Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To both our VI (s).

bbm: Was Sylvia's father able to obtain help and assistance of some kind through the the college in trying to locate Sylvia - through her teachers, advisors, sorority? Was the staff at the school helpful at the time?

I guess I am thinking in addition to the suspicions surrounding the BF/F, were there some additional theories and perhaps hope for her safe return based on her other possible connections at Wagner?

Some colleges have good resources and support...

All good questions, to which I have no answers.

Starting a (VI) timeline: To our VI (s) any additions and corrections can be revised to timeline.

5 pm: (ASWDH) BF/F came over to the residents around 5pm to see a movie Sylvia at a cinema about 20 min away at K-Mart Plaza.

10 pm: (MMQC) BF/F shows up at girlfriend’s house and stating they had a fight, and said Sylvia left to take the bus. It is noted he was angry. Girlfriend and her father drive to the mall to look for SL.

10:30 pm: (ASWDH) BF/F ‘returned to Sylvia’s house stating that during an argument Sylvia had thrown her glasses against the dash board of the car and ran off’.

10:30pm -12am: (ASWDH) EL got in the car and drove around the Staten Island Mall, but didn’t see her. She called the 122 precinct and tried to report a missing person but could not because Sylvia wasn't missing for 24 hrs, yet.

Next morning: (MMQC) “I took her (EL) to the Wagner campus then in the morning and cruised around at our local haunts to see if she was there or if anyone had seen her.”

6pm Next evening: (PR) (ASWDH) EL went to the 122 precinct to file a formal missing person report. --Time and place last seen (Saturday Sept. 6, 1975 -6pm, K-Mart Plaza, Richmond, SI)) on police report filed by Sylvia’s mom (EL).

(MMQC) LE informed her (EL) that SL was an adult and was not considered missing until missing for more than 48 hours as I recall. Then they were to bring current photo and a list of what she was wearing etc. Then LE would contact them at their home to follow up and investigate. NOTHING followed. I was in contact with SL's mother about this. I then asked my dad to come with me to ask ADA to do something. It was then someone finally contacted parents from LE. I never spoke to LE in 1975. They said they would follow up with all names SL's parents gave them

Days and weeks after disappearance: (ASWDH) after SL disappears: “BF/F wouldn't answer and more questions concerning Sylvia.”

(MMQC) -I called BF/F to see if SL contacted him. He was VERY RUDE to me on phone stating he had been made a sucker of he had given her a very expensive ring and she takes off, and don't call again. His mother was having a breakdown about it and not to call again.

A week or two later: (ASWDH) “... the family hired a private investigator”

December 1975: (MMQC) “I last spoke to BF/F just before Xmas '75”.

Sometime later (what year?): (MMQC) & (ASWDH) --It is heard that the ring is in BF/F's possession.

(MMQC) --Contacted by Cold Case detective

That about sums it all up in a nut shell.

BBM

After Sylvia relayed this incident to you, what did she say about her feelings toward what she described? What was her attitude about such behavior?

Did she defend her BF/F?

What were her feelings/attitude toward her father after his behavior at the graduation/pool party you attended?

How did Sylvia feel about her father mistaking a seemingly large shiny diamond ring for a silver beer tab?

What did she confide in you about her deep feelings about these types of behaviors by the men she loved?

let me think on these questions.....
As you said. Mistaking it after a few beers. Not even looking at what he was sliding off the table into a can there were alway a collection of them on the corner of the table by where he sat. I can see him sliding beer tabs off the table like you would sweep crumbs into your palm only palm was coffee can and then not look and swipe then, put can on fridge. Never really spoke of any irritation toward father about ring. Now on the other hand about the incident at the party with him walking on his hands in front of classmates during party. VERY embarrassed. Argument insued and SL kicked father, very unlike her to do so. Also I can't remember if there was any alcohol involved. There could have been as we were all over 21, but I do believe drinking age in NYC then was 18.

As for BF/F behavior incident with BF/F's mother. I have no recollection of what she said. I only remember my astonishment over incident and voiced my opinion to her.

let me think on these questions.....
As you said. Mistaking it after a few beers. Not even looking at what he was sliding off the table into a can there were alway a collection of them on the corner of the table by where he sat. I can see him sliding beer tabs off the table like you would sweep crumbs into your palm only palm was coffee can and then not look and swipe then, put can on fridge. Never really spoke of any irritation toward father about ring. Now on the other hand about the incident at the party with him walking on his hands in front of classmates during party. VERY embarrassed. Argument insued and SL kicked father, very unlike her to do so. Also I can't remember if there was any alcohol involved. There could have been as we were all over 21, but I do believe drinking age in NYC then was 18.

As for BF/F behavior incident with BF/F's mother. I have no recollection of what she said. I only remember my astonishment over incident and voiced my opinion to her.

BBM

Since you state an argument ensued and SL kicked her Father, would you describe her as angry, as well as very embarrassed?

IOW, it appears possible, IMO, that SL could very well have thrown her glasses on the dashboard during an argument w/her BF/F.

Yes, drinking age in NYC 1975 was 18 yo.

And BTW, thank you for your many replies to all on the thread.

MMQC - when was the embarrassing pool party? Was it three days before she disappeared? And she was not talking to her father at the time of her disappearance? I think that is what was relayed much earlier in thread...

Was your relationship with Sylvia's family (in particular, her Mother) harmed or severed, and if so, at what point in time did this occur?

As with time all things do tend to go by the way side. EL truly did believe or made her self believe that I always knew where SL was. Calls through the years reinforced that. EL called me to tell me that she wanted to know what to do with the engagement presents that were in the home. Called again to ask SL to pick up personal things. Called again to ask me to tell SL to come and get her china as she wanted her to have it not brothers GF. EL visited my mother too.

It got harder as the years passed to keep telling EL that I did not know where SL was. Even harder for me to keep talking to EL. I visited on occasion but the visits got fewer and farther between. I drove by one day and saw brother on crutches in yard and then pulled over to find out why. Motorcycle accident and then visited for a while. I returned to my home feeling sad and empty as I lost a great friend and an extension of what would have been a frienship so great that we all felt like family. We both came from a small family that was getting smaller and smaller year by year.

BBM

Since you state an argument ensued and SL kicked her Father, would you describe her as angry, as well as very embarrassed?

IOW, it appears possible, IMO, that Sl could very well have thrown her glasses on the dashboard during an argument w/her BF/F.

Yes, drinking age in NYC 1975 was 18 yo.

And BTW, thank you for your many replies to all on the thread.

Angry and embarrassed, OH YES!

MMQC - when was the embarrassing pool party? Was it three days before she disappeared? And she was not talking to her father at the time of her disappearance? I think that is what was relayed much earlier in thread...

As far as time line for party. I'm a bit fuzzy on that. Summer for sure. Maybe EOA? Yes, not talking to father nor father to daughter. To my knowledge neither party apologised.

As with time all things do tend to go by the way side. EL truly did believe or made her self believe that I always knew where SL was. Calls through the years reinforced that. EL called me to tell me that she wanted to know what to do with the engagement presents that were in the home. Called again to ask SL to pick up personal things. Called again to ask me to tell SL to come and get her china as she wanted her to have it not brothers GF. EL visited my mother too.

It got harder as the years passed to keep telling EL that I did not know where SL was. Even harder for me to keep talking to EL. I visited on occasion but the visits got fewer and farther between. I drove by one day and saw brother on crutches in yard and then pulled over to find out why. Motorcycle accident and then visited for a while. I returned to my home feeling sad and empty as I lost a great friend and an extension of what would have been a frienship so great that we all felt like family. We both came from a small family that was getting smaller and smaller year by year.

BBM

Her grief aside, what else do you think may have led to EL's feelings that you knew SL's whereabouts?

Since SL's Mother evidently had not told you about BF/F's visit to her home that night, she initially had a few ideas of her own about what happened to Sylvia. Why was that?

As far as time line for party. I'm a bit fuzzy on that. Summer for sure. Maybe EOA? Yes, not talking to father nor father to daughter. To my knowledge neither party apologised.

Uh oh! What is EOA?

Ok, so not ringing a bell as an event that happened right before she disappeared? Maybe earlier in summer?

The only thread and a thin one at that was the embarrassment from the graduation/pool party at her home. Otherwise no indication of leaving. We would both have our differences with family. We would then stay at the other ones home if that were the case until things calmed down.

Bumping up.

Graduation-Pool Party: End of April or Early May.

Thoughts tonight are:

imo -Either way, the BF/F is totally responsible here for abandoning Sylvia at the very least and possibly of harming her directly at the other end of the spectrum. imo...

Even if she broke up with him, threw the ring at him, he let her walk away into the night without her glasses. Same if he was the one who broke up with her and she walked away with the ring into the night without her glasses.

I have real doubts about a premeditated act solely to get back a valuable piece of jewelry. Or, that he is a sociopath. --But in the heat of a horrible violent argument, something accidental? -And a grand cover up… Or, if she was so distraught that she left him in the middle of traffic and made some very bad decisions that night?

OR, maybe she felt so threatened by something that she vanished and went into hiding with the help of an unknown party. –Felt so threatened for herself, her family and friends that she changed the dynamic to protect them?

Other thoughts are they went into NYC and he lost her, or something happened?

This is a young woman who obviously had a whole lot going for her. -Smart, beautiful, desirable- -Who else knew that about her? Who else would she turn to? One thing I know, we don’t tell everybody everything, especially at that age...

Imo imo imo…

It is clear to me that we have no idea if they ever went to a movie.

For that matter, do we really know they even went to the mall? All we know is the pickup time, IMO. BF/F could have taken her anywhere. No one sees her after pickup, and it we have doubts about the rest of the BF/Fs story, I think we should question this too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18