Identified! NY - Cattaraugus Co., Female skeletal UP6015, Sep'09 - Traci Douglass

This was one of my pet cases I that I spent hours trying to figure out who she was. She wasn't listed in any of the Missing People databases I use, so go figure. I am glad she got her identity back and the family can have some closure.

I'm sure it pleased Traci, that people cared enough to try and help her. I'm really impressed that her remains were identified, as it looks like it took quite a bit of research to do so. Nothing on local news so far, today, that I can find.

From the above article: "Some of those leads took us out of the area and out of state, which is why the FBI was involved in assisting us in our investigation," he said. "Ultimately one of the leads that came in, encouraged us to take a look at whether or not this could be who we ultimately identified as Traci Douglass of Salamanca, N.Y. One of those leads that came in came in from somebody who knew Traci, saying, 'Hey I haven't seen her in a while, maybe you should take a look for her.'"

That last sentence really strikes me as odd.

Like this woman, many missing people have yet to be reported missing for one reason or another.
I do believe it is time for THE DOE NETWORK
THE CHARLEY PROJECT
NAMP
and similar sites to approach KINDLE
NOOK
IPHONE
IPAD and others to get some APPS so people can share what they know easier and make reports and matches easier.
:twocents:

if there were apps for this line of reading and communications the cases that are now FROZEN and BELOW ZERO COLD CASES
could be solved so much faster..so how would those sites approach the people to get some APPS going?

and if they had a missing persons app from Charley, NamUS or the Doe Network for the IPHONE, i would have it. What a great idea. I do have an app it's call Missing person Reports. I haven't really looked at it though.

Wow, I'm so relieved this Jane Doe was finally identified! It's so rare that someone who was never even reported missing is IDed -- great work on LE's part in following up leads.

Rest in peace, Traci. I hope the next step in the investigation -- finding out what happened to you -- is successful, too.

So often we criticize law enforcement for sloppy work, negligence, or just plain not caring, but this case demonstrates outstanding effort and persistence. Kudos to them and RIP Traci, I'm glad they found you.

Cold Case Unit seeks public's help in Traci Douglass case

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/news/article_c1cd75d4-b27b-11e2-a00a-001a4bcf887a.html

"Cattaraugus County Sheriff Timothy Whitcomb (seated) asked today for the public's help in closing the case involving the death of Traci Douglass of Salamanca, whose remains were found near the banks of the Allegheny Reservoir on Sept. 26, 2009, and identified two years later.

Cold case detectives John Ensell (standing, center) an Joe Magiera (right) said they want to interview recent callers to another police agency about the case, but do not have contact information. More than 400 leads have been recorded in the case.

"There are people whop have direct information that will assist us in closing this case," Sheriff Whitcomb said. Inv. Ensell may be reached at (716) 938-2261, or cell (716) 597-4298, and Inv. Magiera at (716) 938-2205, or cell (716) 498-3245.

See complete story in Thursday's Times Herald."

Is Cattaraugus County Cold Case On Verge of Being Solved?

http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/Is-C...-Case-On-Verge-of-Being-Solved-205691811.html

"LITTLE VALLEY, NY (WKBW)- Traci Douglass of Salamanca would have turned 46 this year, instead police continue to investigate her mysterious death. Douglass went missing in early 2007 from Salamanca. Two years later, in September of 2009, a fisherman walking along the shores of the Allegheny Reservoir discovered human remains near the Town of South Valley. Thanks to advanced DNA technology in 2011, police were finally able to confirm the remains were that of Traci Douglass.

Despite combing through more than 400 leads, investigators believe certain individuals have direct information about Douglass' death.

"There are people here in the community in Cattaraugus County, specifically in Salamanca, who have information on Tracy Douglass' death. That (information) can help us answer questions and answer the questions as to why we found her where we did," said Cattaraugus County Sheriff Timothy Whitcomb. "We need those people to listen to their moral compass and become part of the solution rather than the problem."

Additionally, police are asking people who provided tips in the past to come forward again. Anyone with information is urged to call Investigator Joe Magiera at: 716-938-2205 or Investigator John Ensell at: 716-938-2261"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back