Possible runaway from a group home?

elepher50

Help find Adji
Reaction score
It appears as if Jason Doe was never reported missing by any family members which leads me to believe that he may be a runaway from a group home and was just drifting from place to place.

Does anybody know of a central place where runaways from group homes during that time would be reported or kept in case anybody is looking for them?

Like other sleuths I have looked at so many reported missing and coming up empty, so maybe we need to take a look at other possibilities.

Just thinking out loud and appreciate everyone's thoughts - how would be go about identifying group homes that were operational around that time? Any thoughts?

That is also something I have thought about too. There are many kids out there who runaway but most of the time they are in a group. I have ran into a few of them every now in then. Most of the time they spend time hoping freight trains to get to one place or the other.

I think it's possible that he was in a foster home or group home, it's hard to say where to begin looking, if he were in a group home or foster home close to VA, I would think that perhaps it's possible they might have heard of Jason's story. I don't know if we would start looking at foster homes/group homes in NC, being they were very close to the NC border when the accident occurred, or if it's possible he may have even resided in SC (where the driver was from). Whatever the case, it would take a bit of time to try and track down group homes that existed in 1995 and prior.

I believe we should also look into the possibility of Jason being in a boarding school and running away from there.

Barium Springs Home for Children

General Contact Information:
Barium Springs Home for Children
Post Office Box 1
Barium Springs, NC 28010
704-872-4157
1-800-320-4157

The Teaching-Family Model, our residential program, serves youth age 8 - 21 by providing specialized, on-campus group care services and education for young people who come from an abusive, neglectful, or unstable family background.

Welcome to Barium Springs Home for Children! And, a very special welcome to the friends of the Rainbow Center! Since 1891, we have been committed to a safe and nurturing family life for every child. Barium Springs serves North Carolina's children and families by providing a caring place to live for abused or neglected children, early childhood development for low income families, counseling services and foster family programs. We also offer behavior treatment in a school setting for troubled teens as well as early intervention services for children still living in the community.
http://www.bariumsprings.org/

Eliada Homes and Services for Children and Families

Contact Information:

Eliada Homes, Inc.
2 Compton Drive
P.O. Box 16708
Asheville, NC 28816
828-254-5356
E-mail: info@eliada.org

Group Homes, Residential Treatment Programs, Family Foster Care, Day Care and After School Care, Day Treatment and Alternative School Programs.

Welcome to Eliada Home. Founded in 1903, we are a non-profit agency dedicated to our mission of helping children succeed. Located on a historic 200-acre campus in the mountains of Western North Carolina, we serve children and families through a diverse spectrum of programs and services, including residential care, child development services, foster care, community support services, therapeutic recreation, and many others.

http://www.eliada.org/

Elon Homes for Children

Contact Information (several locations listed..this looked like the best campus to begin with.)

Kennedy Campus - Charlotte, North Carolina

Elon Homes for Children
1717 Sharon Road West
Charlotte, NC 28210
Phone: (704) 369-2500
Fax: (704) 688-2960

It is the mission of Elon Homes for Children to provide a continuum of services that enhances the quality of spiritual, physical, emotional, intellectual and relational well being of youth and their families.

Since 1907, we have served children, families, and communities. As society has changed and the challenges of the education and care of a child has grown and changed, so has Elon Homes and Schools for Children. Our schools, programs and services reflect the needs of a fast paced society. But, no matter what circumstances arise, we maintain our one focus: the whole child. The children and families in our care are the sole reason we exist. Please do visit our websites to learn more about the good work and good results in our family of corporations.

http://www.elonhomes.org/ElonHomes/

Lutheran Family Services in the Carolinas

Lutheran Family Services in the Carolinas serves children and youths all across North and South Carolina

These services have been in place in one form or another since 1888

http://www.lfscarolinas.org/who-we-are/history/

Methodist Home for Children

Our small, community-based group homes provide short-term emergency care as well as longer stays.

For more than 100 years, Methodist Home for Children (MHC) has provided care for North Carolina's youth and families. Founded in 1899 as a traditional campus-based orphanage in Raleigh, MHC is now a community-based agency active throughout North Carolina, especially in the central and eastern regions. MHC provides an array of programs and services to:
ensure that children grow up in safe, loving homes
educate parents and caregivers about how best to nurture children and young adults
help young people navigate adolescence and,
work to eradicate the social and family problems that lead to abuse, neglect, family disruption, and child abandonment.

http://www.mhfc.org/home/

Nazareth Children's Home

Nazareth Children's Home will use the Teaching-Family Model as its core but will also provide psychiatric and psychological services through local providers such as Piedmont Mental Health.

Nazareth Children's Home was founded by the Rev. and Mrs. J.M.L. Lyerly in 1903 as an orphanage and officially opened its doors to children in 1906. For many years, Nazareth Children's Home provided care for disadvantaged or orphaned children as a traditional orphanage. Children who were admitted to Nazareth remained indefinitely, leaving only when they had completed school or reached adulthood.

http://www.nazch.com/index.html

Sipe's Orchard Home

Children's home offering residential care to boys and girls in North Carolina

Growing into their dreams. . .

Since the 1940's, Sipe's Orchard Home has offered a safe & caring home for children.
Today, the Orchard serves children with a variety of programs:

http://www.sipesorchardhome.org/

Southmountain Children and Family Services

The program serves children who, for various reasons, cannot live together in their own homes.

A Hundred Years From Now...
...it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of
house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove....but the world
may be different because I was important in the life of a child.

Providing Pathways of Change Since 1903

http://www.southmountain.org/

Youth Homes, Inc.

Youth Homes Inc. is a private, non-profit agency that has been providing residential and family strengthening services for children and families in Charlotte-Mecklenburg County since 1975.

Youth Homes, a division of the Children's Home Society of North Carolina, is a nationally COA-accredited, private nonprofit agency that has been providing supportive human services to children and families in Charlotte and Mecklenburg County since 1975. As part of its mission of “Building Promising Futures for Children and Their Families,” YH provides foster care, family preservation and strengthening, and delinquency prevention services to children and families in crisis. Last year, YH was a positive turning point in the lives of over 600 children and their families.

http://www.youthhomesinc.org/

Does anyone think it would be worthwhile to see if any of these group homes have FAX numbers so that we could FAX them a "flyer" with Jason's information?

Carolina Children's Home

Contact Information

Carolina Children's Home
Phone: (803) 787-2306
Fax: (803) 787-2642
E-Mail: info@carolinachildrenshome.com

Physical Address:
3201 Trenholm Road
Columbia, SC 29204

Mailing Address:
Post Office Box 4465
Columbia, SC 29240

The mission of Carolina Children's Home is to enhance the quality of life for children and families. Our primary service is to provide a home for children when they are unable to live with their family. We support this with a range of prevention and treatment programs that ensure continuity, are family focused and are community based.

Carolina Children’s Home is a rehabilitative treatment center that helps children and adolescents ranging from 6 to 21 years of age focus on healing, self-esteem, relationships, emotional and behavioral development. The Home accepts clients from every county in the state of South Carolina.

The Home’s primary treatment programs are targeted to children and adolescents with low to extreme behavioral management needs. These levels are defined by the severity of a child’s case, behavioral needs, experiences and the degree of supervision required. Although these programs are the backbone of the Home’s approach to rehabilitation, we have expanded our services significantly through a continuum of specialized treatment programs. And we continue to grow by leaps and bounds.

http://www.carolinachildrenshome.org/service.aspx

Carolina Youth Development Center

Several persons listed as contacts here: http://www.cydc.org/contact/?id=404

CYDC provides programs that reach more than 500 children and youth each year. We care for young people with very serious problems, including physical and sexual abuse, neglect, abandonment, and severe emotional disorders.

Founded in 1790 as the Charleston Orphan House, Carolina Youth Development Center’s mission is to assist children in reaching their full potential as healthy and well-adjusted individuals by delivering a continuum of prevention, assessment, intervention, and treatment services.

Originally located in downtown Charleston, the multiple programs of the Orphan House included an educational system, believed to have been one of the first in South Carolina; a kindergarten, the first in South Carolina and one of the first in the nation; and early efforts at foster family care.

http://www.cydc.org/about/?id=383

Connie Maxwell Children's Home

Contact Information:

When sending mail to Connie Maxwell please use our post office box:
Connie Maxwell Children’s Home P.O. Box 1178 Greenwood, SC 29648-1178

Connie Maxwell Children's Home is a residential childcare ministry or children's home of the South Carolina Baptist Convention for abused children and neglected children.

A Brief Sketch of the History of Connie Maxwell Children’s Home

W.W. Keys formally stated the call for an orphanage to be operated by South Carolina Baptists in a Baptist Courier editorial in 1888. Three years later a site was secured for the new orphanage, now a children’s home, and it would be located in Greenwood, primarily through the generosity of Dr. J.C. Maxwell and his wife, Sarah. The Maxwell’s had lost their seven-year-old daughter, Connie, to scarlet fever in 1883. To honor her memory, the Maxwell’s gave South Carolina Baptists more than 480 acres and willed their estate to be used in starting this tender ministry for children. Twelve-year-old Susie Burton from Newberry County was the first child received into care on May 22, 1892. By year’s end, 25 other boys and girls had joined Susie and Superintendent J.L. Vass in the new Baptist work.

http://www.conniemaxwell.com/html/about_us.html

OK, that's good for now, those cover the basic area that the driver (Eric Hager) and Jason Doe seemed to be heading. I may see if I can find FAX numbers for those listed and send them off Jason's information. It couldn't hurt to try...afterwards, I may try fanning out and try covering the DC area (where the concert was) and perhaps east of there.

Lutheran Family Services in the Carolinas

Regional Administrative Offices

Brittain Center
616 Hutton Street
Raleigh, NC 27606
(919) 832-2620

Albemarle Center
4822 Albemarle Road
Suite 240
Charlotte, NC 28205
(704) 940-3333

Triton Building
1031 Summit Avenue
Suite 1 E 2
Greensboro, NC 27405
(336) 553-1501

Cauble Center
1118 Union Street
Columbia, SC 29201
(803) 750-9917

Lutheran Family Services in the Carolinas serves children and youths all across North and South Carolina

These services have been in place in one form or another since 1888

http://www.lfscarolinas.org/who-we-are/history/

ADMINISTRATIVE HEADQUARTERS

1041 Washington Street
Raleigh, NC 27605-1259
phone 919.833.2834
fax 919.755.1833
toll-free 1.888.305.4321

The Jordan Child & Family Enrichment Center

1305 Glenwood Avenue
Raleigh, NC 27605
phone 919.833.5428
fax 919.833.5441
toll free 888.305.4321

Our small, community-based group homes provide short-term emergency care as well as longer stays.

For more than 100 years, Methodist Home for Children (MHC) has provided care for North Carolina's youth and families. Founded in 1899 as a traditional campus-based orphanage in Raleigh, MHC is now a community-based agency active throughout North Carolina, especially in the central and eastern regions. MHC provides an array of programs and services to:
ensure that children grow up in safe, loving homes
educate parents and caregivers about how best to nurture children and young adults
help young people navigate adolescence and,
work to eradicate the social and family problems that lead to abuse, neglect, family disruption, and child abandonment.

http://www.mhfc.org/home/

Nazareth Children's Home

Contact Information

Phone No: 1-888-207-0250
Fax Number: 704-279-5430
Address: Nazareth Children's Home, Inc.
725 Crescent Road, P.O. Box 1438 Rockwell, NC 28138

Nazareth Children's Home will use the Teaching-Family Model as its core but will also provide psychiatric and psychological services through local providers such as Piedmont Mental Health.

Nazareth Children's Home was founded by the Rev. and Mrs. J.M.L. Lyerly in 1903 as an orphanage and officially opened its doors to children in 1906. For many years, Nazareth Children's Home provided care for disadvantaged or orphaned children as a traditional orphanage. Children who were admitted to Nazareth remained indefinitely, leaving only when they had completed school or reached adulthood.

http://www.nazch.com/index.html

Sipe's Orchard Home

Contact Information

4431 County Home Rd.
Conover, NC 28613
(828) 256-5056 (phone)
(828) 256-4031 (fax)
sipes@sipesorchardhome.org

Children's home offering residential care to boys and girls in North Carolina

Growing into their dreams. . .

Since the 1940's, Sipe's Orchard Home has offered a safe & caring home for children.
Today, the Orchard serves children with a variety of programs:

http://www.sipesorchardhome.org/

Postal address
7330 Myrtle Drive
Nebo, NC 28761
Telephone
828-584-1105
FAX
828-584-8910
Electronic mail: lwhite@southmountain.org

The program serves children who, for various reasons, cannot live together in their own homes.

A Hundred Years From Now...
...it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of
house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove....but the world
may be different because I was important in the life of a child.

Providing Pathways of Change Since 1903

http://www.southmountain.org/

Youth Homes, Inc.

Contact Information

601 East Fifth Street
Suite 330
Charlotte, NC 28202-2914
704-334-9955 Phone
704-375-7497 Fax
Several email addresses listed here also

Youth Homes Inc. is a private, non-profit agency that has been providing residential and family strengthening services for children and families in Charlotte-Mecklenburg County since 1975.

Youth Homes, a division of the Children's Home Society of North Carolina, is a nationally COA-accredited, private nonprofit agency that has been providing supportive human services to children and families in Charlotte and Mecklenburg County since 1975. As part of its mission of “Building Promising Futures for Children and Their Families,” YH provides foster care, family preservation and strengthening, and delinquency prevention services to children and families in crisis. Last year, YH was a positive turning point in the lives of over 600 children and their families.

http://www.youthhomesinc.org/

I sent emails to the following:

Eliada Homes and Services for Children and Families

Contact Information:

Eliada Homes, Inc.
2 Compton Drive
P.O. Box 16708
Asheville, NC 28816
828-254-5356
E-mail: info@eliada.org
-----------------------------------------------
Carolina Children's Home

Contact Information

Phone: (803) 787-2306
Fax: (803) 787-2642
E-Mail: info@carolinachildrenshome.com
---------------------------------------------------
Sipe's Orchard Home

Contact Information

4431 County Home Rd.
Conover, NC 28613
(828) 256-5056 (phone)
(828) 256-4031 (fax)
EMAIL:sipes@sipesorchardhome.org
---------------------------------------------------

Postal address
7330 Myrtle Drive
Nebo, NC 28761
Telephone
828-584-1105
FAX
828-584-8910
Electronic mail: lwhite@southmountain.org

More contact information:

ARP Phoenix
Asheville NC

Contact Information:

Phone: 828-254-2700 or 877-678-2696 • E-mail: info@arpnc.org Emailed them 8/17/2010
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Horizon Recovery Inc
Asheville NC

Contact Us -

Dan Rutt Director (402) 462-2066 (402) 462-2045
Peg Mohlman Clinical Director (402) 462-2066 (402) 462-2045
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Counseling Insights
Charlotte NC

Need to check this one out...my link in above post #4 is not working.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Beginnings of Southern Piedmont
Charlotte NC

Contact Us:

Substance Abuse Services
1508 Cleveland Avenue
Charlotte NC 28203
Phone: (704) 334-6574

RKnowley, you are amazing! Thanks for working so hard on Jason Doe's case. Seriously, you are awesome!

Thank you annemc2, I want to find out this young man's identity so badly, so that he can be at rest and for his family (if he has any) to finally know what happened to him.

I know that I may be grasping at straws, sending out these emails and FAX's. etc., since we have no real idea where Jason was from, but, at least I feel like there is a slight chance someone along the way may have known him.

RKnowley, you are amazing! Thanks for working so hard on Jason Doe's case. Seriously, you are awesome!

Sipe's Orchard Home

Contact Information

4431 County Home Rd.
Conover, NC 28613
(828) 256-5056 (phone)
(828) 256-4031 (fax)
EMAIL:sipes@sipesorchardhome.org

To: (email address removed for privacy)
Date:Wed, Aug 18, 2010 10:34 am

Thank you for the photos......no I'm sorry he is not from Sipe's Orchard Home......I hope you locate who he is......Brian

RKnowley you are one persistent sleuther and organized to boot. Let's hope that this current venture really comes through with some positive results.

Wow RKnowley ... just a big ole Wow for what you are doing.

eleph

Elon Homes for Children (Sent FAX 8/19/2010)

Contact Information (several locations listed..this looked like the best campus to begin with.)

Kennedy Campus - Charlotte, North Carolina

Elon Homes for Children
1717 Sharon Road West
Charlotte, NC 28210
Phone: (704) 369-2500
Fax: (704) 688-2960
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Jordan Child & Family Enrichment Center (Sent FAX 8/19/2010)

1305 Glenwood Avenue
Raleigh, NC 27605
phone 919.833.5428
fax 919.833.5441
toll free 888.305.4321

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Methodist Home for Children (Sent FAX 8/19/2010)

ADMINISTRATIVE HEADQUARTERS

1041 Washington Street
Raleigh, NC 27605-1259
phone 919.833.2834
fax 919.755.1833
toll-free 1.888.305.4321
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nazareth Children's Home (Tried sending FAX 8/19/2010, number was not in working order)

Contact Information

Phone No: 1-888-207-0250
Fax Number: 704-279-5430
Address: Nazareth Children's Home, Inc.
725 Crescent Road, P.O. Box 1438 Rockwell, NC 28138

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Youth Homes, Inc. (Sent FAX 8/19/2010)

Contact Information

601 East Fifth Street
Suite 330
Charlotte, NC 28202-2914
704-334-9955 Phone
704-375-7497 Fax

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I learned something just now - didn't know you could setup a google spreadsheet like that for all to see with a one-click of the button.

That is a powerful tool to use to keep this all organized and to see the results as they come in.

Don't know why but something in my gut is telling/shouting at me that Jason was from New York ... no explanation/no facts/no nothing to base this on ... nada nothing.

I admire your tenacity in this sleuthing effort and have bookmarked the spreadsheet for easy reference.

eleph

Carolina Youth Development Center (Sent email 8/20/2010)

Several persons listed as contacts here: http://www.cydc.org/contact/?id=404

CYDC provides programs that reach more than 500 children and youth each year. We care for young people with very serious problems, including physical and sexual abuse, neglect, abandonment, and severe emotional disorders.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back