OH OH - Katelyn Markham, 22, Fairfield, 14 August 2011 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll put my two cents in on the dog thing, because I have 20 years experience raising and training dogs...

Not all dogs like kennels. Some might like a cage but not a vari-kennel. Some might like the vari-kennel but not the cage. Some might not like either, and some may not give a crap. When I hear, ALL DOGS LOVE CRATES, I scratch my head. It's not so simple and it's just not true. Especially when you factor in how the cage/crate was used (positively or as a punishment).. but I have had dogs that just DID NOT LIKE THEM. I own/show/raise Cane Corsos, and I can tell you that 75% of the Corsos I've had will bust out of a crate. They simply do not like them. Now you could probably find someone who's had a lot of Corsos tell you the opposite, but really, it all depends on the dog.

I locked my one Corso ***** up in the bedroom when I left. It was the ONE room she wouldn't get into anything or destroy something... or even potty. I could leave her there for hours. If I put her in a crate, she found a way to bust out of it, and don't even ask me how many cages she's mangled!

Some dogs get bad separation anxiety when locked in a cage as their owner leaves, more so than if they have an entire room to themselves. It's quite possible whenever she left or went outside for a short period that she would leave the dog shut in her room. I really don't find that odd behavior at all, because I've done the same with mine.

As for where the dog was locked up, I could see someone in the moment, having just done something to KM, just rushing in and putting the dog somewhere and going. Even JC. Especially if it was barking, just put it in the closest room and shut the door. So right now, the location of the dog isn't bothering me in the slightest.

Also could it be the dog was sleeping on the bed with her the reason it was shut in her room? She gets up but the dog stays laying on the bed (mine rarely get up unless I am up for more than a few minutes) and she just shuts the door behind her?

My Newfoundland who is almost a year old will bust out of his crate then let my Jack Russell out of his. My Jack loves his crate but my newf, no way, panic, stress, escape at no cost. He is just fine if he is free to home the house.

As far as dogs go, if we have a conversation with raised voices at our house we have to put the dog "up" because she goes crazy, if we play fight or wrestle she has to be put up because someone is going to get bit.....I still think KM knew who was at the door and knew "why" they were there she didn't want the dog getting "excited" about company she closed the dog in her room to answer the door and she never made it back to the room, I use to have a boyfriend when I was young that lived nearby and when he pulled into my apartment (with back parking just like hers) he would flash his lights and I would see that flash and come let him in, my room mates bedroom was in the front of the apartment and that way he didn't have to knock...we will probably never know.

My Newfoundland who is almost a year old will bust out of his crate then let my Jack Russell out of his. My Jack loves his crate but my newf, no way, panic, stress, escape at no cost. He is just fine if he is free to home the house.

My favorite breed Newfoundland, my gma had them such gentle giants!

FWIW, the only time I have had messages sent/recd that were delayed on my Red Bberry, was if me or the other party was traveling cross country and out of cellphone range for a bit. Also, Bberry's are one of the last smartphones that you can use without signing up for an internet service. We like having our keyboards for texting without having to pay high internet fees.

I believe there is an importance to where the dog was. As JC said in the interviews. She always put the dog in the bathroom, where the dog had a bed, water and food. So she didn't leave her home intentionally expecting to be gone for a certain amount of time. So she either shut the dog in the bedroom, expecting to be right back, someone else shut the dog in there or she shut the dog in there to put him away while a visitor was there.

With zero evidence and information coming forward, no tips coming into the crimestoppers line, this is striking me as a very organized crime. If she opened the door, it would be to someone she knew (friend, family, coworker, peer, etc.) or someone that didn't seem dangerous (maybe looking like they needed help) or some other means of tricking her outside.

I wonder if there would be anything on police scanners in the area regarding the TES search?

I'll put my two cents in on the dog thing, because I have 20 years experience raising and training dogs...

Not all dogs like kennels. Some might like a cage but not a vari-kennel. Some might like the vari-kennel but not the cage. Some might not like either, and some may not give a crap. When I hear, ALL DOGS LOVE CRATES, I scratch my head. It's not so simple and it's just not true. Especially when you factor in how the cage/crate was used (positively or as a punishment).. but I have had dogs that just DID NOT LIKE THEM. I own/show/raise Cane Corsos, and I can tell you that 75% of the Corsos I've had will bust out of a crate. They simply do not like them. Now you could probably find someone who's had a lot of Corsos tell you the opposite, but really, it all depends on the dog.

I locked my one Corso ***** up in the bedroom when I left. It was the ONE room she wouldn't get into anything or destroy something... or even potty. I could leave her there for hours. If I put her in a crate, she found a way to bust out of it, and don't even ask me how many cages she's mangled!

Some dogs get bad separation anxiety when locked in a cage as their owner leaves, more so than if they have an entire room to themselves. It's quite possible whenever she left or went outside for a short period that she would leave the dog shut in her room. I really don't find that odd behavior at all, because I've done the same with mine.

As for where the dog was locked up, I could see someone in the moment, having just done something to KM, just rushing in and putting the dog somewhere and going. Even JC. Especially if it was barking, just put it in the closest room and shut the door. So right now, the location of the dog isn't bothering me in the slightest.

Also could it be the dog was sleeping on the bed with her the reason it was shut in her room? She gets up but the dog stays laying on the bed (mine rarely get up unless I am up for more than a few minutes) and she just shuts the door behind her?

I never once said all dogs love crates. What I said was, dogs will do what they are trained/used to doing. I also said dogs need to be trained for the kennel. I use kennel and crates interchangeably because to me, it's the same thing. I also, in this case, use the room the dog is used to going into and kennel interchangeably because, again, same concept. It has been stated as someone else said, that the dog is usually put in the bathroom. That is what makes me think it was either someone who didn't know the dog's routine or the dog did not trust the person enough to be locked in the bathroom, but it was perhaps chased/maneuvered into the bedroom. That could be John, that could be a complete stranger, or anyone in between.

I also very specifically said that it would be good to know if the dog was from a shelter/puppy store, or from a breeder/the mom. That does make a huge difference, as I've experienced, whether or not a dog needs a crate/likes them. I am assuming her dog needs to be put in a room because it has been stated she always put the dog in the bathroom. I have seen plenty of dogs that don't need a kennel at all, but it has been implied this one needed to be put put up.

Have you only trained one breed of dog? Were they all your dogs because it implies you train other dogs by 20 years of experience in dog training? If that is the case I have over 10 years training my own dogs (various mutts and shelter dogs as well as a couple of pure breds) and helping friends/family kennel train their different dogs. I also don't think that makes me an expert on all dogs, I was just making on observation about what I have read about her dog. I have also seen shelter dogs who don't need a kennel, although in my experience it's rare and they usually are in a home with other well-behaved dogs to show them how to behave.

I never even said I thought that was definitely the case, just something to look at if there was no other leads/it bothered me.

If the dog was sleeping then why even close the door, especially if it was John knocking or coming back? Maybe she did lock the dog in the bedroom to go for a walk, but that would be out of character for her since she normally locked the dog in the bathroom. Maybe John came in, she left the room, the dog stayed and John casually closed it in. But neither of those scenarios really make me think the dog being in the bedroom is any less strange. He would only close it in if he were planning on doing something to her.

I just went and ran errands and I must say EVERYWHERE you go people are talking about this case and I have to say each person I talked to today had the same person in their mind as a suspect BUT one sweet lady at the grocery made a VERY good point. IF this was someone who knew her and that person knew he was going to be the last person to see her and this was as well planned as it looks like it was WHY didn't that person take the dog and make it look like something happened to her and she maybe had taken the dog out for a walk. I must say this little lady sure has me thinking a little different.

I just went and ran errands and I must say EVERYWHERE you go people are talking about this case and I have to say each person I talked to today had the same person in their mind as a suspect BUT one sweet lady at the grocery made a VERY good point. IF this was someone who knew her and that person knew he was going to be the last person to see her and this was as well planned as it looks like it was WHY didn't that person take the dog and make it look like something happened to her and she maybe had taken the dog out for a walk. I must say this little lady sure has me thinking a little different.

I can imagine that it is the number one topic on everyone's minds. It hits everyone, a very scary thing to have someone just "vanish". Glad we have you there letting us know the vibe of what is going on :)

About the dog, JC did say that there were a couple things disturbed in her room and he discounted them as the dog could have done it. The pencil jar knocked over by the window and the hats knocked off her bedpost. That still could have signaled a struggle and that she was overtaken very quickly. Just a thought.

Ala Scott Peterson. I'm stumped. Nothing about this makes any sense.

One thing: If it was JC's habit to thrust the key in the door w/o thinking, that indicates to me that she kept the door locked 24/7.

maybe because they didn't want to have to fool with the dog...
better to let it stay/ put it in her room...and maybe that someone wanted to deviate from where KM would normally leave the dog for an extended length of time?

Either KM left the dog in her room at some point & closed the door to go downstairs or where ever, thinking she would be back soon
OR someone put the dog in the room, not knowing the bath was the normal spot (IF that is indeed the truth) ...or someone knew the routine and wanted to break from it.
If the dog had been found in its normal place to stay when KM went to work, then that would make me think she disappeared around the time she would be leaving for work, or had left to go to work.
But we don't know that she actually attempted to go to work
:banghead:

eta- and nothing was ever said that I am aware of, of what she may have been wearing

With zero evidence and information coming forward, no tips coming into the crimestoppers line, this is striking me as a very organized crime. If she opened the door, it would be to someone she knew (friend, family, coworker, peer, etc.) or someone that didn't seem dangerous (maybe looking like they needed help) or some other means of tricking her outside.

Do we know there are no tips coming in or are we assuming that because LE isn't saying anything? I haven't heard one way or another so I'm just asking.
Thanks

Do we know there are no tips coming in or are we assuming that because LE isn't saying anything? I haven't heard one way or another so I'm just asking.
Thanks

It's been reported in the last few recent articles that no tips are coming in to Crimestoppers.

I could see why a perp wouldn't take a dog with them. You don't know how friendly the dog is, and the dog could be recognized somewhere else. Or, you just lure someone away enough that they'll shut the dog in a room. I still would not be surprised if someone knocked on the door while she was laying in bed, and she simply left the dog in the bedroom and shut the door behind her thinking she would be right back. I grab my phone as a matter of habit when I get up, whether I'm actually going somewhere or not. Even if I think I'm just going to make a trip to the fridge for a late snack, I take my phone with me. KM could've been the same way.

Baa- as for the breeds of dogs I've owned/trained... it's been anywhere from Miniature Schnauzers to Great Danes to Cane Corsos. I currently own Corsos and a Bouvier also. I don't typically deal with mutts because I'm not a rescuer/adopter. I typically only am hands on with purebreds, since ATM I mostly handle dogs at AKC shows.

They liked the dog or the dog was making to much ruckus and they wanted out fast and with as little noise as possible following them. A dog barking like crazy in a room would distract from the door the person was being taken out.
On another note not related to your post - just tossing this in the mix.
Also, if a dog is stressed out majorly they often will loose potty training skills in fear and anxiety. (Not all, there is no 100% ever)

I can imagine that it is the number one topic on everyone's minds. It hits everyone, a very scary thing to have someone just "vanish". Glad we have you there letting us know the vibe of what is going on :)

About the dog, JC did say that there were a couple things disturbed in her room and he discounted them as the dog could have done it. The pencil jar knocked over by the window and the hats knocked off her bedpost. That still could have signaled a struggle and that she was overtaken very quickly. Just a thought.

Yes, if JC is telling us the truth and is not the one responsible, then it is possible the person was in her apartment the entire time (hidden in closet or in attic) and was just waiting for him to leave. Her and dog fall asleep and he pounces and again, dog barking distracts from him taking her out back door or front door and any car driving away. Hard to hear anything when you have a dog in full blown owner protect mode, IMHO.

Didn't JC say KM never wore hoop ear-rings?
Here is a pic outside the townhouse with huge hoops.
http://www.myspace.com/sublimeapc/photos/2373761#{%22ImageId%22%3A55160116}

I wonder if any of the neighbors heard the dog barking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni