GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Backwoods- I knew you'd know what I was thinking.

This may be a stupid question, or already asked and answered- but did Lauren have any identifying characteristics such as birthmarks, tattoos, healed fractures, surguries, fixative devices, that sort of thing- located specifically on her remains that have not been recovered?

Thanks if someone can tell me this- I apologize if I overlooked it somewhere.

bbm: I can't remember reports or discussion about anything like this. Does seem likely there would be something along those lines, though.

In regards to DV speaking out for the first time at this point...I would have to say that he has probably gone through many stages of grief. I would say he is in a pretty sad place right now with it being the holidays. Sounds like he is just trying to get by. My gut is telling me that he is kind of a reserved person anyway and not the type to speak out...but now he doesn't want Lauren to be forgotten so he feels compelled to tell the story.

I do not get the creepy vibe that he is trying to clear his name or that he is actually the killer and trying to put more nails in McD's coffin.

Shivers, thanks for your insightful post on DV. I concur.

December 13, 2011

Chief Burns of the Macon Police Department commented on Lauren Giddings's murder case in an interview with WMAZ today.

Macon Police Chief Answers Viewers' Questions
He says investigators are still waiting for more evidence to come back from the FBI's forensic crime lab. He said the FBI has not given the police department a timeline on when to expect results. He says the police department has turned everything over to the district attorney's office.

Chief Burns also responded to viewer questions about community issues.

Video at the link

Is he still doing the blank stare ahead thing? Looks like it to me in this picture.

they said on the news that he was more animated. Maybe he is tired of his act or on medicine.

First of all, this article just makes me terribly sad. I'm sure that the more personal glimpses we get, the more heartbreaking it will be. And with that information, the tragedy will seem that much more.

I agree with others above - the missing jewelry is an interesting piece. If that was evidence the police have, that would be it for McD. However, with most of her remains still missing, that seems unlikely. The idea of a keepsake is sickening, but since so little evidence that we are aware of, I am guessing the jewelry is long gone. It was probably something she wore everyday - maybe even if running. It was probably dear to her because it was a special gift.

I hope part 2 goes into more of what Lauren thought of McD. It seems to me, from the info we've been given, that he was definitely jealous of her.

I will add this - just a tiny oddity I got from the article. Did anyone feel it weird that they hadn't spoken in more than a few days and it took him that long to become concerned? My heart breaks for him, but something about that just seems a little weird to me. Maybe it always has - the fact that from Sunday to Wednesday, no red flags were raised while she was missing.

YES, I thought that VERY odd that he just chunked the phone in the seat after reading the first line of her text. He never even read it again until wheeler called him to inquire of Lauren's whereabouts!!!

I think that is the relationship she allowed. He cared but he is not attentive and probalby a little self centered and she was the giving one. She mentioned she'd like for him to "GET CLOSER" to her parents or some such. So he seemed to be a "me" kind of guy. I noticed he said that Lauren made sure he ate even though he was late for the graduation ceremony and dinner (missed it rather all together) and she prepared his plate and fed him some of the leftovers from the restaraunt.

Many people didnt' even know they were dating I had read earlier on in the case. Probably why he was a suspect to start with, that and the significant other is always looked at anway. JMO

BUt I guess he cared but I do imagine he's doing some serious soul searching now. I would be, who wouldn't?

NOt trying to be a hater, just I had noticed their seeming "distance" as well

I just can't beleive how close she was to being freeeeeee

Oh, sure, Oriah. She could have started and stopped any number of times. But if she initiated the e-mail before 6:30, then it wouldn't narrow the timeline. Based on the information released to the public so far, the window is 6:30-10:30. (Zaxby's video at 6:30 pm -- telephone/computer communications cease at 10:30 pm) If the e-mail was started at 8:30, for example, then we could assume the attack happened sometime afterward, and the window is narrowed to two hours.

I felt like he was fed that info by LE. The article kind of left you hanging about why he thought somenoe else COULD HAVE possibly finished the email. But he did say it was her style, what he received and I got the impression he really felt like it was LG that had typed it all.

DOes anyone else get the feeling that whatever is discussed on sleuth it pops up in the investigation? I guess after the SoL findings were turned in to LE.............
Maybe it's just me.:dunno:

Gotcha!

This is the Zaxbys, correct?
3960 Northside?
Does it have wi-fi, does anyone know?

But she was approx 1 minute from her apt and she went to drive thru but if she had iphone she could get any unsecured network or 4g and send to his email via phone text or email, right?

I do not post often now, but I check in often. My heart says that LE has the right guy behind bars for this crime; and more importantly, my heart tells me that they have enough evidence to get justice for Lauren. He will never be free to do this to some else. He did NOT outsmart this LE group - he was caught and he will pay.

I sincerely wish that the had found her remains to bury. What a horrific crime! What a monster that did this.

Ok- thanks Agent. Still catching up- sorry. The 910 Riverside location?

I did know she got it through the window- was actually wondering if someone may have been inside using wi-fi- if they had it. Or if her phone may have picked up that connection. Thanks.

bbm: I know the answer will be a good one, Oriah, but until you provide it this has me scratching my head: Are you thinking of this in terms of if she was working on/sending email at the time or from some other angle?

they said on the news that he was more animated. Maybe he is tired of his act or on medicine.

... or possibly OFF an initial medication (started while he's been incarcerated, I mean) that had severe side effects

I felt like he was fed that info by LE. The article kind of left you hanging about why he thought somenoe else COULD HAVE possibly finished the email. But he did say it was her style, what he received and I got the impression he really felt like it was LG that had typed it all.

DOes anyone else get the feeling that whatever is discussed on sleuth it pops up in the investigation? I guess after the SoL findings were turned in to LE.............
Maybe it's just me.
:dunno:

I don't think it's just you ... although I think that sometimes what's actually happened is that -- with all the "great minds" and shared info and experience on WS :great: -- WSers zero in on likelihoods that later do turn out to be things already done/discovered in the investigation but just not yet revealed at the time.

I also believe I have seen a time or two when "rumors" showed up locally that had some roots in our hypothesizing here on WS. Can't be sure, but I think so.

This from Macon's The Telegraph/macon.com is not directly related to the case, but I thought some of you might find it an interesting "sidebar" -- I do.

QUOTE:

Mercer, GPB and Telegraph form novel partnership

The Telegraph and Georgia Public Broadcasting are planning to turn their Macon journalism operations into “teaching” newsrooms in a novel undertaking that, come next fall and thereafter, will have professional reporters often working with and training Mercer University students.

To be housed at Mercer’s under-construction Knight Center for Collaborative Journalism, the idea for the joint educational and business venture led to the awarding of a multimillion-dollar grant from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation. ...

George Harmon, an associate professor emeritus of journalism at Northwestern University in Chicago, deemed the three-entity endeavor a resourceful move. ...

“The only possible problem that comes to my mind is what happens when you, if, God forbid,” Harmon said, “you have a scandal at the university, and the university makes the poor judgment of trying to stifle the news. ..." ...

read more at: http://www.macon.com/2011/12/15/1824961/mercer-gpb-and-telegraph-form.html#storylink=omni_popular

ETA: Can't help but wonder, if this case goes to trial, what effect this major development for The Telegraph and for Mercer will have on the reporting of the trial and related matters. Not to say it would be a negative effect, necessarily, but just interesting to ponder.

bbm: I know the answer will be a good one, Oriah, but until you provide it this has me scratching my head: Are you thinking of this in terms of if she was working on/sending email at the time or from some other angle?

I was wondering if someone (like McD) was possibly cyber stalking her, so to speak.
If the Zaxby's is the last seen, but the last communication was 4 hours later (via the email) and there are some questions about whether or not Lauren actually wrote all of the email- it seems that if that is in fact the case (which of course we don't know) if the email was sent from her phone and it had been altered by someone other than her- then it's likely someone other than Lauren finally hit 'send'- or forced her to.

Sooo... it crossed my mind that if McD was obsessive about Lauren's relationship with her boyfriend- that it wouldn't be all that hard to hack her phone to access private information, as well as her GPS- and to read confidential txts or emails, and know her location when her phone was in use. So he could have known exactly where she was. On an unsecured wi-fi connection, like those most common in fast food restaurants, etc- I would think it could be traced to what network was in use when the email was being composed, and what network was in use when it was sent.

So I was wondering if the timeline could be shortened by that.

Wow- I don't know if any of that made sense!

YES, I thought that VERY odd that he just chunked the phone in the seat after reading the first line of her text. He never even read it again until wheeler called him to inquire of Lauren's whereabouts!!!

I think that is the relationship she allowed. He cared but he is not attentive and probalby a little self centered and she was the giving one. She mentioned she'd like for him to "GET CLOSER" to her parents or some such. So he seemed to be a "me" kind of guy. I noticed he said that Lauren made sure he ate even though he was late for the graduation ceremony and dinner (missed it rather all together) and she prepared his plate and fed him some of the leftovers from the restaraunt.

Many people didnt' even know they were dating I had read earlier on in the case. Probably why he was a suspect to start with, that and the significant other is always looked at anway. JMO

BUt I guess he cared but I do imagine he's doing some serious soul searching now. I would be, who wouldn't?

NOt trying to be a hater, just I had noticed their seeming "distance" as well

I just can't beleive how close she was to being freeeeeee

I have to say that reading these articles and the speculation surrounding the LG/DVD relationship has brought me back to some very similar relationships I've had in the past. Makes me tired and a bit sad to remember the long-term relationships I've had with more than one commitment phobe. I just inherently accepted the lack of connection and attention as normal for two busy, professional people. Oh sure, there were plans for the future, which were always a year or so away and then always some disruptive "minor" break-up to push things off. Of course, DVD's age and lack of any previous commitment makes me raise an eyebrow (or two). I realize I am stereotyping, and, of course, I realize that the information in the article is certainly not enough for me to make a diagnosis of DVD's personality and character, but given my personal experiences it's hard not to. (Maybe says more about me than him! ;))

All that being said, I do think anything "strange" we perceive in their relationship would be due to "normal" relationship and commitment issues, not anything that would be any kind of motive for violence. I say that because some (although not necessarily on WS) have found cause for motive in his (lack of) actions and statements.

NotaLawyer
I too am amazed at the nonchalant attitude and action of DVD when he received the text or e-mail in California. California law says you not only dont text while driving, you don't talk on a cell phone ether. In remembering why he was in Calif. also enters into my judging his response. He was there on a relaxation trip to take golf lessons and play golf. His mind was not on work or someones future due to a court case. His mind was on golf and pleasure. So, when you get a message that a love-one took enough time to send you their concern, why would you not take time to answer or call them at the first safe opportunity? I feel he did not deserve her just for this one incident. JMO (but I am old fashioned and old) I am not putting him down, everyone has or deserves someone, he just didnt deserve LG. IMO

I was wondering if someone (like McD) was possibly cyber stalking her, so to speak.
If the Zaxby's is the last seen, but the last communication was 4 hours later (via the email) and there are some questions about whether or not Lauren actually wrote all of the email- it seems that if that is in fact the case (which of course we don't know) if the email was sent from her phone and it had been altered by someone other than her- then it's likely someone other than Lauren finally hit 'send'- or forced her to.

Sooo... it crossed my mind that if McD was obsessive about Lauren's relationship with her boyfriend- that it wouldn't be all that hard to hack her phone to access private information, as well as her GPS- and to read confidential txts or emails, and know her location when her phone was in use. So he could have known exactly where she was. On an unsecured wi-fi connection, like those most common in fast food restaurants, etc- I would think it could be traced to what network was in use when the email was being composed, and what network was in use when it was sent.

I don't think the e-mail was sent from Lauren's phone, Oriah. McD said he and the friends who went to Lauren's apartment to look for her saw the e-mail on her computer.

You bring up an interesting idea, though. Being familiar with McD's online history, we can reasonably speculate that he would be knowledgeable of surveillance equipment and savvy enough to plant a tracking and/or an eavesdropping device in her cell phone. Such devices are readily available on the internet, and easily installed. He had a key to her apartment, so could have gained access to her phone.

I don't think the e-mail was sent from Lauren's phone, Oriah. McD said he and the friends who went to Lauren's apartment to look for her saw the e-mail on her computer.

You bring up an interesting idea, though. Being familiar with McD's online history, we can reasonably speculate that he would be knowledgeable of surveillance equipment and savvy enough to plant a tracking and/or an eavesdropping device in her cell phone. Such devices are readily available on the internet, and easily installed. He had a key to her apartment, so could have gained access to her phone.

As in- that specific email was up on the screen at the time they entered the apartment? Do we know what type of email acct she was using?

And not trying to be nitpicky, because it probably doesn't matter- but even if the email was found on her computer (btw- do we know what kind of computer it is?) it doesn't mean it wasn't sent from her phone. For example, on one cell phone I have a data package that automatically delivers my email to my phone- and it's also saved to my computer. If I respond to an email from my phone, both copies (the received and the sent) are also saved to my computer- and/or any computer that I log onto that email account from.
It was my choice to set up the data package that way (it's very handy for busy people!) but also the scary nature of technology today, for people with ill intent and a decent knowledge of the many ways to invade other peoples' privacy- stalkers being one type.

It certainly seems like McD has a good working knowledge of certain types of networks... I would be surprised if he didn't also obsess about surveillance? Easy transition.

I can hack my other phone using a wi-fi connection, when the other phone is sitting outside in the truck. Check the GPS on that phone, and see where I went that day. It's easy because the phones are on the same network, and I have saved contacts that included both phone #'s.

I wonder if Lauren's phone had McD as a saved contact #?

Scary stuff for criminals.
Don't misplace your smart phones, peeps. Scary. :eek:

See -- I knew the answer would be a good one! :)

And I'm sure it makes sense, although it (and your follow-up post on this a bit after the one I just quoted) is a little above my level of techno-savvy, I'm afraid. Still, think I understand in a general way what you are saying.

FWIW: What SM said, basically, was that one of Lauren's searching friends pulled up her email on her computer "and we read it off the screen". (Not meaning here that the scenario you describe could not be the truth -- just clarifying for your question on what SM reported.)

Also -- could be important -- he also makes mention of an email preceding the "final" one. Says something like "there was one to some friends about going out to eat". Think way early on here, there was some discussion about that -- with the thinking that she maybe had had plans to go out to eat with friends and then perhaps the plans were cancelled somehow (and maybe even: hence, the Zaxby's). Don't think we ever had any further confirmation on this, though. (Anybody remember for sure?) That's something I'd like to know more about if it were possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie