CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your insight Amanda! We know that the keys were found in the ignition but I don't recall ever hearing if the car was running when found? This brings the question that if it was not running and the steering wheel was in the "locked" position it could potentially go straight down a hill. It would also make braking very limited. If this was posted elsewhere I apologize. Thanks again for all of your hard work in bringing light to the location for us!!! Just hoping to find Bryce soon!!!

While it did go straight down the hill, there's acceleration marks on the ramp. It had to be in drive for acceleration marks.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Bryce-Laspisa-Missing-Person-Castaic-Lake-222226581.html

Per the video, at 0:28, "Friday at 5:30 a.m." (the vehicle was found).
The accompanying article gives other information but neither component alone tells the complete story. What's written in the article confuses understanding of the facts.

If the Toyota was found at 5:30 a.m., then the vehicle wrecked earlier.
(The article states the caller waited three hours until reporting the vehicle as per my previous post before I signed out last night.)

This is only one article but was written early on in the case.

the way i read it is the caller reported it 3 hours after Bryce last spoke to his mother.
"Family members said Laspisa last spoke with them Friday at about 2 a.m. from Buttonwillow, just west of Bakersfield. His 2003 Toyota Highlander was found by a caller who reported the vehicle to the California Highway Patrol about three hours later."

How do we know the time of the wreck?

Not possible. They have the car on video entering the park around 4:20am.

Are they certain Bryce was the one driving the car?

If he entered the park (the second time, right?) at 4:20 a.m., and the wreck was discovered at 5:30 a.m., it happened within one hour. Therefore, when the wreck was noticed, Bryce couldn't have been too far away.

Unless Bryce wasn't the person driving the car at 4:20 a.m.

the way i read it is the caller reported it 3 hours after Bryce last spoke to his mother.
"Family members said Laspisa last spoke with them Friday at about 2 a.m. from Buttonwillow, just west of Bakersfield. His 2003 Toyota Highlander was found by a caller who reported the vehicle to the California Highway Patrol about three hours later."

3 hrs later from when he last spoke with his mom.

If he entered the park (the second time, right?) at 4:20 a.m., and the wreck was discovered at 5:30 a.m., it happened within one hour. Therefore, when the wreck was noticed, Bryce couldn't have been too far away.

unless he was picked up by someone

Perhaps he ducked into that area thinking the car behind him with the cleared fishermen was LE....unless the fisherman wouldn't have been that Far East on Lake Hughes Rd. Are there fishing spots east of the spot he turned off the road by the tower?

Now that I had had time to review all the pictures, I can't see him trying to go around the back of the tower structure to sleep due to the incline on the back side of the tower, and I also do not see him using it as a turnaround. A three point turn on Lake Hughes road would have made much more sense. I am still thinking 20% pull off to rest and 80% an ill thought out attempt to get to the boat ramp. Now keep in mind that if he knew how the four wheel drive worked, even if he had gone part of the way down (say 20'), he could have put it in four wheel drive low range and reverse and backed up the hill. I bet that ride down in the dark was white knuckled terror....

Also wanted to note that in those pictures, it looks like more than one vehicle has been down in there. He might have followed older ATV tacks thinking it was a trail.

If KS had brought the items to the search area (and thus handled them and/or had them in her possession for several hours) and had previously searched in the area would that have a possibility of contaminating the items and or search area?

Not really, unless she was also with him in the area, and we know she wasn't. The dogs would get her scent off the clothes, but would have no hits on that in the area. If they get a hit and track, it is a scent that matches the clothing. If you brought my clothing there, they would not hit at all. They can distinguish amongst scents and follow one that they find. If there is a hit, you can say they are following the scent of someone who has handled that clothing.

This is the search path of the bloodhounds I couldn't get to load last night

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_150 Oct. 09 22.23.jpg
    ScreenHunter_150 Oct. 09 22.23.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 175

Thank you! Yes, makes sense now. Now you know why I logged out when I did last night!
So if those are facts, then the timeline is narrowed.
Spoke to mom; shortly thereafter wrecked his car (cause unknown).

Still, I wish reporters would state facts concretely.

has it been determined when poice checked on him, where him and the car were located? was it on the street? in a parking lot?

Apparently the camera only focuses on the license plates but they are pretty certain it was BL driving because of the blood in the car.

I agree. He could not have been far but I believe they didn't start searching until after they spoke with KL to confirm the car wasn't stolen. I think that was around 8-8:30

I assuming based on the fact the word "drops" were used, that it was probably no more than a TSP or so.

No clue in this case, but in a case I have where "drops" are frequently mentioned, they are so small that you cannot see them unless you REALLY look closely. Like less than a mm. I don't think they would call anything significant a drop.

While it did go straight down the hill, there's acceleration marks on the ramp. It had to be in drive for acceleration marks.

I would think that if he unintentionally was headed down a steep hill that came up on him by surprise that we would have seen evidence that he slammed on his breaks, tried a sharp turn left to stop his vehicle, ebrake stop, something dramatic to stop his car (possibly even flipping his car prior to the drop off.) Maybe I am not truly understanding the area, slope, etc. but it seems to me like he intentionally made that drive down the hill. (Why knows why???)

Here are pics of the vehicle.
Note: Windshield not broken
paint on tires match paint on road

Hopefully this will confirm to everyone that car went down the hill and was found on road

Attachments

• accident site debris.jpg
    accident site debris.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 304
  • accident paint.jpg
    accident paint.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 265
  • car windshield.jpg
    car windshield.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 318
  • car accident 2.jpg
    car accident 2.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 304
Now that I had had time to review all the pictures, I can't see him trying to go around the back of the tower structure to sleep due to the incline on the back side of the tower, and I also do not see him using it as a turnaround. A three point turn on Lake Hughes road would have made much more sense. I am still thinking 20% pull off to rest and 80% an ill thought out attempt to get to the boat ramp. Now keep in mind that if he knew how the four wheel drive worked, even if he had gone part of the way down (say 20'), he could have put it in four wheel drive low range and reverse and backed up the hill. I bet that ride down in the dark was white knuckled terror....

Also wanted to note that in those pictures, it looks like more than one vehicle has been down in there. He might have followed older ATV tacks thinking it was a trail.

I'm sticking to my guns on this...a 3 point turn was not possible. I'm starting to think I may need to go back and get pictures of this.

As far as sleeping goes, he may have gone in there thinking he could sleep behind it and then realized he couldn't too late? But my theory I think makes the most sense with what we have (as far as how the accident happened).

Going to sleep doesn't really make sense because by then it was 4:00am approx. His accident happened there, so he was there likely very close to that time, so by then he already had been there for 2 hours and likely already slept.

The accident occurred after he went to sleep based on the time line and what I could see. He probably got off the free way on Lake Hughes Rd. He continued on that road for awhile, when he finally found the turn out for either the flying lessons or the church and went to sleep there. When he reversed out either of those turn outs he likely went the wrong direction. He realized he went in the wrong direction, saw the driveway and tries to accelerate to get up the ramp (it's steep), and by the time he realizes that's not an area you can use to uturn, it's too late and he's going down the hill.

I don't think I'd consider turning on my 4x4 and going in to reverse when going down a mountain, I wouldn't even know it was possible, I'd be holding on for dear life.

unless he was picked up by someone

I believe he may have been picked up too. At least that possibility offers hope he ran away so-to-speak. If he crashed at 4:30 a.m. (video shows car at 4:20), that's still a tight window for him to get away. Unless the person was waiting right there and Bryce wasn't even in the Toyota when it crashed.

Can't explain the blood though because wouldn't he take what he wanted out of the car before sending it down?
Is it possilbe the vehicle crashed via some kind of fishtail accident? Or are they certain it rolled?

has it been determined when poice checked on him, where him and the car were located? was it on the street? in a parking lot?

Dragracerz stated he wasn't at a hotel/motel and wasn't in the parking lot either. Your guess is as good as mine as to why the dispatch report states he was at a hotel. That's bad reporting on LE's part. I spoke to several and asked if they would report he was "at a hotel" if he was parked on a street and the hotel was the closest physical building to where he was located and they said absolutely not, they would indicate he was found in his car on XXXX street. Maybe that's just the way they do it in Kern County?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonhope55