Sociopaths and Speech Patterns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recalling the letters that Cindy wrote to KC, one comment jumps out at me..."You have the CONSTITUTIONAL right to send/write letters". Although it is hysterically funny that CA would say such a thing, in CA's mind, she thinks she is right!

All of the Anthony's have a sense of "entitlement". They are smarter than the police, they are smarter than TES, they are smarter than Jeff Ashton, they are smarter than any juror could possibly ever be. This sense of entitlement is the very thing that makes me dislike them so much!

admitnothing.jpg

circularreasoningworks.png

fascinating question! The Anthonys (all of them) have acted as if they are in some sort of movie. It makes me feel that none of them know one another at all. George, Lee and KC have gotten through life pretty much on attractiveness alone. CA is not as attractive as the others, so she has been the workhorse....but even she easily falls into the "movie role" at any given opportunity. Look how easily they rolled right into becoming overnight missing children "experts" and began the "Foundation". In the recent letters CA fancies KC becoming a lawyer! I don't know who told this family that they could be "anything"..but they all seem to have grandiose ideas about their contributions to the world. I swear, CA even thinks SHE is a lawyer now! (complaining in her letter to KC about how Lyon and Baez aren't doing something right legally). I am just so thankful I don't really know them. They are all such know it alls. Imagine breaking your leg. CA would want to do the surgery. Seriously..they are ALL Borderline Personality
Disordered.
..at the very very least.

ita..

Remember when Lee is talking to KC about the police coming and how they will want answers?..apparently (according to Lee) KC says: "well, I guess it is time" --when I read that I was pretty astonished...and I can see KC just calmly saying that. The thing is..it is an admission of sorts, isn't it? It is time?? time for what?? Time to go to jail?..time to field questions about where Caylee is? Time to "deal" with her obnoxious "sttoopid" Mother (whom KC hates/hated). KC knew that she had 30+ days of freedom (Bella Vita!) but now the jig was up. "I guess it's time" says to me that KC knew the jig would be up one day and that day had (then) arrived. It's a very interesting choice of words.

Great posts..

Hello WS :)

This will sound crazy in of itself but I have known more sociopaths/narcissists in my life than non sociopaths/narcissists. Mostly, I am speaking of my family but I include a number of bosses my husband has had and a few of my own.

My husband is the only person in my life that is not this way. Other family members that are not sociopaths or narcissists are affected by the narcissists/sociopaths to the degree that because I don't "play along" or "learn to keep my mouth shut/get along" with the sociopaths: they have nothing to do with me.

When I came to Websleuths I found a bunch of other people who understand and can see through the "normal" behavior of narcissists and sociopaths, I have found some validation for the "diagnosis" I have given my family members. Explaining to someone what is "so horrible" about my family would be as complicated and long as explaining to someone unfamiliar with the Anthony case why some are of the opinion that Cindy is a narcissist at best and a sociopath at worse.

The mind games and passive aggressive behavior Cindy has toward Casey is all too familiar to me and when reading Cindy's words or seeing her in the media, I know exactly what she is up to and doing...it is (sorry)wonderful for me to be validated by people such as Dr. Glass and many other people(by their comments on the internet).

I have never been afraid of that "stranger" that looks like a bum and is wandering around...to me what there is to be afraid of, very afraid of is the "normal" person. The dance that Casey and Cindy are engaged in...I walked away from with my mother. In her eyes, we were to be locked in battle till the day one of us died: as she was with her mother. And Cindy and Casey are locked in this battle until the day one of them die, ahem.

Cindy says being a liar does not make you a murderer. So what? Lying, in of itself is not the trait of a good person. Period. The fact that Cindy defends lies and "mistruths" goes a long way in explaining how she justifies her lies, and that she knows she lies but still wants to be seen as a good person.

The language or speech patterns are all too familiar to me. I agree there is a commonality in the behavior and speech of a sociopath/narcissist. I was drawn to this case because of Caylee but in watching Casey and Cindy all I can say is "that is my family!" Except in my family my mother worked it into us all(three children)so that none of us has had any children. The youngest is my brother and he is in his mid thirties and by his own words never wants to have children. My sister has had several abortions(I am only speaking of my sister and my experience I am making no political statement regarding abortion)and in my opinion my sister did it to "spite" my Mother(ETA: she may have made up the stories to upset my mom, but she told my brother who told the family just as Casey claims to have told Lee about a miscarriage and he told Cindy, either way my sister hates my mother, actively openly and makes no qualms about it and has since she was a young girl). It may sound crazy that I say my mother trained us to not have children and that my sister making sure that was so...was "spite" towards my Mother. It would seem she was doing what our Mother wanted but that is the kind of deep confusing behavior you deal with when you deal with sociopaths.

That the word "spite" comes up in the Anthony case is a good example of why I think there is a language or speech pattern at work with sociopaths. Saying we were doing things "just to spite her" was a favorite of my mothers. Almost every person I have in my family, and in my husband's family lie all the time. On any given day, they may say one thing and then later on say the opposite and if you confront them: boy look out!

I notice when Cindy is upset, Casey has the attitude, "why is she crying?" And, when Casey is upset Cindy has the attitude, "well, you brought this on yourself sweetheart." And the "sweetheart"...well, in sociopath speak: that means nothing other than a cut as Cindy has her non reaction to Casey being upset. In a mother daughter sociopath dance: each tries to get a reaction out of the other, my mother never seemed happier than when I was crying and upset. She would smile, laugh at me and mock my tears telling me how I brought whatever it was on myself.

IMO, Caylee was not too young to be affected by the insane behavior of her family. She had no friends, Casey put her in her "pen" while she entertained boys. The mind games that were no doubt already being played on Caylee would have only grown worse as the years went by, it is NOT better that Caylee left this world and did not have to grow up "with all this stuff" as Casey opined in one of her letters to Robyn. For all the pain of growing up as I did, everyone deserves their life(need I say that? not to non sociopaths, of course)and it's a horrible tragedy that Caylee didn't get the chance to grow up and walk away from her family. Caylee was not like them, Cindy knows that, Casey knew that, George and Lee knew that...and imo, that was what was most dangerous for Caylee and why her life was taken(even before it was TAKEN)from her by her (I use these terms loosely) mother and grandmother.

Women like my mother, Cindy and Casey all use the cover of "loving mother" to hide what they are. In fact, Cindy thinks she was a wonderful mother, nurturing and protective and calls Casey a "perfect mother" because that is how they want to be seen not how they really are. People are of the opinion that all mothers love their children and in my experience this is just not so...children don't have to be abducted to be in the control of sick people who only want to hurt them.

IMHO, they are all the same. They all act exactly the same, there is such a thing as "sociopathic" behavior and speech.

:twocents:

Thank you for your wonderful ability and courage to tell it like it is. Your husband is one lucky guy to have found you. And we are fortunate that you are here with us.

Thank you ......... from another who has survived.

Hola all. I wasn't sure where to put this because the Casey Interview Recordings Released Discussion Thread has been closed for as long as I can remember.

I was unnecessarily subjecting myself to KC's universal interview the other night, and I noticed something pretty eerie. This is probably old news to everyone else (I'm always late to the game) but thought I would share.

At the part where the detectives are trying to give KC a way out, so to say, Yuri tells KC (I am paraphrasing)..

Yuri: Either you're this callous monster who has done something horrific...
KC: Uh-huh
Yuri: Or you're this young mother, and a horrible accident happened and you're scared...
KC: No response

I noticed her do this often throughout that interview, where they're reaming her for lying and purposely misleading them.. and she continues with her "uh-huh". It's like she admits when they are on the mark (I think subconsciously), but when the detectives are a little off the mark as to what this odious creature has done, there is almost usually no response from ICA.

Hope this makes sense. I found it eerie.

This is my first time starting a topic here, so I hope this hasn't been started already.

I have been doing a lot of reading through the Scott Peterson archives and the similarities between that case and this case are astounding. The craziest thing to me going through all of the transcripts, interviews, etc. is the speech patterns of the Petersons and the Anthonys. Most members of both families seem to speak in such a way that WHILE they are speaking you feel as though they are answering/cooperating to a degree. And yet when you go back and READ their words it is completely incoherent nonsense.

Is this just a case of a bunch of people lying so much they are confusing themselves? Because most people can manage to lie without losing all grasp of the English language. One would think that such prolific liars as KC and SP would certainly be able to float several lies at once.

Or is it a sociophathic characteristic? Sociopaths often mimic behavior, and a lot of what KC and SP say seem to be a string of sound bites they've picked up throughout their lives that they thought makes them sound smart/helpful/caring, etc. when in fact they are not. KC and SP are the only two defendants whose transcripts I have read so in depth. It would be great if other posters could shed some light on whether or not other sociopaths have adopted a similar speech pattern.

GREAT POST!!!!!!

I have followed the Peterson case from the get go and i as well see a lot of patterns in the two cases....

For one both Scott and Casey are products of their environments....they learned to lie at a VERY young age and got away w/ it either directly or indirectly.......

One major difference between Casey and Scott is the fact that u NEVER heard a bad word out him escape the Peterson's mouths.....whereas w/ the Anthony's and in particular Cindy is that she was on Casey's tush from the word go about everything.....from the actions to the rearing of her child....and i believe that is why little baby Caylee is where she is today.......Then all of the sudden when the true story about Casey's involvement in the "disappearance" of Caylee happened Cindy changed her tune quickly!!!!! So are we to believe that the car car smelled like "a damn dead body" had been in there then believe "no it wasn't a body" but rotting "pizza" Cindy is crazy and look at her eyes something just isn't right about her or the rest of the family IMO

Looking for the appropriate video but in the meantime, what I can't wrap my head around at all is the jail video with George and Casey chatting away, George says to his dearly beloved daughter, something to the affect of....

'If only I would have been a better father'..... 'If only..." ok uhmm...

and Casey replies to the affect of....

'It's not your fault'..... ok uhmm...

My question is this, what is not George's fault? The fact that his daughter is in jail? The fact that they are both acknowledging what happened to Caylee? It's not George's fault that Caylee was kidnapped? That doesn't make sense whatsoever.

It's not your fault I'm in jail and killed my kid.... ! So in a way I see some insight towards the truth of what Casey said.... she is admitting it's not his fault.... (that she killed Caylee?) without saying it. It would be no one's fault at all if Caylee was indeed kidnapped (from a normal family), happening on a normal day.

Thank you all, I feel much better now bringing this out there!

:bow:

This is my first time starting a topic here, so I hope this hasn't been started already.

I have been doing a lot of reading through the Scott Peterson archives and the similarities between that case and this case are astounding. The craziest thing to me going through all of the transcripts, interviews, etc. is the speech patterns of the Petersons and the Anthonys. Most members of both families seem to speak in such a way that WHILE they are speaking you feel as though they are answering/cooperating to a degree. And yet when you go back and READ their words it is completely incoherent nonsense.

Is this just a case of a bunch of people lying so much they are confusing themselves? Because most people can manage to lie without losing all grasp of the English language. One would think that such prolific liars as KC and SP would certainly be able to float several lies at once.

Or is it a sociophathic characteristic? Sociopaths often mimic behavior, and a lot of what KC and SP say seem to be a string of sound bites they've picked up throughout their lives that they thought makes them sound smart/helpful/caring, etc. when in fact they are not. KC and SP are the only two defendants whose transcripts I have read so in depth. It would be great if other posters could shed some light on whether or not other sociopaths have adopted a similar speech pattern.

You have just described every politician I've ever heard.

Fascinating topic esiobhan. All of the Anthonys seem to speak in incomplete sentences and seem to jump from one thought to the next with no coherent transition. If you watch the early interviews of Cindy it is obvious that she's always been like this. There is one early video of Cindy on Greta Van Sustren's show when Cindy gives like a 5 minute answer to Greta's first question, but never seems to really answer the question.

I do think it is indicative of sociopaths and also pathological liars. I have family members that are both IMO, and when I am listening to them ramble on and on I tend to not be able to process what they are telling me. Then later when I'm able to replay it slowly in my mind I can pinpoint all the descrepancies. It's very frustrating to me because I wish I could process their BS in real time and respond.

Casey and Cindy most definitely seem to exhibit this kind of lying sociopathic speech habits to me.

Please forgive me (or delete) one tiny , sort of OT......but do you suppose we have any sociopaths in politics? :waitasec:

Dr. Martha Stout wrote "The Sociopath Next Door" in which she says research indicates 4% of the population are sociopaths. It is a great book. Her main point in how to detect whether you are dealing with someone with anti-social personality disorder/sociopathy is that they will try to get your pity. That is how they manipulate people into doing what they want. So look for language that is trying to make you feel sorry for them.

My ex is a sociopath and he is masterful at verbal manipulation.

it's even more interesting to contemplate how people talk with the sociopath--like another poster pointed out apparently it is nearly a requirement to tell KC that she is beautiful and/or "butter her up" in some way to hope to have any exchange with her at all.

Not long ago on the GMA interview CA stated that they said "they would break her after 2 days, but she hasn't broken....because there is nothing to break." CA believes that a guilty person would have come clean by now because of the hardships. Therefore, CA surmises, KC is "innocent". No, Cindy--it means what we all know, KC creates her own reality. KC either rationalizes that it was an "accident" or she herself believes she did not do it. Part of me thinks KC is happy to be in jail--to finally be away (permanently) from her overbearing Mother.

Sociopaths are constantly told how "bad" they are, and by adulthood, most of them believe it. And behave accordingly.

Cindy just completely blows my mind. All the hero worship. Mother of the Year. And she can't identify with Joran's mom because Casey hasn't confessed. And Casey should have broke after only 2 days? Yeah, maybe in a Hollywood movie. And you know if she had broken, Cindy would be calling police abuse. Cindy's thinking is so warped. It's beyond illogical. And it's totally black and white, which drives me crazy. If they didn't break her, then she's innocent. If she hasn't confessed, she's innocent. There couldn't possibly be any gray area there (yes, that was sarcasm).

Which brings me to this question: is that how it is with dealing with Sociopaths? Are you forced to falsely elevate them on a pedastal and as long as they keep up the lies, then that makes the better than those who tell the truth? Or is it just to keep the peace and get some sort of answer rather than none at all? Or is Cindy just belligerently living a fantasy she refuses to give up because she's a narcissist?

Back on topic, the language of Casey and Cindy alone makes me want to scream. It's not only infuriating, it's insulting, like we little people wouldn't understand their point of view without a lengthy explanation or words like "absolutely". At times I wanted smack Cindy and Casey and say, "Give me a STRAIGHT answer! Quit dressing it up or avoiding it all together!" UGH!

One other thing I agree with is not realizing until later what the sociopath said. I have been angered so many times when I realized later that what the sociopathic person said to me was to make me guilty and agree with them or it was what I wanted to hear and wasn't true upon thinking about it or having one of their lies finally exposed. I hate the manipulation the most.

I will say, it will be interesting to see Cindy up on the stand and how the SA and HHJP deal with her. I really hope they are able to get her to say SHORT answers, or that will be one long frakking hearing on the 15th.

ETA: I need to read some of these books you guys are recommending and talking about. It makes this thread just fascinating!

About Lee ..... he also is sociopath, only not to to degree and extremes that CA and ICA have achieved.

Lee is atypical of the majority that one meets in public settings. He knows a boundary line when he feels manipulation will not work to his advantage and moves on. Where CA and ICA push and push and push.

If Lee was normal, he would have immediately chosen to tell the truth, the gospel truth, not CAs truth. He would have severed those ties that bind him today to CA. Mallory isn't any better. She too knows the truth, yet has chosen to become part of the coverup.

Lee may know deep inside of himself that he should leave the blood ties, but still submits to CAs will, knowing it will ultimately destroy him. He no doubt feels that one of the others may give it up and save him from doing it.

Until Lee gathers that inner strength to understand the damage CA has done and he has to inner abilities to leave, changes his ways of interacting with people, he will always be living an eternal lie.

After two years, I have all but given up expectations of Lee coming forward and giving Caylee justice even if it means having legal consequences for him.

One interaction that always stuck with me was a jail visit between George and Casey. George was telling Casey how they celebrated Caylee's birthday by making chili. He mentioned that a stranger who befriended them came for dinner.
Now, a normal person would ask her father who exactly this stranger was? How did you meet him? Why invite him to her daughter's birthday celebration?

Not Casey. She had no questions. She simply said something like, "That probably means more to him than you will ever know." It was like she was a soulless robot regurgitating words that she thought were deep.

Hello WS :)

This will sound crazy in of itself but I have known more sociopaths/narcissists in my life than non sociopaths/narcissists. Mostly, I am speaking of my family but I include a number of bosses my husband has had and a few of my own.

My husband is the only person in my life that is not this way. Other family members that are not sociopaths or narcissists are affected by the narcissists/sociopaths to the degree that because I don't "play along" or "learn to keep my mouth shut/get along" with the sociopaths: they have nothing to do with me.

When I came to Websleuths I found a bunch of other people who understand and can see through the "normal" behavior of narcissists and sociopaths, I have found some validation for the "diagnosis" I have given my family members. Explaining to someone what is "so horrible" about my family would be as complicated and long as explaining to someone unfamiliar with the Anthony case why some are of the opinion that Cindy is a narcissist at best and a sociopath at worse.

The mind games and passive aggressive behavior Cindy has toward Casey is all too familiar to me and when reading Cindy's words or seeing her in the media, I know exactly what she is up to and doing...it is (sorry)wonderful for me to be validated by people such as Dr. Glass and many other people(by their comments on the internet).

I have never been afraid of that "stranger" that looks like a bum and is wandering around...to me what there is to be afraid of, very afraid of is the "normal" person. The dance that Casey and Cindy are engaged in...I walked away from with my mother. In her eyes, we were to be locked in battle till the day one of us died: as she was with her mother. And Cindy and Casey are locked in this battle until the day one of them die, ahem.

Cindy says being a liar does not make you a murderer. So what? Lying, in of itself is not the trait of a good person. Period. The fact that Cindy defends lies and "mistruths" goes a long way in explaining how she justifies her lies, and that she knows she lies but still wants to be seen as a good person.

The language or speech patterns are all too familiar to me. I agree there is a commonality in the behavior and speech of a sociopath/narcissist. I was drawn to this case because of Caylee but in watching Casey and Cindy all I can say is "that is my family!" Except in my family my mother worked it into us all(three children)so that none of us has had any children. The youngest is my brother and he is in his mid thirties and by his own words never wants to have children. My sister has had several abortions(I am only speaking of my sister and my experience I am making no political statement regarding abortion)and in my opinion my sister did it to "spite" my Mother(ETA: she may have made up the stories to upset my mom, but she told my brother who told the family just as Casey claims to have told Lee about a miscarriage and he told Cindy, either way my sister hates my mother, actively openly and makes no qualms about it and has since she was a young girl). It may sound crazy that I say my mother trained us to not have children and that my sister making sure that was so...was "spite" towards my Mother. It would seem she was doing what our Mother wanted but that is the kind of deep confusing behavior you deal with when you deal with sociopaths.

That the word "spite" comes up in the Anthony case is a good example of why I think there is a language or speech pattern at work with sociopaths. Saying we were doing things "just to spite her" was a favorite of my mothers. Almost every person I have in my family, and in my husband's family lie all the time. On any given day, they may say one thing and then later on say the opposite and if you confront them: boy look out!

I notice when Cindy is upset, Casey has the attitude, "why is she crying?" And, when Casey is upset Cindy has the attitude, "well, you brought this on yourself sweetheart." And the "sweetheart"...well, in sociopath speak: that means nothing other than a cut as Cindy has her non reaction to Casey being upset. In a mother daughter sociopath dance: each tries to get a reaction out of the other, my mother never seemed happier than when I was crying and upset. She would smile, laugh at me and mock my tears telling me how I brought whatever it was on myself.

IMO, Caylee was not too young to be affected by the insane behavior of her family. She had no friends, Casey put her in her "pen" while she entertained boys. The mind games that were no doubt already being played on Caylee would have only grown worse as the years went by, it is NOT better that Caylee left this world and did not have to grow up "with all this stuff" as Casey opined in one of her letters to Robyn. For all the pain of growing up as I did, everyone deserves their life(need I say that? not to non sociopaths, of course)and it's a horrible tragedy that Caylee didn't get the chance to grow up and walk away from her family. Caylee was not like them, Cindy knows that, Casey knew that, George and Lee knew that...and imo, that was what was most dangerous for Caylee and why her life was taken(even before it was TAKEN)from her by her (I use these terms loosely) mother and grandmother.

Women like my mother, Cindy and Casey all use the cover of "loving mother" to hide what they are. In fact, Cindy thinks she was a wonderful mother, nurturing and protective and calls Casey a "perfect mother" because that is how they want to be seen not how they really are. People are of the opinion that all mothers love their children and in my experience this is just not so...children don't have to be abducted to be in the control of sick people who only want to hurt them.

IMHO, they are all the same. They all act exactly the same, there is such a thing as "sociopathic" behavior and speech.

:twocents:

OMG - I included your quote because it's worth another read for those unlucky enough to have this type of family.

As I was reading this I thought it could have been written by me! I never had any children...my mother was a big part of that. I have had far too many of these people in my life, most of them women and I can spot it a mile away too.

The crazy part is - there are those moments when they are good mothers, it's like they have a split personality but whatever loving feelings you may receive are negated by the cruelty, selfishness guilt throwing, controlling etc.

Anyway, thanks for that post. You are not alone as you know.

I think some people are confusing borderline personality disorder for sociopathy.

Those of you with crazy-making biological mothers need to read:

"Understanding the Borderline Mother" by Christine Lawson.

**excerpt:

"Laura's mother was no ordinary mother. Submerged in the cold darkness of despair, mothers with borderline personality disorder (BPD) struggle to keep their heads above water. They cling desperately to whoever is near and can pull their own children into the blackness. Borderline mothers are intense, unpredictable, and sometimes volatile. One day they may see their children as angelic; other days their rage or sarcasm can shatter their children's souls. Mothers with several children may perceive one child as all good and another as no-good, splitting and projecting contradictory feelings about themselves onto different children."

"Children who grow up with borderline mothers live in a make-believe world that is neither fiction nor fantasy. Borderland is an emotional world where loving mothers resemble storybook characters: helpless waifs, frightened hermits, bossy queens, or vindictive witches. This whimsically dangerous world is filled with contradiction and fraught with emotional storms that defy prediction."

This may have already been discussed in this thread, but the most telling exchange between CA & KC is in the call home when KC huffily says: "I saw your little cameo" and CA says, "which one? I've given several".
You can hear the venom in KC's voice and the complete self righteous smugness in CA's voice. That exchange would make a great snippet in a movie trailer.

The Anthony family is so pathetically attention starved because they are so jealous of one another! I bet you KC never heard one authentic complimentary thing from that rival shrew of a Mother of hers ever......until, of course, CA realized how serious all this was/is and decided to magically turn KC into Joan of Arc. CA can beat her chest over how much she looooves KC but KC knows CA is lying about everything..and especially these proclamations of love for KC. CA hates KC, has hated her for years and KC knows it!

* If I didn't dislike CA so much I would feel sorry for her too--her life must be so vacuous to have enjoyed the hooplah about your missing grandchild!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361