IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know if anyone posted this or not, it may have been and some how i missed it. If so my appologies for double posting.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...ns-deaths-will-be-kept-confidential?Frontpage

Authorities will keep secret for an undetermined amount of time the cause of death of two northeast Iowa cousins whose bodies were found in a park in December, officials said Wednesday.

In addition, authorities do not have immediate plans to release other information related to the cousins’ deaths.

Details of when and how the cousins were killed will remain confidential as the investigation into their deaths continues, Evansdale Police Chief Kent Smock said Wednesday.

“Part of that is, the only people that are going to know this information are the people who are responsible,” Smock said. “At least until somebody is arrested and we’re comfortable with that, that’s information we’ll keep confidential.”

Family members have said they were told by law enforcement officials that the girls most likely were killed within a few days of their disappearance, but authorities have declined to say whether that is the case.

The girls’ bodies have not yet been released to their families, officials said.

Collins’ parents have said they do not want to know how their daughter died. Other family members said they do want that information.

The cause and manner of death are considered public information under Iowa’s open-records law, “unless disclosure would jeopardize an investigation or pose a clear and present danger to the public safety or the safety of an individual.”

Artzy
Thank you so much for the article. These poor parents......their daughters were were missing for months, found murdered and yet the parent can't bury their little ones. What a horrific nightmare. IMO

No mention of the bikes being found at 2:00 either. He only confirmed the corn belt auction video. Very interesting. I think the girls were seen after that video, but LE isn't putting it out there. Just my opinion, though.

When the girls first disappeared I remember us going round and round about the video possibly NOT being the last sighting. I think you're right Ms. P. moo

I've tried to tell you all that LE will withhold info and even twist info but nobody wanted to listen to what I had to say. I was LE, now retired, and my son is a Deputy Sheriff but everybody thought I didn't know what I was talking about. Its just like my son making the statement that LE could have been behind this so called rift in the family to where there was two separate celebrations of life so it gave them a chance for a second look at who showed up. Sorry for the rant, but it just proved my point.
I have been going back and reading through stuff trying to see what youmean. It sounds like a good theory but i am confused on what you mean " that LE is behind it" please explain :))

I'm throwing out all of the times other than what he confirmed in the email and starting over.

Also of note...Smock didn't make any adjustments on the time of the video either even though it was reportedly 8 minutes off.

I also found interesting he said "there is a video of 2 girls riding bicycles". He doesn't even confirm it's OUR girls!

Now, we know we are to assume it is...but I find it strange that basically the ONLY thing they are willing to confirm solidly is Grandma's time and the approx time the bikes were found.

Everything else is a guesstimate.:waitasec:

Unless he knows the place is vacant when he goes there with the girls he
takes the risk of running into someone, or someone arriving while he is
there ... only one road in as I understand it ... he's already done one
abduction in broad daylight, why then go to a cul de sac !? Why THIS
place? Just dump the bodies in a ditch or drive to another State or
someplace far-far away ... drive to Lake Michigan! ? Why HERE?

He has boxed himself in when he choses to go to that place. Why even
take the chance?

UNLESS!... the girls knew him and they went with him willingly to 7 Brigdes?
Met him at the grocery (next post below) ? Then there is no risk, just a lot
of explaining to do if he has to take them back to town ... then its not an
abduction but an "outing"!.
This is the best post so far. I am not so sure about the grocery store but i agree all the way of this 7 bridges being way to risky.

I dont know if anyone posted this or not, it may have been and some how i missed it. If so my appologies for double posting.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...ns-deaths-will-be-kept-confidential?Frontpage

Authorities will keep secret for an undetermined amount of time the cause of death of two northeast Iowa cousins whose bodies were found in a park in December, officials said Wednesday.

In addition, authorities do not have immediate plans to release other information related to the cousins’ deaths.

Details of when and how the cousins were killed will remain confidential as the investigation into their deaths continues, Evansdale Police Chief Kent Smock said Wednesday.

"Part of that is, the only people that are going to know this information are the people who are responsible,” Smock said. “At least until somebody is arrested and we’re comfortable with that, that’s information we’ll keep confidential.”

Family members have said they were told by law enforcement officials that the girls most likely were killed within a few days of their disappearance, but authorities have declined to say whether that is the case.

The girls’ bodies have not yet been released to their families, officials said.

Collins’ parents have said they do not want to know how their daughter died. Other family members said they do want that information.

The cause and manner of death are considered public information under Iowa’s open-records law, “unless disclosure would jeopardize an investigation or pose a clear and present danger to the public safety or the safety of an individual.”

Artzy

Soooo...given this report, I guess there IS a possibility that the perp/perps did NOT go directly from the abduction site directly to 7 bridges. Maybe there is something to say for the comments about 7 bridges being a dumping site?

I know in the first few days it seemed (to me) like LE seemed somewhat confident the girls were still alive. Was it ONLY because they hadn't found them? Or were there other small clues that indicated there wasn't a forced abduction? We don't know...

I just can't stomach the thought of someone keeping them alive and then killing them days later but it certainly is a possibility that this person had time to find a place to dispose of their bodies.

And the main reason I feel there is some sort of truth behind the "days" comment is that as a mother I would much prefer to believe my child was killed immediately with little suffering. The family stated that LE told them they were likely killed within days...but had LE stated hours I would think they would have stated hours also in an effort comfort themselves to know their killing was swift.

Horrible...absolutely horrible for this family.

I've tried to tell you all that LE will withhold info and even twist info but nobody wanted to listen to what I had to say. I was LE, now retired, and my son is a Deputy Sheriff but everybody thought I didn't know what I was talking about. Its just like my son making the statement that LE could have been behind this so called rift in the family to where there was two separate celebrations of life so it gave them a chance for a second look at who showed up. Sorry for the rant, but it just proved my point.

Huh??:waitasec:

I, for one, don't recall saying LE doesn't withhold information, obviously they can't tell us everything. And we have had many conversations about what LE knows vs. what they are telling the public. Many of us have stated repeatedly that LE knows much more information than they have released, and we have discussed reasons for LE withholding that info. So your comments are surprising to me.

This isn't a game or contest to prove who is right or wrong. This attitude of "told you so" seems jarring to me considering two little girls are dead, and so many people are grieving. JMO

The email came after I went and personally talked to him about helping with all the accusations online about my dad. He was never short with me, he actually gave me all the time I needed to discuss it, he mentioned timing can be off for so many reasons, from a person remembering a tv show being on at that time, or a videos time being off, he says there could be many reasons.

The email came after I went and personally talked to him about helping with all the accusations online about my dad. He was never short with me, he actually gave me all the time I needed to discuss it, he mentioned timing can be off for so many reasons, from a person remembering a tv show being on at that time, or a videos time being off, he says there could be many reasons.

Do you mind me asking what you mean by "helping with all the accusations online about my dad"?

What were you looking for LE to do?

Lets put it this way, if you keep the timeline vague, without nailing down specific times, it may encourage someone to come forward. If you throw out specific times all over the place, people who may have seen something may not come forward thinking they must be mistaken because it doesn't jibe with the timeline LE is giving. We can't even nail down the route the girls took because of all of the different times and places thrown out there.

True but we know that Grandma went searching around 12:30 right? I think I remember her stating where she went first and the route she took and the girls were not to be seen. So we know where they were not.

I'm on your side 1000%!!

[/B]

True but we know that Grandma went searching around 12:30 right? I think I remember her stating where she went first and the route she took and the girls were not to be seen. So we know where they were not.

We know that Grandma and the girls were not at the same place at the same time, but that doesn't actually tell us which route they may have taken. I lost my wife in the grocery store the other day and even though I circled the place and looked up and down every aisle multiple times, I never saw her once. She was in the store the whole time.

380 runs adjacent to Meyers Lake, if these photos and Google maps are correct.

Couldnt an abductor been on 380 with the girls in mere minutes?

Is there a nearby exit off 380 that would take the perp north(?) to
7-Bridges?

If the girls were held a time, then taken to 7-Bridges, and the exit route from Evanadale is
380 ... where does the perp go in the meantime? Yes I know this is an abstraction, but
am tossing it out for future reference should that develop. Once on 380 a person could have
been miles away very quickly, only to return later ... Ive never heard 380 even mentioned?

Sorry if this has already been answered, but no, they would not have been on 380 in mere minutes, with the construction going on. The eastbound lane was closed, so the westbound lane was both east/west, and was gridlocked a lot of the time. Everyone around here went out of their way to avoid that area at certain times of the day. The only way they could have gotten away quickly via 380/20 would be to go west from River Forest Road. The eastbound onramp was closed, and it would not have been easy to get on the interstate from the next exit - Elk Run Road. The fastest way to get out of town toward 7 bridges would probably have been Lafayette or Dubuque Road.

Thanks for finding the aerials of Meyers Lake again, Otto.

I thought they had said it was dug for 380. I can't be sure then, it was before I can remember or before I was born but I know it wasn't altered this past summer at all.
In my original question, I did not mean to imply that it had been modified in the work this last summer. Sorry about your confusion.

Couldnt an abductor been on 380 with the girls in mere minutes?

Is there a nearby exit off 380 that would take the perp north(?) to
7-Bridges?
There are two(?) exits that lead directly to Evansdale, one to River Forest Road and one to the east side of town. I'm trying to remember just how far east and west along 380 the road construction ran when I drove through going to my hometown and then back again for a Fourth of July trip.

I do remember that traffic was only slow in ONE direction, eastbound. The abductor could have grabbed the girls, navigated his way to an exit, and then headed west for wherever, though that would have taken him away from Seven Bridges.

EDIT: I see Squeeze beat me to a reply. But our comments seem to agree.

Do I need to get verified too?

Thank you, SierraShelby & Skylar, for taking time to become Verified Insiders on this case! :great:

I'm still getting caught up from last night, but I'm looking forward to any information you can provide!

:welcome5:

We know that Grandma and the girls were not at the same place at the same time, but that doesn't actually tell us which route they may have taken. I lost my wife in the grocery store the other day and even though I circled the place and looked up and down every aisle multiple times, I never saw her once. She was in the store the whole time.

I think grocery stores are designed to make spouses seem to disappear into thin air. I lose mine all the time when we go grocery shopping.

Morning all. I am wearing a new username so you may not recognize me right away. Heading back to read what I've missed. Bear with me, flu running rampant through my house. Not firing non all clylinders yet.

Thanks for finding the aerials of Meyers Lake again, Otto.

In my original question, I did not mean to imply that it had been modified in the work this last summer. Sorry about your confusion.

There are two(?) exits that lead directly to Evansdale, one to River Forest Road and one to the east side of town. I'm trying to remember just how far east and west along 380 the road construction ran when I drove through going to my hometown and then back again for a Fourth of July trip.

I do remember that traffic was only slow in ONE direction, eastbound. The abductor could have grabbed the girls, navigated his way to an exit, and then headed west for wherever, though that would have taken him away from Seven Bridges.

EDIT: I see Squeeze beat me to a reply. But our comments seem to agree.

I posed this question a while ago - Click on May-Fall 2012

Can anyone verify that the exit/enter ramps were open to River Forest road on July 13 as indicated by the above map?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lockett