NY NY - Sylvia Lwowski, 22, Staten Island, 6 Sept 1975 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know if she was depressed at the time of her disappearance? Or why they wouldn't have wanted any publicity about her being missing?

Depressed no. Angry and frustrated and unsure of future yes. As we all were back then. Trying to figure out who you were and where you were heading was all consuming.

She had graduated and was not yet working?

MMQC; Do you think that LE put 100% effort into looking for her, when she was reported missing?

Long bike rides from home to GK park, now called Gateway Park I think. Spending time at the beach. Using a saneing net(not sure of the spelling) to gather specimens for salt water tank. I remember collecting these tiny sea horses in the net. Next I knew they were her new pets in the tank. Walking on the beach at low tide getting squirted by the piss clams in the sand. If not the actual name, it was a well suited name by far.

As a young girl in Jr. HS a pension for badmitton. We used to play the teachers back then in doubles. We won several matches. LOL Then we'd switch and she would be with one of the teachers. I remember how embarrased she was when the teacher said you get it and she instead of hitting the birdie hit the teacher in the behind with a thwat! I rolled on the floor laughing and you could have cooked an egg on her face it turned so red.

Very sweet, MMQC. Staten Island seems like it was a nice place to grow up. Full of natural places to play and be a kid, ride your bike! - I used to collect all kinds of aquatic things at the Jersey Shore - Early spring was best for beautiful shells and colored glass. I have enjoyed reading the early history of SI-and looking at the historic photos, too.

A bit of history with this answer. Father met mother in Germany where he was stationed. She had a tatoo'd number on her arm.

LE was not her friend back in GE. Trust issues in my mind. Her mother said she did not want to label SL as unstable or attract undue attention to a possible return. Might hinder her higher education or job prospects if a full blown media attack was forthcoming. At the time I probably agreed. Now, as the saying goes hind sight is 20-20.

Was her father in agreement with this?

A bit of history with this answer. Father met mother in Germany where he was stationed. She had a tatoo'd number on her arm.

LE was not her friend back in GE. Trust issues in my mind. Her mother said she did not want to label SL as unstable or attract undue attention to a possible return. Might hinder her higher education or job prospects if a full blown media attack was forthcoming. At the time I probably agreed. Now, as the saying goes hind sight is 20-20.

omg - was her Mom a survivor of the camps in WWII? How old was Sylvia when she came to America?

BBM: (bolded by me) - I can see that this soft approach logic makes sense, in the beginning. --Many kids just took off during this period of time and parents were all acutely aware of it, too. So, the thinking was to give her an opportunity to return and not send in the cavalry and have it publicized all over town... Makes sense.

There must have been a point though where they realized this was not a temporary "I am running away from my life" turbulent time period... I am guessing this is when the private investigator was hired.

omg - was her Mom a survivor of the camps in WWII? How old was Sylvia when she came to America?

BBM: (bolded by me) - I can see that this soft approach logic makes sense, in the beginning. --Many kids just took off during this period of time and parents were all acutely aware of it, too. So, the thinking was to give her an opportunity to return and not send in the cavalry and have it publicized all over town... Makes sense.

There must have been a point though where they realized this was not a temporary "I am running away from my life" turbulent time period... I am guessing this is when the private investigator was hired.

Not sure of age when she came to US. VI should help with that info.

PI hired? not sure of the time line but when I heard from SL's mother this happened and I was followed, you could have cooked an egg on my face then.

MMQC; Do you think that LE put 100% effort into looking for her, when she was reported missing?

a big NO on that one! I was never even questioned by LE. BF/F came to my house that night to ask that I go and pick her up from the Bus Stop. It was after 10 PM and I had to ask my folks as going out after 10 PM was a big no in our house. Father took me to do the looking. We guessed that the bus came in the time between. I was questioned in 2010 over the phone by the cold case detective. He asked me why this was never done? I answered him with a question. You tell me, you are LE.

a big NO on that one! I was never even questioned by LE. BF/F came to my house that night to ask that I go and pick her up from the Bus Stop. It was after 10 PM and I had to ask my folks as going out after 10 PM was a big no in our house. Father took me to do the looking. We guessed that the bus came in the time between. I was questioned in 2010 over the phone by the cold case detective. He asked me why this was never done? I answered him with a question. You tell me, you are LE.

What was the location of the bus stop, and where does the bus travel to?

Ok, any idea where she was going? I guess not. What time did she get on the bus, at 10pm? Or earlier? So, BF/F came to your house. And, Sylvia's house?

Did buses circulate on SI at that hour? Maybe they did until 11pm? I am guessing you could take a bus to Brooklyn, to NYC, back then until midnight or thereabouts.

MMQC - I know this is a barrage of questions... We were under the impression that BF/F went to Sylvia's house. And the time window was always speculative. imo.

I wonder if anyone obtained the original LE file. Not sure how that works, but I would guess the family might have access, or maybe a lawyer is required to access it. It's interesting that you were contacted by the cold case det. which means your name is in that file....

Not sure of age when she came to US. VI should help with that info.

PI hired? not sure of the time line but when I heard from SL's mother this happened and I was followed, you could have cooked an egg on my face then.

It sounds as if SL's mother considered the possibility that SL may have left on her own. Is that a fair statement? And if so, were there any prior events that would have led her to consider that possibility?

What was the location of the bus stop, and where does the bus travel to?

There were several bus stops she could have waited at for a bus to come. One side of the street the bus would have gone North, away from home toward Wagner, The other side would have gone south toward home. Only about 6-7 miles to home.

Just not sure of the time line from the BF/F. My home
10-ish. Movie time? Picked up from home 6-7-ish? Long time in between. Even movie would not have been long either? Most busses just made giant circles around SI.
When I search my memory my mind travels to Farrels? Ice Cream Parlor/restaurant. It was a favorite after a movie.

MMQC MMQC is offline Registered User

Who had a tattoo on their arm? Eva Lwowski had no tattoo at all on her!

It sounds as if SL's mother considered the possibility that SL may have left on her own. Is that a fair statement? And if so, where there any prior events that would have led her to consider that?

The only thread and a thin one at that was the embarrassment from the graduation/pool party at her home. Otherwise no indication of leaving. We would both have our differences with family. We would then stay at the other ones home if that were the case until things calmed down.

MMQC MMQC is offline Registered User

Who had a tattoo on their arm? Eva Lwowski had no tattoo at all on her!

Ok, so Eva Lwowski was not a WWII Nazi camp survivor as a tattooed number would suggest. (no need to answer or comment)

How old was Sylvia when she came to America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18