CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point re: Bryce may have had cash from "cash back" purchases at any store.

That would be plausible except that most of his transactions were less than $40 at grocery stores.
It would take a long time to "stash" money away at that pace

My sister believes all purchases to be legit

In response to a previous question:

Everything was in his wallet when found, license, credit cards etc

Were any other drugs taken by BL the week he went missing? Magic mushrooms? TIA

:goodpost: All excellent points. The long distance thing could have been causing issues. Some people can handle it, others can't. Especially if one or the other (or both!) have trouble trusting the other.

It is true that they may just not be addressing it because they don't think it would help anyone in finding Bryce. Very possible. All depends on what it really was. If it was something that, as you mentioned, kept rearing its head, then that probably was not relevant. I just thought if it was a new issue or if he was breaking it off for no apparent reason or some crazy reason he concocted in his head, that might indicate what state of mind he was in or how he was feeling that night.

Your last comments: Equally as likely IMO. And thanks : ) By the way, I appreciate your postings, all of which have been very insightful and thought-provoking.

Thank you for your response. My information above about the different applications and ways to communicate with others outside of sending a text message or placing a phone call with a smart phone was in response to family members stating there were no odd phone calls / messages on the AT&T billing statements, not in response to what LE may have found on the actual phone. I know that LE has capabilities of pulling up information on phones (and computers) that may have been deleted or that parents may not be able to access, and we haven't, obviously, been privy to their results. Thanks for clearing up the information on where the phone and computer is. Hoping that there is a real possibility that there may be some information on the computer or the phone that may prove useful in finding Bryce.

Thanks for explaining your (our) position. :)

Yes. If a messaging app is used it will just show up as data used. Forensically speaking, messages shared on that app could be retrieved if stored locally (and usually are) in a SQLite database. They would never show up as messages on billing. We were on the same page, I just needed a kick in the head to remember they're out there. If I were 20 years younger I'd have remembered... Okay, 30 years younger. ;)

Someone also posted asking if the car was running to keep the battery charged while the A/C was on.

ALL CARS, must have the engine running in order for the A/C to work. The serpentine belt must be spinning to spin the A/C compressor. If you shut the car off, it will blow cold for a few minutes, them blow warm

http://www.placerherald.com/article/family-continues-search-sierra-college-student

Laspisa had moved into his Roseville apartment Aug. 10, Mike and Karen Laspisa traveling to Placer County to help their son settle in. On Thursday, Aug. 29, at about 10 a.m., Karen Laspisa learned that her son had run out of gas on his way home to Laguna Niguel — a road trip she was not aware her son was taking. A roadside service agency delivered 3 gallons of gas to Bryce Laspisa in Buttonwillow, a small community in Kern County, and the Laspisas’ credit card was charged.
Not able to reach her son, Karen Laspisa waited until she thought he would be home, and then called the California Highway Patrol. They “pinged” her son’s cellphone, locating him at 9 p.m. only five miles down the road, still in Buttonwillow. The officers told Karen Laspisa Bryce was fine, there were no drugs of alcohol in his vehicle, and she was able to speak to her son, who told her he was on his way home.
Mike Laspisa spoke with his son around 2 a.m., when Bryce Laspisa said he had “had a detour,” and was on his way. The Laspisas told him to pull over somewhere safe and rest, and a few minutes later he called to say he had pulled off Interstate 5 in a suburban area and was going to sleep in his car. At 8 a.m., officers arrived at the Laspisas’ home to inform them their vehicle had been found wrecked near Castaic Lake.
“We did a very distinctive timeline, so we wouldn’t go crazy,” Karen Laspisa explained. “You use a computer — we went on ATT&T, we knew exactly what time those last phone calls came in from Bryce, but there’s this whole unknown of what was Bryce doing for nine hours in the Buttonwillow area?”
The Laspisas were told the back window of the vehicle had been broken, and blood had been found on the ground. Bryce Laspisa’s wallet, cellphone and laptop remained in the vehicle. Search dogs were able to follow a scent to the entrance into the recreation area, but then it dropped off.
“As his mom, what happened to him from there?” Karen Laspisa wondered. “And it’s all unknown, because we can sit here and speculate all kinds of stuff. Is foul play involved? I don’t know. I have to wait on detectives to tell me what their opinion is.”
Laspisa is described as a white male with red hair, 5 feet, 10.5 inches tall, weighing 160 pounds, with a distinctive tattoo on his arm. Anybody with information as to his whereabouts is urged to call the Castaic California Highway Patrol at (661) 294-5530 or Castaic Lake Recreation Area at (661) 257-4050.
“We’ve always had a very close, loving relationship with our son, very open,” Karen Laspisa said. “If he’s not hurt or injured, for him to be away this long intentionally — my husband and I cannot fathom that our son would put his loved ones through something like this.”

According to Sgt. Richard Pena with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, Laspisa’s 2003 Toyota Highlander was found crashed in a ditch in Castaic Lake in Los Angeles County, but a body found in a brush fire near the scene was determined to not be Laspisa. Pena said authorities searched Castaic extensively for Laspisa, but “they searched everywhere they could possibly search,” and the sheriff’s department called it off.
“They went around the entire lake, searched 80 feet deep in all the coves,” he said. “We used an incredible amount of resources. We used out patrol guys, mounted enforcement detail, emergency services divers, the helicopters, the boats, L.A. County lifeguards were there — and there was just nowhere else to look.”
“It’s a search designed to find somebody who wants to be found,” Pena said. “In other words, you’re not searching places and then leaving people there in case the person comes back. You’re taking into account that the person wants to be found, and we weren’t able to locate him.”

http://www.placerherald.com/article/family-continues-search-sierra-college-student

Many aspects of this case are beginning to sound like the Linnea Lomax case. :( JMO

Note quote from Sgt. Pena above. "It's a search designed to find someone who wants to be found. In other words, you're not searching places and then leaving people there in case the person comes back. You're taking into account that the person wants to be found, and we weren't able to locate him."

Not sure if this is one of the new investigators, or the old one...

Frustrating!!!! Hope the detectives give his family some answers tomorrow.

Local Ca news had a small piece about a missing Asian gal. Nothing zero about Bryce. No media, or PC's really strange for a local missing person case of this calibre. Shouldn't team Amber be handling this? or have a designated media spokesperson for the family? This case seems to be going cold quick. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Local Ca news had a small piece about a missing Asian gal. Nothing zero about Bryce. No media, or PC's really strange for a local missing person case of this calibre. Shouldn't team Amber be handling this? or have a designated media spokesperson for the family? This case seems to be going cold quick. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Agreed. Haven't heard anything in Chicago since last Thursday (I think?) when they said the search was called off. We're hearing from the family that it is not true, but no one else seems to know that...therefore, the media is no longer talking about it. Very sad.....

Note quote from Sgt. Pena above. "It's a search designed to find someone who wants to be found. In other words, you're not searching places and then leaving people there in case the person comes back. You're taking into account that the person wants to be found, and we weren't able to locate him."

Not sure if this is one of the new investigators, or the old one...

JMO but that's pretty strange wording from LE.

I hope there's more info tomorrow. I feel like we keep hearing that detective will be giving the family info "tomorrow" and tomorrow just doesn't come. Maybe they're hearing things we aren't, though. I hope.

I know. :( Linnea brought me here originally and I can't shake that feeling either.

Not familiar with Linnea...can you give me the reader's digest version of her story? Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PrancingJeeves