NY NY - Sylvia Lwowski, 22, Staten Island, 6 Sept 1975 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wondered if "depressed" could have been thrown in there because they knew she had reportedly just had an argument...

I don't believe so. Since Mother is at precinct reporting her missing, I believe the clothing described, what was in her possession such as glasses, ring, handbag, etc., as well as the description of her mental state, would be what the Mother last observed upon her daughter leaving the home.

To use term Depression implies, IMO, she noticed more than a typical sadness, for a few days.

I wondered if "depressed" could have been thrown in there because they knew she had reportedly just had an argument...

Yes-that is what I wondered, too-if the mother spoke English as a second language, might she think that depressed meant sad, and not necessarily clinically depressed? Or was she saying that Sylvia was truly depressed?

This is the part that is so hard to understand
When someone is missing aren't all of the people close to her investigated to some degree?

You would certainly think so-what are the odds that they just didn't do anything with it? A beautiful girl, either finished or almost finished with her college degree, and almost out of her parents' house-what could have driven her to leave and never come back, if this is what she did? She had a fiance who presumably spent a bundle on an engagement ring...we need more details on these two

If Mother described to LE something along the lines of "She has been sad for the last week or for ______ amount of days," that may have been listed as depression because of the length of time she gave them.

Are you thinking an investiagtion was done but not publicized?

ohhhhhhhh I see you are adding to what we know (I am slow at times)

I see the thought was an error, and yet I also think it's possible. Could something have been handled informally in deference to their position on publicity? I think it's fair to say we don't know.

I respect your thoughts. We will agree to disagree. The police report itself is - if nothing else - at least a yellow flag. The terms of her disappearance appear to be worthy of an honorable pursuit - for Sylvia's sake - and for the benefit of justice.

I can see the Jaycee Dugard story - that angle.

Collectively, there exists a sufficient presence of error here. Would you hire a candidate who fills out a missing persons report the likes of what we see in this case? The report is unacceptable. Any motion to dismiss the merits of looking into this case rests on a weak, parallel plane to the documented effort.

I agree - it is not right to point the finger. However, anyone close to Sylvia, at the time of her disappearance, cannot claim to be exempt from inquiry.

"Fair is fair."
--Billie Jean Davey

The Legend of Billie Jean (1985)

G - bbm: Would you fill out your thoughts more, on this? -Trying to translate! Is it a generalization or more specific? The report could well be unacceptable. Are there other "missing persons police reports" that we could see for comparison example?

Originally Posted by Dushi
Sylvia Alice Lwowski goes out for an evening with her Fiance around 5:30 pm, Sept 6, 1975
She never returns home
She was last seen at approximately 6 PM, by her Fiance as she was running away from the car after a disagreement
Her parents were informed around 10:30PM
Mother reported her missing, police report dated Sept 7,1975
Is there anything else?
This info is available on police report, NY Missing But not Forgotten, other places?

Yes...
Discrepancies exist between the Police Report and the more recent info made available and entered on June 2010 NamUs re:
The date and time Sylvia was last seen
IF it is an error, it should be corrected.

Per Police Report:
Publicity Desired: No
Depressed

Can also add PR details about what she was wearing/had with her.

And from the engagement announcement, the schools she attended (which may, to someone, shed light on a circle of friends):
Tottenville HS
Wagner College bio major
Alpha Tau Mu musical sorority
Tau Beta Sigma national band society

If Mother described to LE something along the lines of "She has been sad for the last week or for ______ amount of days," that may have been listed as depression because of the length of time she gave them.

Can you really see the NYPD of the 1970s having that conversation? JMO, but I think they would have distanced themselves from that. And perhaps wisely so: They are not qualified to weigh symptoms, right? My parents are from the same generation as SL's mom, and are 2nd generation (v. immigrants), and still, when they say "depressed," they don't mean something clinical. If we are only tallying facts, we have to include that bc it's on the report, but I don't think we can say with any certainty what it means.

The police report I have seen is one page. Is that Page 1. of ??? Is that all that is in the file? Or, is there more?

Can also add PR details about what she was wearing/had with her.

And from the engagement announcement, the schools she attended (which may, to someone, shed light on a circle of friends):
Tottenville HS
Wagner College bio major
Alpha Tau Mu musical sorority
Tau Beta Sigma national band society

thank you for this
Everything is scattered all over the thread

Good to be reminded

Can you really see the NYPD of the 1970s having that conversation? JMO, but I think they would have distanced themselves from that. And perhaps wisely so: They are not qualified to weigh symptoms, right? My parents are from the same generation as SL's mom, and are 2nd generation (v. immigrants), and still, when they say "depressed," they don't mean something clinical. If we are only tallying facts, we have to include that bc it's on the report, but I don't think we can say with any certainty what it means.

If someone asked me how I felt at the moment... i might say I am depressed.. winter feels like its never going to end

Do i look like that to others.. yes
Am I clinically depressed.. no

Its more like beng tired of.. PO'ed about the situation

JMHO about me

I see the thought was an error, and yet I also think it's possible. Could something have been handled informally in deference to their position on publicity? I think it's fair to say we don't know.

I think its possible
I wish I knew
And I agree, we don't know

Poor sweet girl...
It just seems so unfair , how difficult for those who knew and loved her

Has anyone considered her as a possible victim of Andre Rand?

It seems unlikely since he mostly preyed on children but LE has named him as a suspect in the disappearance of Ethel Atwell and the murder of Shin Lee, both of whom were adults on Staten Island. Both of these adult cases are from 1978, but his first presumed victim (Alice Pereia) went missing in 1972.

I ask this because I think that virtually every missing female on the island was attributed to Rand back then... except Sylvia.

Has anyone considered her as a possible victim of Andre Rand?

It seems unlikely since he mostly preyed on children but LE has named him as a suspect in the disappearance of Ethel Atwell and the murder of Shin Lee, both of whom were adults on Staten Island. Both of these adult cases are from 1978, but his first presumed victim (Alice Pereia) went missing in 1972.

I ask this because I think that virtually every missing female on the island was attributed to Rand back then... except Sylvia.

I am more inclined to think she could be a victim of Richard Beigenwald, but I suppose it's possible-It's certainly in the correct place and time

snipped

New Internet site posted by South Beach resident provides a look at the Staten Island of yesteryear

By TAMARA VALLES

STATEN ISLAND ADVANCE

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

In fact, he spent weeks at the St. George Library researching old records and scanning early editions of the Advance to make sure the historical details given were not only thorough, but accurate as well. He also consulted several books written about the borough over the years.

snipped

"My long-term goal is to include pictures, events and stories from every town on the Island," he said. "Actually, if anyone out there has anything to add, I'd love to hear from them."

http://www.statenislandhistory.com/si-advance-story.html

Epiph: A potential source of any articles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18