GUILTY FL - Cherish Perrywinkle, 8, Jacksonville, 21 June 2013 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I read about this guy, the more I believe that if not this woman's child, it would have been someone else's in Jacksonville by the end of this month. I've had another neighbor from the neighborhood next to mine confirm that a man and van meeting this guy's description was trying to coerce kids into his van; he was stalking kids in their neighborhood (a solidly middle-class, working professional 10-year old subdivision) on June 17. He approached at least 2 kids playing outside and tried to lure them to that van. Thank God the kids had the sense to run screaming inside, the families called 911, and Neighborhood Watch for the community mobilized but the had left by then. These communities keep close tabs on the sex offenders who leave nearby, but this guy was from well outside our zip code and adjacent parts of town. This was re-reported to JSO after Cherish was found dead.

Who knows how many other kids and how many other parts of town he trolled in before hitting paydirt on the 21st. Did he tell his aging mom that he was out all day looking for work, while instead he was casing town for his next victim? These kind of monsters will not stop until stopped. I am not saying that the mother does not bear some responsibility for being victimized; I'm saying that if it weren't her, it would have been another child lost in our community very, very soon. And I don't think he would have stopped until he was stopped in exactly this fashion, after some little girl died. This kind doesn't stop until they're put down for good.

Read the profile and systemic breakdowns here:
http://www.news4jax.com/news/child-...-past/-/475880/20695886/-/uq20d4/-/index.html

In fact, the 56-year-old was first arrested on a sex offense when he was 21 and was just released from jail 21 days before he is accused of abducting and killing the girl.

"This guy is definitely one of those. He looks like he's never stopped," former prosecutor Rick Alexander said. "Anybody in law enforcement looks at this wrap and knows he's trouble. He's someone we want to put away."
Smith was recommended for civil commitment for sex offenders, meaning he would not have returned to society until cured. But the case fell through the cracks. As he was about to leave prison in 1999, the state flagged Smith as likely to reoffend and be dangerous in the future. Psychiatrists who evaluated him agreed. Just 1 percent of all sex offenders and predators get such a recommendation.

I don't doubt he was trying to look for a child he can offend against. But Cherish's mother didn't make it difficult at all.

I could see, I suppose, a mother wanting to get the goods from the gift card. But the offer alone, even if accepted, should have been enough to tie the kids to her side (figuratively, I guess) until he was gone.

He was claiming his (non-existing) wife was going to show up with the card. After three hours, shouldn't it have occurred to the mother that there is no wife?

I could see, I suppose, a mother wanting to get the goods from the gift card. But the offer alone, even if accepted, should have been enough to tie the kids to her side (figuratively, I guess) until he was gone.

He was claiming his (non-existing) wife was going to show up with the card. After three hours, shouldn't it have occurred to the mother that there is no wife? And getting into the van with him? Custody evaluator must have had a reason to say that he/she feared for child's future if child stayed with mother.

The mother claims she found him creepy the entire time. Also, Smith said he was going to buy a dress for the mother, not for the kids. My guess is that he focused on Rayne instead of the kids so she wouldn't think he was interested in them.

So why would Mom let a complete stranger (a man) buy her a dress if she is living with another man.?

Wonder if the outcome that happen didn't happen, what the Mom would have told the live in BF when she got home.. Hey honey some strange man just bought me this dress? Really? Strange, IMO!

The mom said she would never allow Cherish to go with this man alone to the McD's inside the Walmart...so why didn't she ask Walmart for a code Adam immediately when her daughter was not by her side. Walmart will lock the store up until child is found. All employees begin searching for child.

This story doesn't make any logical sense. Imo

I experienced a Code Adam at a WM once. It was really amazing. Seemed like everything shut down, guards on the doors, everyone searching for the child. This child was, thankfully, just lost, but seeing it in action brought tears to my eyes. You could see that the employees took it very seriously.

I know, I know, from WM stand point it's good PR to protect and find kids and bad PR when they are assaulted or kidnapped in your store, but, corporate issues aside, the WM employees immediately stepped up and took control. So, kudos to them.

He was claiming his (non-existing) wife was going to show up with the card. After three hours, shouldn't it have occurred to the mother that there is no wife?

I see we're on the same wavelength, jjenny.

It's an old country song by Collin Raye, but it's been in my mind all morning reminding me of Cherish...

I think about you eight years old
big blue eyes and a heart of gold
when I look at this world, I think about
You and I can't help but see
that every woman used to be
Somebody's little girl, I think about you

So disheartened that she didn't get to grow up, and that her final moments were in the hands of that monster. :( <cry>

:cry: I used to listen to that song on my Sony Walkman while I worked out. I think it was when the song first came out. Damn.

Military fathers pay a pretty penny in child support :stormingmad:

I have a feeling though that the only money coming into the home was the 1 support check,there has not been any thing in the news about any jobs.If the father of the 2 other children is not working (if they are his)then most likely it is welfare and Cherish's support for the family of 5.

This whole story is tragic on a number of levels. Mostly because it was preventable. When thinking about how this happened, the obvious words of gullible and naive jump out but there is another that probably is most relevant in this case. Desperate.

It's impossible for me to identify the circumstances of how this mother allowed a complete stranger to befriend her in a dollar general (which is not an intimate setting) to the point of spilling out her life story to him and him offering to buy her clothes. To which she agrees, then proceeds to spend a number of hours with him in Walmart. But it just feels like this woman was desperate and when you are desperate I think your guard goes way down when someone wants to help you. It's still a leap to trust one of your children alone with someone you barely know, a few hours or not.

On the one hand I agree. On the other hand, I wonder if she thought she was taking advantage of him for a free dress. Dresses are fun to have but are not items of desperation or necessity. Risk your lives for some food when you are starving, ok. Risk your lives for a new dress??? Really??

She was shopping awfully long with only 100 to spend even at walmart prices and if she was getting groceries too.

On the one hand I agree. On the other hand, I wonder if she thought she was taking advantage of him for a free dress. Dresses are fun to have but are not items of desperation or necessity. Risk your lives for some food when you are starving, ok. Risk your lives for a new dress??? Really??

And to go a step further....

Risk your kids' lives for anything...never!!!

Yes- I shop occasionally at this Walmart- as it is an easy store to get back on the highway from on my way out of that area.

Please notice the photo below. The time stamp is 9:34 pm. If you enlarge this photo, there is another still shot. RP is in the shoe dept.

In fact, I would imagine after spending approx 90 minutes in this small walmart, she had many many opportunities to see Mc Donalds closing and closed.

It is fact, proved by these still shots, that she was in more than one department. And, as mentioned in MSM- the perp asked her if she wanted a dress, which means she was in, or was going to the woman's dept also within the time frame she was there.

surveillance shot

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/rss/article/317454/3/-Charish-Lilly-Perriwinkle?odyssey=obinsite

amber%208.jpg

There are a few things about this picture that bother me, I do not belive this is the kids department even if we see the luvs look at the size of the shirts and what looks like t-shirts next to the mom!
This Luvs would be in the baby department correct?
The way he is standing he looks to me like he is about jump out of his skin or waiting for something to happen!
Could someone look closer at this picture with me I think mom is all into her clothes!!

I don't know much about Jax thrift stores, but around here you could have found a beautiful little girl's dress for $2.00 (or less if it was being rotated out of stock). Just seems like really poor planning and impulsive behavior in response to something for nothing.

I can barely look at that sweet little girl's beautiful pictures knowing what this monster probably did and then tossing her away like garbage. When are we going to stop tolerating early releases and short sentences for these sickos? Ugh.

There are a few things about this picture that bother me, I do not belive this is the kids department even if we see the luvs look at the size of the shirts and what looks like t-shirts next to the mom!
This Luvs would be in the baby department correct?
The way he is standing he looks to me like he is about jump out of his skin or waiting for something to happen!
Could someone look closer at this picture with me I think mom is all into her clothes!!

WM merchandise is fairly standard from store to store. All it takes is for someone to go to WM and stroll through the clothing departments to determine whether those items are for kids or grown women.

ETA: I've let my "fingers do the walking" through WM online and see nothing resembling those tops in any department. Maybe someone else can have better luck with it.

I agree and it's especially creepy how his eyes are fixed low on the kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyMcKee