GUILTY NH - AH, 14, North Conway, 9 October 2013 - # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
(respectfully snipped by me)

Related to people talking or not talking locally, there will should be a story coming out tonight in one of the NH papers about tips for parents on how to help spots issues with their kids who may be having trouble articulating their feelings right now around their missing classmate. The people I get most concerned with right now are the ones who have gone quiet, especially the kids. Not in terms of them not telling people important info, more just in terms of their own behavioral health issues.

BBM (Bolded By Me) Thanks Mr. Kirsch for posting this. It is such an important message for any community to understand. While we, here, are focused on Abby, there is an impact on the entire population of North Conway, especially the youth in high school.

If a "rumor" has to do with a person, forget it. :)

And, personal social media pages are off limits unless they belong to a victim or suspect. Even then, their "friends" are off limits.

Let me clarify something because the question has been asked. If you read of a "sighting" for instance, on a FB page or as a comment to a media article, simply mentioning it is not a problem. Specifiy that it's a "rumor", unofficial, and where you read it. Then include a link and direct others to it using intials and/or a date and time. The line is crossed when you begin to speculate on the rumor. Theories should always be based on reported facts, and while those are not guaranteed to be 100% accurate, as we well know, it's a guideline we follow on WS.
:bump:

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20131114/NEWS07/131119544&source=RSS

This is a fantastic informational article........ now you guys see what I have been trying to tell you guys about these kids?????? Trust meeeeeee!!!!!! I know!!! I have been through what these kids are trying to deal with when I was their age.... its the most unhealthy mental distress ever and no child should EVER have to deal with these things....... so those who said or asked why these kids don't seem to be talking or using social media at the moment..... they shouldn't be, thry don't want to they are scared!!!!!!!! And their parents may have even told them as well as the police agencies.... be careful, be calm, be quiet and take care of yourselves.........this is tooooo stressful for them!!!!!

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20131114/NEWS07/131119544&source=RSS

This is a fantastic informational article........ now you guys see what I have been trying to tell you guys about these kids?????? Trust meeeeeee!!!!!! I know!!! I have been through what these kids are trying to deal with when I was their age.... its the most unhealthy mental distress ever and no child should EVER have to deal with these things....... so those who said or asked why these kids don't seem to be talking or using social media at the moment..... they shouldn't be, thry don't want to they are scared!!!!!!!! And their parents may have even told them as well as the police agencies.... be careful, be calm, be quiet and take care of yourselves.........this is tooooo stressful for them!!!!!

When I mean calm and quiet, I mean social media...... and the news broadcasts, etc

And I probably timed your kids at the Kennett XC & track meets too, I always work the finish line- one of my favorite running events each year to help with and to set up the course for. Nothing more inspiring than watching a high school runner give it their all at the finish line. Whether they are 5 minute or 15 minute milers, they all push hard at the finish.

I did not mean to imply most comments on here are hurtful or mean, more just a general reminder and awareness about the real human lives caught in the middle of all of this.

Related to people talking or not talking locally, there will should be a story coming out tonight in one of the NH papers about tips for parents on how to help spots issues with their kids who may be having trouble articulating their feelings right now around their missing classmate. The people I get most concerned with right now are the ones who have gone quiet, especially the kids. Not in terms of them not telling people important info, more just in terms of their own behavioral health issues.

I will also say, the support from complete strangers both near and far is appreciated. I'm in the process of shipping out about 25 magnetic missing signs tomorrow to truck drivers and other long commuters who all just wanted to know how they could help get the word out- and none of them know Abby, but they have kids too. If any of you have any ideas on other creative ways to spread the word, let me know. I'm happy to try anything.

Good to hear they are putting support in place for the school children. I would hope they also focus on the younger children as well since some have older siblings that went to school with AH, just a suggestion that I worry about. Also, I think it would be a good idea to teach children how to safeguard themselves. It helps everyone relax when you know what to do and gives the children a way to get out their fears and frustrations.
Another way I would suggest getting the word out is to contact grocery chains and see if they would put her missing posters on the ad space on the shopping carts. Don't know if you've seen them, but on the shopping carts they have these attachments that you can put ads on. I would also suggest a mailing campaign to area other state's sheriff departments and state police units to make sure they have the fliers. Can't hurt, and I'm thinking of other states since there's no indication of where she might be and the other states might not be on the lookout for her. You could contact someone like John Walsh, but that's a double edged sword because of the media issue. I would also focus on areas where the older generation would be looking, since many of them are not on the internet like we are. Contact Yankee magazine and see if they would put her picture in? Couldn't hurt to ask. Send out press releases to the major newspapers, that way you can control what is written. Lastly, it might cost a few hundred dollars, but I'd have a sit down with a PR firm and see what they might suggest. They know how to get info out and would likely have some really good ideas. Given the situation they may even give their advice for a reduced price.

When I mean calm and quiet, I mean social media...... and the news broadcasts, etc

I didn't say they weren't using social media, I said they were using it and not posting about their friend and how odd that it seemed she was simply forgotten. If they hadn't been using social media at all, that would be understandable. What was so grotesque to me was one who spoke on camera (can't remember when it was) and then posted and asked people if she looked pretty. It seemed so cold and callous. I get not posting, that's not what I was referring to. I was referring to those who claimed to be close friends and yet posted as if she had never existed, didn't attend online vigils and hadn't even added her missing poster to their status. Just wanted to clarify that issue.
I think we're on the same page with the whole media thing. It wouldn't be a good idea for the kids to be talking to the press. I'm sure there are rumors a-plenty among her peers in regards to why AH is missing and the last thing there needs to be is more misinformation in the press. And if there is someone who abducted AH we also don't need that person fixated on another child. Trouble is, kids at that age are so egocentric that they feel everything is their fault so I'm sure many of them feel guilt about what happened with AH. I still have grown adults who knew my sister tell me that they said something rude to her in the weeks before she disappeared and how they worry she may have not known they didn't mean it, or feeling guilt because they didn't see anything or didn't know more. So I'm sure many of her peers are feeling that same guilt, worried that they should have walked home with her, or they should have noticed something was going to happen. I'm relieved to see that the other children are being addressed and taken care of as well.

I didn't say they weren't using social media, I said they were using it and not posting about their friend and how odd that it seemed she was simply forgotten. If they hadn't been using social media at all, that would be understandable. What was so grotesque to me was one who spoke on camera (can't remember when it was) and then posted and asked people if she looked pretty. It seemed so cold and callous. I get not posting, that's not what I was referring to. I was referring to those who claimed to be close friends and yet posted as if she had never existed, didn't attend online vigils and hadn't even added her missing poster to their status. Just wanted to clarify that issue.

Oh I get what you mean :)

I think that the online vigil thing just IMO is something the kids should have kinda stayed away from just because there could be a perp and if there is, is he looking to start a collection of young girls??? that kind of thing, like idk how to totally word it rigt now (still working on the coffee lol) just that the best thing these kids could do is try to carry on, but it is so hard...... and kids have immature brains, and maybe one way of trying to just cope is using humor, facebook, and friendship or attention gaining techniques as a coping mechanism, without them even realizing it..... kids are kids..... kids are stubborn, want to be independent and make silly decisions.....

it's just a different time now..... Mom24, when your sister went missing and when my bestie was murdered.... we didn't have social media... if their were vigils, you went etc, the cops were there and all that.... but the whole social media thing didn't even exist so I guess its a little like out of our comprehension and way of thinking......... god i sound old lol

I really believe a presser should happen. Even if it's to say nothing new. Pressers keep the attention on Abby.

I think that we all see people's actions or lack of action differently. It doesn't make any of us right or wrong. That is why websleuths is so great so many different minds coming together.
No ones situation is the same so everyone's perspective helps.

Oh I get what you mean :)

I think that the online vigil thing just IMO is something the kids should have kinda stayed away from just because there could be a perp and if there is, is he looking to start a collection of young girls??? that kind of thing, like idk how to totally word it rigt now (still working on the coffee lol) just that the best thing these kids could do is try to carry on, but it is so hard...... and kids have immature brains, and maybe one way of trying to just cope is using humor, facebook, and friendship or attention gaining techniques as a coping mechanism, without them even realizing it..... kids are kids..... kids are stubborn, want to be independent and make silly decisions.....

bbm, I can see and agree with that. Makes sense. And in reply to your next post, we are old. No way around it. :) I so wish we had had things like amber alerts and more connection between local departments, but I'm happy we have them now.

bbm, I can see and agree with that. Makes sense. And in reply to your next post, we are old. No way around it. :) I so wish we had had things like amber alerts and more connection between local departments, but I'm happy we have them now.

oh i agree!!!!! in 1988 my 11 yr old friend was abducted .... i have to say that even though it was a terrible outcome in the end and amber alert maybe could have saved her... people saw the perp...... but LE did it the old fashion way, eyewitness accounts, door to door, handing out missing child posters, roadbloacks looking in every car and handing every one a poster....... even though she was found on day 4..... the case is still considered unsolved..... however there are reports that a serial killer confessed but his confession either was not taken seriously by the local LE or not enough evidence.....

Tommy Lynn Sells - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I like social media, but I don't think mainstream media attention should be neglected. Nor trying to spread the word about a case in "real life" either. For example, I was reading an article about Jacob Wetterling who went missing in 1989, and his family did things like a huge group went to a Vikings game, wearing t-shirts about Jacob and carrying signs, to be shown on national TV, they also had a human chain of 10,000 people to raise awareness, etc. And I feel like you would never see things like that nowadays. Another thing is that back in the late 80/early 90's, one way they would spread the word about a misisng child was through mailing missing posters to millions of homes. That might seem old-fashioned nowadays, but I really think people would at least take a look at a poster if they got one, because I'm thinking most Americans haven't received a missing child poster in decades. So I think social media should be a component to raising awareness about a missing child, but I don't think it should replace other methods.

I like social media, but I don't think mainstream media attention should be neglected. Nor trying to spread the word about a case in "real life" either. For example, I was reading an article about Jacob Wetterling who went missing in 1989, and his family did things like a huge group went to a Vikings game, wearing t-shirts about Jacob and carrying signs, to be shown on national TV, they also had a human chain of 10,000 people to raise awareness, etc. And I feel like you would never see things like that nowadays. Another thing is that back in the late 80/early 90's, one way they would spread the word about a misisng child was through mailing missing posters to millions of homes. That might seem old-fashioned nowadays, but I really think people would at least take a look at a poster if they got one, because I'm thinking most Americans haven't received a missing child poster in decades. So I think social media should be a component to raising awareness about a missing child, but I don't think it should replace other methods.

i remember those little cards that came once a week... even as a child I used to look at them every week!!!!!

After I go back and re-read what I just typed here, it's really long so, apologies for the length but...

I can't speak for other cases but for Abby, it has not replaced, just enhanced. You are completely right, it can't be the only component.

On average I think I have read that a person sees 10,000 images a day -just look at the webpage you are on right now, you are bombarded with them. So our trick is to continue to find ways to make Abby stand out among that overload of images.

One way has been the "Missing" magnets- we have them traveling on trucks and cars throughout New England and a woodchip truck with a 9 foot high missing poster on it traveling around Northern and Central, NH. We also have been mailing out missing posters to anyone who wants them. If any of you are interested in them, when people ask me how they can help with that, I ask them to hit bus stops, train stations and airports first. I know they have them at some airports already. It's also the reason I have the posters for her at the website- posters shared on facebook are low resolution pictures that print pretty badly. You need a print-resolution pdf (ideally 3 times as dense as your computer screen) and by having those on the website I can tell people "when you go to Staples to get posters made, tell them to get the pdf from the website" rather than making copies, which degrade in quality.

People adding it to their blogs as a side banner has been helpful too. When I look at the demographics of who has hit the bringabbyhome.com website and see it's pretty much every state in the country except a couple out West, that's helpful too. I can also tell, through the use of technology, how people are viewing the page, whether they are on a smartphone or on a computer. That's important to know so that I can present the site in a way optimized for a smartphone or tablet, as that's over 60% of how people get to us. And what I am doing here isn't some secret voodoo science, it's just the cool behind the scenes capabilities you can get now with technology.

I also am trying to use a balance- if you happen to look at my own Facebook page you will notice that I try and post something "different' about Abby every day now. Some of it are feel good stories, yes, some are facts but by doing something different, people notice it and it doesn't just become the same thing every day. The only thing worse than not doing any posts is just repeating the same thing every day- people will stop seeing it. It's also the same reason we don't do a vigil every week- people have asked about that. if we did, it just would become commonplace.

Marketing is half art, half science and you never know what will work and you need to stay agile enough on ideas to change to whatever works. It's another reason why I will talk to *anyone* about this case- especially media-wise- because I can be out there blabbing, staying on message while they show Abby's picture and it keeps her out there without having to put family through daily interviews, which I know is draining. Save the family for important stuff. The media has been great about covering this, btw. They all have kids too.

So, anyway, it's not all perfect obviously none of it will really matter until Abby is found but we'll keep throwing stuff out there until it sticks. It's why I always want new ideas. Some are feasible, some aren't, but ideas are always good.

If you want to get a small glimpse into the social reach about Abby, go to this tagboard:

http://tagboard.com/bringabbyhome

It doesn't show everything as some of it is private and not everyone remembers to use the #bringabbyhome hashtag but you start to get a small glimpse into who we are reaching online and how. This is obviously useful for getting the word out but it's also useful when I go and approach a new media outlet to be able to concretely show them that this is a story they should cover.

I see me on there :eek: You are doing a fantastic job Paul!

After I go back and re-read what I just typed here, it's really long so, apologies for the length but...

I can't speak for other cases but for Abby, it has not replaced, just enhanced. You are completely right, it can't be the only component.

On average I think I have read that a person sees 10,000 images a day -just look at the webpage you are on right now, you are bombarded with them. So our trick is to continue to find ways to make Abby stand out among that overload of images.

One way has been the "Missing" magnets- we have them traveling on trucks and cars throughout New England and a woodchip truck with a 9 foot high missing poster on it traveling around Northern and Central, NH. We also have been mailing out missing posters to anyone who wants them. If any of you are interested in them, when people ask me how they can help with that, I ask them to hit bus stops, train stations and airports first. I know they have them at some airports already. It's also the reason I have the posters for her at the website- posters shared on facebook are low resolution pictures that print pretty badly. You need a print-resolution pdf (ideally 3 times as dense as your computer screen) and by having those on the website I can tell people "when you go to Staples to get posters made, tell them to get the pdf from the website" rather than making copies, which degrade in quality.

People adding it to their blogs as a side banner has been helpful too. When I look at the demographics of who has hit the bringabbyhome.com website and see it's pretty much every state in the country except a couple out West, that's helpful too. I can also tell, through the use of technology, how people are viewing the page, whether they are on a smartphone or on a computer. That's important to know so that I can present the site in a way optimized for a smartphone or tablet, as that's over 60% of how people get to us. And what I am doing here isn't some secret voodoo science, it's just the cool behind the scenes capabilities you can get now with technology.

I also am trying to use a balance- if you happen to look at my own Facebook page you will notice that I try and post something "different' about Abby every day now. Some of it are feel good stories, yes, some are facts but by doing something different, people notice it and it doesn't just become the same thing every day. The only thing worse than not doing any posts is just repeating the same thing every day- people will stop seeing it. It's also the same reason we don't do a vigil every week- people have asked about that. if we did, it just would become commonplace.

Marketing is half art, half science and you never know what will work and you need to stay agile enough on ideas to change to whatever works. It's another reason why I will talk to *anyone* about this case- especially media-wise- because I can be out there blabbing, staying on message while they show Abby's picture and it keeps her out there without having to put family through daily interviews, which I know is draining. Save the family for important stuff. The media has been great about covering this, btw. They all have kids too.

So, anyway, it's not all perfect obviously none of it will really matter until Abby is found but we'll keep throwing stuff out there until it sticks. It's why I always want new ideas. Some are feasible, some aren't, but ideas are always good.

If you want to get a small glimpse into the social reach about Abby, go to this tagboard:

http://tagboard.com/bringabbyhome

It doesn't show everything as some of it is private and not everyone remembers to use the #bringabbyhome hashtag but you start to get a small glimpse into who we are reaching online and how. This is obviously useful for getting the word out but it's also useful when I go and approach a new media outlet to be able to concretely show them that this is a story they should cover.

You are doing an incredible job, Mr. Kirsch! The technology you are utilizing is amazing! I was always struck by the work done by Dave Smart and others in the search for his niece Elizabeth. It made the difference for her. I wish the families of all missing children had an advocate with skills like yours to help get the word out and bring the child home. Thank you for what you are doing for Abby!

BTW, I just came across a short article about Dave Smart speaking to a LE group about what went right and what went wrong in that investigation. His description of how introverted and extroverted families react is interesting. He also discussed mistakes to avoid in the first critical hours. He described local LE rejected help from FBI experts who said it was a planned abduction and not a burglary gone wrong.
http://news.hjnews.com/news/article_0f3429e0-416c-11e0-a711-001cc4c03286.html

Just want to add that the remarkable thing about Abigail's disappearance is how quickly the FBI was engaged. Kudos to local LE! And thanks to all the agencies in surrounding states that have provided us with resources we lack and additional manpower.

ok completely off topic... but said wanted fugitive in below article who i said is always wanted and will get caught...... well read on..... cuz i can't stop laughing..... ummmm yes he has been caught
http://salem-nh.patch.com/groups/po...lem-nh?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

:floorlaugh:

ETA that i am posting this because it had been on wmur's most wanted wednesday and was discussed a little here

Too funny. Couldn't resist commenting on his own wanted photo. He is certainly distinctive looking. Shouldn't criminals try to blend in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seng Naw