GUILTY VA - Tina Smith, 41, slain, 12yo daughter abducted, Salem, 2 Dec 2010 - #8

What I heard Lt. Chuck Mason state was: "right now she is a victim"; around the 1:00 minute mark. The key words for me is "right now". I am totally uncomfortable with Lt. Mason not wanting to comment on when BS knew of her mother's death.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj-kidnapping-suspect-on-suicide-121710,0,10489.story

Since accounts of the state TS was in when discovered are considered rumor I shall refrain from discussing them even though those details go to this theory....that said - What if she was still alive when the person or persons, who left her that way, exited the house...badly injured and "indisposed" but not dead. Friday 12/3 to Monday 12/6 is a mighty long time to lay severly injured. That could possibly explain LE's reluctance to discuss the time of death. It would also mean that BS and JE would not have been aware of her demise until later... maybe from a newscast or radio broadcast.

What gives me pause and speaks loudest (to me) is Mason's hesitation and demeanor when giving his non-answer to the question of when BS became aware of TS's death. IF, in fact, she was unaware, until after some time had passed, then why not just answer the question? I can't imagine that, if she didn't learn until later, it would cause any harm to an on-going investigation so that argument doesn't wash.

What I heard Lt. Chuck Mason state was: "right now she is a victim"; around the 1:00 minute mark. The key words for me is "right now". I am totally uncomfortable with Lt. Mason not wanting to comment on when BS knew of her mother's death.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj-kidnapping-suspect-on-suicide-121710,0,10489.story

I am feeling the same way about the pause he took. It wasn't a normal pause. It was drawn out with a blank expression. It was almost like he wanted to answer the question, but knew he couldn't, but ALSO knew it wasn't going to be a "good" answer or an answer we would like to hear. It made me very uncomfortable. In my head, I was thinking "Oh great ..... Now what" ?

I am feeling the same way about the pause he took. It wasn't a normal pause. It was drawn out with a blank expression. It was almost like he wanted to answer the question, but knew he couldn't, but ALSO knew it wasn't going to be a "good" answer or an answer we would like to hear. It made me very uncomfortable. In my head, I was thinking "Oh great ..... Now what" ?

Yep....that, and the "right now" portion that Patty G referenced, makes me think that if he had answered the question in any way other than what most want to hear, that BS was unaware until much later, it would have opened the floodgates for countless f/u questions... (most of which are already going through my mind)... that LE can't or won't answer.

How sad they lost their first child and the second was apparently a premie---now with mental and physical handicaps.:( I hope she can change that child's last name. What a :loser:this guy is. My guess is he only wanted to get back with her because of HER financial support of him.:furious:

at the bottom of the page, he lists his income since 2003. What I find strange is from 2003-2008 there was only 1 year he made more than 8,000 dollars. He was a young healthy adult male and they should be years he was earning income. So what was he doing? He also states he pays 258 a month for a son from a previous relationship. With these earnings, how was he coming up with the money for child support? Was wife #2 paying for his responsibilities to wife #1?
I get the impression that Easley is used to other people taking care of him. Let me rephrase that.... I think Easley is used to females taking care of him.

Have we heard anything about Tina's funeral?
Isn't it today?

It may not mean anything. For all we know, Brittany may have gotten his phone and sent the easiest quickest message she could send as a way to send out a signal so she could be found.

I just copied and pasted something from my personal FB page into an email regarding something that has nothing at all to do with this situation/case. Although what I could see when I copied were just the message, the date and the person's name, when I pasted, there were 3 little boxes with "gibberish" like what we're looking at re: JSE's post. The boxes aren't visible on the page.

I've found lots of slang words that could match what looks like abbreviations in JE's possibly cryptic message but, since I've not seen the actual source of the 'message', and since I know now that there are strings of letters embedded on FB with messages, I'm hesitant to post the rest of the slang.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/roanoke/obituary.aspx?n=tina-louise-dyer-smith&pid=147061273

Tina Louise Dyer Smith | Visit Guest Book

Ms. Tina Louise Dyer Smith, of 3341 Fort Lewis Circle, Salem, Va., formerly of South Boston, Va., died Friday, December 3, 2010, at her home. She was born in Richmond, Va., on November 9, 1969, and was 41 years of age. She was the daughter of the late George W. Dyer Jr. and Charlotte Lane Hornick, who survives. Ms. Smith was a member of the Ash Avenue Baptist Church. Ms. Tina Louise Dyer Smith is survived by one daughter, Brittany Mae Smith, of Salem and South Boston, Va.; and Brittany's father, Benny Smith, of South Boston, Va.; her mother, Charlotte L. Hornick and husband, Tom, of Harrisburg, N.C.; her stepmother, Elizabeth Dyer, of South Boston, Va.; her maternal grandmother, Frances Dyer, of South Boston, Va.; four sisters, Tracey Dyer White, of Alton, Va., Angel Spangler of South Boston, Va., Gloria DeYoung, of Hudson, Ohio, and Rhonda Blanton, of Charlotte, N.C.; three brothers, Donny Dyer, of South Boston, Va., Tommy Hornick, of Charlotte, N.C., and Richard Powell, of Dundas, Va.; and a number of nieces, nephews, cousins and special aunts. She was preceded in death by one son, William Tyler Matherly. A Memorial Service for Ms. Tina Louise Dyer Smith will be held at a later date. The family will be at the home of Tracey and Kenny White, 2053 Paradise Road, Alton, Va. Online condolences may be directed to www.powellfunerals.com. Arrangements are by Powell Funeral Home, 1603 Wilborn Avenue, South Boston, Va., 434-572-3525.

I just copied and pasted something from my personal FB page into an email regarding something that has nothing at all to do with this situation/case. Although what I could see when I copied were just the message, the date and the person's name, when I pasted, there were 3 little boxes with "gibberish" like what we're looking at re: JSE's post. The boxes aren't visible on the page.

I've found lots of slang words that could match what looks like abbreviations in JE's possibly cryptic message but, since I've not seen the actual source of the 'message', and since I know now that there are strings of letters embedded on FB with messages, I'm hesitant to post the rest of the slang.

On the following photobucket site are alot of interesting screen shots. If you page through, see page 6 for a screen shot of slide 106. (Note: slides appear to be added to the beginning of the album, so as time goes on the slide in question could be at a higher numbered position.)

http://s1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee473/TrueCrimeArchives/Jeff%20Easley%20-%20Jeffrey%20Scott%20Eeasley/

ETA: This appears to be his last post. However, the exact day it was posted is unclear to me now.

Now that BS is found and safe with family I am uncomfortable speculating about what specifically she saw, knew or went through, wether she is a victim "for now" and what that means. Uppermost in my mind is that she is 12. I am sure many details will be coming out in future. Probably ones that I will wish hadn't.

I can continue following the story and continue specualtion on what happened to TS and why and I certainly am not trying to influence how others perceive this case. But for me, speculation on BS' knowledge of TS manner and time of death is off limits for the time.

My understanding was that they called on Friday December 3rd. Which would make sense if they were at a Christmas party at the time.

I don't know what they told them about what was going on when they called.

However, even if they had somehow acted within a couple of hours and gone out to the house on Friday, they wouldn't have found her. What are they going to do, break down the door? If Easley had been inside he would have simply left after they did. If he had been gone, he would have not stopped if they were there.

They would have probably come back a few times and then called someone to enter the house on Monday if they couldn't find them. (Just like the coworker did.) Because for all they knew, they were out of town for the weekend.

I honestly don't think this would have been any different if they had gone out there on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. They would have needed to get there at the specific time when Easley was exiting or entering the house on Friday. The odds of that are just crazy, especially since we think he pulled a vehicle into the garage to load it up...so odds are that he hardly ever stepped outside the garage, if he did at all.

AND he may have simply killed that person as well if he had been confronted. We have no idea what frame of mind he was in at that point.

If the family had called on November 29th... I would be screaming and yelling that this could have been prevented. But it is really hard for me to imagine them being able to take a report, process that, assign it to somebody and have that person out there within a couple of hours.

Especially if that report is "this guy is acting really weird around his girlfriend's daughter." When they have many other reports of "this 3 year old is covered in cigarette burns" or "this 5 year old is covered in infected welts from being beaten" or this 4 year old just showed me what Daddy does to her every night after Mommy goes to bed."

These family members saw this behavior over Thanksgiving.

They had an entire week to call and report it, which would have allowed CPS more time to react.

They had her father who is a cop, that they could have called.

I am not defending CPS...I cannot just place all the blame on CPS in this case. I don't think they had enough time to prevent this. :twocents:

IMO...so they wouldn't have to face the possibility that SS dropped the ball and this whole thing could have been prevented. If the calls to social services were made prior to TS death, had a social worker gone to the house to investigate the allegations of child abuse, TS may still be alive/ BS would have never been kidnapped. Even if the correct SS office was not alerted until friday, again if they had gone to the house to investigate, TS may have been found sooner and JE wouldn't have got such a big head start, they could have possibly caught JE and BS coming back to the house for clothes...etc.

Did the relatives state "child abuse" when they called DCF or did they state that they obseved Easley touching her arm and her hair?

I fail to understand why he is in juvenile court. They say it's because Brittany is 12? What does her age have to do with him (an adult) being in juvenile court?

I wonder if LE is waiting until after the funeral to make any further statements re" any possibility of Brittany having knowledge of her mother's murder.

I think the kidnapping charges were addressed in J and FD court because he was in unauthorized control of a minor. That is kidnapping. Since we can't hear it from TS lips that he was not authorized to have her perhaps those charges cannot be leveled in criminal court til LE has more evidence that JE is responsible for TS' inability to speak to the matter of where BS should have been rather than in his care and custody.

As to BS being a victim "right now" and the Lt. being reticent to discuss details of when and what BS knew, I have fears that JE is going to spin a tale of forbidden love and that he he did not kidnap her but rather that she is somehow involved or soley responsible and further that he was simply trying to help her escape the consequences so they could live happily ever after. I hope I am wrong because in my opinion - that story would be complete bunk. If he goes that route, I will be the first lined up to scream and hollar and demand he be hanged in a public square.

No matter what the answers to the questions of what was known when by the 12 year old child - He was the adult. He was leading the way. No one will ever convince me otherwise. He was the seducer, she was the victim. End of debate for me.

I hope they throw every book imaginable at this sicko and I hope that BS is able to recover from whatever she was dragged into or through.

I fail to understand why he is in juvenile court. They say it's because Brittany is 12? What does her age have to do with him (an adult) being in juvenile court?

"Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court: ...The court also hears family abuse cases, cases where adults have been accused of child abuse or neglect, and criminal cases where the defendant and alleged victim are family or household members."

http://www.courts.state.va.us/courts/jdr/home.html

She's 12 and he had been a member of the household.

I'm still surprised he hasn't been charged in federal court on the abduction
charges but perhaps this was more expeditious. Neither the law nor court procedures make sense sometimes.

Maybe they don't have enough evidence yet. maybe she's saying she went willingly. Whether it's the truth or not, who knows, but maybe they are hesitant becasue either she's saying she went with on her own, or she won't talk at all which is possible.

Maybe they don't have enough evidence yet. maybe she's saying she went willingly. Whether it's the truth or not, who knows, but maybe they are hesitant becasue either she's saying she went with on her own, or she won't talk at all which is possible.

Willingly or not, she is a minor and he has no custody of her which SHOULD make transporting her across state lines a federal issue.

Tina Louise Dyer Smith Obituary

Tina Smith Memorial Service
South Boston, VA - Friends and family celebrated the life of 41-year-old Tina Smith in South Boston Saturday. You may remember, Smith died in an apparent homicide in Roanoke County earlier this month.
Her death was followed by a nation wide search for her missing 12-year-old daughter Brittany, later found in California with her alleged abductor, Jeffrey Easley.
Smith's pastor called on her friends and family to remember her not just for her "quick departure" but also for the life that she lived.
More...

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/roanoke/obituary.aspx?n=tina-louise-dyer-smith&pid=147061273

Tina Louise Dyer Smith | Visit Guest Book

Ms. Tina Louise Dyer Smith, of 3341 Fort Lewis Circle, Salem, Va., formerly of South Boston, Va., died Friday, December 3, 2010, at her home. She was born in Richmond, Va., on November 9, 1969, and was 41 years of age. She was the daughter of the late George W. Dyer Jr. and Charlotte Lane Hornick, who survives. Ms. Smith was a member of the Ash Avenue Baptist Church. Ms. Tina Louise Dyer Smith is survived by one daughter, Brittany Mae Smith, of Salem and South Boston, Va.; and Brittany's father, Benny Smith, of South Boston, Va.; her mother, Charlotte L. Hornick and husband, Tom, of Harrisburg, N.C.; her stepmother, Elizabeth Dyer, of South Boston, Va.; her maternal grandmother, Frances Dyer, of South Boston, Va.; four sisters, Tracey Dyer White, of Alton, Va., Angel Spangler of South Boston, Va., Gloria DeYoung, of Hudson, Ohio, and Rhonda Blanton, of Charlotte, N.C.; three brothers, Donny Dyer, of South Boston, Va., Tommy Hornick, of Charlotte, N.C., and Richard Powell, of Dundas, Va.; and a number of nieces, nephews, cousins and special aunts. She was preceded in death by one son, William Tyler Matherly. A Memorial Service for Ms. Tina Louise Dyer Smith will be held at a later date. The family will be at the home of Tracey and Kenny White, 2053 Paradise Road, Alton, Va. Online condolences may be directed to www.powellfunerals.com. Arrangements are by Powell Funeral Home, 1603 Wilborn Avenue, South Boston, Va., 434-572-3525.

I thought I read it would be today.
Her memorial must be very private and no date announced so
press will not cover it since Brittany is only 12.

RIP Tina, your little girl is home and safe.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zen1974
Back