CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a transcript of the parts of the video containing the interview from the roommate, and reporter's comments on what the roommate said. Also interesting to note the quotes in the article are somewhat different and there are some additional quotes, so there might be more to the interview. I don't know. I'm really confused about this whole thing, but wanted to post the transcript for those who may not be able to view the video.

Quotes from/about the roommate (in the video):

Roommate (Cavena): "He was studying graphic design and he would always bring sketches back to our dorm and they were actually really good. He had some talent. A lot of talent and it's too bad that something like this happened."

Reporter: "Nick Cavena tried to call his old roommate Bryce Laspisa when he heard Laspisa vanished on the way down to his parents' house in Laguna Nigel."

<snip>

Reporter: "Laspisa was in his second year at Sierra College. He roomed with Cavena last Spring, until Cavena says Laspisa was evicted from their dorm. He says their friendship didn't end on good terms."

Roommate (Cavena): "When I heard the story it wasn't...I...by the way I knew him before I'd expected something like this..or, not LIKE this, but I expected nothing good c..would come from the path that he was on." [sorry for all the '...' - I was trying to capture how it was said]

If so, pretty low to do at a time like this.

Yes but unfortunately most 19 yr olds still think the world revolves around themselves. :( they don't often think about others or how their words will effect others, at least that's been my experience with that age group...

IMO Keep in mind what NC said may have been prompted or taken out of context. Earlier today Bryce's uncle mentioned that he was interviewed for half an hour and they used one line of what he said in the broadcast.

Agreed. I don't feel like we know enough details to rush to judgement against the roommate.

Hi I'm new here. I live in Santa Clarita and for some reason this case has me worried sick ever since it popped up on my FB feed. BL looks so much like my own nephew. I pray they find out something soon.

I've read almost every post and if I'm following all of this that would make 5 missing or deceased persons found in the vicinity since June. And I know some are listed as suicide but it wouldn't be totally out of the norm for a perp to stage a suicide and get away with it? I'm sure it's happened before? This could be why LE is taking longer to investigate and put the puzzle together. And more of a reason why I'm thinking serial killer -- MOO

I agree with everything but maybe not the hostage situation (MOO/JMO) but you could be right. It's possible that they examined the body once, found a negative match with Bryce, and have been doing multiple identifications. They want to be absolutely sure that it is not Bryce and perhaps that there is a serial killer in the area. It's possible that it was positive for Bryce and combining that with the evidence they found are being delayed with how to announced the possibility of a serial killer in the are. In any case, I think the delay is telling us there is something more going on, whether it is Bryce or not.

Unfortuntely, that's not the way it works. There are many bodies that visit the ME, under many different and questionable circumstances and they have their own procedure for how they handle the workload. I forget how many autopsies can be done in a day, and of course, there are other people who assist and help with these autopsies or can do them besides just the ME, I think.

I was pretty sure ME in LA prioritizes suspicious deaths first, and then homicides and then gets to deaths that are unexplained but not suspicious (weird health problems). I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure it is not a typical first-in-first-out queue. This is because the first two classes relate to a possible public safety issue.

Yes, there are a lot of deaths requiring ME support everyday, but there aren't *that* many. It should be between 24-48 hours based on past cases but there could be a backlog.

Yeah, but then why not stop at Castaic Inn, the Days Inn(which I've stayed at), or any of the other cheap motels right there instead???

As a college student he likely didn't have any money. Also, people that age tend to be low maintenance. Or if he did have money, would probably would rather sleep in car than spend money to get a hotel.

As a parent of a student that lived 10 feet away from Bryce Laspisa's dorm room. I was on that campus in that dorm on a weekly basis. I spent hours there. I knew Bryce. He was a normal kid like any other kid there. He was on the Dean's List for academics. He is wonderful. How dorms work is if you are too loud, even playing music, games, running around, talking too much after certain hours you can get in trouble. Many students have been in trouble or written up for that. My own daughter was too loud during quiet hours laughing. She was written up. He was there at the begining of last year and there at the end. I saw him. This fall my daughter moved out of the dorm. Bryce did also. So speculation of anything that he did SO bad that anyone is saying. Is absolutely NOT true.

That's good to know. I feel like he was sheltered and naive. Not a crime or bad trait by any means, just needed some growing up. You are right, it is easy to get written up but very difficult to get evicted; more difficult than an apartment.

I've tried thinking of anything he would want to talk to his parents about: a drug problem, sexuality, wanting to drop out of school, a mental problem. You just ruled out my school theory. It might be true that parents/family say that there is no way their kid uses drugs or is gay, but I tend to disregard that because it is so easy to be biased. Having a non-family member say that he is a good kid and that he even made Dean's list makes me rule out the dropping out of school possibility. I also don't think this is a matter of him being gay. I tend to not think this is drug related, at least not at the "addict" level. That does leave open the possibility of sexual experimentation or something that he may have been ashamed of, but shouldn't have been. I don't know. I just hope he didn't succumb to emotions that he doesn't understand just because of age. I am a softy, so I find nothing wrong wrong with the text exchange between Bryce and his roommate (except the soul finding part makes me wonder what he was talking about), but many might say that is something more intimate.

Thank you! I wonder what prompted his old roommate to say those things... I know not to sleuth him since he's in no way a suspect if this is even a crime, but that's kind of an odd thing to say in a MSM interview if it's not true. I would think the eviction thing would be pretty easily proven one way or another if LE went to the college to ask. I sincerely hope they've done so.

That roommate cast Bryce in a pretty unfavorable light, not just regarding being evicted. If any part of what he said publicly on camera is untrue, I would hope pressure from friends who know would urge him to at least post a public fb comment apologizing and correcting his statement.

Bryce sounds like a good kid, but very sheltered. It seems like he surrounded himself with some people that may not be trustworthy out of no fault of his own. Not only did the ex-roommate make a comment that may be incorrect, his roommate/friend didn't seem concerned that he disappeared -- that he just needed time to escape for himself. The ex-roommate should be ashamed of himself if he is lying.

Yes he does seem like a normal college kid. I was thinking maybe he wanted to talk to his parents about switching schools? Maybe he wanted to move to Chico? Or move home to Laguna? Just trying to think of reasons for breaking up with his girlfriend and needing to talk to his parents...maybe she lives too far now that she is in Chico especially if he was so in love with her. Maybe she had a new Chico prospect and he was jealous? That would be an acceptable reason (IMO) to get angry where his friend might take the keys so he didn't do something stupid. I took a 12hr greyhound bus home from college one weekend because of a breakup. When you're that young, every little thing is the end of the world. I'm surprised the girlfriend hasn't said anything about the "breakup" or did I miss that?

Agreed. I don't feel like we know enough details to rush to judgement against the roommate.

Agreed here as well. Hope it didn't seem I was judging the roommate from the transcript stuff I posted above. I just wanted people to be able to read what was said in the video if they hadn't seen or couldn't see it.

I'm still very confused by this whole case. I so hope he's found.

I have learned that the media often takes things out of context. As was mentioned, what the Uncle of Bryce said today. He talked for half an hour and one line out of everything he said was repeated. So I'm going to reserve judgement of the roommate.

As far as the L.A. Coroner is concerned, if they do prioritize their cases, then they have, and that burned body autopsy is put in the priority in which they think it warrants. <shrug>. It wasn't my decision. It's obvious someone made the decision for it to be performed tomorrow, not today, not yesterday.

While watching the 11 o'clock news tonight, the coroner just got another body of a hit and run victim tonight. It never ends here in the City of Angels. And the women found shot to death under the bridge still needs to be identified and once she is, maybe they can find her killer. A coroner's job is never done.

I heard they found shoes with the burned body. Why couldn't they just show the shoes to Bryce's parents??? Or maybe a piece of clothing? They don't need to do a full autopsy to identify if he's Bryce or not. How horrible this all has to be for the family. My heart goes out to them.

Could he have been run off the road?
And could someone have smashed the window to get to him instead of him breaking the window to get out?
The first thing you would do is grab your cell phone to call and say u needed help
now Unless he has some kind of head trauma im thinking someone grabbed him out of his car!

Could he have been run off the road?
And could someone have smashed the window to get to him instead of him breaking the window to get out?
The first thing you would do is grab your cell phone to call and say u needed help
now Unless he has some kind of head trauma im thinking someone grabbed him out of his car!

It's possible, but LE would be able to tell the difference between a window being broken out and being broken in. Not to say they did notice it, and just havent released that yet though.

There is no new news as of this morning

I didn't talk to my sister yesterday as she needs definitely needs some quiet time. She has her husband, some family and friends at her side and has been talking to LE and reporters (as well as family) non stop since everything started, she needs some time to relax. (hope you get what I mean)

That being said, I definitely wasn't calling her to ask questions that I couldn't answer such as if Bryce was evicted or not etc.

I see a mother of another student posted that she know he wasn't evicted because Bryce and her daughter were both in the dorms at the end of the year and both chose to move out, so I will keep my stand that he was not evicted.

I do know Bryce and his old roommate had a falling out and he left on bad terms.

I also saw somewhere that nick (his old roommate) said he tried calling Bryce when Bryce was driving home - But Nick actually called late Friday morning, a few hours after the car was discovered crashed

As far as the airbags go. To the best of my knowledge, ALL cars sensors are wired DIRECTLY to the battery none are wired through the ignition. That is why every car I have ever worked on (that has airbags) have a 10 gauge Yellow wire with a black/white checkerboard and warning labels under the dash, if you cut this wire, air bags will deploy - whether the ignition is on or off.

I want to make it clear that the airbags really have nothing to do with anything. The sensors need to be tripped in order for them to go off.....ie front end hit etc

The airbags didn't deploy in Bryces car because there was no front end collision, the car rolled

There is no new news as of this morning

I didn't talk to my sister yesterday as she needs definitely needs some quiet time. She has her husband, some family and friends at her side and has been talking to LE and reporters (as well as family) non stop since everything started, she needs some time to relax. (hope you get what I mean)

That being said, I definitely wasn't calling her to ask questions that I couldn't answer such as if Bryce was evicted or not etc.

I see a mother of another student posted that she know he wasn't evicted because Bryce and her daughter were both in the dorms at the end of the year and both chose to move out, so I will keep my stand that he was not evicted.

I do know Bryce and his old roommate had a falling out and he left on bad terms.

I also saw somewhere that nick (his old roommate) said he tried calling Bryce when Bryce was driving home - But Nick actually called late Friday morning, a few hours after the car was discovered crashed

I'm sure your sister does need some time. I'm sure this has been a very hard time for them. My heart goes out to the both of them.

I would like to know how his new roommate is doing, Sean Dixon? Also wonder what input he might have.

As far as the airbags go. To the best of my knowledge, ALL cars sensors are wired DIRECTLY to the battery none are wired through the ignition. That is why every car I have ever worked on (that has airbags) have a 10 gauge Yellow wire with a black/white checkerboard and warning labels under the dash, if you cut this wire, air bags will deploy - whether the ignition is on or off.

I want to make it clear that the airbags really have nothing to do with anything. The sensors need to be tripped in order for them to go off.....ie front end hit etc

The airbags didn't deploy in Bryces car because there was no front end collision, the car rolled

Did his car roll completely over? How many times? I had thought it was just onto the passenger side, not a complete roll.

The "hostage" scenario :

It is possible but something would have had to happen after the roadside assistance driver left, he said it was only Bryce there when he arrived

Something wasn't right, Bryce was too quiet on the phone w/ my sister and BIL

And I am not sure if it was even Bryce driving the car when it was on surveillance video at 2:30 and 4:20

Kev
the new roommate has talked to my sister and LE - I do not know the details

The car rolled more than once (multiple) # not known

Knowing that the car rolled I would also think that at between 4:20 and 5:30 (when vehicle was found) that it was pretty dark and since the car rolled Bryce's belongings would be all over the car (cell phone, laptop, wallet etc) and ones instinct would tell you to get out of the car, so that might be why everything was left in the car - he couldn't find anything on the way out. The police found everything but they have flashlights and it was probably getting light from 5:30 on, and they weren't in a hurry to exit a vehicle that just rolled

I heard they found shoes with the burned body. Why couldn't they just show the shoes to Bryce's parents??? Or maybe a piece of clothing? They don't need to do a full autopsy to identify if he's Bryce or not. How horrible this all has to be for the family. My heart goes out to them.

Me too. red/white Nikes size 14 or 15 are a definite clue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member