CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the issue of blood: this would not be a problem if the killer lived on a rural property or a house with an automatic garage (especially if they lived alone), or if their spouse was away - or if they had a spouse or mother who would help them conceal the crime. Especially if they were not an immediate suspect.

Organized/Disorganized: the person took a lot of risks cf. the front door. Moving the body to mess up the crime scene would not be worth the risk especially with the blood on the front step - of course maybe they didn't notice that or when they did it was too late. As someone suggested maybe they wanted to visit the body but I doubt it given the nature of the crime which doesn't seem necessarily premeditated. It is almost as if they were trying to hide the crime from themselves.

I am not sure why they are focusing so much on Orangeville. She moved there recently I would be looking at her life before Orangeville. I understand that the rural road is an odd place but there are tons of these roads in Ontario and he could easily have just driven till he thought he was far enough away. The fact that he didn't go bit further as locals said (I am guessing they mean to the swamp?) suggests he may NOT know the area.

The reason for leaving her job is interesting. No disrespect intended but it is surely an aggregious mistake to alter a doctor's dosage? It would be interesting to know more about her problems at that hospital. Her mother linked her recent upsets to the job did she not? Were there other problems at work and did her uncharacteristic (it would have to be) decision to change the dosage come as a small act of rebellion that had a deeper cause? After the amazing service to nursing and helping people in terrible pain evident in her career this does seem like going over the edge a bit?

Two big things bother me about this case:

- how did the killer get away covered in blood?/was he covered in blood?/why did he drive her car away which was also blood-stained?/how did no one see him?

- and changing a doctor's orders is really a no-no......why would Sonia do that......even IF she thought the doctor was wrong?

:moo:

I don't recall if we have a separate thread for Shelley Loder, so will post this here. At the FB page for Creative Photography by Shelley Lorraine, (under "Recent Posts by Others" click "See All") a poster says they have been trying to get in touch with Shelley or Glen wrt engagement pics taken "a few weeks before Shelley was attacked". In that poster's FB profile pic with beau/husband, IMO, he is eerily similar to the perp sketch in Shelley's case (incl reddish brown hair). Back to Shelley's page, and click on Photos>Engagement ... the last few pics in that album seem like they could possibly be of the same engaged couple ?? (except darker hair and different style).

ETA: Sorry, just found the thread for SL. Here is the perp sketch:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Canada - Shelley Loder beaten and left for Dead, Slowly recovering

Sillybilly, I sent you a PM today. If you didn't receive it, let me know. (I can't find a copy in my sent-mail folder.)

I don't recall if we have a separate thread for Shelley Loder, so will post this here. At the FB page for Creative Photography by Shelley Lorraine, (under "Recent Posts by Others" click "See All") a poster says they have been trying to get in touch with Shelley or Glen wrt engagement pics taken "a few weeks before Shelley was attacked". In that poster's FB profile pic with beau/husband, IMO, he is eerily similar to the perp sketch in Shelley's case (incl reddish brown hair). Back to Shelley's page, and click on Photos>Engagement ... the last few pics in that album seem like they could possibly be of the same engaged couple ?? (except darker hair and different style).

ETA: Sorry, just found the thread for SL. Here is the perp sketch:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Canada - Shelley Loder beaten and left for Dead, Slowly recovering

sillybilly - I'm not sure I understand AND I don't do FB!

Are you saying:

- someone had wedding photos taken by Shelley

- that someone looks very much like our red-headed sketch guy

Now, if so.......does FB:

- give the name of the guy

- has anyone notified LE about the look-alike

- are you able to LINK the FB thing to here

:tyou:

sillybilly - I'm not sure I understand AND I don't do FB!

Are you saying:

- someone had wedding photos taken by Shelley

- that someone looks very much like our red-headed sketch guy

Now, if so.......does FB:

- give the name of the guy

- has anyone notified LE about the look-alike

- are you able to LINK the FB thing to here

:tyou:

Engagement photos done a few weeks prior to the attack on SL and yes, IMO looks very much like sketch. Don't have his name, but the pic is on wife/gf's FB account which is mostly private. I simply choose not to link in case it's nothing but a young couple in love. Am working on a tip to LE but want to do a bit more rummaging to see if i can find anything else.

HTH

Chorely 8: Thanks for bringing up the topic of her last nursing job. I too wondered why she would change the dosage on her own. It may have been an innocent thing, such as the patient felt that the dosage was too strong- especially if it was a painkiller. I would hope that Sonia herself would have recorded it.

The problem of blood on clothing, as suggested by Chorley8, makes sense to me.
I have often wondered if 1. He does not have a mate (no one to report to)
2. He lived in a rural area, and could have easily burned his boots and clothing.
3. He was either on vacation at the time, so did not miss work.
4. /or he was self-employed.
Therefore he was not absent from work on the Monday.
Increase alcohol use. Perhaps he stopped going to his regular liquor outlets and went out of his way to go to another one. OR he was never a heavy drinker to begin with.
One would think that he would have at least have scratches on his body, or marks on his arms from the assault. So I imagine that he had a place to nurse his "wounds" without being seen by anyone. (Lived alone - with no job to report to)

Does this make sense?

1. As SM suggested here leaves his car where SV's was found walks to her house. She knows him actually asks him not to park right at her house due to nosey neighbours etc. This is either a date, someone she knows or someone she needs to have a discussion with concerning her previous work issues.
2. Something happens go goes wrong he kills SV at this point he thinks he might be able to have her just be missing.
3. Wisely or unwisely he decides he needs to get rid of the body first - her car is there he goes looking for a place to dump her body even temporarily. At this point he is probably planning to steal her car as well at least once he realizes there is blood in the car. Again, if he has a rural property this would be no problem. Is planning to clean up the crime scene.
4. Drives back to the house to try and clean up but either it is getting light or neighbours are around, something spooks him. Panics or rationally decides he can't go back in the house.
5. Drives her car to where his is parked (as SM suggested here) takes off.

The most likely reason for moving the body is that he still thinks he can get away with the crime.

The decision to move her body first probably isn't the best one he can make but, if he is horrified at what he has done makes some sense. He could be thinking at this point that he can get back in the house, and say forge an e-mail or a note typed on a computer saying that she has decided to end her life or move away, given her life problems at the time if police were called they might assume this is what happened as long as the house was neat and tidy. Of course it is next to impossible to clean up a crime scene completely BUT police might not even go this route of investigating if the house was neat and they had some indication of suicide or leaving of her own accord.

It would be interesting to know what the neighbour meant by a ruckus. A verbal fight going on for half an hour or simply 30 seconds of commotion are very different things.

I am still thinking of that hospital could she have had a relationship or dalliance with a married doctor or technician or had someone attracted to her that she was not interested in but I lean to the first part of this- her act of subordination at the hospital is related to this at some emotional level. She threatens to expose the relationship.....

- how did the killer get away covered in blood?/was he covered in blood?/why did he drive her car away which was also blood-stained?/how did no one see him?

- and changing a doctor's orders is really a no-no......why would Sonia do that......even IF she thought the doctor was wrong?

Luck. I can't think of any other possible reason especially if this occurred deep in the night. Nobody saw him simple as that. As with AG's case we are stumped but we don't know something the police DO know, the actual injuries the women suffered so it is tough to assess. I don't see a lot of blood on the car in the photo it wouldn't be seen at night easily. It is a massive risk he takes but it is worth it if he is at that point trying to get away with it.

It would be interesting to know how much traffic there is typically late in the night there if someone lives around there and drives maybe they can tell us. I would guess the streets could be almost deserted. I think he miscalculates and dawn arrives a bit earlier than he expected so when he gets back to the house he feels he can't go back in.

Although we do not know if SV was sexually assaulted, thinking about how close these recent attacks are to hospitals downtown ( and the composite posted in SL case)

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/news/local/article/222330
Thomas Reardon, 34, of Toronto, is wanted for three counts of sexual assault.

He is describes as white, five feet nine inches tall, 190 pounds, with blond, mohawk-style hair and blue eyes. He is known to ride a bicycle.

Police believe there may be more victims.

If you can help, call police at 416-808-7474 Crime Stoppers at 416-222-TIPS (8477) to remain anonymous

This is my possible scenario.

Parked his car at Greenhawks. walked over to her place from the back.
Waited in bushes until her lights went out.
Slipped into her home via patio doors
Took off his boots, so as not to be heard.
Walked upstairs, attacked her in the bedroom while she slept.
Used quile and sheet to drag her to the front door.
Went to the back of her home and carried his boots to the front door
Put his boots on - checked through windows to see if all the surrounding lights were out at neighbouring homes.
We don't know if her car was in the garage or not -
Somehow he knew where she kept her car keyes,

Carried, and dragged her to body to the car.
Drove to Beechgrove side road, on low beam
Placed her remains in the area where she was found
Turned the car around, and on the way back realized that he had to stop and get rid of comforter and sheet. - So threw that out on the way back to Orangeville.
Parked her car at Greenhawkes - got into his own vehicle and drove away.
Later, he disposed his clothing, and weapon.
(No fingerprints mentioned - police are not asking for prints from 700 men, just dna) so he probably wore gloves.
His dna was found in her home (according to last update). Perhaps he was cut by his own weapon, or scratched. (blood)
Boot print found at her home, according to last update I think if you look at the pictures you will find a blue container had been placed over the step by forensics.
That step could have been the boot print.
He carried on as usual as though nothing has happened.
Police said "he is a cold blooded killer", which to my mind, means that he went there to do her harm.Reason for removing her body? Knew that they would be focusing on finding her, wanted time to get away. Knew the cops schedule on long week ends, and felt confident that he would not be stopped. Police have recently started patrolling back roads. Didn't do much of it before.
so felt confident that no one would see him.
No panic here - just reasonably calm and collected. Made the decision to do this over a short period of time. If he had thought it through even more, he would have disposed of her body in a place where she would never be found, but wanted to do this as quickly as possible.
And so far, it has worked.
Very sad, what a loss (Sonia)

Motive? Unknown by us.

DW

Bloodied clothing could be hidden under a car mechanic's (or other workman's uniform) of one piece coveralls. In the summertime, (wise) motorcyclists would be fully clad (and disguised) in helmet, boots, long pants, jacket , gloves ect. and not look out of place.

A motor bike would be kind of loud at that time of night (behind gh) and could draw attention.
A car or a truck wouldn't tho.
???
Who knows ay??

dw

Yes I think it is a major no-no. So interesting she got a job so soon after.

It would be interesting to know more about the possible legal case. Just continuing with this scenario which I realize does not match the FBI profile (and yes that wedding picture and the composite in the SL case look very much alike): I am thinking SV pushed back at someone in the hospital when being disciplined - had a scoop on someone and was prepared to use it. Some people have a LOT to lose.

Yes I think it is a major no-no. So interesting she got a job so soon after.

It would be interesting to know more about the possible legal case. Just continuing with this scenario which I realize does not match the FBI profile (and yes that wedding picture and the composite in the SL case look very much alike): I am thinking SV pushed back at someone in the hospital when being disciplined - had a scoop on someone and was prepared to use it. Some people have a LOT to lose.

Agreed that changing a doctor's orders is a biggy. Can't help but ponder her mom's reference to wanting to hire a lawyer but Sonia wouldn't agree. What was so serious that mom felt Sonia needed a lawyer? And why would Sonia feel she didn't? Perhaps because she was a person who believed the truth will out, and that her simple honesty was all that was needed?

People have workplace issues all the time without the need for legal intervention or representation. Was there in fact a medmal lawsuit looming against the doctor's and hospital? Is it possible that Sonia was being made a scapegoat for an error made by someone else? A dead person can't defend themselves against claims made by others.

Obviously spec, but just sayin'

I have personal experience with medmal causing death ... and with doctors who lie through their teeth to cover their butts. Not all, mind you ... but they do exist.

Fortunately Sonia's mom will be able to shed light on this for LE.

JMO

Quoted from sillybilly:

<<< Agreed that changing a doctor's orders is a biggy. Can't help but ponder her mom's reference to wanting to hire a lawyer but Sonia wouldn't agree. What was so serious that mom felt Sonia needed a lawyer? And why would Sonia feel she didn't? Perhaps because she was a person who believed the truth will out, and that her simple honesty was all that was needed? >>>

Merely my humble opinion on the topic, so here goes:

- altering a doctor's orders/meds is a HUGE NO-NO

- perhaps SV's mom thought that SV needed a lawyer in order to counteract any actions the hospital/the doctor might take against her

- perhaps SV was adamant that HER meds directions were CORRECT while the doctor was indeed incorrect (even so......one NEVER changes a doctor's orders) :what:

- I firmly believe that the the mother wanting a lawyer for SV was indeed work-related/the doctors' meds related

Presumably Sonia was a member of the nurses' union who could have defended her in routine issues:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...fVMiaC&sig=AHIEtbS3cQ350VZhnLe57wpmJWLPLACUpg

OK, thanks! :tyou: But......just to play 'devils advocate' here for a minute......there's a teachers' union and doctors are members of the CMA. IF a teacher or doctor REALLY pulls a No-No, then action must be taken against them. Same with the police......if a police officer shoots his gun, the SIU is called in immediately.

That having been said, I wonder IF the nurses union was trying to place some 'punishment' on SV for changing the doctors orders. OR.....at least writing a notation in her file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members