GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
SMD's lawyers to challenge Grand Jury make-up:

http://m.13wmaz.com/topstory/article?a=162895&f=924
That's not all they are challenging MaconMom, there is a whole host of things they are questioning. Odd timing today I think , to throw the kitchen sink at the defense as far as things they will challenge, including conflict of interest, electronic surveillance (Wal-Mart, anyone?) search and seizure. I thought this hearing today was to make sure he understood that this was going to be a death penalty trial. And he is out of the orange jumpsuit and in a three piece, looking quite defense lawyerly, even sporting the Frank Hogue ponytail. I am not sure Winters was ready for any of this, it was a good day for the defense . " exact date being unknown to the grand jury. including decapitation of said victim with instrument unknown to the grand jury..." Those are the types of unknowns that the idiotic Casey Anthony jurors pointed out as a reason to let her get away with murder.

SMD's lawyers to challenge Grand Jury make-up:

http://m.13wmaz.com/topstory/article?a=162895&f=924

And the description that Winters was rolling his eyes? That does not give me great hope that he is going to prosecute this case very well if he is already acting irritated over normal things brought up by the defense..What did he expect in a death penalty case?

I will say this - I think McD's probably got the best defense lawyers he could hope for given his resources and everything else.

And the description that Winters was rolling his eyes? That does not give me great hope that he is going to prosecute this case very well if he is already acting irritated over normal things brought up by the defense..What did he expect in a death penalty case?

I will say this - I think McD's probably got the best defense lawyers he could hope for given his resources and everything else.

You noticed that too, Yep, that's what stuck out to em and make me think this all hit DA Winters blindsided. Buford and Hogue went on the offense , and scored some punches , IMHO.

I am not sure Winters was ready for any of this, it was a good day for the defense . " exact date being unknown to the grand jury. including decapitation of said victim with instrument unknown to the grand jury..." Those are the types of unknowns that the idiotic Casey Anthony jurors pointed out as a reason to let her get away with murder.

Just because the instrument used for decapitation was unknown to the Grand Jury doesn't mean it's unknown to LE. I would assume the hacksaw they found was the instrument used. I think it was said back in the threads that the DA would reveal just enough evidence to the GJ to get the indictment. Let's hope anyway!

I agree SMD has a solid defense team. I sure hope the DA has the evidence needed to convict SMD if he did it.

Scored some punches or just threw a bunch of legal end runs at the wall to see what sticks? Nothing the Defense said today is surprising. Any Attorney worth his salt would question the legality of the searches, etc. If by chance the Grand Jury challenge is fruitful, what does that accomplish? I guess it would buy them more time, but IMO the indictment will stick whether they seat a new grand jury and rehear it or not.

I haven't had a chance to watch the entire video. As usual with the wmaz video's, it keeps buffering.

That's not all they are challenging MaconMom, there is a whole host of things they are questioning. Odd timing today I think , to throw the kitchen sink at the defense as far as things they will challenge, including conflict of interest, electronic surveillance (Wal-Mart, anyone?) search and seizure. I thought this hearing today was to make sure he understood that this was going to be a death penalty trial. And he is out of the orange jumpsuit and in a three piece, looking quite defense lawyerly, even sporting the Frank Hogue ponytail. I am not sure Winters was ready for any of this, it was a good day for the defense . " exact date being unknown to the grand jury. including decapitation of said victim with instrument unknown to the grand jury..." Those are the types of unknowns that the idiotic Casey Anthony jurors pointed out as a reason to let her get away with murder.

Agent Frank, can LGs family hire a private lawyer such as McD did? And McD disgusts me as he copiously takes notes and looks smug and fat, just as was thought. If he gets off, I will personally head down South and protest the entire justice system. All of it.

Lauren Giddings beautiful life should not have been extinguished by the heinous act against her.

I do not know how her friends and loved ones get through their days, I really don't.

I can only hope that justice will be swift, and they will survive the torment of the trial.

I also pray that the rest of her remains are found. :(

Rest in Peace, Lauren.

Saw the article just now and clicked on photos, first reaction was "oh, another wild doo" Notice the ponytails. Is that his attorney? If so, good play on visuals to play down the fact that McD is wild and crazy with his wild and crazy hair doo. LIke psycho becuase he has long hair. Seriously, that's all I heard from people on the streets after his photo was seen and was under suspicion by LE. which I didnt' immediately judge. "He should do something with his hair; first thing they shoujld tell him to do is cut his hair" on and on. funny. You can't always judge a book by the cover. Not the only reason this attorney is now on the case I"M SURE, just making an observation. I was surpised also that this attorney would represent McD since he knew Lauren too. Go figure.

Saw the article just now and clicked on photos, first reaction was "oh, another wild doo" Notice the ponytails. Is that his attorney? If so, good play on visuals to play down the fact that McD is wild and crazy with his wild and crazy hair doo. LIke psycho becuase he has long hair. Seriously, that's all I heard from people on the streets after his photo was seen and was under suspicion by LE. which I didnt' immediately judge. "He should do something with his hair; first thing they shoujld tell him to do is cut his hair" on and on. funny. You can't always judge a book by the cover. Not the only reason this attorney is now on the case I"M SURE, just making an observation. I was surpised also that this attorney would represent McD since he knew Lauren too. Go figure.

tomkat -- and you may know this already -- Frank Hogue has been sporting a ponytail for a long time, and SM apparently often has worn his hair ponytailed, too (not in the infamous interview, though, of course) and has appeared in court with one before. But you are right -- makes an interesting visual. I heard a lot of "hair" comments, too, in the beginning of the investigation.

new at macon.com:

McDaniel defense plans challenges, may contest arrest warrant

Stephen McDaniel, legal pad in hand, walked into court Wednesday and, for the first time since he was locked up last summer, wasn’t wearing jail garb. ...

... Nearly seven months after a slaying that shocked and captivated many locals, the 26-year-old defendant showed maybe the most outward signs yet that he has taken an active role in his defense. ...

... McDaniel’s outfit was provided by his family. Though it isn’t unusual for lawyers to file motions requiring that defendants be dressed in street clothes and not jailhouse jumpsuits, no such motion has been filed in this case.

McDaniel appeared to catch the gaze of some spectators, including that of one of his alleged victim’s closest friends. ...

January 24, 2012

McDaniel's Attorneys will Challenge Grand Jury Makeup, Searches in Giddings Case
At a half-hour-long morning hearing in Bibb County Superior Court to go over capital-case ground rules, McDaniel’s attorneys, Floyd Buford and co-counsel Franklin J. Hogue, noted a number of issues they intend to contest.

Video of the hearing

McDaniel Defense Plans Challenges, May Contest Warrant
Nearly seven months after a slaying that shocked and captivated many locals, the 26-year-old defendant showed maybe the most outward signs yet that he has taken an active role in his defense.
Gone was the gaunt, glazed-over shell of a suspect who trudged into court. He looked attentive, studious even...

Kristin S. Miller of Atlanta, who met Giddings when the two were undergraduates at Agnes Scott College in Atlanta, was sitting in the front row behind the prosecution table...

“He doesn’t look like the monster in the shackles and the orange jumpsuit, but he’s still a monster. ... I’m just kind of surprised he has dropped the zombie act,” Miller, 28, said.

“I made eye contact with him for the first time today and it was chilling. It was disgusting.”

“He doesn’t look like the monster in the shackles and the orange jumpsuit, but he’s still a monster. ... I’m just kind of surprised he has dropped the zombie act,” Miller, 28, said.

“I made eye contact with him for the first time today and it was chilling. It was disgusting.”
http://www.macon.com/2012/01/26/1879705/mcdaniel-defense-plans-challenges.html

Agent Frank, can LGs family hire a private lawyer such as McD did? And McD disgusts me as he copiously takes notes and looks smug and fat, just as was thought. If he gets off, I will personally head down South and protest the entire justice system. All of it.

The only time Lauren's family would hire a lawyer would be if they were going to pursue a civil case. The D.A. prosecutes the case, so they don't need to hire anyone. McD could have a public defender, but chose his attorneys instead.

Of course, with high profile cases or issues, some people do hire attorneys as "representatives" for statements, etc., but that is not really the case here.

Southern Kate, in quick reply to you, man that seems very unfair, especially when many commenters think the police and DA have messed up some things. I thought it very interesting that the Macon reporters cited that McD had on a suit, but there was no motion filed to be able to get out of his orange jumpsuit. So, how was MCD able to change? McD also appears to have that same heavy faced look we discussed in the beginning threads that were due to certain medications. I am so enraged by all of this. I don't care if he gets the death penalty. I would rather him rot in jail or if he is a pedophile, let the jail members decide his fate, as they do not like child predators.

I just will not be able to function if LG does not get justice in this case. I hurt every time I think of her. It is also getting close to her April Bday. I am sure this first birthday without her will be terrible for the family.

Most of the pictures from early in the case that I remember seeing were on the Macon paper website. They have since been removed or else I can't find them on it. I do remember seeing pictures of dogs and their handlers walking in some wooded areas in the neighborhood of the apartments. I think these were the volunteer people not the sheriff's office dogs. I don't know much about how a cadaver dog works. I know a mantrailer will search for the scent it has been given. If the dog finds that scent, he will follow it until either the person is found or the scent is lost. This type dog usually follows the route taken by the person even when it doubles back, etc. Then, I read somewhere that there are mantrailers that are considered to be air scenters and they are supposedly better at trailing than ground scenters. I don't know if a cadaver dog can scent the path a body has been carried or just scent where a body has been placed. If they can follow a cadaver scent trail, then it doesn't worry me that more apartments were not searched since the scent would not lead to other apartments. If they can follow a cadaver scent trail, then it does worry me. However, something led LE to the downstairs apartment and its refrigerator. The immediate interest in Lauren's and SM's apartments is obvious. The immediate interest in the downstairs apartment isn't clear to me.
Animals are amazing. There are even dogs that can scent some cancers, and a cat somewhere up north that supposedly can scent the approaching death of people at this nursing home. The article I read about the cat said that this cat would just sit or lay in the room for hours until the person passed on.

Thanks

SInce the dogs were involved, possible reason for interest in downstairs apartment, however, sheer experience and the fact it was vacant and so nearby would likely be a reason for interest adn the fact she was dismembered, many bodies are stored in coolers and freezers etc. I do wonder if there was any visible traces or if power was still on.

"Judge Brown asked if there were "any issues" regarding the defendant's competency.

Buford responded, "Let me have a minute with that, your honor." But Brown said, "No sir, not at this point."

http://m.13wmaz.com/topstory/article?a=162895&f=924&ref=search

I found this interesting. Obviously Buford had something to say about SMD being competent (or not). If they are going to try to say he's mentally disturbed, why would they have him show up in a three-piece suit looking alert and taking notes? Other than the crazy hair, he looks intelligent and competent.

On another note, I don't know why his lawyers don't recommend that he cuts his hair (or, why he doesnt want to). I don't think the big poof is helping him at all .. That's one of the first things people talk about.. It's unfair but it certainly makes him look a little crazy without even considering the evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288