MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting all that info on DAH guys. I feel a little better now because it sounds like LE did check him out in relation to Jacob's case.

Like I said before, DAH was in prison beginning May 1990, then civilly committed in 1996. He was free to commit crimes when Jacob was abducted. I don't know how he could be ruled out. I would question his alibi if he had one.

Also, his home in Belgrade is only 42 miles from St Joseph's and 15 miles from Paynesville. Both cities being on the same highway.

DAH picture:

DAH.jpg

So I wonder....based upon DAH pic.....is this oath for the military and/or police? In 1965 the Vietnam War was heating up.....wonder what his experiences (if any) were?

I wish we had a better picture of him...one that is straight-on, not at an angle, and of course something more recent. I tried google image search but no luck.

Here is an excerpt from the 1/30/90 Paynesville Press. Kandiyohi County is centered around Willmar, is south of Belgrade and just west of Paynesville:

"Duane Hart, a Paynesville native, was arrested last week near Belgrade and charged in Kandiyohi County for molesting boys. The arrest stemmed from investigations by the Jacob Wetterling Task Force, but Kandiyohi County Sheriff Larry Kleinhuizen said that last Friday charges against Hart were not connected with the Jacob Wetterling abduction. According to Byron Gigler, an FBI spokesman, there remains no known connection between Hart and the Wetterling case.

Kleinhuizen said the incidents of fondling the boys date to 1987 and the fall of 1989 and occurred in northeastern Kandoyohi County. Hart allegedly offered boys presents to lure them and on one occasion offered a boy $5.

Hart was arrested at Kay Farms near Brooten.

ELOC, I am wondering why you did not post this information before?

Shergal and Elosoul, I did a criminal check on the MN database and didn't find anything with the name you gave me.

However, I searched some more on the Paynesville Press and found more articles with some more info. Shergal, DAH was born and raised in Paynesville and moved to Belgrade. I must not have put that on my post when I found the article.

What I found all from the Paynesville Press:

04/1/1986: Possible attempted child abduction. a 12 year old boy was walking near G & T Foods (224 James St Paynesville, 2 blocks from elementary school) and was asked if he wanted a ride or if he wanted to go to "toyland". He said no to both questions and kept walking. Suspects car was an old blue 4 door square in size.

12/9/86: An article warning parents of 2 incidents with 13 year old boys- one in August (1986) and one on November 30 (1986). Both were attacked from behind and verbally threatened. The second victim was sexually assaulted.

05/26/87: A father of a victim sent a letter to the editor saying someone is molesting boys in the 6th through 10th grades and his son was one of them. He said his son was being picked on at school because other students found out. The father asked why isn't the police or the community doing anything. I have the names, but I will keep them.

12/11/90: An article about Patty Wetterling talking to school children written by Linda Stellig titled "Wetterling Urge Children to Speak Out".
Clipped by me, "After Jacob's abduction, one boy came forward and told how he had been abused by one man. After he talked to authorities, they found that the same man had molested more than 80 kids." WHO ABUSED MORE THAN 80 KIDS? (my thought)

Thanks. This was DAH. As you post these things, it comes back to me. Thank you so much!

First it came out in the news that someone had come forward about DAH. I know I was so hoping! And then it was announced that LE said he had nothing to do with it. Why? I know it was not stated that I heard. Maybe it is somewhere.

it kind of looks like he has stick out ears.

We are so used to DNA nowadays, but DNA was just starting in 1989. I am not sure how it worked back then. It is so much more sophisticated nowadays.

What did they have re Jared? Who knows.

I recall, but have no idea when, that Patty was on Oprah as well. I remember that a woman called in and said if she knew something what should she do.
That is all I have ever heard.

There were posters of Jacob all over the US. They were at truck stops, at gas stations, at stores. Everywhere.

Once again, Jacob had his hockey jacket on with his name on it.

As an aside, I really hope that the attorneys who are fighting to release the civilly committed sex offenders
at Moose Lake State hospital in Minnesota get their just reward. Maybe I will get Karma for that statement, but do you think that DAH is any different than the rest of the people locked up there? Mercy on us if those what? not humans, get released

Sorry, it didn't pick up the full link when I copied it:

check out the 2nd video around :32 on - I think that may be your 3 wheeler, they have several shots of LE driving all over both the road and DR's driveway with 3 wheelers, looking in the ditches.

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=875911&catid=396
http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=875817

So the entire PLS was contaminated by horses and ATC's? Great... Even a rookie yokel policeman knows better than that.

Tracker Tom Brown himself would have a heck of a time sorting that one out and he's the best in the business... I'm going to hit the ATV shops and see what old tires are laying around.

Just unfathomable to me that a crime scene would be so contaminated...

ELOC, I am wondering why you did not post this information before?

JBrown had already posted the information about this article back in August. Example below, and there were several other posts shortly after.

08-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Jbrown324320

According to the article, he was arrested at Kay Farms near Brooten. Here is a clip from the article:
Quote:
The arrest stemmed from
investigations by the Jacob Wetterling
Task Force, but Kandiyohi County
Sheriff Larry Kleinhuizen said last
Friday that charges against Hart were not
connected with the Jacob Wettlerling
abduction. According to Byron Gigler,
an FBI spokesman, there remains no
known connection between Hart and the
Wetterling case.
according to that link to the court file on this guy, he had 400-700 incidents with two brothers in 5 years, he used force and coercion and he doesn't think he has a problem.

So the entire PLS was contaminated by horses and ATC's? Great... Even a rookie yokel policeman knows better than that.

Tracker Tom Brown himself would have a heck of a time sorting that one out and he's the best in the business... I'm going to hit the ATV shops and see what old tires are laying around.

Just unfathomable to me that a crime scene would be so contaminated...

I've found several articles (see below) that say there were only ONE set of tire tracks though. So maybe after they got the plaster cast of those tracks, they felt ok in driving all over with their 3 wheelers?

1. "Police speculate the kidnapper put Jacob in a vehicle and drove away. Investigators made plaster casts of a tire track and footprints on a dirt road near 91st Avenue, the paved road where the boys encountered the man."

2. "Grafft, the FBI, and other investigators questioned a man at an Avon, Minn., motel Monday night regarding the kidnapping, but Grafft said the man had an alibi for Sunday night and his car tires did not match prints of a car track made at the kidnap scene." ("a" as in singular tracks)

3. "They were about halfway home when a man wearing dark clothing, black boots and carrying a pistol walked out of a long gravel driveway leading to a farm. 'He had a mask; it looked like pantyhose, on his head,' Trevor said." (So there should have been boot tracks.)

"A dog was unable to find any trail in the area Sunday evening, and on Monday a bloodhound from the Minneapolis Police Department also was unable to follow any trace more than 100 yards from where the boys' bicycles were found in a ditch off 91st Avenue." On Tuesday, deputies began searching an area from the abduction site out 12-15 miles. So the 3 wheelers shown in the video may have been from Tuesday.

Excerpts from: St. Paul Pioneer Press (MN)
October 23, 1989; October 24, 1989; and October 27, 1989.

This one below is from the Grand Forks Herald, on the 10 year anniversary, Oct. 22.1989. I think the part I have bolded is just bad reporting though, because I've never heard they matched the tire tracks and shoe print to a suspect who was later eliminated.

"Within minutes, law enforcement was on the scene. They found a shoeprint and tire tracks and later matched them to a suspect, who was later eliminated. No arrests have been made. In 10 years, the Stearns County Sheriff's Department has had more than 28,000 tips and leads, and they haven't stopped looking."

PonderingU, I agree with Shergal that it probably was a mistake by the obit people, but the perp could be switching his middle for his first name to try to go under the radar. Or some people go by their middle name informally and on formal paperwork by the first name. My uncle does that.

shergal, I wish they would have stated why each person was eliminated. And the dogs tracking the scent up the driveway 100 yards and then losing it (in addition to the smaller footprints stopping) leads me to believe some sort of vehicle was used. I never understood why all of a sudden LE said a vehicle wasn't used.

human, none of the Paynesville Press newspaper articles I mentioned in my post had named a suspect. Do you think DAH is connected to all of it?

From Joy's blog, the last sentence of the article regarding the 1987 assaults - it certainly ties in with someone's previous suggestion that area school teachers could have been notified of the perp's MO. Maybe Jacob's perp was a copycat after all.....

Sgt. Drager is also considering talking to the school administrators so that teachers can help make students aware of what is happening.”

Thanks. This was DAH. As you post these things, it comes back to me. Thank you so much!

First it came out in the news that someone had come forward about DAH. I know I was so hoping! And then it was announced that LE said he had nothing to do with it. Why? I know it was not stated that I heard. Maybe it is somewhere.

it kind of looks like he has stick out ears.

We are so used to DNA nowadays, but DNA was just starting in 1989. I am not sure how it worked back then. It is so much more sophisticated nowadays.

What did they have re Jared? Who knows.

I recall, but have no idea when, that Patty was on Oprah as well. I remember that a woman called in and said if she knew something what should she do.
That is all I have ever heard.

There were posters of Jacob all over the US. They were at truck stops, at gas stations, at stores. Everywhere.

Once again, Jacob had his hockey jacket on with his name on it.

As an aside, I really hope that the attorneys who are fighting to release the civilly committed sex offenders
at Moose Lake State hospital in Minnesota get their just reward. Maybe I will get Karma for that statement, but do you think that DAH is any different than the rest of the people locked up there? Mercy on us if those what? not humans, get released

I'm not sure if I think DAH was responsible for all of these. Unless he changed his MO and grew bolder as he went along. It seems he started out molesting boys he knew. Offering them bribes, booze, whatever. He may have moved on to threats. But he didn't seem to be the type to just grab boys he didn't know off the street. ALthough I suppose he could have done that when under the influence of drinking or drugs. You have to wonder just how many molesters were in that area though.

I agree with you human, on releasing violent sex offenders. IMO, they can't be rehabilitated and should be locked up for life.

I re-read the article that came with the picture of DAH. He was being sworn in as the first person to attend the Paynesville Job Corps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolofeist