raven and Janet. There's no way to know how much money Raven's family received from the Church over the years. Remember though, that the system is set up to guard against abuse. They couldn't go from one Bishop to another. In order to request monetary assistance, you go to your Bishop. Bishops preside over wards, which are comprised of members in a geographic area, i.e. east Durham = Durham 1st Ward, west Durham = Durham 2nd Ward. Relative to any assistance he may receive from the Church, I can't speculate. He may be assisted in finding a new job. I doubt highly, however, that he's getting any money right now.

ewwwinteresting said:
I moved it over here since the question didn't belong on the other thread :)

Your cousin knew Raven and Janet both well or just one of them? If the family moved around a alot, would there be a way to track how much money they received from the church? Could they go from Bishop to Bishop and ask for money? Maybe Raven learned this growing up and did the same thing as an adult?? It is also conceivable that the church will now help him with money because he has no job and a baby, is that right?

NCBanker said:
Sorry for the delay in response. I've been out of town all day. My cousin knew them both well. He and his girlfriend at the time went out quite a bit with Raven and Janet. There's no way to know how much money Raven's family received from the Church over the years. Remember though, that the system is set up to guard against abuse. They couldn't go from one Bishop to another. In order to request monetary assistance, you go to your Bishop. Bishops preside over wards, which are comprised of members in a geographic area, i.e. east Durham = Durham 1st Ward, west Durham = Durham 2nd Ward. Relative to any assistance he may receive from the Church, I can't speculate. He may be assisted in finding a new job. I doubt highly, however, that he's getting any money right now.
Since Raven has moved around so much, could he in essence have multiple Bishops because he has been in multiple wards? Would the Bishops communicate with each other to know whether he already has received money? Could Raven be benefitting financially from this murder because members of his church would feel sorry for him?

snapple said:
Since Raven has moved around so much, could he in essence have multiple Bishops because he has been in multiple wards? Would the Bishops communicate with each other to know whether he already has received money? Could Raven be benefitting financially from this murder because members of his church would feel sorry for him?
Whenever he moved to a new city (or sometimes to a different part of the same city depending on the Mormon population), Raven would have recieved a new Bishop. He would never be under the "jurisdiction" of more than one bishop at any time. It is not protocol for previous Bishops to communicate about financial assistance but, as NCBanker said, the system is set up to prevent abuse. Bishops consider these funds sacred and never distribute them without careful consideration. However, it is a system that is ultimately run by very human, and therefore falliable individuals.

My guess is that if he is receiving assistance now, it would be from individual donations from ward members and NOT from the ward itself.

NCBanker said:
I doubt highly, however, that he's getting any money right now.
Of course he's not getting anything from the church because he's got a memorial fund that sympathetic people have funded to live off of. And I'm sure that people have probably donated to him directly too. Didn't we hear from golfmom that he had recently purchased a new $500 phone?

I couldn't have said it better myself, JuliaGoulia. Well put!

I will say that Bishops DO communicate with each other from time to time. I've seen cases where a new member moves into the area and appears to be very active and earnest. They almost immediately make an appointment with the Bishop to request financial assistance. Because they've just moved there, the Bishop may inquire as to where they last lived (in order to request their records be moved) and if they had received assistance from the Church there. Regardless of the individual's answer, the Bishop would call the previous Bishop in order to find out what's been going on. I've seen this done many times.

juliagoulia said:
Whenever he moved to a new city (or sometimes to a different part of the same city depending on the Mormon population), Raven would have recieved a new Bishop. He would never be under the "jurisdiction" of more than one bishop at any time. It is not protocol for previous Bishops to communicate about financial assistance but, as NCBanker said, the system is set up to prevent abuse. Bishops consider these funds sacred and never distribute them without careful consideration. However, it is a system that is ultimately run by very human, and therefore falliable individuals.

My guess is that if he is receiving assistance now, it would be from individual donations from ward members and NOT from the ward itself.

I was out with my husband last night and I looked up and saw a black VX staring back at me. It stopped me dead in my tracks. I use to just look at them and think, 'what a funny looking little vehicle'. This time I came to a dead stop and looked around me. It was odd. I guess this case has really gotten to me.

curious1 said:
I was out with my husband last night and I looked up and saw a black VX staring back at me. It stopped me dead in my tracks. I use to just look at them and think, 'what a funny looking little vehicle'. This time I came to a dead stop and looked around me. It was odd. I guess this case has really gotten to me.
I had a similar situation when I was in traffic one day behind an Acura with NC plates. I looked to the driver, and it was a male wearing a baseball cap. I never did get to see the driver's face but it's probably safe to assume that it wasn't Raven here in my neck of the woods. :)

..i wonder if he ever got the dodge durango back from LE? did he ever really sell the ducati ? i presume he's driving the VX, the 'attention getter'...

lauriej said:
..i wonder if he ever got the dodge durango back from LE? did he ever really sell the ducati ? i presume he's driving the VX, the 'attention getter'...
Isn't he still in UT? I don't think that a single man with an infant would have even attempted the drive from VA to UT alone. I think that he flew. So, he probably doesn't have any "ride" right now. Which makes me wonder, where is it parked while he's in UT?

..yes, i agree that he no doubt flew to utah, when he IS driving, i would think it's the VX....if he is selling off vehicles, i think the VX would be the last to go...

I too saw a VX today and it stopped me dead! I even looked to see if it may have been him!

lauriej said:
You know, I read an article yesterday that mentioned that they had searched the Durango because it was sitting on the driveway when police arrived on the crime scene. So is that all it takes to avoid having your other vehicles searched ... park them somewhere else?

Jenifred said:
Isn't he still in UT? I don't think that a single man with an infant would have even attempted the drive from VA to UT alone. I think that he flew. So, he probably doesn't have any "ride" right now. Which makes me wonder, where is it parked while he's in UT?
Probably in the same obscure location in which his other vehicles were parked on the night of the murder.

JerseyGirl said:
I had a similar situation when I was in traffic one day behind an Acura with NC plates. I looked to the driver, and it was a male wearing a baseball cap. I never did get to see the driver's face but it's probably safe to assume that it wasn't Raven here in my neck of the woods. :)
Unless he was heading up to Maine? Someone posted that he had family up there and was going to stay with them for awhile. Of course, I highly doubt he would be driving the Acura when he would be noticed so much more in the VX.

ewwwinteresting said:
Unless he was heading up to Maine? Someone posted that he had family up there and was going to stay with them for awhile. Of course, I highly doubt he would be driving the Acura when he would be noticed so much more in the VX.
Did we ever find out what actually happened to the Acura, was it sold? given to someone? or just sitting in a vacant lot?

snapple said:
Did we ever find out what actually happened to the Acura, was it sold? given to someone? or just sitting in a vacant lot?
.......we had heard that someone in janet's family has it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member