GUILTY VA - Tina Smith, 41, slain, 12yo daughter abducted, Salem, 2 Dec 2010 - #8

I'm trying to get the straight skinny on this 'protective order' but I think it had to do with a young girl (maybe BMS...that's what I'm trying to clarify) making allegations that Mr. Smith had attempted to touch her inappropriately. People I know who know him well say there's no way he would have ever done anything like this and, in fact, I don't think the allegations went anywhere as the PO was lifted and he's been back at work for awhile now. I know that Mr. Smith and BMS were together at a big cook-out in early September and getting along well. I'm wondering if she and Easley might have cooked up the allegations...knowing how it would affect her relationship with her father, clearing the way for JSE to become her de facto stepfather.

"Commonwealth's Attorney Randy Leach says he's waiting on evidence in the murder, including DNA, to come back from the lab. Easley's attorney, Tom Roe, says he expects a murder charge to come out of the April grand jury. Roe says he does not know whether that charge will be against Easley or someone else."

"The prosecution objected when the defense asked Mr. Smith if his daughter is living with him now. The judge told Mr. Smith he did not need to answer that question.
Roanoke County Police would not say if Brittany is currently living with Ben Smith, only that she is living with family outside the Roanoke area."

"The defense stated Easley was listed as the emergency contact on Brittany's school records."

http://www2.wsls.com/news/2011/feb/08/6/jeff-easley-court-preliminary-hearing-ar-828253/

"Commonwealth's Attorney Randy Leach says he's waiting on evidence in the murder, including DNA, to come back from the lab. Easley's attorney, Tom Roe, says he expects a murder charge to come out of the April grand jury. Roe says he does not know whether that charge will be against Easley or someone else."

"The prosecution objected when the defense asked Mr. Smith if his daughter is living with him now. The judge told Mr. Smith he did not need to answer that question.
Roanoke County Police would not say if Brittany is currently living with Ben Smith, only that she is living with family outside the Roanoke area."

"The defense stated Easley was listed as the emergency contact on Brittany's school records."

http://www2.wsls.com/news/2011/feb/08/6/jeff-easley-court-preliminary-hearing-ar-828253/

interesting stuff here!

Virginia man bound over in cross country abduction of girl
A Virginia judge on Tuesday sent to a grand jury the case against a man accused of abducting a 12-year-old girl whose mother was later found dead.
Roanoke County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Judge Philip Trompeter found probable cause during a preliminary hearing for Jeffrey Scott Easley, who is accused of taking the girl across the country before being spotted outside a San Francisco supermarket.
The judge also denied Easley's bond request, Roanoke County spokeswoman Teresa Hall said.
More...

Abduction charge certified against Jeffrey Easley
A judge has certified the abduction charge against Easley and next the case will go to a grand jury.
Easley is accused of taking 12-year-old Brittany Mae Smith back in December after her mother, Tina, was found bound and beaten to death in her bedroom.
Some new information about the case came out in the preliminary hearing, but not nearly as much as was expected, although it was enough for a juvenile and domestic judge to find probable cause to move the abduction charge forward.
More... Video included...

Charges against Jeffrey Easley move forward
A Roanoke County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court judge certifies the felony abduction charge against Jeffrey Easley. Easley is accused of taking 12-year-old Brittany Smith across the country, after her mother's death. The grand jury is expected to take up the abduction charge on April 1.
We heard details of Tina Smith's murder for the first time, during Easley's preliminary hearing. An investigator testified Smith's body was found in a bedroom of her Ft. Lewis Circle home, bound with cord. He stated her hands were swollen and there were red stains about her head. The investigator stopped short of saying how Tina Smith died.
More... Video included...

Can someone tell me who gives this info to the school admins? Child or parents? TIA

interesting stuff here!

To say the least. Seems there were many family dynamics being played out in months prior to the SF trip and LE is prolly trying to get all of it straight. Hmmmmm.

Can someone tell me who gives this info to the school admins? Child or parents? TIA

To say the least. Seems there were many family dynamics being played out in months prior to the SF trip and LE is prolly trying to get all of it straight. Hmmmmm.

At our schools parents do it at the beginning of every school year during registration, although you can go into the office and change it at any time...
this case is just getting weirder...........

It has even entered my mind (although a very fleeting thought at best) that in some sort of twisted way, maybe JSE felt he was actually protecting BS from something by taking her with him. Oh how I want to believe nothing harmful occurred to this child during his time spent in the home and on that cross-country trip.

If someone is accusing B's father of some improper contact (not sure-just read that in a post above) this begins to sound more like the case in CA with the niece and the uncle running off together...:(

I'm trying to get the straight skinny on this 'protective order' but I think it had to do with a young girl (maybe BMS...that's what I'm trying to clarify) making allegations that Mr. Smith had attempted to touch her inappropriately. People I know who know him well say there's no way he would have ever done anything like this and, in fact, I don't think the allegations went anywhere as the PO was lifted and he's been back at work for awhile now. I know that Mr. Smith and BMS were together at a big cook-out in early September and getting along well. I'm wondering if she and Easley might have cooked up the allegations...knowing how it would affect her relationship with her father, clearing the way for JSE to become her de facto stepfather.

BBM Wasn't it mentioned that JSE had it in for LE or didn't like them, etc?
If so, this sick *&* may have manipulated BS into this also...IF allegations against her father were made. :maddening:

I keep checking for updates. Nothing. Bump, bump for Tina.

Waiting for grand jury to take up the abduction charges against JE April 1. And the murder charges that are supposed to come out of the grand jury.

Still hoping for justice for TS.

Wondering what's going to happen on Friday?! This is the case that brought me here as a lurker.

At 11:35 am:

The grand jury is meeting at this hour regarding the abduction of 12 year old Brittany Smith. Her accuser Jeffrey Easley is facing a more serious charge. Easley is charged with kidnapping Brittany Smith and taking her San Francisco back in December, shortly after her mother was found dead in her Roanoke County home. Easley was originally charged with simple abduction. He is now facing abduction with the intent to defile. The grand jury has not yet return an indictment.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj7-grand-jury-considering-jeff-easleys-abduction-charge-in-brittany-smith-case-20110401,0,1605804.story

The new charge is interesting:

§ 18.2-48. Abduction with intent to extort money or for immoral purpose.

Abduction (i) with the intent to extort money or pecuniary benefit, (ii) of any person with intent to defile such person, or (iii) of any child under sixteen years of age for the purpose of concubinage or prostitution, shall be a Class 2 felony. If the sentence imposed for a violation of (ii) or (iii) includes a term of confinement less than life imprisonment, the judge shall impose, in addition to any active sentence, a suspended sentence of no less than 40 years. This suspended sentence shall be suspended for the remainder of the defendant's life subject to revocation by the court.

http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-48.HTM

http://www2.wsls.com/news/2011/apr/01/jeffrey-easley-indicted-abduction-charge-roanoke-c-ar-943962/

"Three and a half months after he was brought back to Roanoke County from San Francisco, a grand jury has finally indicted Jeffrey Easley in the kidnapping of Brittany Smith. [...] Leach said investigators are still waiting to get back lab test results in the murder of Brittany's mother Tina Smith, before filing charges in Tina's death."

Sorry, looks like we were posting at approximately the same time!

So he kidnapped B. to prostitute her?

I am really wondering about him not having been charged yet for the mom's murder.
It must not be clear cut....
I wonder if JE is putting some of this on B......

I wonder what kind of test results they are waiting on? Toxicology?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back