Drew Peterson's Trial *FIRST WEEK*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
about a minute ago

In Session here is some info on the prosecution's first witness, Mary Pontarelli who testified yesterday: Prosecution Witness #1) MARY PONTARELLI (next-door neighbor and close friend of drowning victim Kathleen Savio)
* Became friends with Drew and Kathleen Savio Peterson when the Petersons moved next door in 1997. She was especially close to Kathleen. “We seen [sic] each other almost every day.”
* Recalled how the Petersons split up after Kathleen learned that Drew was having an affair with Stacy Cales.
* After Drew Peterson moved out, Kathleen had a deadbolt lock installed on her bedroom door.
* Last saw Savio on the afternoon of Saturday, February 28, 2004. “She said that she had a great week at school . . . she was studying to become a nurse.” Said that Savio told her she was going to stay home that night and study.
* Saw Savio’s bedroom light was still on when she and her husband returned home from a party that night around midnight.
* On Monday, evening (March 1), she received a call from Drew Peterson. “He said he’d tried to bring the kids back, but Kathleen still wasn’t home . . . he asked me if he got a locksmith if I would go in the house with him.”
* After unsuccessfully trying to reach Savio by phone, Mrs. Pontarelli agreed to go along with Drew Peterson’s plan. “I went outside; the locksmith was already working on the door.”
* Once the front door was open, Pontarelli went upstairs with another neighbor, Steve Cancerano. “He [Peterson] was still down by the bottom of the steps.”
* After she and Cancerano entered Savio’s bedroom, Cancerano headed toward the master bathroom. “He called out my name, I went into the bathroom, and seen [sic] Kathy in the tub. I ran out of the bathroom, threw myself down, and started screaming.”
* Described injuries she noted on Savio’s body. “She had a cut in her head . . . there was dried blood in her hair . . . then I noticed some bruising on her wrists and on her buttocks. She also had some blood coming out of her nose.”
* After she screamed, her husband, her son, and Peterson came running up to the bathroom. “Drew did take her pulse. I said, ‘Is the dead?’ And he said, ‘Yes, Mary, she is.’”
* Pontarelli’s first impulse was to drape something over Savio’s body. But Peterson told that she shouldn’t.
* Described the Peterson/Savio divorce as “bitter” . . . but acknowledged that as time went on “it seemed that they were getting along better.”
* Agreed that Kathleen Savio could be “tough . . . I wouldn’t call her bossy . . . she had strong passions.”
* Doesn’t recall seeing a robe or any clothing near Savio’s bathtub. However, she acknowledged that a photo of the scene seems to show a blue robe inside the room.
* Peterson was in uniform on the night in question. But when he rushed up the stairs and into the bathroom as a result of Pontarelli’s scream, he did not have his gun drawn.

I hope the jury picked up on this point.

In Session Around 10:00 pm on Monday, March 1, “my wife got a call from Drew.” Peterson reported that he couldn’t get a hold of Kathleen, and he was getting a locksmith. Mr. and Mrs. Pontarelli, their son (Nick), and neighbor Steve Carcerano came over. Pontarelli: “He [the locksmith] was already working on the front door…the locksmith left, and we walked in…Steve, Mary, Nick, and myself.” Prosecution: “Was the light on inside the house?” Pontarelli: “We had to turn the light on; I don’t know who turned it on.” Prosecution: “Where did you go?” Pontarelli: “I went down the hallway, through the kitchen, and to the service door entrance to the garage. I opened the service door to see if the car was there…then I heard screaming…I went up the stairs.” At this time, Drew “was standing in the voyeur, right next to the front door.”

In Session Pontarelli ran by Drew and started up the stairs. Prosecution: “Did he follow you?” Pontarelli: “Yes.”

In Session Using a laser pointer, the witness points out on a home diagram where Peterson was standing. He then identifies a photo of “the entrance to her bedroom, Kathleen’s bedroom.” When he came in, there was a light turned on. Prosecution: “What did you do?” Pontarelli: “Went into the bathroom.” He now identifies a photograph of the bathroom door. Prosecution: “Is that the entrance from the bedroom?” Pontarelli: “Yes …I seen Kathy laying in the tub.” He now identifies a photograph of Savio lying in the tub. Prosecution: “What did you observe about her body in the tub?” Pontarelli: “I didn’t observe nothing, except there was no towel there…it was clean, pristine, no ring around the tub, no soap scum. It was clean.” Prosecution: “Did you see water in the tub?” Pontarellli: “No…I made a comment, ‘Where was her clothes that she had on, that she was going to put on?’ There was no rug, there was no towel.”
Prosecution: “Where was the defendant at that time?” Pontarelli: “Standing next to me.” Prosecution: “What did the defendant do when he entered the bathroom?” Pontarelli: “He checked her pulse, her wrist…he said, ‘What am I going to tell my children?’…Mary and Steve left, and I stayed up there with Drew. Then we walked out to the landing right outside the bedroom door …he made a phone call; I believe it was his cell phone…he says to the person that he just found his wife dead in the bathtub, and people are going to think he did it.”

In Session At this point, Pontarelli left Drew there and went home. He later went to Steve Carcerano’s home. Prosecution: “When you said you didn’t know when Nick left after he’d been upstairs, did he remain upstairs?” Pontarelli: “No.” Prosecution: “So Nick left the area of the second floor while you were still up there, and your wife also?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Prosecution: “You and the defendant were the only ones up there at the time?” Pontarelli: “Yes.”

In Session “No other questions.” This ends the direct examination.

Defense begins cross-examination of Kathleen Savio's neighbor Tom Pontarelli in the Drew Peterson trial.

In Session Defense attorney Joseph Lopez begins his cross-examination. Defense: “You’re married to Mary Pontarelli, and have a son named Nick?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “The house Drew moved into was some time in 1999 or 2000?” Pontarelli: “’99.” Defense: “They lived right next door to you, and you spent time with them, right?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “Drew was a fun person, a nice guy to you?’ Pontarelli: “Yes, he was.” Defense: “You were friends?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “He was mad you and Steve had moved his stuff out of the house and into the garage?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “He felt that was a violation?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “That men shouldn’t do that to one another?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “And your wife was best friends with Kathy?” Pontarelli: “Yes…I was in the middle.” Defense: “You really wanted to stay out of it?” Pontarelli: “Right…I just tried to help each other out, remain neutral…it wasn’t easy.” Defense: “You would hear things from your wife about Drew?” Pontarelli: “Right.” Defense: “You didn’t know if they were true or not?” Pontarelli: “None of my business.”

:)

In Session Defense: “You understood why he was mad, right?” Pontarelli: “Sure.” Defense: “He really didn’t want you to have anything to do with Kathy?” Pontarelli: “Nothing…he didn’t want me to help her.” Defense: “In the beginning, when Drew moved out, that was sometime in 2002?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “Drew got remarried?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “Kathy got a boyfriend, Steve?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “You and Mary and Kathy and Steve go out?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “Things settled down eventually between Drew and Kathy?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “In fact, he lived down the street, a few blocks...you’d see him in the neighborhood?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “You’d wave?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “He wouldn’t give you the finger or anything like that?” Pontarelli: “No.”

In Session Defense: “During the divorce, in the beginning, Drew and Kathy would play goofy games against each other?” Pontarelli: “They each had their own tactics, I guess you could say.” Defense: “Each one trying to get the upper hand?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “You don’t’ really want to be here testifying today, do you?” Pontarelli: “Not really, no.”

In Session The witness denies that he has any animosity toward Peterson (“we were friends . . . we talked”). Defense: “When Drew moved out, there was a big interruption between you and Drew?” Pontarelli: “We didn’t see each other as much …one time I had a clogged drain, and I had to go to Drew’s house; he had a power router…he was cordial.” Defense: “So after Drew moved out, you’d been to the new house?” Pontarelli: “Yes, I was there…three or four times.” Defense: “When you knew Drew and Kathy, Drew worked nights?” Pontarelli: “Correct.” Defense: “That caused friction?” Pontarelli: “I don’t know.” Defense: “Drew lived in the basement?” Pontarelli: “He had an apartment down there, yes.”

In Session Defense: “Do you remember when it was that Kathy started her relationship with Steve?” Pontarelli: “Not off hand, no.” Defense: “In February, 2004 you took your family to Orlando?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “You came back on a Friday, do you remember that?” Pontarelli: “I don’t remember the date, but we came home…I believe it was a Friday.” Defense: “You saw Kathy the next day?” Pontarelli: “I saw Kathy.” Defense: “It was a Saturday?” Pontarelli: “I don’t remember…I remember her in our driveway, so she came up to us.” Defense: “You had plans to go out that evening?” Pontarelli: “Yes…some type of get together.” Defense: “You invited Kathy to come with you?” Pontarelli: “Not me personally…I believe it was Mary…she didn’t’ come.” Defense: “There was an invitation, and she declined the invitation?” Pontarelli: “You’re correct about that.”

In Session The Pontarellis left for the party around 6:00 pm. When they returned shortly after midnight, they saw a light on in Savio’s bedroom. With the use of a photograph, Mr. Pontarelli describes the view of the Savio home that he would have seen when he returned that night. Pontarelli: “I would say it was about 12:20.” Defense: “Then you went into your house?” Pontarelli: “Right.” Defense: “You rose the next morning?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “Do you remember if you saw any vehicles in the [Savio] driveway?” Pontarelli: “That night? There were no cars in the driveway.” Defense: “That night, you didn’t hear anything unusual?” Pontarelli: “No.” Defense: “No doors slamming, screaming, scuffles, motor noise from a car, banging or crying?” Pontarelli: “No.”

In Session Sunday morning he got up about 8:00. Pontarelli: “We would have Sunday dinners; every once in a while we would invite [Savio] over.” Defense: “Did Mary call her, or did you call her?” Pontarelli: “I believe my wife sent Nick over there to invite her over for dinner.” Defense: “And Nick came back and said there was no response?” Pontarelli: “Correct.”

In Session He was home Monday, March 1, but didn’t see or hear from Kathy. That evening, Drew called Mary, to see if she’d heard from Kathy. Pontrelli: “It was 9:30ish, something like that, in the evening.” Defense: “Did Mary go over to the house and knock on the door?” Pontarelli: “I don’t recall.” Defense: “Did you so anything to see if Kathy was home at that time?” Pontarelli: “No, I did not…all I know is that Mary received a call from Drew, stating he’d been trying to drop the kids off, wasn’t able to get a hold of Kathy, and had a locksmith coming over…he wanted Mary there, just in case of anything…when I showed up on the front porch, the locksmith was already working on the front door.”

In Session Defense: “Remember Drew saying that he didn’t want to go in there, in case something was wrong?” Pontarelli: “I don’t remember hearing that, but that was why.” Once again, Mr. Pontarelli describes how they entered the house. Pontarelli: “I believe Steve and Mary went in first; Nick was with me.” Defense: “Know who turned the light on?” Pontarelli: “No, I do not.”

In Session When he entered the house, Drew remained in the foyer. Pontarelli: “My intention was to go right to the garage…I went through the kitchen without seeing anything.” Defense: “There was a deadbolt on the garage?” Pontarelli: “Yes…it’s a latch lock… from the garage, there’s a key.” Defense: “Did you install that?” Pontarelli: “No.” Defense: “That door was locked, wasn’t it?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “And you saw her vehicle there?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “Did you open the door to see if she was in there?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “And you didn’t see her, did you?” Pontarelli: “No.” He says that his son, Nick, was with him at this time, adjacent to the mud room/laundry room. Defense: “You told us you heard a scream?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “That was your wife screaming?” Pontarelli: “Yes…I don’t remember what she said; I heard screaming.” Defense: “At the time you heard this, you were on your way to go up the stairs to the second floor?” Pontarelli: “I was still in the laundry area.” Defense: “You ran past Drew, and you, Drew, and Nick went up the stairs?” Pontarelli: “We ran up the stairway past Drew, and Drew came up behind us, like two or three steps.”

In Session Pontarelli: “As soon I went in to the master bedroom, Mary was there.” Defense: “And you made observation of Kathy in the tub?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “Drew appeared upset and shocked?” Pontarelli: “Seemed upset, yes.”

In Session Defense: “After the discovery of Kathy in the tub, you and Steve and Drew waited for the paramedics?” Pontarelli: “No…I stayed up there with Drew…they [the others] left.” He repeats that he heard Drew ask, ‘What am I gonna tell my kids?’”

In Session Defense: “Drew made a phone call?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “And he said, ‘They just found my ex-wife dead in the bathroom, and people are going to think I did it?’” Pontarelli: “Yes…he didn’t want to go into the house alone.” Defense: “Because he thought he’d be blamed if something was amiss?” Pontarelli: “Probably.”

In Session Defense: “Safe to say that you were a bit concerned about Kathy, too, before you went in the house?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “Because that was a bit unusual?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” The witness is then asked about a November, 2007 interview he had with two Illinois State Police troopers. Defense: “Remember telling them that you waited with Drew and Carcerano in the master bedroom until the paramedic arrived?” Pontarelli: “No, I do not remember that.” Defense: “Do you remember the paramedics coming?” Pontarelli: “I was already out of the house by then, but they came right after I left.” Defense: “Remember telling the troops that once the paramedics arrived you left the residence with Carcerano?” Pontarelli: “No, I don’t.”

In Session Defense: “During your conversation, you never mentioned to these troopers anything about any missing towels?” Pontarelli: “Not that I recall.” Defense: “You noticed there were no clothes on the floor?” Pontarelli: “Right.” Defense: “You don’t know what Kathy was doing before she went into that bathroom?” Pontarelli: “That’s right…don’t know.” Defense: “All you notice is there weren’t any clothes on the floor?” Pontarelli: “That’s right.” Defense: “You didn’t mention anything to them about a bath mat, either, like a rug?” Pontarelli: “I don’t recall what I said to them.”

In Session Defense: “The night it happened, you, Mary, and Steve went to Steve’s house?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “You went to his basement?” Pontarelli: “Right” Defense: “Everybody was upset and shocked?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “Before you left, you also spoke to the Bolingbrook police?” Pontarelli: “Did not.” Defense: “Did there come a time you spoke to the Bolingbrook police?” Pontarelli: “Did not.” Defense: “Remember an Ofc. Sud (?) from Bolingbrook being there that night?” Pontarelli: “No.” Defense: “Remember a Bolingbrook police car at Kathy’s house, before the state police arrived?” Pontarelli: “I think so, yes.” Defense: “Remember speaking to this Ofc. Sud (?) in the kitchen area of the house?” Pontarelli: “I don’t.”

In Session The witness repeats that he has no memory of speaking to a Bolingbrook police officer on the night in question (“I don’t remember”). Despite a lengthy series of questions about things he allegedly said that night, nothing jogs his memory. Prosecutor Patton objects, and the parties go to a sidebar.

In Session The sidebar ends. Once again, attorney Lopez asks Mr. Pontarelli about things he might have said to a Bolingbrook police officer on the night in question; again, Pontarelli says he has no memory of ever speaking to any such officer that night. “I don’t remember telling a Bolingbrook policeman anything; I don’t remember ever speaking to a Bolingbrook police officer.”

In Session Pontarelli acknowledges that in late November, 2007 he spoke to some Illinois State Police troopers. Defense: “The evening that Kathy was found, while you were in Steve’s basement, it was you, Steve, your wife, and Steve’s wife?” Pontarelli: “Yes… but they spoke to us separately… I remember two guys, but I don’t remember their names.” Defense: “And they asked you questions about Drew and Kathy?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “And you told them about the history of the divorce?” Pontarelli: “I’m sure I did…I’m not sure what they asked me.” Defense: “But you do remember these two detectives asking you numerous questions about the relationship between Kathy and Drew?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Defense: “And they were focusing on Drew?” Pontarelli: “No.” Defense: “And you were answering their questions?” Pontarelli: “To the best of my ability.”

In Session Defense: “You didn’t mention anything about the towel, about the soap scum, about not seeing any clothes?” Pontarelli: “I don’t know…whatever they put in their notes…I don’t remember; whatever their notes say.” Defense: “Would you like to see the notes, to refresh your memory?” Pontarelli: “Sure.” Pontarelli is given a copy of the police report in question.

In Session At this time, Judge Burmila decides to call the morning recess. Court is in recess for ten minutes, until 10:30 CT.

The hinky parts so far (to me):

1. Drew insisting on getting a locksmith. If you think there's something wrong/an emergency, you'd want to get in stat, which would mean breaking down the door.

2. Drew staying in the foyer and letting the 2 neighbors go upstairs to look for Kathleen. That just seems so obvious. He wanted/needed other people to find KS in the tub.

3. The state of the bathroom, the tub, no water, etc, etc.

4. Drew saying right away to someone that people would think he has something to do with KS's death. If you're innocent, why would your mind even go *there?* You'd be thinking drowning, not homicide!

I swear some of these guilty husbands are the ones who shine the red light of suspicion on themselves right from the get-go. They make comments and do things that normal innocent people just wouldn't!

The hinky parts so far (to me):

1. Drew insisting on getting a locksmith. If you think there's something wrong/an emergency, you'd want to get in stat, which would mean breaking down the door.

2. Drew staying in the foyer and letting the 2 neighbors go upstairs to look for Kathleen. That just seems so obvious. He wanted/needed other people to find KS in the tub.

3. The state of the bathroom, the tub, no water, etc, etc.

4. Drew saying right away to someone that people would think he has something to do with KS's death. If you're innocent, why would your mind even go *there?* You'd be thinking drowning, not homicide!

I swear some of these guilty husbands are the ones who shine the red light of suspicion on themselves right from the get-go. They make comments and do things that normal innocent people just wouldn't!

I agree. Also, I don't buy the "He was a cop so he didn't have to call the cop BS". Sounds like the defence in the Dr. Murray trial. He was a Doctor so he didn't have to call 911. He was 911.

Yeah. Right. Whatever.

I wish InSession would pair a prosecuting attorney with the defense lady attorney they have on. All she is doing is spinning all the testimony to favor the defense. I need some balance here.

Perhaps that's why I feel so negative about the outcome of this trial.

8m agrimm34 ‏@agrimm34
#DrewPeterson lawyer Joel Brodsky enters courthouse, talks to press. SA Glasgow walks past cameras

:seeya:

BBM: JMO and MOO, but I wish the judge would put a big GAG :silenced: order on him and the rest of the def team ...

:waitasec: Their smart a$$ remarks make me :furious::sick::furious::sick::furious:

:moo:

I wish InSession would pair a prosecuting attorney with the defense lady attorney they have on. All she is doing is spinning all the testimony to favor the defense. I need some balance here.

Perhaps that's why I feel so negative about the outcome of this trial.

I guess there is a positive side to not having access to a tv and relying on tweets. lol

Who are the 2 covering the case on InSession? Where's Vinnie?:waitasec:

In Session Judge Burmila has just returned to the bench. He sends for the jury and the witness.

They have the judge, Christy, and the lady defense attorney. Sorry, don't have their names because I'm in and out on the coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GonzoToxic