MI MI - Jessica Heeringa, 25, Norton Shores, 26 April 2013 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
At the beginning, this reminded me so much of Katie Poirier's 1999 disappearance in Minnesota, as I mentioned in one of the early threads. However, in her case, LE had surveillance footage and made an arrest less than a month after Katie was abducted. They honed in on their suspect, Donald Blom, partly because one of his coworkers called the tip line and noted that he matched the sketch broadcast in the media. I feel like if the sketch in the Jessica Heeringa disappearance really were that good, a useful tip would have been phoned in by now.

In the Poirier case, a witness also reported seeing a particular vehicle, a black truck, near the convenience store around the time of the abduction. Blom stopped driving his black truck immediately after. Worth a thought...

Blom drove Katie to his rural property 12 miles from the store, where her remains were later found. I think LE should search similar properties around Norton Shores. At the very least, encourage private search parties.

(Also, I think I mentioned this earlier, too, but I was only 11 at the time Katie was abducted and murdered, and I don't think I will ever forget watching news broadcast of the surveillance footage of her being forced out of the store. Truly chilling.)

Interesting that the local news station wzzm has hired a private detective themselves. Cant say I have heard of this before. I cant figure how to link here, but if you look on wzzm.com there is an article. The PI mentions that the back lights were off ( which is not new.. have heard this right along..) BUT.. it made me wonder just WHO turned them off. Did someone on the last shift turn them off? Did Jessica? WHY? The co-worker who claimed to see Jessica walking out with someone in a silver van mentions that the back lights were not on, and this is what made them go back and check the store. If it was the perp shutting them off.. he would have to know where the switch was, and be able to get to it. Could not have turned it off just as he was leaving the back door with Jessica since the co-worker noticed them being off, drove to Meijer (IIRC) turned around, came back ( and this would take a few minutes- there are several lights you would undoubtedly get stopped at..) and then saw her with the van. So if the perp turned them off.. he was in there a while. And knew the lay out.
If the perp was just there as a crime of opportunity, he would not have had the time to plan that part out.
If HE did not turn them out.. who did? And WHY? Was there something happening out back that was best done in the dark?
Jessica had to notice that they were out. If she did not turn them off... why did she not at least turn them back on?
Makes me think there is more going on here...

Interesting that the local news station wzzm has hired a private detective themselves. Cant say I have heard of this before. I cant figure how to link here, but if you look on wzzm.com there is an article. The PI mentions that the back lights were off ( which is not new.. have heard this right along..) BUT.. it made me wonder just WHO turned them off. Did someone on the last shift turn them off? Did Jessica? WHY? The co-worker who claimed to see Jessica walking out with someone in a silver van mentions that the back lights were not on, and this is what made them go back and check the store. If it was the perp shutting them off.. he would have to know where the switch was, and be able to get to it. Could not have turned it off just as he was leaving the back door with Jessica since the co-worker noticed them being off, drove to Meijer (IIRC) turned around, came back ( and this would take a few minutes- there are several lights you would undoubtedly get stopped at..) and then saw her with the van. So if the perp turned them off.. he was in there a while. And knew the lay out.
If the perp was just there as a crime of opportunity, he would not have had the time to plan that part out.
If HE did not turn them out.. who did? And WHY? Was there something happening out back that was best done in the dark?
Jessica had to notice that they were out. If she did not turn them off... why did she not at least turn them back on?
Makes me think there is more going on here...

I have at least one theory involving someone who admitted being there an hour before she disappeared. Not that he was involved with her disappearance, but possibly a reason Jessica might have turned off those lights. I am not sure how much I would be allowed to post here. I'll PM a mod when I get a chance.

Not all small town PD's have the expertise to conduct a major high profile criminal investigation.

This could be a case of a small town PD being reluctant to let a bigger LE agency (county sheriff or state police) that has such expertise take over the investigation from them. The small town PD doesn't want a bigger LE agency getting the credit of solving the case.

If I had a family member missing, I'd want every available resource making an all-out effort to locate said person. Who will eventually be credited with having solved the case shouldn't matter as much as finding the missing person. :moo:

Jessica Heeringa missing two months, private investigator reveals new clues

7:51 AM, Jun 19, 2013

NORTON SHORES, Mich. (WZZM) -- It's been 54 days since Jessica Heeringa disappeared from her job at a Norton Shores gas station. The national media attention has gone away and tips are coming in at a much slower pace. If police have a strong theory or even just a solid hunch, they're not saying.

Truth is not much more is known about Jessica's disappearance today than almost two months ago. WZZM 13 has dedicated multiple journalists to the story but as the mystery grew we asked what more could we do to uncover clues?

That's why WZZM hired a licensed private investigator to go beyond what our reporters were doing. We are not identifying her so as to not jeopardize her work. Lee VanAmeyde spoke with her...

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/regional/259133/5/Private-investigator-reveals-clues-in-Heeringa-case

There is video at the link, and this is one time that I recommend reading the comments below the article as they are quite interesting. ;)

A little O/T, but relates to the discussion of the lack of ground searches:

Today, a man was found (deceased) after a sarx group decided to do a training exercise near the area where the man was last seen:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9581346&postcount=7

It brings the idea up that maybe when there are lack of resources to conduct a search in any given case, sarx organizations can be contacted and training exercises can be implemented.

Not all small town PD's have the expertise to conduct a major high profile criminal investigation.

This could be a case of a small town PD being reluctant to let a bigger LE agency (county sheriff or state police) that has such expertise take over the investigation from them. The small town PD doesn't want a bigger LE agency getting the credit of solving the case.
BBM - Solving the case?? It's been 8 weeks! Wish more experienced LE had been brought in from the get-go. From the time of the disappearance to the 9-1-1 call was a mere 15-20 minutes. Supposed "eye witnesses," video of van, etc. Seems like this case could have been solved within the first 24 hours if action had been taken. The fact that no one has come forward (that we know of) to identify the person who is depicted in the sketch, causes me to believe the sketch is far from being a "10 out of 10." Tick, tock.

<respectfully snipped>I recommend reading the comments below the article as they are quite interesting. ;)

One commenter asks about the airport. With it having high security, and the van possibly driving by, why no airport cameras captured anything...

I absolutely believe lack of experience is a problem here. It might be a reason, but it is no excuse. Ask for and accept help. Find resources. Lives are at stake. Not only Jessica's, but everyone else the perp comes in contact with. The more I think about it, the more I believe that denying ground searches was a huge mistake. What if he threw something identifiable of hers out the window as he drove away? It would at least give us a direction of travel.

Exactly. And we have seen this exact instance in other cases.

While it doesn't prove anything, I would not concentrate on cities North or South of Norton Shores as it would be quicker to jump on US31 NB or SB to get to them. The way the van headed....

City of Muskegon
Muskegon Heights
Cloverville
Ravenna
Anything East of Muskegon in the direction of Grand Rapids...Coopersville would be one.

Thanks. We did check out RSOs in Muskegon, that I remember (with some viable options)...Will check out Cloverville and Ravenna.

Thanks. We did check out RSOs in Muskegon, that I remember (with some viable options)...Will check out Cloverville and Ravenna.

:banghead:
so many RSOs to sift through...its like looking for a needle in a haystack :(

While it doesn't prove anything, I would not concentrate on cities North or South of Norton Shores as it would be quicker to jump on US31 NB or SB to get to them. The way the van headed....

City of Muskegon
Muskegon Heights
Cloverville
Ravenna
Anything East of Muskegon in the direction of Grand Rapids...Coopersville would be one.

Ok, I googled "Cloverville Attempted Abduction" and came across this from Clinton, MI:

http://www.northwestohio.com/news/story.aspx?id=746172#.UcHhWPnVDEY

The date is almost one year to the day Jessica was abducted, April 25 2012, near 8pm, and mentions the possibility of a white van...white male suspect...

I might have supported this in the first or second week following Jessica's disappearance. After nearly 8 weeks, not so much. I doubt that NSPD has had many missing persons' cases, if any. Their lack of experience in investigating/resolving a case of this magnitude is blatantly obvious, and it's just plain silly to go it alone under these circumstances. Chief Shaw needs to swallow his pride, admit that local LE is at a standstill, pursue and accept any/all outside resources that are available to conduct competent ground searches for Jessica Heeringa. This young woman needs to be located whether she is alive or deceased. :moo:

At the beginning, this reminded me so much of Katie Poirier's 1999 disappearance in Minnesota, as I mentioned in one of the early threads. However, in her case, LE had surveillance footage and made an arrest less than a month after Katie was abducted. They honed in on their suspect, Donald Blom, partly because one of his coworkers called the tip line and noted that he matched the sketch broadcast in the media. I feel like if the sketch in the Jessica Heeringa disappearance really were that good, a useful tip would have been phoned in by now.

In the Poirier case, a witness also reported seeing a particular vehicle, a black truck, near the convenience store around the time of the abduction. Blom stopped driving his black truck immediately after. Worth a thought...

Blom drove Katie to his rural property 12 miles from the store, where her remains were later found. I think LE should search similar properties around Norton Shores. At the very least, encourage private search parties.

(Also, I think I mentioned this earlier, too, but I was only 11 at the time Katie was abducted and murdered, and I don't think I will ever forget watching news broadcast of the surveillance footage of her being forced out of the store. Truly chilling.)

Katie's case has always been foremost in my mind, as well. I wonder....did LE have ground searches for Katie, even though she disappeared in a vehicle?

Jessica Heeringa missing two months, private investigator reveals new clues

7:51 AM, Jun 19, 2013

NORTON SHORES, Mich. (WZZM) -- It's been 54 days since Jessica Heeringa disappeared from her job at a Norton Shores gas station. The national media attention has gone away and tips are coming in at a much slower pace. If police have a strong theory or even just a solid hunch, they're not saying.

Truth is not much more is known about Jessica's disappearance today than almost two months ago. WZZM 13 has dedicated multiple journalists to the story but as the mystery grew we asked what more could we do to uncover clues?

That's why WZZM hired a licensed private investigator to go beyond what our reporters were doing. We are not identifying her so as to not jeopardize her work. Lee VanAmeyde spoke with her...

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/regional/259133/5/Private-investigator-reveals-clues-in-Heeringa-case

There is video at the link, and this is one time that I recommend reading the comments below the article as they are quite interesting. ;)

Interesting article. But when I click the button to read the comments nothing happens. No comments show up.

I can't get on Facebook, maybe that is why I can't see the comments? All dating/social media is blocked on our computer.

Interesting article. But when I click the button to read the comments nothing happens. No comments show up.

I just checked, and there are 40 comments below the article (scroll down and click on the highlighted link).

I was able to view all but 12 of the 40 comments.
I believe I clicked on the word 'comments' posted above the article first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member