TN TN - Kathy Jones, 12, Nashville, 29 Nov 1969 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
December, you might want to check out the threads here on WS about Sharon Marshall and Floyd. This is the latest one.

Sharon Marshall - #5 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Thank you, I will read up on her. If there is a possibility this Floyd individual is involved I am going to tell the police. He is planted firmly in a jail if they need to interrogate him.

I am also going to make a list of questions for the police. I will try to keep it to a reasonable amount. But, I want to see what they can tell me. Surely they will be able to tell me more than what is in the Scene article. There may be things that were released to the press at some point in the past that just weren't in that article and that I can't find now.

Here is a bird's eye view that shows the house Kathy lived in with her family. It is the one with a car in front and in back (because it is now a duplex). Most of the houses around it are single family houses.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.as...yMDM3MjEwJTI1MkMlMjUyMFVuaXRlZCUyNTIwU3RhdGVz

The house at 304 Lutie Street was built in 1945. So, in 1969, it really wasn't an old house. Right now, it has 4 BR, 2 BA (divided into two sections). It probably wasn't laid out like that back in 1969, but that gives an idea of the type of house it was.

The neighborhood in Woodbine was built in the mid 1940s as a place for men who returned from WWII to settle down with their wives and start a family. The houses are close together, so I think the people who lived there in 1969 would know each other.

At the time, I think it was a neighborhood with a lot of kids. Just looking at photos, it seems to be more variety now.. some young people starting out, some people who have lived there some years... basically, some with kids and some without. BUT, generally speaking, it gives a decent idea of what the neighborhood could have looked like back in 1969.

P.S. Excuse this map... I tried to get the photo to go to my computer and save it off, but I can't figure out how. This makes me feel super stupid, but I learned how to do all of that on a Mac! This isn't a Mac. (embarrassed)

mc7pxz.jpg

The sign for the Krispy Kreme. The store has changed since then, but the sign remains the same.

An older example of a Krispy Kreme
2pru4yg.jpg

The Krispy Kreme is at 408 Thompson Lane. But, it's a new store. When they changed the road, they tore down the old store and built a new store. The "older example of a Kripsy Kreme" is more to give the idea of what the store that was originally there looked like.

ETA:
If people think it would be useful, I will write Krispy Kreme and see if they have any photos of the store as it originally was and see if they can tell me if the address the current store had is the same address the old store had.

Another ETA
I have searched in vain for the old store photo online..

I found a 2008 article from The Tennessean (a bigger newspaper)
Link:
http://search.proquest.com/news/docview/239904415/fulltext?accountid=33208#

Summary:

Melina S. Maxwell of Nashville says she was a good friend of Kathy's. She wonders if the murder will be solved.

In 1969, the newspapers used photos of Kathy's skates in the field of weeds as a "gripping public image" of the murder.

Brief quote (to give people an idea of what happened if they can't bear to read the graphic account published by the Scene):
she was bound, sexually assaulted, choked and killed by having one of her own socks stuffed down her throat.

Mentions that Nov. 29 was cold. And that Kathy was walking from "her Woodbine neighborhood" to a roller rink (Thompson Lane).

Calls Kathy a "blue eyed sixth grader" (I thought she was identified as being in 5th grade, but 12 does seem too old to be 5th.. so maybe 5th was the last grade she completed while she was currently in 6th?)

Another quote:
Jones' white boot skates had been a gift from an aunt. She had earned the $1 roller rink admission earlier that day by helping her mother with house chores.

(Hmm.. maybe it was her aunt and my cousin and that is the explanation for the aunt/cousin thing? IDK, I guess that part isn't important since the person who gave her the skates has more than likely died by now. Earning the $1 by helping with chores.. this i had heard before, but forgot.)

Talks about the investigation into Adcox including Adcox's confession to a cellmate, his molestation of an 8 year old boy, and his threats to the boy that concerned Kathy.

Quote:

However, the next year prosecutors decided to drop the Jones case charges against Adcox. District Attorney General Tom Shriver cited a problem with witnesses.

Talks about Micky Miller saying ten years ago (the 1998 article) there was a suspect. The Tennessean followed up on that with this article and got this response from Pat Postiglione of the Homicide/Cold Case Unit:

Quote:

"I have personally worked on this case and clearly understand what horror this young girl must have gone through," he wrote in an e-mail. "Because of new DNA technology, which as you know is constantly evolving, there is real hope that we can solve this particular case."

Postiglione says (in 2008) that they still periodically work the case looking for new information or witnesses.

ETA:

So, Kathy had blonde hair and blue eyes. I wasn't sure about her eye color.

December, thank you for sharing your horrific story with us. As you will come to find out, the members here are very passionate about crimes against children. I know time has passed, but my heart breaks for you. My brother , and SIL , were murdered in 2008 (link in my siggy) but the passage of time has not yet dimmed the pain. Please accept my heart felt sympathy on your loss. I will add a special prayer to my nightly ones. <modsnip> May your nights bring you comfort, and may you pain subside..I am Cherokee, and below is a special Cherokee prayer, for you and your family. God Bless!
Cherokee Prayer Blessing

May the Warm Winds of Heaven

Blow softly upon your house.

May the Great Spirit

Bless all who enter there.

May your Mocassins

Make happy tracks

in many snows,

and may the Rainbow

Always touch your shoulder.

Thank you. I appreciate your kind words. I hope we can.

I am thinking of calling the police and asking them what is going on right now. I am wondering what is going on with these suspects and if they're even still alive.

Adcox definitely had an arrest record, but I can't find it. If he was still alive, I believe he'd be about 87years old right now. The other one is younger than Adcox. I'm not sure about a lot of things involving him.

I have been wanting to ask you, since you do such a good job on the cases you research, how do you find so much information? I want to do research for Kathy and I can't figure out how to get all of the newspaper articles. Do you go to the library?

National and International Databases and Resources - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Families of the Missing-Resources, helps, tips - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Set up a Face book account for her.

December, thank you for sharing your horrific story with us. As you will come to find out, the members here are very passionate about crimes against children. I know time has passed, but my heart breaks for you. My brother , and SIL , were murdered in 2008 (link in my siggy) but the passage of time has not yet dimmed the pain. Please accept my heart felt sympathy on your loss. I will add a special prayer to my nightly ones. <modsnip> May your nights bring you comfort, and may you pain subside..I am Cherokee, and below is a special Cherokee prayer, for you and your family. God Bless!
Cherokee Prayer Blessing

May the Warm Winds of Heaven

Blow softly upon your house.

May the Great Spirit

Bless all who enter there.

May your Mocassins

Make happy tracks

in many snows,

and may the Rainbow

Always touch your shoulder.

Thank you so much, Tulessa.

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother and sister-in-law. I will look at their link.

I appreciate your prayers, the Cherokee prayer is very beautiful. It is touching and I really could use it. (crying)

(composes self)

I appreciate you asking on the forensic astrology page. I think they have some good insight to events. I had thought about asking, but I do not know if I have enough definite times for them to procede. Maybe they will be able to. It can't hurt.

I was looking through the first link... So Pat Postilgione is still in charge of the Cold Case Unit part of the Homicide Division (or however they call it). That is good information because I have read at least two different things where he has mentioned specifically Kathy's case so I know he has studied her file.

Hi December,

I apologise that it took so long to be in touch in regards to the Craigslist posting. The following is what I have posted. I will update you as soon as/if I hear anything from anyone. Thinking of you and your family today, and praying you feel the peace that has escaped you for so long :(

CL nashville community general community
Reply to: craigslist reply address will appear here Posted: 2013-09-28, 7:55AM CDT
Kathy Jones, Age 12, Missing Nashville TN- 1969 (Nashville, TN)
I am currently looking for anyone who has any information on Kathy Jones who went missing on a night where she was headed to the Rollerdrome and Krispy Kreme. Kathy was found raped and murdered days later. At the present moment, a family member is desperately trying to bring justice to sweet, innocent Kathy. At the moment, the family member knows very little. It is unknown if Kathy even made it to the Rollerdrome or Krispy Kreme that night.

I realize that 1969 was a long time ago, but if you have any information, no matter how small, please contact me, you never know which small detail could bring justice to a 12 year old who only wanted to enjoy her new skates.
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Link to CL posting: http://nashville.craigslist.org/com/4096248232.html

Angels Not Forgotten, that is a beautifully written post. If that doesn't get people's attention, I don't know what will. Maybe someone who knows would see it. Thank you so much for doing this and writing such a touching post about Kathy.

I was asked if Kathy would accept a ride from someone she knew. I can't say for sure, but I think a lot of people would do this. So, yes... she very well might do that.

I have also been thinking of SK type lures someone might use and if she'd perhaps fall for them... some of them she was too old for it to work, but otherwise.. IDK...

http://www.childluresprevention.com/research/profile.asp

I checked this page on child lures. It has a lot of information about the type of person who attacks children. However, this is the part that pertains to this situation:

Common strategies include:

Taking jobs and participating in community events that involve children.
Attending sporting events for children and/or offering to coach children's sports.
Loitering in places children frequent - playgrounds, malls, game arcades, etc.

and this

Which age group is most often targeted by child molesters?

In the interviews I conducted, the majority of molesters cited a preference for children on the brink of puberty.

Another article that does list 16 different tactics
http://www.cbs8.com/story/12112885/16-most-common-lures-used-by-child-predators

Assistance Lure

Using an assistance lure predators will ask children for help with directions or help carrying something.

I could see her stopping to give someone directions. A lot of kids get snatched this way. And this might pertain to the blue truck.

Emergency Lure

Predators will fake a crisis to trick kids and teens into willingly going with them. For example, they will tell the child, "Your father has been hurt and is in the hospital. I've been sent to take you to him."

This would have worked.

Fame and Ego Lure

Sex offenders will offer a child or teen an audition or private tryout to get them to keep the abuse secret.

Since she had her skates with her, someone could easily have engaged her in conversation claiming they'd seen her skate and she was really good, blah blah. I believe they had skating competitions at the rollerdrome. Such a conversation would maybe let the person close in on her pretty easily.

Also, there really is an entertainment side of Nashville and has been for a long time. I don't know that someone played that angle, but things are going on there where it might seem plausible to a kid that there is a local TV show or something that was casting.

Finally, with the mall having opened in 1968... The malls all used to do various things where they had local girls model outfits. It was a big deal to be chosen. A mall had just opened right down the road.

I don't know if any of these lures would be necessary because, very likely, the rollerdrome bus was involved in this. But, thinking of other scenarios.

I'm sorry to spam the thread... especially with the little posts, I was on my phone then.

r042mo.jpg

Finally, a good photo of Kathy. And part of an article.

It's sick they called it a "sex attack".. what the heck is up with that reporters from back in the day?

So, we find from this partial article (that originally ran in the Nashville Banner which was the afternoon paper in Nashville) that the "vacant lot" was located at 2806 Grandview Avenue (still behind the Krispy Kreme).

We also learn that a woman who lived next door to the lot heard "no unusual sounds" Saturday night and was away from home all day Sunday. I guess it is possible people at that time thought Kathy had been in the field since Saturday night, but the amount of things done to her would take more time than that.

The location that she was found was said to be "300 yards" from the
Rollerdrome.

Kathy was described as "shy and quiet" with Nora saying she wasn't old enough to be interested in boys yet.

ETA
I hope I didn't mess up the margins... I am sorry if I did.

Here are my own thoughts regarding the crime. This is my own profile of the predator that I came up with.

Kathy was abducted and taken somewhere. She was either lured into or forced into a vehicle. The abductor likely took Kathy to a secluded place somewhere around the Nashville area.

Kathy was bound and tied. The sock was placed in her mouth to muffle her screams while brutal unspeakable acts were committed against her.

I believe Kathy was murdered in the secluded place where she was held captive. The killer wanted Kathy to be found, and had her body and personal belongings placed in the area near where she lived.

Kathy was murdered because she either knew her killer or the killer was afraid she could provide police a good suspect description. I believe her abductor and murderer likely was someone who was known to the police.

The brutal nature of Kathy’s murder leads me to believe that her abductor is a pedophile who is involved in bondage, S&M, and torture.

While there is a possibility that her killer could be involved in a pedo ring, I don’t think more than one or two persons were involved with this horrible crime.

Another possibility that cannot be overlooked is that her killer may have been in the military or had a previous military background.

Her killer might have been stationed at Fort Campbell at the time of the murder and could possibly have served overseas in Southeast Asia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne