GUILTY VA - Tina Smith, 41, slain, 12yo daughter abducted, Salem, 2 Dec 2010 - #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing - A few of these I had not seen before. There is a picture of the cargo area of a red suv. The two big objects in the back - are they speakers?

I'm not sure why that is posted to the album. Maybe only a reference to what the cargo area looks like, but it does look like some type of speaker doesn't it? That particular pic was dated in '07....so I really don't know.

COD is usually simple, right? like strangled, sufficated, blunt force..............
with 'details' later on HOW.
I doubt if it is to shield Brittany.
Everyday we see COD ..........it has to be something to do with the CRIME and evidence like in DNA.

My guess would be that they'd do as much evidence processing in VA as possible due to chain of custody issues and the fact that the lab personnel might need to testify. I'd think that the processing of the crime scene evidence already would be well underway.

We don't know yet whether LE took DNA samples from anyone else, like AMc. Maybe the evidence that's coming with their personal belongings from CA will link someone else to the crime scene. My guess is that LE wants to have its ducks in a tight firm row before charges are filed.

There's really no hurry...JE isn't going anywhere. Better to do it right the first time, and get everyone involved picked up quickly so that no one has time to flee.

COD is usually simple, right? like strangled, sufficated, blunt force..............
Everyday we see COD ..........it has to be something to do with the CRIME and evidence like in DNA.

Yeah. I agree. I think they are gathering all their evidence, as well as people involved if there were others, before they release everything because if one thing is out of place, it could throw their whole investigation out the window. My older brother ( who is a Roanoke City cop ) said if they have evidence showing that there was suspicion of more than one person, they have to have everyone identified before releasing anything.

Does AMc REALLY have that tattooed on his back?! I mean, REALLY?! People never cease to amaze me...and not in a good way.

Think of how it will be taken in the big house!!!!!!!! Bet he will regret that tat! :croc::croc::loser:

COD can be complicated. Most of the time it isn't. The fact that she was there for, more than likely, 2-3 days before being found, rigor mortis would have already done a number on the body. Of the 26 stages, 23 of them are completed within 3 days and the details of each stage are quite gory. After 24 hours, the face would be hard to recognize. With the gases expanding and causing bloating and the presence of fluids, I can see where it might be difficult to determine a COD right away. In this case, though, a COD has been determined, no doubt. It would have to be on the death certificate. It will be released...and I'd surmise that it will be when the murder charges are brought against JE. I agree that it not being released probably has little to do with shielding Brittany. I would venture to guess that the family already knows...though Brittany might not.

Would a family member have had to ID the body, I wonder? Perhaps that's why the family said she was beaten to death because in the same sentence they said LE had told them nothing.

Yeah. I agree. I think they are gathering all their evidence, as well as people involved if there were others, before they release everything because if one thing is out of place, then it could have their whole investigation thrown out the window. My older brother ( who is a Roanoke City cop ) said if they have evidence showing that there was suspicion of more than one person, they have to have everyone identified before releasing anything.

makes sense to me!

Would a family member have had to ID the body, I wonder?

No. There were co-workers that did an eye-witness ID plus she found in her own home where there would have been pictures and identifying info. If she were completely unrecognizable, most likely a dental ID would have been done.

This is slightly OT, but in this case (as in many others), a co-worker supposedly used a key to enter the home. They found Tina and contacted LE. I cannot imagine the image in your mind of finding a friend/family member (or anyone, for that matter).

Maybe if there's one thing we can take away from these folks experiences is to always recommend that LE be contacted and go in or at least accompany someone to the home. For one, a family member shouldn't be plagued by that image. Secondly, a perp could still be in the home.

Just wanted to share this...

Yeah. I agree. I think they are gathering all their evidence, as well as people involved if there were others, before they release everything because if one thing is out of place, then it could have their whole investigation thrown out the window. My older brother ( who is a Roanoke City cop ) said if they have evidence showing that there was suspicion of more than one person, they have to have everyone identified before releasing anything.

We also have to consider the fact the JSE's DNA was likely all over that house as he'd been living there. LE is challanged with finding something directly linking him to the murder without relying totally on DNA.

IMO
That being said, should they find McElvy's DNA in the house, he was on video near the home, possessed stolen property taken from the victim's home to boot.... waa laa charge McElvy and he'd quickly plea down and sing like a canary to implicate JSE.

We also have to consider the fact the JSE's DNA was likely all over that house as he'd been living there. LE is challanged with finding something directly linking him to the murder without relying totally on DNA.

IMO
That being said, should they find McElvy's DNA in the house, he was on video near the home, possessed stolen property taken from the victim's home to boot.... waa laa charge McElvy and he'd quickly plea down and sing like a canary to implicate JSE.

I bet if she had DNA under her nails, some one will have some splainnin to do.

COD can be complicated. Most of the time it isn't. The fact that she was there for, more than likely, 2-3 days before being found, rigor mortis would have already done a number on the body. Of the 26 stages, 23 of them are completed within 3 days and the details of each stage are quite gory. After 24 hours, the face would be hard to recognize. With the gases expanding and causing bloating and the presence of fluids, I can see where it might be difficult to determine a COD right away. In this case, though, a COD has been determined, no doubt. It would have to be on the death certificate. It will be released...and I'd surmise that it will be when the murder charges are brought against JE. I agree that it not being released probably has little to do with shielding Brittany. I would venture to guess that the family already knows...though Brittany might not.

Would a family member have had to ID the body, I wonder? Perhaps that's why the family said she was beaten to death because in the same sentence they said LE had told them nothing.

Thanks so much, IDNK why I thought she would be in perfect condition.......I'm just not thinking of decomp.........you are so right.
What an awful mmory for those that found her. Bless TS.

Abduction suspect returns to VA.
A man accused of abducting a 12-year-old girl and taking her to California has returned to Virginia to face charges.
Media outlets report that 32-year-old Jeffrey Easley arrived in Roanoke with two Roanoke County detectives Wednesday night.
More...

Jeffrey Easley back in Roanoke to face abduction counts
Due to the winter weather, Jeffrey Easley's arraignment has been moved from today to 1 p.m. Friday.
Jeffrey Easley, caught with his slain girlfriend's 12-year-old daughter in San Francisco last week, landed in Roanoke on Wednesday night with two detectives to face abduction charges.
More...

Jeffrey Easleys arraignment postponed due to weather
Jeffrey Easley's arraignment for Thursday has been postponed due to weather.
We're told Easley will be arraigned on Friday at 1 p.m.
More... Video included...

You guys maybe they aren't releasing COD for Brittanys sake? I mean yeah she knows her mom is dead but she might not know HOW she died.

I personally think LE is getting all the ducks in the row to make sure they have a solid case before releasing much more. They have filed charges, announced suspicion and the like but they want these charges to stick!

I personally think LE is getting all the ducks in the row to make sure they have a solid case before releasing much more. They have filed charges, announced suspicion and the like but they want these charges to stick!

Absolutely agree, but Ducks are difficult when trying to get them in a row. Always there is a stray going in the wrong direction :innocent:

This is slightly OT, but in this case (as in many others), a co-worker supposedly used a key to enter the home. They found Tina and contacted LE. I cannot imagine the image in your mind of finding a friend/family member (or anyone, for that matter).

Maybe if there's one thing we can take away from these folks experiences is to always recommend that LE be contacted and go in or at least accompany someone to the home. For one, a family member shouldn't be plagued by that image. Secondly, a perp could still be in the home.

Just wanted to share this...

Not to get off topic here. However, I found my Mother dead at her age of 52. I did cpr on her etc to no avail. She had been gone for several hours already. Her face was blue, her jaw was locked and all because she had a heart attack. It is very traumatizing. I can only imagine the counseling the co-worker will need. It can be very haunting.

Not to get off topic here. However, I found my Mother dead at her age of 52. I did cpr on her etc to no avail. She had been gone for several hours already. Her face was blue, her jaw was locked and all because she had a heart attack. It is very traumatizing. I can only imagine the counseling the co-worker will need. It can be very haunting.

My mother was explaining to me about finding my great-grandmother. She passed away during the night. My mother said she had went to bed at midnight and that my great-grandmother was in bed. My mom said she woke up at 7am the next morning and knew something was wrong because she could usually hear ( through baby monitors ) my great-grandmother up around 5am. When she found her, she was in the floor on her stomach and she was blue and very stiff and all the blood had sunk to the lower part of her. She couldn't even move her when trying to turn her over to check her face. This was in a period of less than 7 hours. It's hard telling what state TS was in when she was found. One thing was it got very cold that weekend ; so that alone, could throw the TOD off, let alone decomposition. Not saying it didn't take place, but the cold could have slowed it down. Overall, I can't imagine finding someone I know dead, especially if it was done in a horrible manner.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member