CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still searching for a link about the witness opening the backpack and finding a water bottle with her name on it and came across this:

"Authorities did find some new items on Oct. 8 night, however they cannot confirm if they are directly tied to Jessica. The only item authorities are confirming is Jessica's is the backpack found on Sunday. Materasso reiterated they are being extremely diligent in their search efforts."

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/article/230312/288/Body-found-during-search-for-missing-Colo-girl

I wasn't aware they may have found more on the 8th, and further... I wasn't aware that they hadn't at that time confirmed (to the public) that the water bottle the witness found had indeed belonged to Jessica. I wonder now if they've confirmed that at all? Perhaps it wasn't hers, but had her name on it?

Your all going to think I am crazy but my kids waited for the bus down the block in the dark for High school.Everyday I would be watching thru the blinds to make sure no one tried to hurt them.Look what happened to Sierra LaMar,no way was I taking a chance with my children.Of course I was out there every morning from kindergarten on up.My kids are now 28 and 30. I had a cousin abducted and murdered so I knew all about the monsters that look like everyone else.Many other parents from kindergarten on some shut the door and went back to sleep or had to leave for work, I would always watch for those kids too.

Thank you, mikeysmommom, because maybe you watched one of mine. I was one of those who had to go to work. Now they are in their 40s and with what I know now, I worry about their children.

A bit OT, but have you heard about the Boy Scouts brouhaha today? Apparently files have been released today, documenting a history of 1,247 men who were accused of abuse between 1965 and 1985, often with multiple victims ~ triggering an apology from Perry, the president of BSA.

Is there anywhere, out of parents' sight, that the children are still safe?

Yes,I think it's this attempted abduction I mentioned awhile back they want more information on.

http://kdvr.com/2012/05/30/jogger-escapes-from-attempted-kidnapping-near-westminster-lake/

If this is the same guy who did something to Jessica, his victim type has changed or he was test driving with his preference and realized he could not carry out the plan. An organized killer plans what he is going to do, fantasizes what he wants to but usually the victim is a victim of opportunity. The plan is going to happen, when is the question. What made this day the right day? Its the key to who this person is imho. Somehow he managed to find a way to have everything fall into place to carry it out.

He will plan his offense before the opportunity arises often for weeks, months, and even years before acting.

*** MODS not sure if I can link this, if its not appropriate, please delete or let me know and I will delete. Article is pretty detailed.*****

http://www.helium.com/items/666219-organized-versus-disorganized-serial-killers

Exactly. He could have easily driven up into the foothills. Makes no sense to me.
-----------------

IMO, very few people would notice a vehicle pulled off on the side of the road in a rural area during the mid-early hours of the morning, like 2-4 a.m.

There would be only coyotes and other creatures to witness someone placing a bag and/or remains at the recovery site.

izzyblizzy, due to the dismemberment, size & weight of the torso, the location which is frequented by people, as opposed to the many places the body could have been disposed of, never to be found. Imo, the remains were meant to be located, meant to taunt, while terrorizing the community..
Psychopaths have a reason for everything they say and everything they do...

Anatomy Segment Weight
Mean Segment Weights

http://www.exrx.net/Kinesiology/Segments.html

According to our info from the photo, imo, the remains would have weighed less than 40lbs.

I personally agree with all those theories. Just was saying alternative theories that people have posited (i.e. he didn't have a car that would reliably make up into the foothills/mountains are also a possibility)

I'm still searching for a link about the witness opening the backpack and finding a water bottle with her name on it and came across this:

"Authorities did find some new items on Oct. 8 night, however they cannot confirm if they are directly tied to Jessica. The only item authorities are confirming is Jessica's is the backpack found on Sunday. Materasso reiterated they are being extremely diligent in their search efforts."

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/article/230312/288/Body-found-during-search-for-missing-Colo-girl

I wasn't aware they may have found more on the 8th, and further... I wasn't aware that they hadn't at that time confirmed (to the public) that the water bottle the witness found had indeed belonged to Jessica. I wonder now if they've confirmed that at all? Perhaps it wasn't hers, but had her name on it?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/15/jessica-ridgeway-case-inv_n_1966667.html

I've never linked here before so someone let me know if it's ok. Take a look at the link here. Good timeline.

This is the case PD think may be related: http://kwgn.com/2012/05/30/jogger-escapes-from-attempted-kidnapping-near-westminster-lake/

http://kwgn.com/2012/05/30/jogger-escapes-from-attempted-kidnapping-near-westminster-lake/

A 22-year-old woman was jogging along a trail near Ketner Lake in Westminster Monday afternoon when a man grabbed her from behind and tried to put a chemical-soaked rag over her mouth, police said this afternoon.

The woman was able to fight herself free, run away and quickly call 911 on her cell phone, police said.

The assault happened at about 1:15 p.m.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Where is it mentioned that they think it might be related to Jessica's case?

Also - someone upthread was wondering if LE put the backpack into the paperbag, or if someone other than LE did this... I hope this will clear it up:

"When police arrived, the backpack was placed in a large paper bag to protect it for later analysis."

Read more: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/nation...irl-shifts-after-backpack-found#ixzz29hIkJRDL

Yes! So iow the police put it in the paper bag to preserve it. It was not found that way.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

My problem at the moment is that I feel like my ideas are getting too close to sounding like I'm accusing somebody in particular, but I'm sure I have no idea what I'm talking about! I just wanted to expand on things anyway, I hope I'm not crossing any lines since I have no idea who lived in the house I'm discussing.

Anyway!... I had mentioned earlier that I wondered if the guy had lived in the area where the backpack was found, and moved within the past 6 months or so to the area where she was abducted. While looking at the area tonight, I realized that there was a home less than 2 blocks from where it was found that had been sold in May (less than 5 months between the sale and the abduction). Since I have no idea who lived there before it was sold, I also have no way of knowing if he/they happened to move to Jessica's neighborhood after the sale. I'm sure there are many other homes in the area that were sold during that general time period, but I just thought it was interesting that this one appears to be just over a block from where the BP was left.

Where is it mentioned that they think it might be related to Jessica's case?

Official Westminster PD facebook page:

Westminster PD
4:38pm (4 minutes ago)
Date – October 18, 2012

In an attempt to uncover any lead that may help identify the individual responsible for the abduction and subsequent murder of Jessica Ridgeway; authorities are asking the community to try and remember anything that was suspicious or out of place near the Ketner Lake Open Space during the Memorial Day holiday weekend. Due to the time frame and geographic proximity of Jessica’s disappearance and the attempted abduction near the Ketner Lake Open Space, police are trying to determine if there is any connection between the two cases. The suspect from the attempted abduction at Ketner Lake on May 28, 2012 was described as follows:

• Light skinned male
• 18 – 30’s (or someone who’s appearance with a ball cap may look that age)
• Brown hair
• Medium build
• 5’06” to 5’08” (Height can vary above or below these approximations)

Westminster police and assisting law enforcement agencies have been unable to associate any vehicle in either of these incidents. Several metro area law enforcement jurisdictions are working other cases of attempted abductions and various vehicle or suspect descriptions have been provided. In regards to Westminster’s cases, we only have the above description to provide.

Working with the FBI and the Behavioral Analysis Unit we are asking the public to call us if anyone around you changed their behavior, acted unusual, failed to show up for a family activity or other change that was unusual. We are specifically looking for these behavior changes on October 5, 2012 and days after Jessica’s disappearance and the Memorial Day weekend.

Tips can be given to the Westminster Police Department tip center by calling 303-658-4336 or by sending an email to: PDamberalert@cityofwestminster.us

Do you guys know of a site that allows for one to run a free license plate check? I googled, but am not afraid to click and get a computer virus, so thought I'd ask if there's a site you guys have experience using. Thank you.

I do not believe so -- at least in California - the law has been in place for years to prohibit anyone besides LE to obtain that information.

I'm wondering if there might be a dna link between the Ketner Lake attempt (is it possible they could have collected some touch dna from the victim?) and something they found on Jessica or her bookbag. :dunno: Just seems to me they prolly have something a bit more substantial than location to release this statement/request for assistance.

I can answer this from personal experience. My friend Tina Harmon was abducted, raped, and murdered in the 80s from my tiny little town. The guy who did it was serial killer Robert Buell. He also kidnapped and murdered another child, Krista Lee Harrison (11). He wasn't caught , however, until he kidnapped a woman and had her handcuffed to his bed (she ran out into the street naked and screaming). He was also tied to at least two other rapes and kidnaps of women. Scariest part: the guy was a city of Akron planner. And yes, he also drove around in a van, which was his ultimate undoing as carpet fibers were tied to both cases.

Robert was never officially charged with Tina's murder because he was sentenced to death for Krista Lee Harrison's murder. They have since, however, matched the dna (it was not available back then).

Robert's last meal was an olive pit so he could grow into a tree. nice. The murder of my friend changed my life (and lives of all the kids I grew up with) forever.

Sorry to go off on a tangent but yes, it does happen re: preying on adults and children. As to if it is rare or not... idk.

Nurse, thank you for sharing. (((Hugs)))

I'm wondering if there might be a dna link between the Ketner Lake attempt (is it possible they could have collected some touch dna from the victim?) and something they found on Jessica or her bookbag. :dunno: Just seems to me they prolly have something a bit more substantial than location to release this statement/request for assistance.

DNA from under the fingernails or blood from fighting the attacker off? Could be possible IMHO.

Kelly

. . . and if LE suspects that these two acts are related, it explains why they think the perp is local.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalKnowledge